ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #1
codestp202

What If you cause a wreck at the track?

So, I just thought about this and kinda became scared. What is proper Etiquette when you hit someone and cause them to wreck or someone hits you and caused you to wreck at the track? I understand if you had the cash you would pay for the damages but if I hit someone at the track, there is no way I could afford to pay for the damage/ if someone hit me there is no way I could afford the fix my 4+k investment right away. If I wreck the bike on my own accord, I could live with it, because I am willing to wreck if I take my street bike to the track. SO! What happens?

Old October 16th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Ummm, I'm pretty sure everyone goes to the track knowing there's a chance of bringing back some damage. The track organizers will do their best to make sure that the other riders go around your bike/debris, or get off the track if needed.

But remember, every rider is responsible for avoiding what's in front of them. If you go down, it's your responsibility to gtf off of the track to safety. Let the track day organizers worry about the track. If people need to get off the track, they will be red-flagged and sent off the track while your crap is cleaned up.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
easy. if you are going to crash, don't hit someone else.

if you do hit someone else, expect to be the target of hilarious jokes

Old October 16th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

^^^ What Chone said.

Old October 16th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #5
codestp202

How do the track days work at mid-o? Is it by class? Or are there open classes were 250's can ride with 1ks? Also, is everyone lined up like a normal race? Or let go a few after each other to not clog up the track?

Old October 16th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #6
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by codestp202 View Post
How do the track days work at mid-o? Is it by class? Or are there open classes were 250's can ride with 1ks? Also, is everyone lined up like a normal race? Or let go a few after each other to not clog up the track?

track days are typically organised by rider skill into several groups (advanced/racer, intermediate and beginner typically)

racing is typically split by bike ability/class

Old October 16th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
It sucks to go down because of the actions of another but don't plan to be swapping insurance info at the track for any damage to the bike or rider(s) involved. There are protocols for handling the "on track events" but determining fault is never part of that protocol. There could be some fists thrown around in the paddock though. hahahaha It's all AT YOUR OWN RISK and YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY. It's part of the registration paperwork you sign before you ride.

I have been stuffed, rubbed, bumped, run off the track in the corners and straights lol. It's all part of riding track. Even this (happened my last track day)!!!!!!! They DID shake hands after all was said and done.

Link to original page on YouTube.

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #8
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
You have 3 groups arranged by skill level: novice, intermediate, and advanced.

Novice has lots of control riders, you go by small groups of 4-6 riders (numbered 1-8, with 1 being brand spanking new, and 8 being almost ready for intermediate. I was in novice group 2 last time. By the end of the day, I wish I had been in like 4-5) and are herded around by the control riders for the morning. In the afternoon, you're set free, with the control riders riding among you, helping if you ask for it. Passing is only allowed on the back straight during the afternoon.

Advanced riders are all hard core guys with race plastics, tire warmers, custom leathers, and slicks. They're freaking fast, and a hoot to watch. The control riders just go out there and have some fun. They're all great people to ask for some advice.

Intermediate is where all hell breaks loose. You have every skill level from barely-out-of-novice, to really-should-be-in-advanced. Passing is allowed anywhere, but they have to be like 2 arm-lengths apart. (I think). Again, the control riders just go out and have some fun.

If you go, you'll be in novice, and except for the fact that you're faster than me on straights, you should do a group with me so we can video tape each other

Whatever you do, don't be the guy who hero passes on the back straight, and then clogs up the works on the turns. I got stuck behind those guys all afternoon. Remember that it's not a race, it's a chance to improve your riding and attempt to contain your inner riding boner.

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #9
codestp202

@csmith12 Did you hit that guy? @choneofakind Lol I feel you on clogging up on the turns, I don't think I'll do that because that is the sole reason I'm hitting the track, for the cornering. I've already gotten my straight line fun, but it's way too hard to fine CLEAN, debris free, turns around here. I had some sweet twisty video, but my gopro corrupted the file... I went on an hour ride just repeatedly hitting some turns around my area and really focused on proper breaking, and cornering.
Also, do these control riders tell you to slow down? And how soon can you be bumped up into the next number?

