ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old August 21st, 2012, 02:40 AM   #1
chef
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 1965 Honda S90 , 2010 Ninja 250,2012 Vespa LX 150(Yes,a vespa!)

LED or LCD television

Seems to be all sort of fantastic claims about the differences & quality of LCD versus LED television but are these differences worth such a higher price tag?
Planning to upgrade from the current 37 inch to 46...$500 difference in price!
Maybe i was having a bad day when the sales guy gave me his pitch about LED having much lower power consumption therefore lower electricity bills
How much TV do i have to watch to save $500!!!
Maybe save the money & buy a Koso gauge as well
chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2012, 06:52 AM   #2
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

LED refers to the backlighting, they're both LCD screens. Older screens use fluorescent backlighting. Difference in power consumption is fairly trivial, specially when compared to plasma and CRT. Since LED lighting is newer the LCD technology tends to be better. Also, many feel that LED lighting has somewhat better color characteristics. Best thing IMHO is to research reviews on Amazon and Newegg to determine what you want. Samsungs tend to have decent reviews.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Plasma! Best quality so long as your room isn't too bright and you don't have any glare, otherwise LED. As far as power consumption, plasma uses 2x LCD and LCD uses 2x LED but even very large plasmas end up costing around $100/yr to operate
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:29 PM   #5
kyrider

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

I have all three and I like my plasma best but it is in a dark room and if it was in a well lit room where glare could cause a problem I would go with LED/LCD. My LCD is thicker than my LED but the picture is close. On my LED 240hz I had to go in and turn off "auto motion" to get rid of the soap opera effect which can be annoying.

Do not buy any thing below 120hz.

Do not go by what you see in the showroom. Look at what the reviews say on av forums, amazon, and any other large retail stores.

There are some good reviews on youtube that show features as well.

What will you be watching comes into play as well.
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrider View Post
Do not buy any thing below 120hz.

Do not go by what you see in the showroom. Look at what the reviews say on av forums, amazon, and any other large retail stores.
+1

I used to sell tvs and people would come in and be like wow that RCA (huge pile of ****) looks so good and its so cheap! RCA's trick is that they turn the brightness way up so it stands out, it doesn't look better, it's just brighter. If you can find a sales guy like me you'll get the best tv for the amount you're looking to spend. If you don't, then I hope you've done your research
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I always facepalm when a so-called "techie" friend of mine says "LED or LCD?". They aren't equivalents. The last time was in front of a store salesperson that the techie friend knew and I embarrassingly had to correct him to answer. Now, if you said "OLED or LCD?", then we'd have something to talk about!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #8
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Koso gauge is an enormous waste of money with similar options at a fraction of the cost.

Anyway, Samsung is making some of the best TVs right now IMO. I loved my LG but I've got a red line down the screen after only 3 years light use so I can't recommend them anymore.

Whatever tv you get, after some run time, go to CNET and apply their pro settings to your tv for the best picture possible.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:38 AM   #9
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Vizio all day everyday, both mine work fine, an look great
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:32 AM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Really enjoying our Samsung LED.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:50 AM   #11
GlassAnkles
ninjette.org member

Name: Mo

Motorcycle(s): 02 zx-12r, 13 zx-10r abs

we bought an LED samsung and returned it the next day, the picture couldn't keep up with a NFL football game. Bought an expensive Panasonic Plasma and love it. gets used heavily by my retired dad.
GlassAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:54 AM   #12
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Plasma! Best quality so long as your room isn't too bright and you don't have any glare, otherwise LED.
QFT
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #13
Mauchner
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

I have a 32 inch Samsung LED smart tv and I love it!
Mauchner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
they actually do make real LED tvs. they are extremely rare and even more extremely expensive. but they are phenomenal. the military uses advanced displays for certain uses that can even emit beyond human visibility ranges in order to be clearly visible to things like different types of cameras and even emit thermal readings to show images on flir. makes for a very belivable camoflague.

Old March 27th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #15
mlj2093
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawi 250 SE

What are your room conditions going to be like? Lots of light, a little light, no light? And size?

If no light to very little light you can't go wrong with Plasma. By far the best picture quality with the deepest and truest colors (they are also cheapest). The downside is of course glare because their screens are glass. If you do go with Plasma choose Panasonic. They make the best and they are the only company that is stilling focused in Plasma tech.

If there is gonna be a moderate amount of light than either LED or LCD will work just fine. The biggest difference between the two is veiwing angle and brightness. You can see a clear picture on any LED TV to a 180 degree angle. So if the room is large and seating is spread you will get the best picture from any spot in the room with an LED. LCD have a good veiwing angle too but once you get to 135-240 degrees the image starts to darken and slightly distort. LEDs are IMHO the onlt TV where it is nearly impossible to have glare. So if there is a lot of light in the room I would go with LED

As for LCD/LED brand Samsung is the best and the only one I would recommend. They are one of the 3 main companies who make the screens for LCD/LED TVs and the only one actually producing high end TVs.

Also don't go for anything rated less then 1080p with 120Hz (240Hz is recommended). That will give you the crispest HD picture.
mlj2093 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #16
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj2093 View Post
If you do go with Plasma choose Panasonic. They make the best and they are the only company that is stilling focused in Plasma tech.
Panasonic bought the industry leading tech from Pioneer back in 2009 when Pioneer exited. Unfortunately, if you're a plasma fan, Panasonic has been planning their exit strategy from Plasma technology for a while now. Everything is going LED and then OLED. Demand for flat screen TVs has been cooling off and plasmas just don't make money.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote