ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 29th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #41
Mo1981
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ebony Ninja 250R

Man, I finally got around to doing this mod on my lunch break today. I'm quite surprised how it opened up the top end for me. Throttle response has smoothed over. I've know about the mod, I've just been worried about water getting in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #42
kkim

Matt,

Have you done any jetting or exhaust mods?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #43
Mo1981
ninjette.org member

I've got the D&D slip-on and two washers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 29th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #44
kkim

Cool... it should run about perfect.

If you ever feel the need, though, you could try putting a third shim in there to see if it helps out even more. But first, spend some time as you have it now so you can get a good feel of what the bike does and doesn't do before you make any more changes.

Old June 1st, 2009, 09:52 AM   #45
Mo1981
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the input, Kelly. I will probably start tinkering with the shims again soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 11th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #46
crystalh
is awesome

Name: Crystal

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE

Did this after I shimmed my carb needles while I still had all my body work off. Can't really notice any difference yet as I haven't taken it out for a ride.
It was very difficult for me to push the snorkel out so I had get a screwdriver to pry it a little before I got it out (made sure to cover parts with towels and such so nothing was scratched, no worries !)
Managed to finally get it out, but I can't say it's worth it quite yet, as I have yet to see what effect it has on my bike.
crystalh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2009, 05:53 AM   #47
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalh View Post
Can't really notice any difference yet as I haven't taken it out for a ride.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #48
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ex250

Is there any danger of water getting at the air intake after taking the snorkel off? Vancouver is *very* rainy, and I'm commuting on this bike, so I don't want to do this mod if it could damage things. Also, how much of a difference in mpg is there after removing the snorkel?
NaughtyusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #49
kkim

if you submerge the bike so that water fills the airbox from the intake hole, you'll have a problem... you would also have the same problem with the snorkel in place at that depth.

roughly a 10% reduction in fuel economy.... depends how much you twist the throttle.

Old June 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #50
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Interestingly enough, after removing the snorkel and putting in the Dynojet needles, I haven't seen a reduction in fuel economy. And believe me, I'm twisting the throttle more

Old June 16th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #51
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazam58 View Post
Interestingly enough, after removing the snorkel and putting in the Dynojet needles, I haven't seen a reduction in fuel economy. And believe me, I'm twisting the throttle more
That may have something to do with the fact that because the bike runs better at mid throttle with the mods that you've done you no longer need to get as deep into the throttle as you used to to get to the same place in the engine's power band.

Old June 16th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #52
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ex250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
if you submerge the bike so that water fills the airbox from the intake hole, you'll have a problem... you would also have the same problem with the snorkel in place at that depth.
Fair enough. I saw it mentioned and just wanted to ensure that it wasn't a worry
NaughtyusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #53
andrewwoo
WHEE!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Black Kawi 250R

hmm.. can someone do a video on jetting and shimming?
andrewwoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #54
Rocketman
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r special edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwoo View Post
hmm.. can someone do a video on jetting and shimming?
Do you really think someone is going to make a 2 hour video on jetting haha ?
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #55
a10forwar
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Great little mod, wish I would have known it was that easy. One quick question, So looking at one of the picures posted it looks like the air filter you pulled is just a prefilter. Is there another one in the airbox or is that just a screen?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg filter.jpg (69.2 KB, 28 views)
a10forwar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #56
kkim

Yes, that is the foam air filter for the bike. There is a metal screen after that towards he carbs, but I think it's there for backfire protection

Old August 24th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #57
a10forwar
ninjette.org member

What do you just wash it with gas or something when its dirty? Like a lawn mower filter.

Old August 24th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #58
kkim

exactly the same. reoil after it's clean and dry.

Old August 25th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #59
a10forwar
ninjette.org member

Just did mine.....Piece of cake!

Old August 25th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #60
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a10forwar View Post
Just did mine.....Piece of cake!
did you already shim your needles?
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #61
maglin
ninjette.org member

Name: xaris

Motorcycle(s): what else?

If I do this mod and I don't like the result, can i put it back without problems? Will i need to apply glue on it?

