Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 5th, 2016, 10:02 PM   #1
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

All Balls Steering Stem kit?

I am replacing my fork set- triple, shocks ... on my 04 GSXR 750

How would you go about redoing the front end?

I bought a used set that looks tidy from ebay for 299.99

The one photo shows the outer dust seals as being abit cracked.

I was thinking since my motorcycle is a 2004 it might be a good idea to rebuild the suspension before installing it. The oil ages? right? so a freshen up with new seals would be good preventative maintenance?

Alas - I arrived at the question- Is there any actual measurable benefit to having a needle bearing up-date from All Balls over the oem caged ball bearings in the steering stem?

Should I upgrade the steering stabilizer?

Any how - While I have been waiting for the parts to come in the mail I was considering how I should support the bike while I changed out the front end.

So I was sitting on the couch staring at it across the living room and I thought maybe I should make an oversized "rearstand" that can straddle the engine and support the bike from the spoolish frame sliders?>

So I grabbed some Thin wall EMT and ground the galvanized off it quick. Bendy bendy weldy weldy and viola . Almost finished. I did melt the wheels a bit when I was welding but I think it will still be functional for what little use it sees. I will up load photos in a bit.
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2016, 10:49 PM   #2
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

In for photos.

And no complaints about oem ninja 250 forks after installing stiffer springs, preload adjusters, honda SS7.5wt fork oil, and intiminators. More preload from longer spring spacers (cut pipe) turned out to be better than less.

Harsh bumps at 55mph, and the bike floats without losing front end feel. Soft bumps at 55mph, the bike feels equally stuck to the road. 28psi in the front.

Feels even more stable at higher speeds.

Install some cable ties around your front fork tubes, so when suspension compresses, the cable tie will be pushed up the tube. Tune the suspension so you get close to bottoming out on fork travel on a very aggressive ride. No sense in having things too stiff and not using all of the available travel. Cable ties on fork legs are a good way to measure how much of the travel you are using.

Old March 6th, 2016, 06:39 PM   #3
HoneyBadgerRy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
I was thinking since my motorcycle is a 2004 it might be a good idea to rebuild the suspension before installing it. The oil ages? right? so a freshen up with new seals would be good preventative maintenance?

Alas - I arrived at the question- Is there any actual measurable benefit to having a needle bearing up-date from All Balls over the oem caged ball bearings in the steering stem?

Should I upgrade the steering stabilizer?

Any how - While I have been waiting for the parts to come in the mail I was considering how I should support the bike while I changed out the front end.
Rebuilding the suspension is always a good idea. Fresh oil can go along way.

I believe the only benefit to the needle bearing setup is thag they last longer.

If you feel like the steering stabilizer is insufficient, then upgrade it, but if it does its job, then there is no need to upgrade. Some steering stabilizers you can change the oil to a thicker weight for more stabilization.

I have a lot of tools and hoist, but when I take the forks off my bike I almost always end up just hanging it by a ratching stamp (like you use to tie it down in a trailer).

Old March 6th, 2016, 07:18 PM   #4
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Josh I guess with needle bearing you mean tapered roller bearings?

This is a translation from SKF (THE bearing company...):
"Basically, each bearing has its "reason to be"
Because you can write several theses about it and everybody will find his own.
Tapered roller bearings are particularly suitable for receiving combined loads (radial and axially acting simultaneously).
One should always be careful what load cases. If you have high axial AND radial forces you would prefer for taper roller bearings, but with the restriction that no axial misalignment might be present.
In the opposite to ball bearings the tapered roller bearings have as a further disadvantage that they have to cope with more friction and therefore run a bit more cumbersome than ball bearings. This has the reason that in the best case, each ball in use has exactly two point loads, whereas each role has two full lines as a burden. Where it gets here but also on the profiles of the bearings.

Disadvantage: they are more expensive! But this at least is the only one.
Advantage: You run more stably and accurately, they last longer and give everything more stability - thus causing more accurate driving with more rest in the chassis."
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 12th, 2016, 05:50 PM   #5
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

I am ordering seals . The frame slider stand I welded up for the bike is supporti g it nicely. It is a bit wobble ly considering I welded it out of 3/4emt. I am going to rebuild the forks and put them on then order the rest of what I need to get it rideable.

Old March 20th, 2016, 06:57 AM   #6
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Bike on my home made engine stand. Basically an oversized rear stand that supports the frame sliders.

