ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:37 AM   #1
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250r

Valve adjust and carb sync...

What are the symptoms of a bike that needs a valve adjustment?

What are the symptoms of a bike that needs a carb sync?
jgcable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:56 AM   #2
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

I had extremely tight (<.002") exhaust valves on mine at one point. The symptoms were: needing full choke to start in the summer, and stalling out while stopping for a light unless the throttle was kept open. This was over a year ago, so there was probably some other small symptoms, but these are the main ones I remember.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:50 PM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Well, you technically need the valves serviced before you encounter noticeable symptoms. For the 2008+ model they suggest checking every 7,500 miles and adjusting then if it needs it. They don't always need it at the first 7,500 but, if they do, you risk damaging them by continuing on until the next interval (15,000) so I wouldn't push it much beyond 10 or 12 thousand miles before the first valve check/service. It will almost certainly need adjustment by then but, if not, be smart and do not wait until 20-24,000!

Here's my outline if pushing it to save money:
Wait until 10-12,000 miles for the first valve service. If they need adjustment and clearances were not dangerously tight, then adjust all to the loose end of spec and check again at the interval we have established. If they need adjustment and WERE dangerously tight, adjust to the loose end of spec and check again a couple thousand miles sooner next time. On the chance that they DON'T need adjustment (not likely by the time you break 10,000 miles), you will probably need it much sooner rather than later, so I wouldn't break 8,500 miles without an adjustment.

I got my first check done before 9K and then stupidly skipped the next one (didn't have the money). By the time I got what should have been my third one, one of my exhaust valves was dangerously tight. I only hope it didn't do any damage!

Edit: Oops. My glasses are dirty. "2003" looked like "2008"
Ignore my advice!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:54 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

His pregen is a little more aggressive on recommended intervals, with the first at 600 miles, then at every 6k afterwards if I remember correctly. If it's possible that the first owner skipped that first service and the valves have never been looked at, it may be worth it to confirm (by actually checking the valve clearance now).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:59 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcable View Post

1. odometer tells you when its time

2. fluctuating idle

Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:07 PM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
His pregen is a little more aggressive on recommended intervals, with the first at 600 miles, then at every 6k afterwards if I remember correctly. If it's possible that the first owner skipped that first service and the valves have never been looked at, it may be worth it to confirm (by actually checking the valve clearance now).
Oops. I know the service intervals for both but my glasses were dirty. "2003" looked like "2008."

Old July 3rd, 2014, 01:23 AM   #7
PHMCS
Phoenix Salvage

Name: Mac

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

If you don't know when the valves were last adjusted, its time for a check/adjustment.

symptoms for either issue include erratic idle, poor throttle response, engine speed racing or hunting after a quick rev, or stalling at lower rpm.

I generally make sure the carbs are synced anytime the tank is off, as once you have a gauge - either purchased or homemade, its a sub 5 minute check and gives the ease of mind of knowing everything is just right.

Old July 4th, 2014, 03:05 PM   #8
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I know I am probably going to get an ear full, but I just hit 14k on my 2012 and still have not taken it in for first adjustment. Would do myself but it is a little past my expertise. I depend on my bike to commute to work, so if I take it apart and screw something up, I no worky. Kawi dealer told me to wait til about 15k till bringing it in for first one, says that it is a waste of money to come in any sooner than that unless it was making bad noise.
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 04:53 AM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcable View Post

If the idle hangs, or is hunting, is a symptom. You may have idle mixture or valve adjustment troubles.
Poor idle is a give-away of valves being out of adjustment.
Poor throttle response is a sign you may need a carb sync.
If you don't know when the last valve adjustment was done, you should have one done.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 06:27 AM   #10
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
If the idle hangs, or is hunting, is a symptom. You may have idle mixture or valve adjustment troubles.
If you don't know when the last valve adjustment was done, you should have one done.
My bike does the following...

My idle is very steady with no missing or hesitation of any kind. The problem is the idle will sit at 1500, 1800, 2000 rpms and sometimes it just drops below 1000 rpms and stalls. Sometimes it drops to 1000 rpms and doesn't stall and picks itself up to 1800 rpms on its own. If I blip the throttle right before it stalls it will generally sit at around 1800 rpms very steady.

Throttle response is excellent. Crisp with no issues at all. I checked the carbs yesterday and they were sync'd perfectly.

