Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:24 AM   #1
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Window tint on visors?

Does anyone use automotive window tint on their visors? I was thinking about how quickly my visor is getting scratched up, and how much of a pain it is to keep it clean, and I was thinking that using some light tint on it would be like a screen protector on the phone, once it starts getting bad just rip it off and put on a new piece, cheaper than replacing the visor every few months.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:42 AM   #2
the big mike
ninjette.org sage

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, Fazer8

You have to replace your visor every few months?

Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:47 AM   #3
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

I haven't yet, but 13000 miles worth of bugs against the visor have taken a toll, and it is getting hard to see in poor weather conditions, so yeah, I'm thinking about replacing it already.

My other thought was trying the stuff you use to restore headlamps, I'm thinking about trying that stuff on the windshield of an older bmw touring bike that is getting pretty scratched and cloudy.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:07 AM   #4
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Do a search, but I believe @alex.s posted something about restoring a visor from being all scratched up. Not sure but I recall it having to do with a oven too??

Hopefully I am somewhat right and he will be able to pipe in.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:25 AM   #5
ilovemotocicleta
ninjette.org member

Name: mark

Motorcycle(s): ex300,1996 vs800 (sold), 1992 vs800 (hit by car lol)

Don't use plastic scratch remover like headlight restorer. I made that mistake. Its hazy at night if you do
ilovemotocicleta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:58 AM   #6
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

wow I have had the same helmet and visor for 8 years I just replaced it last season.

Not sure on the brand your buying but I have had good look with shoei.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:19 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to gear

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 12:53 PM   #8
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
wow I have had the same helmet and visor for 8 years I just replaced it last season.

Not sure on the brand your buying but I have had good look with shoei.
Yeah, people do tend to have better luck with more expensive brands, but even if I bought a new visor for mine every 3 months it would still not be as expensive as a shoei over the course of 5 years, which by the way, is when they recommend that you replace helmets due to the degradation of the plastics and foams, which break down over time, regardless of brand.

I'd love to have a pricier helmet, but this is what I have right now, just trying to make it work better for longer.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:14 PM   #9
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
Yeah, people do tend to have better luck with more expensive brands, but even if I bought a new visor for mine every 3 months it would still not be as expensive as a shoei over the course of 5 years, which by the way, is when they recommend that you replace helmets due to the degradation of the plastics and foams, which break down over time, regardless of brand.

I'd love to have a pricier helmet, but this is what I have right now, just trying to make it work better for longer.
The helmet is the most important part of your gear so spend 800 bucks to save your life.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 03:28 PM   #10
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
The helmet is the most important part of your gear so spend 800 bucks to save your life.
I'm not convinced that a more spendy helmet would really be all that much better than what I have.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 03:43 PM   #11
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I'm not convinced that a more spendy helmet would really be all that much better than what I have.
Well i guess moto gp should not pay 2k for a helmet and use a 400 dollar helmet I'm sure they will be fine.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 04:35 PM   #12
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

http://www.revzilla.com/product/arai-saq-sal-tear-offs

Are (visor) tear offs legal for street use?
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 05:54 PM   #13
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Well i guess moto gp should not pay 2k for a helmet and use a 400 dollar helmet I'm sure they will be fine.
The more expensive helmets are for the features like being lighter, more aerodynamic, quieter and etc. I've never seen a helmet that is being advertised as the best helmet to be in if you crash. Paying more does not equate to safer. Here is an article about how a journalist got fired for supposedly posting the truth about how a $79 helmet did better than the $400 helmets. http://jalopnik.com/5582380/how-the-...urnalist-fired.