Old March 29th, 2016, 07:40 AM   #7
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Nice solution to your problem! I usually end up with a "A" frame ladder over the bike and a couple of straps but I might just copy your Idea!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2016, 11:53 AM   #8
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
Josh I guess with needle bearing you mean tapered roller bearings?

This is a translation from SKF (THE bearing company...):
"Basically, each bearing has its "reason to be"
Because you can write several theses about it and everybody will find his own.
Tapered roller bearings are particularly suitable for receiving combined loads (radial and axially acting simultaneously).
One should always be careful what load cases. If you have high axial AND radial forces you would prefer for taper roller bearings, but with the restriction that no axial misalignment might be present.
In the opposite to ball bearings the tapered roller bearings have as a further disadvantage that they have to cope with more friction and therefore run a bit more cumbersome than ball bearings. This has the reason that in the best case, each ball in use has exactly two point loads, whereas each role has two full lines as a burden. Where it gets here but also on the profiles of the bearings.

Disadvantage: they are more expensive! But this at least is the only one.
Advantage: You run more stably and accurately, they last longer and give everything more stability - thus causing more accurate driving with more rest in the chassis."
If tapered roller bearings allow more stable and accurate driving, why does the Yamaha MotoGP bike use ball bearings in the steering head.?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MotoGP Steering Head Bearings.jpg (120.3 KB, 6 views)
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2016, 06:12 PM   #9
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
If tapered roller bearings allow more stable and accurate driving, why does the Yamaha MotoGP bike use ball bearings in the steering head.?
Why do you ask me?
I think it would be better to ask Yamaha to get a qualified answer.

Old March 29th, 2016, 07:42 PM   #10
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Why do you ask me?
I think it would be better to ask Yamaha to get a qualified answer.
Because you are claiming that the only disadvantage to tapered steering head bearings is that they are more expensive. Certainly Yamaha is not concerned with saving money by buying cheaper bearings. The reason that Yamaha uses ball bearings in the steering head is because they provide better feel. So your claim that there is only one disadvantage to tapered bearings is untrue.

Old March 29th, 2016, 09:16 PM   #11
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Quote:
Because you are claiming that the only disadvantage to tapered steering head bearings is that they are more expensive. Certainly Yamaha is not concerned with saving money by buying cheaper bearings. The reason that Yamaha uses ball bearings in the steering head is because they provide better feel. So your claim that there is only one disadvantage to tapered bearings is untrue.
When you're able to read then you would clearly see and understand that I'd only translate what SKF said and believe me that their knowledge is on a much higher level than a "Mr. I-know-everything-better-than-others".
But so for me it looks like you're on the way to argue only.

Old March 30th, 2016, 04:38 AM   #12
tgold
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
When you're able to read then you would clearly see and understand that I'd only translate what SKF said and believe me that their knowledge is on a much higher level than a "Mr. I-know-everything-better-than-others".
But so for me it looks like you're on the way to argue only.
SKF gives a very general comparison of tapered vs ball bearings but does not go into some crucial details of the application. They actually do use the word "cumbersome" to describe the difference between tapered vs ball bearings and that is where the difference in feel comes in. Regardless, the experts in this particular application would be a very successful MotoGP team, not me. And this directly addresses the OP's question: Tapered bearings can be more durable, but at the expense of feel. There is always a compromise when making a choice.

BTW, the All Balls cross-reference list is very valuable for finding the bearings that you need to swap front ends. I have used them myself.

Old March 30th, 2016, 05:17 AM   #13
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Quote:
SKF gives a very general comparison of tapered vs ball bearings but does not go into some crucial details of the application. They actually do use the word "cumbersome" to describe the difference between tapered vs ball bearings and that is where the difference in feel comes in. Regardless, the experts in this particular application would be a very successful MotoGP team, not me. And this directly addresses the OP's question: Tapered bearings can be more durable, but at the expense of feel. There is always a compromise when making a choice.

BTW, the All Balls cross-reference list is very valuable for finding the bearings that you need to swap front ends. I have used them myself.
Ok now especially for you the dissolution to your question:
Yamaha in their MotoGP-Bike uses an aluminum profile frame with an adjustable steering head - this is not possible with tapered roller bearings.
But this you should know very well!

Old March 30th, 2016, 05:28 AM   #14
tgold
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Ok now especially for you the dissolution to your question:
Yamaha in their MotoGP-Bike uses an aluminum profile frame with an adjustable steering head - this is not possible with tapered roller bearings.
But this you should know very well!
What I know very well is that tapered steering head bearings do preclude having an adjustable steering head.

I'm out on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2s0bpjm.jpg (83.4 KB, 1 views)