P.S. My race leathers should be here on Thursday, and I think I'm going to order some Alpinestar sp-1's also

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #10
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
intermediate is funny because you get to poach literbikes that think they are badass then you get back to pits and they're all sad because a 250 passed them at like +20

also, anyone complaining about getting clogged up needs to learn how to pass

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Split into 3 open groups/classes

A - Advanced riders
I - Intermediate riders
N - Novice riders (Novice is further broken up into smaller groups to be put with a rider coach so no one coach is overloaded with riders)

All types of bikes are mixed into the groups from liter bikes to 200cc tards, even HD's, tourers and cafe bikes. All groups ride 7 20 minute track sessions per day. Everyone lines up in "Hot Pit" and riders are released on the track in pairs to spread everyone out on the track.

At Mid-O the N group is a school. Strict passing rules and rider coach led skill structure for the majority of the sessions, with the last 2 more "on your own". The N group meets in a garage before each session where you review the skills of the next session and to answer any 1 on 1 questions.

The A group is normally solid. It takes a rider coach's OK to get into this group. If you register for this group and a rider coach feels you don't belong, you will be bumped down.

The I group is called the "meat grinder". Because you have the most variety of skill levels. From "freshly bumped from novice" to a racer wanting to "take it easy" for the day. There are slow riders and super fast riders with more relaxed passing rules. On any given track day, this is where the most red flags will occur.

Mid-O is a techy track, it takes more than a session or two to really get the lines and the corners are back to back in the last 8 or so turns. So if you get offline, your normally offline for the next corner too. To correct your line you have to swoop across the track in a dangerous way or just run off, sometimes I group riders will do the right thing and slow down to correct their line problem but it's rare. Somehow they make it work...

No rider should ever have to worry about if they are holding another rider back. Like Chone on his 250, it's the job of the riders behind him to get by safely or stay behind waiting for a clean pass on the straight. I have passed 250 riders in the A group and as long as your lines are clean, consistent and "predictable" it shouldn't matter what your riding in any of the groups.

And no I didn't hit the guy. I was 3 bikes behind the guy recording who did run over the guy.

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #12
codestp202

So, you are required to do the entire day of the novice training?

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

No, you are never forced to ride. Your free to sit out a session(s) or get off the track at any time.

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Oh, you can be deemed "to fast" for the N group and bumped to I. The coaches/track officials will put you where they believe it is the safest group for you to ride in.

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #15
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
there is no training. expert training costs like $600 for a weekend. however there are plenty of non-experts willing to tell you how to be rossi.

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #16
codestp202

Lastly, are there any restrictions on the novice class besides passing?

Yeah Chris your last thing explained what I wanted to know. Are there a lot of people that try to jump into I too soon and eat ****? God why don't I own a truck, I'd be at Mid-o the next chance I got... Between not riding at all and having all my gear coming, I have the biggest track boner right now.

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #17
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah I spent the whole day in novice. Trust me when I say that no matter how good you think you are, you'll take one look at the intermediate group and go, damn, they're fast. The classroom time with your control rider is helpful too, don't do what I did and forget to go to the first 2

@alex.s, I was on people's tails and ready to pass through turns. If I was allowed to, I would have. The novice group is only allowed to pass on the back straight, conveniently where every other bike on the track could pass me with ease. I was the only 250 in the novice group, so that kinda sucked.

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #18
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
oh what. no passing?! what a gyp. the rule over here is only passing on the outside for C group. though i'm totally badass and ride A group because i'm that cool. so it doesn't really matter to me i guess

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #19
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah, that rule would have been nice. Here, it's novice's pass on the back straight only, and with lots of space.

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #20
codestp202

Someone adopt me and pay for my racing?

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #21
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
there is no training. expert training costs like $600 for a weekend. however there are plenty of non-experts willing to tell you how to be rossi.
Experts.... hmmm depends on how you look at it. True, it's not CSS or the likes. But for no extra charge; there are 4 rider coaches that are current AMA racers. 3 more that are retired AMA racers. And they rotate through the Novice group and no matter what group a coach is assigned your free to ask them to have some 1 on 1 time and even some on track time. In other words, you can ask an A coach to ride with you in Novice for a session. Not sure how much more you could want for $0.

When I go, I always request a control rider by the name of JP. Somehow he gets my questions and answers them in a way that clicks with how I think and will follow/tow me no matter what group or what bike I am riding.