Here is the article he wrote
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/au...NELL.html?_r=0

Of course this was written in 2009 so you can form your own opinion on it if you want. When I see an article that says a 2000 helmet can protect my head 10x better than a 200 helmet then you can go around saying you are right. Arguing over something like this is a moot point without evidence.
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:03 PM   #14
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
More than likely, yes, although at some point you are probably getting into custom fit helmets that will protect better because they fit better, but I'm guessing very few people on this board, even those spending 6-800 dollars for a helmet, have custom built helmets.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:18 PM   #15
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

hey its your guys life I have premium helmets and I have cheap helmets the difference is night and day. It only take one fall at low speed to kill you or worse make you a vegetable so why save a few bucks when its so important.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:41 PM   #16
beerhalffull
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09' Ninja 250R

Quote:
hey its your guys life I have premium helmets and I have cheap helmets the difference is night and day. It only take one fall at low speed to kill you or worse make you a vegetable so why save a few bucks when its so important.
+1 I totally agree, but let them make their own decisions on life.

ChaoSS to answer your question - no. Do not tint/coat your own shield. If you're going to stay with your economic helmets simply replace the visors when you need to or follow the guidance of others to try and restore your current visor. If you decide to invest in a more expensive helmet in the future you'll be delightfully surprised but the difference in just about every way.
beerhalffull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #17
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhalffull View Post
+1 I totally agree, but let them make their own decisions on life.

ChaoSS to answer your question - no. Do not tint/coat your own shield. If you're going to stay with your economic helmets simply replace the visors when you need to or follow the guidance of others to try and restore your current visor. If you decide to invest in a more expensive helmet in the future you'll be delightfully surprised but the difference in just about every way.
I'm sure I will get a better helmet at some point, but no matter the visor, I'm sure that the abuse of 800 miles a week through the bugs, plus all too often rolling on the concrete and asphalt, will damage any visor eventually.

And I'd love to restore my visor, any suggestions?

Old February 4th, 2013, 07:44 AM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Once a visor is scratched enough that you're considering throwing it away, one trick is to put it through the dishwasher. It can do a surprisingly decent job at polishing away some smaller scratches.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old February 4th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Also - not sure what you're currently using to polish the visor, but Plexus does a great job. It does a reasonable job of protecting the visor from getting scratched up, and also polishes out smaller scratches while cleaning the visor.

Old February 4th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #20
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
Do a search, but I believe @alex.s posted something about restoring a visor from being all scratched up. Not sure but I recall it having to do with a oven too??

Hopefully I am somewhat right and he will be able to pipe in.
Wasn't me. I have destroyed plenty of visors though

Old February 4th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #21
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
I'm sure I will get a better helmet at some point, but no matter the visor, I'm sure that the abuse of 800 miles a week through the bugs, plus all too often rolling on the concrete and asphalt, will damage any visor eventually.

And I'd love to restore my visor, any suggestions?
Whats your visor doing on the asphalt? Might also go a long way to take care with your helmet and where you set it. I treat mine like a baby. Hope you get it all sorted though. Good luck!

Old February 4th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #22
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

A friend mentioned using plain, white, offbrand toothpaste. He says that is what they used in the army and it works as long as it is minor scratches. You just let it sit for 10 minutes then come back and wipe it with a nonabrasive cloth.
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #23
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
There was a thread on this just recently, but I can't find it. Anyways someone... maybe @Motofool posted a link... http://www.ehow.com/how_7647171_remo...et-visors.html. I tend to bookmark useful threads or links, for future reference.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #24
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Also - not sure what you're currently using to polish the visor, but Plexus does a great job. It does a reasonable job of protecting the visor from getting scratched up, and also polishes out smaller scratches while cleaning the visor.
At this point, all I do is clean it. I'll try the plexus, the dishwasher idea is a no go since the only dishwasher we have, I married her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Wasn't me. I have destroyed plenty of visors though
Guess that would be why I couldn't find it when I searched your posts for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
Whats your visor doing on the asphalt? Might also go a long way to take care with your helmet and where you set it. I treat mine like a baby. Hope you get it all sorted though. Good luck!
Every night, I ride to work. I stick the helmet in the truck, drive out to a meet point, and have to pull out all my stuff, including my helmet, and stick it on the ground so I can load it in the truck I bring back. I load up, come back into town, and then throw all my stuff out of the truck so I can unload some of the load while the next guy gets his stuff in the truck. Then, I get to walk over to where I keep my bike and get headed over to the second location, where we unload more stuff, then I get to go home.

