ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 11th, 2021, 12:07 AM   #1
YoungReezy619
ninjette.org member

Name: Deshone

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Exclamation Water in crank case.

I recently received a ninja 250 as a gift (new rider). The air box was removed and replaced with some after market air filters by last owner so there is no air box. The hole in top of crank case has nothing covering it and not sure if it is suppose to. I’ve ridden the bike a couple times. Went to start it today and water started shooting out of the crank case which it’s never done. Why would water be in there? What happened?
YoungReezy619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2021, 05:57 AM   #2
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Yes, the crankcase vent should have (at very least) a filter. Inexperienced hands have removed the airbox, leaving the cc breather entryway exposed to the elements!

Sounds as if it was left outdoors for some term and water has filled it! Dump your oil and filter immediately......as in DON'T even start it until you do so.

A tight fitting hose over the vent, plus a K&N vent filter (see internet) should get you better.

Long term....seek and replace the airbox and associated piping, return to normal jetting specs.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 11th, 2021, 07:03 AM   #3
YoungReezy619
ninjette.org member

The bike was outside but it was covered the whole time. And it hasn’t been sitting that long. This all happened yesterday and I rode the bike last weekend and it was fine. The water has to be from somewhere internal. The water coming out also has a slight smell of fuel to it.

Old July 11th, 2021, 08:03 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Are you sure there's any water at all? It's possible the carb float valves are not sealing and your petcock is leaking, causing the crankcase to fill with gasoline. It happened recently to another member here.

Obviously you need to change the engine oil and the oil filter. When you do that you can see if there is really water, which will go to the bottom and be the first to drain out, or if it's gasoline, which will mix with the oil. Then we can go from there.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 11th, 2021, 08:26 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
If it isn't rain water, it has to be coolant. Check the level on the coolant overflow bottle.

As noted, it could also be gas. That would mean the petcock and the carb need attention. The petcock is supposed to stop fuel flow unless there is vacuum (engine running) and the carb's float valves are supposed to stop fuel flow unless the fuel level in the floatbowls drop (running).

If you have gas in the oil, both have failed to work properly.

In any case, you need to figure out what is going on before changing the oil/filter and starting the engine.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2021, 08:32 AM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
In any case, you need to figure out what is going on before changing the oil/filter and starting the engine.

Right... drain what's in there to see what it really is, but don't refill until you know what the problem is and correct it.

Old July 11th, 2021, 09:54 AM   #7
YoungReezy619
ninjette.org member

The coolant level was good when I checked

So to check the petcock I jst need to pull the hoses off and see if fuel is constantly coming out? For the carb open it and see if the floats are stuck in the down position?

There no other way fuel can get down there?

Old July 11th, 2021, 10:01 AM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungReezy619 View Post
For the carb open it and see if the floats are stuck in the down position?
The usual way the float valves leak is the floats themselves work properly, but when the needle is pushed into its seat, there is not a good seal. It can happen from wear or from dirt.

It's possible that the float arms can get stuck, but not usually on a motorcycle that's been in running condition. Checking for free movement of the floats is always a good idea though.

Old July 11th, 2021, 10:04 AM   #9
YoungReezy619
ninjette.org member

Okay I’m going to check the carb out today and see if the seals are messed up. I’ll let y’all know what happens.

Old July 11th, 2021, 03:04 PM   #10
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

Name: Sergey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ZZR250 (EX250H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungReezy619 View Post
The coolant level was good when I checked

So to check the petcock I jst need to pull the hoses off and see if fuel is constantly coming out? For the carb open it and see if the floats are stuck in the down position?

There no other way fuel can get down there?
Where did you check the coolant ? In the overflow tank ? that will only be an indicator if the radiator cap is sealing properly. If it does not the tank might indicate a proper level while the radiator can be empty and leak completely out if there is another hole

To check if the valves are sealing properly just connect a transparent hose to the carb drain outlet on the bottom and point the other end up. Open the screw valve that closes that drain valve and observe the fuel level. If the tank is valve is in the on position and good as well as the float valve is working fine the fuel will level. You can then switch to prime. If the level does not change your float valve is good. Be careful here if the level is higher than the main jet it will leak into the intake. So open slowly and if you see it’s getting to that point stop.

But if its gas in your oil wiit ll smell like gas So its easy to understand whether its gas or something else.
SibSerge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2021, 11:41 PM   #11
YoungReezy619
ninjette.org member

So I finally took everything apart today. Drained it and it’s def fuel ha. Pulled the tank and hoses off and the petcock not leaking from anywhere(still jst enough gas in the tank to make something come out if it was leaking) took the carb apart and the only thing I really see that could be wrong is one of the little needle valve things that the float attaches to doesn’t spring back up as much as the other one. They are both freely moving but on jst seems a little more worn. All gaskets look good. All other parts have been recently cleaned. What y’all think?

Old July 16th, 2021, 04:46 AM   #12
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Renew/replace the float valves, clean the seats, use wet test to determine bowls fuel levels, tweaking as necessary to attain correct, equal levels.

Additionally, still recommend a crankcase breather filter as well, if not full airbox replacement.

Last futzed with by ducatiman; July 16th, 2021 at 07:13 AM.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 16th, 2021, 04:58 AM   #13
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Agreeing with Ducatiman above... Fuel had to get past the petcock to then also get past the leaking float valves to fill the engine like that. Is it possible you accidentally left it in the "prime" position when the problem happened?

Old July 24th, 2021, 12:32 PM   #14
JayVapes
ninjette.org member

Name: Honorio

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250

I agree with ducatiman

I sent him my carb and it came back mint!

Last futzed with by JayVapes; July 24th, 2021 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Mispelled
JayVapes is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 4th, 2021, 04:44 AM   #15
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Vacuum petcocks usually leak in my experience they hardly ever seal off completely... My 2012 Ninja 250R 's vacuum petcock leaks real bad
it's like it's left on prime it's so bad ! i've had it apart 2 times but cannot find a thing wrong with it ! ...it just leaks !and there is no way to shut it off.
if the tank is a bit Rusty I'ed say there's your problem ! the rust will make the
petcock leak and the floats leak too ....
I used Kreem tank liner in my gas tank and it did a good job no more rust !
I should have left the acid etch in longer though...
Good luck fixing that monster !
Bob.......