ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 4th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #1
jschorr
ninjette.org member

Name: todd

Motorcycle(s): 1995 ninja 250r

failed inspection?

hey guys, i have been having a great summer riding so far, hope you have too.

i just went to get my pa stickers for the year and was treated to a bit of a run around.

it was an open inspections sat, no appointment so i showed up first right when they opened. was told to come back in half an hour...i got coffee and came back, waited, another 20 min go by and im like screw it and get on my bike to go, i guess i should have done this before because someone came running out to get me and brought me right in saying something about being down some people.

10 min go by as i page through the chive and they come back with a fail. here is why.

1) my horn isn't loud enough. (stock)

2) my left grip isnt glued. it doent turn easy buy if you try it does turn.

3) my back tire is on backwards....idk just how i got the bike, po said it helped on the dirt roads he lived on.

and the one that scared me

4) front tire is dry rotted.

the first two i was just confused about.

the back tire well....yes it is on backwards, but since the manufacture said it was safe i thought the state would be ok with it too.

but the dry rot was all i thought about when they were telling me about the other things. i looked and saw that there were some small cracks but idk i will let you guys decide. (pics)

so what do ya think? i got a set of dialbos on the way (wanted new rubber and this was the excuse) but i think these guys took me for a ride.

should i go back or go somewhere else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-08-04 20.23.39.jpg (112.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-08-04 20.24.02.jpg (138.2 KB, 21 views)
jschorr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The surface cracking does look quite noticeable, but hard to tell whether it's cosmetic only. What is the date code on those tires?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #3
jschorr
ninjette.org member

they are old, Made end of 09. Installed in the summer of 2010.

So you would consider that quite noticeable?

I wasn't sure where to draw the line. I asked some other people before I came to the net and options varied from that is deadly to nothing to worry about.

Old August 4th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #4
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Seriously, your horn isn't loud enough??? If your tires are the stock Dunlop K360 you should just toss them and replace them anyway. I don't know about PA but over here in MD you can get your bike re-inspected for free at the same place within 30 days or 1,000 miles. So if you go to another place you'll pay twice as much and you might still fail. I know my shop would fail anyone for a backwards tire and dry rotted front tire but the other stuff seems stupid. Try taking your grip off, cleaning your handlebar with acetone, and spraying some hairspray in your grip before re-installing it. It acts as an adhesive. Let it dry 8 hrs before you ride. The horn, I have no idea, I've never ever heard of that being an issue in inspection.
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #5
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Sometimes I'm glad I that live in Ohio. Sounds like a bunch of bs to me.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

5 years is a judgement call, when it comes to tires. Not so old that they are definite trash, but old enough to start thinking about it. My hunch is that cracking is just surface cracking, and probably not dangerous. But if they are iffy tires in the first place, Katie's advice is the safer way to go.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2014, 09:42 PM   #7
jschorr
ninjette.org member

i am right there with you ryan.

so yeah thanks for the second and third opinion alex and katie.

the tires are kenda and if it is just some surface cracking, what i originally thought, i should have gotten another 2k, 3k out of them. (2 months at the rate i have been going)

i wanted to change the tiers to something that fit my riding, so this is more about if i am getting the shaft than if i can stretch some old cheap tires for another few thousand.

i will gladly lose the inspection fee just to know if i should let these guys work on my bike if something major actually goes wrong, and right now i am thinking that i should cut my losses and move on to the next shop....maybe one that would take the 2 seconds to adjust my horn or spray some glue under my grip wile there checking things over. (3m'ed my grip today)

edit:
forgot to explain about the horn. there is a screw on to that allows adjustment. mine was dirty and causing a weaker voltage to pass though.
still bs since from a legal standpoint you can pass inspection with a kids bike horn

Last futzed with by jschorr; August 4th, 2014 at 11:31 PM. Reason: adding

Old August 5th, 2014, 05:31 AM   #8
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Sounds like they are nit picking in order to try and get you to have them "fix" it. I wouldn't give them the time of day, and would let all my friends that ride know what I think about them. See if they have an online site and if you can provide feedback.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2014, 05:35 AM   #9
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Take it somewhere else. Someone on here told me kenda said you can run one of the tires backwards to improve grip in the rain but it would decrease braking distance a bit. If those are the original stock dunlop tires then you probably want to replace them anyway because they're old and they aren't good tires even new. I ran mine to the ground and they were in worse condition but obviously if you have the funds go ahead and get them changed. Buy the tires online and take the wheels off the bike to save money and bring them in.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #10
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250r

It depends on how risky you are.
Knowing that you are riding around with a loose grip and dry rotted tires doesn't sound very safe to me.
Regarding the rear tire mounted on backwards... get a document from the manufacturer if they say its ok to mount it backwards. My guess is you won't be able to get that document. Especially if that's the stock crap Dunlop tire.

Glue that grip on, put on some new tires and you should be fine. They can't fail you for a horn that isn't loud enough if its a stock horn and its not defective.
jgcable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2014, 07:40 AM   #11
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Looks like they are milking it. I have only just swapped out my original 1991 Dunlop and that was due to treadwear rather than cracking.
Horns can usually be adjusted with the little set screw, sometimes a quarter turn makes the world of difference so do it in small steps (or with the button pressed if you have earplugs in.)
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #12
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
^Yup, I just asked the guy who does inspections at my shop about the horn and he said there's a screw behind it that you can screw in or out to change the volume. Try that!
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #13
jschorr
ninjette.org member

Just an update:

took it to another shop today. Passed no problems. We had a good laugh about my experience at the first shop and the Po's ideas about running the back wheel backwards for better dirt handling. ( both agreed that it was misguided but an A for effort)

Good guy, even offered to price match the tires I bought. Kinda feel bad that I didn't buy them from him. Guess I found my bike mechanic.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #14
Country Joe
Grouchy Old Squid

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 1993 Yamaha FJ 1200 ABS, 1990 Yamaha FJ 1200, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschorr View Post
Just an update:

took it to another shop today. Passed no problems. We had a good laugh about my experience at the first shop and the Po's ideas about running the back wheel backwards for better dirt handling. ( both agreed that it was misguided but an A for effort)

Good guy, even offered to price match the tires I bought. Kinda feel bad that I didn't buy them from him. Guess I found my bike mechanic.
That sounds better! And stick with that mechanic, good local wrenches deserve our support. As far as the "dry rotted" tires, did you ever watch "The World's Fastest Indian"? No, I'm not recommending that either....
Joe
Country Joe is offline   Reply With Quote