I don't have time to baby my helmet. I don't throw or drop it on the ground, but it has been known to roll once I set it down. That's another reason I don't want a spendy helmet, I'd cringe at every imperfection I put into a brand new 600 dollar helmet.

Old February 4th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #25
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
The more expensive helmets are for the features like being lighter, more aerodynamic, quieter and etc. I've never seen a helmet that is being advertised as the best helmet to be in if you crash. Paying more does not equate to safer. Here is an article about how a journalist got fired for supposedly posting the truth about how a $79 helmet did better than the $400 helmets. http://jalopnik.com/5582380/how-the-...urnalist-fired.

Here is the article he wrote
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/au...NELL.html?_r=0

Of course this was written in 2009 so you can form your own opinion on it if you want. When I see an article that says a 2000 helmet can protect my head 10x better than a 200 helmet then you can go around saying you are right. Arguing over something like this is a moot point without evidence.
While it's true super expensive lids are mostly paying for things like lighter weight (carbon fiber), it's also true that DOT certification is crap. Half helmets can pass the DOT testing! I will pay a little more for Snell 2010 certs (you can find Snell 2010 lids for as little as ~$250).

Old February 4th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #26
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
While it's true super expensive lids are mostly paying for things like lighter weight (carbon fiber), it's also true that DOT certification is crap. Half helmets can pass the DOT testing! I will pay a little more for Snell 2010 certs (you can find Snell 2010 lids for as little as ~$250).
A helmet that is DOT Certified does not mean is falls below Snell standards. It could just not have been tested by Snell. I'm guessing here, but perhaps it is expensive to obtain the Snell cert, therefore low price point manufacturers do not submit for testing in order to keep the cost down and ultimately their price down as well.

To the helmet Nazis, if you want everyone to have a more expensive helmet then go buy it for them. Otherwise stop trying to tell people how to spend their money.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #27
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNinja8 View Post
A helmet that is DOT Certified does not mean is falls below Snell standards. It could just not have been tested by Snell. I'm guessing here, but perhaps it is expensive to obtain the Snell cert, therefore low price point manufacturers do not submit for testing in order to keep the cost down and ultimately their price down as well.
Bullpuckey. Adding the Snell cert would allow them to charge more for the same helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNinja8 View Post
To the helmet Nazis, if you want everyone to have a more expensive helmet then go buy it for them. Otherwise stop trying to tell people how to spend their money.
But it's OK for you to share your ill-informed views that every helmet is exactly as good as any other?

Old February 5th, 2013, 04:07 AM   #28
ShadowStalk3r
ninjette.org member

Name: Pierre

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
Bullpuckey. Adding the Snell cert would allow them to charge more for the same helmet.

But it's OK for you to share your ill-informed views that every helmet is exactly as good as any other?
He never said that.
ShadowStalk3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #29
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

Chances are with pricier helmets all you're paying for is extra comfort features and partially for the name. If you compare two helmets that have the same ratings (such as Snell, ECE, etc.) they'll both protect you even if one is $500 cheaper. If you believe that paying $800 will save you better than a $250 helmet then good for you, but I've never seen evidence proving that. And moto gp helmets are expensive because they're custom built for that persons liking and the build materials to make it lighter. Just because you spend more on something doesn't mean it is better. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion so who cares.

To the OP, I wouldn't tint it I would try some methods of getting the scratches out and if it doesn't work get a new visor. And if you have a quick detach option on your helmet you could remove the visor when you get to work and keep it from getting scratched. Other then that and cleaning it after riding there's not much more you can do to prevent wear and tear.
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #30
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Quote:

I expect more from you Alex. When did I say that every helmet is exactly as good as any other? Never did. I said that just because it is not Snell certified does not mean that it would not meet Snell standards. Similarly, having a motorcycle license does not make you a safer rider than someone who doesn't have a license. Examples like this exist all over.