Old July 13th, 2014, 01:07 AM   #11
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

Yeah my used bike needed full choke and idled terrible until I did the valve adjustments at 7K miles.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2014, 10:32 PM   #12
Country Joe
Grouchy Old Squid

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 1993 Yamaha FJ 1200 ABS, 1990 Yamaha FJ 1200, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT-S

Probably the first time

I just finished adjusting the valves and changed the coolant on my son's 2006 Ninja. We bought it with 18,200 miles, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they have probably never been checked before. All the clearances were below the minimums. I really hope there are no burnt valves on this bike. I hope to get it fired up tomorrow and see how well it runs.

Joe
Country Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #13
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Where can I get the feeler gauge to adjust the valves? Do I need any replacement gaskets when doing it? I need to be totally prepared before I tear it apart.

Old July 14th, 2014, 11:08 AM   #14
salcuta88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Vlad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Joe View Post
I just finished adjusting the valves and changed the coolant on my son's 2006 Ninja. We bought it with 18,200 miles, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they have probably never been checked before. All the clearances were below the minimums. I really hope there are no burnt valves on this bike. I hope to get it fired up tomorrow and see how well it runs.

Joe
How hard is it to adjust the valves?
salcuta88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2014, 11:30 AM   #15
Country Joe
Grouchy Old Squid

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 1993 Yamaha FJ 1200 ABS, 1990 Yamaha FJ 1200, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT-S

If you don't have a service manual, this link will give you all the guidance you will need. http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_..._the_valves%3F As far as where to get feeler gauges, any auto parts store will have them as well as Sears, Lowes, Fastenal or your nearest industrial supply house. Don't buy the bent tip feeler gauges that are sold as tappet gauges or some such thing, most of those do not have the thinner sizes you need to adjust the valves on a 250 Ninja. You shouldn't need any gaskets unless your Ninja has a ton of miles. Just be patient and take your time, there is not a lot of room in the top of the head if your hands are large. I say be patient because the adjuster screw will want to tighten down when you tighten up the locknut. just observe what is happening and make a correction, I found that I had to set the clearance looser than I wanted then it would tighten up as the locknut was tightened. I think I will be buying the Kawasaki valve adjustment tool before I do the valves again. I took the radiator entirely out, just because I wanted to wash it out to remove the mud and bugs.

Joe

Old July 14th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #16
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I am taking my bike in tomorrow morning for its first adjustment at 14k. Going to cost a lot, hopefully I can learn enough to do it my self next time. Will see how she runs when I get her back. I think they might be a little tight due to having to full choke it and hit starter for about 6-10 seconds before she fires up, and thats with it being 95 degrees out.
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #17
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
If you don't have a service manual, this link will give you all the guidance you will need. http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_..._the_valves%3F As far as where to get feeler gauges, any auto parts store will have them as well as Sears, Lowes, Fastenal or your nearest industrial supply house. Don't buy the bent tip feeler gauges that are sold as tappet gauges or some such thing, most of those do not have the thinner sizes you need to adjust the valves on a 250 Ninja. You shouldn't need any gaskets unless your Ninja has a ton of miles. Just be patient and take your time, there is not a lot of room in the top of the head if your hands are large. I say be patient because the adjuster screw will want to tighten down when you tighten up the locknut. just observe what is happening and make a correction, I found that I had to set the clearance looser than I wanted then it would tighten up as the locknut was tightened. I think I will be buying the Kawasaki valve adjustment tool before I do the valves again. I took the radiator entirely out, just because I wanted to wash it out to remove the mud and bugs.

Joe
Well, his is a 2011, which is notably harder.

Old July 14th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #18
Country Joe
Grouchy Old Squid

Ahhh..... I missed that little detail

Old July 14th, 2014, 12:49 PM   #19
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

Quote:
Ahhh..... I missed that little detail
Well he did ask in the pre-gen forum!
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #20
Country Joe
Grouchy Old Squid

Well, yeah, I was thinking that too.....

Old July 14th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #21
Country Joe
Grouchy Old Squid

Got the Ninja fired up tonight, it sounds pretty good with the Muzzy system on it, if not a little loud. Going to sync the carbs in the morning and put the rest of the plastic back on it. I have a feeling that the jetting may need some work, but that remains to be determined.

Joe