Old August 30th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #62
Nevrfastenuf
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ER-6n 2009 Ninja 250 sold :(

I just wanted to add my experience with this mod for anyone that is thinking about doing it. I mostly ride between 4600 and 10500 feet above sea level and while the bike felt decent for a 250 down near the bottom of that range it was definitely struggling at the top. I went on a ride with some co-workers a couple weeks after I bought the bike and our trip to Wyoming and back had us up to an altitude of 10000 feet at one point and my poor little Ninja would not accelerate past 50 mph.

When I returned from my ride I found this forum and this DIY and I decided to pull the snorkel to see if it would lean the bike out enough to help any. I did notice a small but positive difference in acceleration and throttle response down in the valley, but i noticed the biggest difference the first time I headed up the canyon. The bike no longer felt like it was going to die when I accelerated out of a corner at higher altitudes and I was able to accelerate past 50 mph without any problems.

I decided this was a good first mod because it is completely reversible. Other's may feel differently but I wouldn't worry about using any adhesive when re-installing the snorkel, it seems to fit pretty tight.

"Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" -Unknown
Nevrfastenuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #63
kkim

yes, this mod opens up the top end. you may now be a bit lean it the midrange/bottom end. I would recommend you try shimming to richen up the low/mid a bit for a bit more power from a stop and a bit more oomph in the low-midrange.

Old August 30th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #64
g21-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevrfastenuf View Post
I decided this was a good first mod because it is completely reversible. Other's may feel differently but I wouldn't worry about using any adhesive when re-installing the snorkel, it seems to fit pretty tight.
Having reinstalled my snorkel, I will vouch that it does not need any adhesive. It is a lot harder to install than remove!

Old August 30th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #65
Nevrfastenuf
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
yes, this mod opens up the top end. you may now be a bit lean it the midrange/bottom end. I would recommend you try shimming to richen up the low/mid a bit for a bit more power from a stop and a bit more oomph in the low-midrange.
I wish I would have taken a little more time to try some shimming and jetting changes to see what I could do with the stock airbox and the snorkel removed so I could provide some more feedback on that setup. I think some shimming after removing the snorkel would have improved things even more.

Last weekend I finally got the time to replace the airbox with some pod filters and try some shimming and jetting. It has made quite a noticeable difference for me over stock jetting and a removed snorkel. I will post my findings in the jetting thread once I get my exhaust installed later this week.

"Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" -Unknown

Old August 30th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #66
kkim

Thanks, Clint. That would be appreciated.

Old September 1st, 2009, 04:43 PM   #67
a10forwar
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
did you already shim your needles?
Yeah I have two washers on both carbs. I think it woke the bike up some. It absolutly sounds better. I rode for about two weeks with just the shims, seemed a little rich, now it is getting more air with snorkle removed, I think? Maybe it is all in my head So now with the air/fuel ratio relatively the same it runs and ride real good. Next mod will be the 15T sprocket.

So at what point can I remove the whole air box? Can I just add more washers? How many washers is too many? Maybe someone with more smarts can come up with a flow chart showing what things are needed with what mod. For example!!!

1 washer good with no mod for smoother/better start up
2 washers good with snorkle removed
3 washers good with high flow aftermarket air filter
4 washers good with airbox removed/filter pod installed

Do you smell what a10forwar is cookin?

Old September 1st, 2009, 05:04 PM   #68
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9465&

Old September 6th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #69
a10forwar
ninjette.org member

You the man!!

Old September 14th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #70
Voodoo Rufus
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi Ninja 250, Blue

After reading this thread, I wanted to share my experience so far.

I went over a 7kft+ pass on one fun ride, and my bike was acting like there was a subtle, random cut in power at WOT in 5th and 6th. It wouldn't maintain 60mph going up relatively gentle uphill climbs. Acted gutless. I had to downshift to 4th sometimes to maintain velocity.

The next day before my other long ride, I removed the snorkel. I went over Mirror Lake Highway at over 11kft, and the bike was much better. I still had to downshift to 5th to get good climbing power, but there wasn't that bogging feeling anymore, and it would cruise WOT in 6th without random cutting. Once I got over the pass and took a break at the bottom, the only thing that needed tweaking was the idle speed, as it climbed to about 2k instead of the normal 1250 I have it set at. The bottom end feels fine and the upper end extended the shift point from about 10k to 11k for me. Throttle response is perfect.

In Evanston, my base altitude is 7,000 feet, so the bike probably runs rich with the snorkel and pretty close to perfect (by feel) with it removed. I am going to check the plugs as part of my 600 mile service and see how the color is post-snorkel mountain blasting.
Voodoo Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #71
kkim

Jason... have you done anything to the carbs along w/ the snorkel removal?

Old September 14th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #72
Nevrfastenuf
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
The next day before my other long ride, I removed the snorkel. I went over Mirror Lake Highway at over 11kft, and the bike was much better. I still had to downshift to 5th to get good climbing power, but there wasn't that bogging feeling anymore, and it would cruise WOT in 6th without random cutting. Once I got over the pass and took a break at the bottom, the only thing that needed tweaking was the idle speed, as it climbed to about 2k instead of the normal 1250 I have it set at. The bottom end feels fine and the upper end extended the shift point from about 10k to 11k for me. Throttle response is perfect.
That's kinda funny, the Mirror Lake Highway is exactly where I was riding when I first noticed my bike had the same problems you were describing...I can't wait to get back up there now that I have everything tuned up a bit better

Just pulling the snorkel helped me at higher altitudes too and I was quite pleased with the bike, but now that I have done a few more things I don't know that I could go back to just removing the snorkel. If you are considering removing the airbox or rejetting/shimming/adjusting the pilot screws on the carb I would highly recommend it, my bike runs a lot better now that I have...If that's not something you want to do then removing the snorkel is a great way to get some high altitude performance, and best of all it's free!

Old September 15th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #73
Voodoo Rufus
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi Ninja 250, Blue

Kelly,

I have not adjusted the carbs at all. I simply removed the snorkel with positive effects. I'm not planning on adjusting anything else until I save up for my AreaP exhaust. That will probably end up being around when the snow melts in the spring.

Clint,

I guessed that 150 was the route you took earlier. Perhaps a Ninjette meet/cruise is in order in Utah some day.
Voodoo Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #74
kkim

must have something to do with the altitude you guys are at. most times if no carbs adjustments are done w/ the snorkel pulled, the midrange gets a bit lean and will surge at highway speeds when using a steady throttle opening. good to know it works well in your case w/o having to fiddle with the carbs.

Old October 11th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #75
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I FINALLY tried this mod this weekend, and while I am still in the "testing phase," it does seem to suddenly suck in the mid range. I'm not sure if there is an improvement high or low yet, as I am still adjusting to the new sound, which may affect the perception of power (like smell does to taste). I do have 2 washers under each needle, so I wonder if I should add a 3rd.... does that sound reasonable?

Since I have tomorrow off, I was planning on drilling the slides too. I know there is no relation between these two mods, but I have noticed that when I try to turn on the power, it spools up like a jet engine.... that is after several commitee meetings and a majority vote. I'm lookin to rectify this too.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #76
Chubbs032
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Pictures not working for anyone else?
Chubbs032 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #77
kkim

I just created an album with the pictures. Unfortunately, I can't edit the original post to include them. Hope this helps.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kkim993/Snorkel#

Old May 29th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #78
g21-30

I broke down and bought a K&N panel air filter and installed it today. While I had the side panel off, I also removed the snorkel (again). It's a fact that the snorkel can be removed without removing the right rear fairing!

Old August 31st, 2010, 06:59 PM   #79
Werehusky
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): Ninjette(sold), 2011 ZX-10r

kkim, do you think if you drilled holes with a small spade bit on the sides of the snorkel that it would have the same effect as completely removing it?
Werehusky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2010, 07:14 PM   #80
stang65pony
ninjette.org member

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r, 2009 buell xb12ss

pulled the snorkel out on the wife's bike the other day and found a sharpie stick in it! wtf! lol
stang65pony is offline   Reply With Quote