Not taking the test does not = inability to pass the test.

While adding a Snell cert may allow them to charge more, that may not fit their target market. Charging more does not equal more profit. If that were the way business worked, every car would come with navigation, auto assist parking, heated cup holders, etc. Businesses forgo inclusions that would improve their product in order to keep costs down all day. And as you can see from this discussion, there are plenty of buyers who appreciate it, whether or not you or anyone else agree with their logic.

Personally, I filtered all my helmet searches for Snell certification because I did not have the time to personally research enough. I let the Snell cert speak for it's safety. But that does not definitively mean that my helmet is more safe than a DOT only helmet. Had that DOT helmet failed the Snell test, then yes it would be.

Old February 5th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #31
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Fair enough, but that's a different take on things that Snell-rated helmets are likely just as safe as DOT-rated helmets, as the DOT helmet probably would have passed other tests if they went through the trouble. It relies on some very thin assumptions that don't hold up very well in aggregate, though perhaps there are some exceptions along the way. (Helmets that pursue ECE instead, for example).

You immediately went to the ever-present Nazi slam at anyone in this thread who was warning against going cheap on the most important piece of safety gear we wear. Then discounting the value of testing that is explicitly defined to judge the effectiveness of that safety, made it that much more grating.

Old February 5th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #32
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Fair enough, but that's a different take on things that Snell-rated helmets are likely just as safe as DOT-rated helmets, as the DOT helmet probably would have passed other tests if they went through the trouble. It relies on some very thin assumptions that don't hold up very well in aggregate, though perhaps there are some exceptions along the way. (Helmets that pursue ECE instead, for example).

You immediately went to the ever-present Nazi slam at anyone in this thread who was warning against going cheap on the most important piece of safety gear we wear. Then discounting the value of testing that is explicitly defined to judge the effectiveness of that safety, made it that much more grating.
I'll give you that, poor choice of words using the Nazi slam. I'm not discrediting the value of safety certifications, I'm pointing out that certification testing is not all-inclusive. Therefore you can make the argument that all Snell helmets meet the testing standards, but you cannot make the argument that all non-snell helmets do not meet the standards. I'm just trying to speak objectively.

Old February 5th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #33
Alex
ninjette.org dude

gfloyd (primarily) put together an informative wiki entry on helmet safety here:

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Helmets

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:36 AM   #34
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
gfloyd (primarily) put together an informative wiki entry on helmet safety here:

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Helmets
Good read. I really didn't, however, intend to start a fight over helmets, just looking for information on visor restoration and protection.

Old February 19th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #35
lindasninja
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Linda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250J

These are try at own risk and if it fail’s I have care factor of zero! Probably try this when you have nothing to lose! Mine was replaceable as scratched where I look, but was fairly new, so tried Braso on my visor, and hubbys front screen, not sure where I heard about it, its nasty stuff, not sure if you can get it over in US, stinks of ammonia badly!

Did make a marked difference, front screen had a few bad deep scratches and smoothed theses a little, but not completely, don’t it around 12 months ago and hasn’t made the plastic go brittle or anything so far, which was my concern!
I put it on, gave it a bit of a light rub into the bad bits then rinsed it under running water, then re cleaned with dish soap, finished it with plexus. Could try using toothpaste perhaps, or if your prepared to put some work, elbow grease into it, corn flower is the best and finest sanding stuff around, to microscopic scratches out? Use it on painted surfaces if you’re totally pedantic and don’t ride a lot!

As for window tint tried this might have been that the tint wasn’t flexible enough, and helmets visor is more like a hammock so needs to curve in at sides and around visor so couldn’t get it right! Heat didn’t seem to make it do anything but could be wrong sort of tint? I gave it up as a stupid joke!
Hope this helps!
lindasninja is offline   Reply With Quote