@codestp202, To give you an idea of things....
Track is 2.4 miles long with 15 turns, 2 of them uphill and blind, 2 of them really long, 1 90 degree, 1 hump that you can get two wheeled air on and a back straight long enough to see the rev limiter in 6th gear on most 600cc bikes and below. When you get everything down, you will shift gears quite a bit.

AMA - racer lap times are around 1:30, 1:29 (avg speed of 95+)
A groups lap times start around 1:45 (avg speed of 85+)
I groups lap times start around 1:55-1:50, sometimes the 2 minute rider will be there (avg speed of 70+)

Chone is right about the pace difference between N and I. At mid-o, it's a big jump. I dragged my elbow in I.

What kind of car you have? Plenty of riders get a hitch on their car and rent a small uhaul trailer ($14 a day) to get to the track. Let me know when you come, you can just bring your bike and gear and leech of my pit supplies or we will get a garage.

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #22
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Lastly, are there any restrictions on the novice class besides passing?

I have the biggest boner right now.
No Crashing

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #23
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
at CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Let me know when you come, you can just bring your bike and gear and leach of my pit supplies or we will get a garage.
I'm in for a garage. I'll split one with you next time I go. Those things stay so cool, and we won't have to worry about backing in the right direction for our stands. Just pull through.

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #24
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
as dustin from trackdaz always says: "crashing, wheelies, stoppies... leave that **** where it belongs... ON THE STREET!"

Old October 16th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #25
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
as dustin from trackdaz always says: "crashing, wheelies, stoppies... leave that **** where it belongs... ON THE STREET!"
is he good friends with Kevin? They sound like they share that mentality

Old October 16th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #26
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
That will get you kicked out of Mid-O no questions asked.

Old October 16th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #27
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
kevin has actually been a good boy lately.

Old October 16th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #28
codestp202

Thanks for all the info guys It's helping a lot towards my goal of getting to the track. And I drive an 02 AUTOMATIC civic and my tranny already slips considerably (this generation of civics have this problem). I don't think I would trust my car to reliably tow my 450 lb bike, along with the trailer and me. Luckily me and @chonofakind are going to try to ride together, I have a trailer that can fit two bikes easily on it, so we'll see if that works next season

Doing a wheelie will get you kicked out?

Old October 16th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #29
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Banging a twelve-oclock wheelie down the front straight while waving to the crowd will get most riders bounced. Having the front end come up during acceleration over a rise or other change in elevation on the track is considered normal and not grounds for sanctions.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #30
codestp202

What if I just wheelie the whole track?

Old October 16th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #31
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Banging a twelve-oclock wheelie down the front straight while waving to the crowd will get most riders bounced. Having the front end come up during acceleration over a rise or other change in elevation on the track is considered normal and not grounds for sanctions.
Yea, they play it by sight. If it looks like you did one for sh*ts and giggles, you get da boot.

On a side note, If you can do a "controlled" power wheelie over 10a and 10b it's cool. If you can jump 10a its REALLY cool.

Old October 16th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #32
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Check out this fellow 250 racer's attitude and how it would relate to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
In our 1st year racing at Chuckwalla, he made an aggressive inside pass on me resulting in contact which caused me to lose control of my motorcycle and crash (which in my eyes to this day was still legit). After refusing medical attention, the ambulance dropped me off in my pit and there Steve was...very apologetic and sincere in making things right by helping me fix my race bike which I never asked or felt he was obligated. He even had tears in his eyes. From that moment on, I knew this kid was a cool kat. And still is.

Steve Dawson, proud of you bro! :2thumbsup

Old October 16th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #33
codestp202

I see where he's coming from. It's a mutual risk to everyone I guess!

Old October 16th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #34
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Check out this fellow 250 racer's attitude and how it would relate to this thread.
Werd!

You won't find a lot of riders/racers offer that because their belief is no one is liable for whatever happens at the track. Which to an extent is true but when you get guys who assume responsibility even when it's not their fault says a lot about the rider. And in return I would hope we all would do the same.

Old October 16th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #35
codestp202

I like motorcycles.

Old October 16th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #36
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old October 16th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #37
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Thanks for all the info guys It's helping a lot towards my goal of getting to the track. And I drive an 02 AUTOMATIC civic and my tranny already slips considerably (this generation of civics have this problem). I don't think I would trust my car to reliably tow my 450 lb bike, along with the trailer and me. Luckily me and @chonofakind are going to try to ride together, I have a trailer that can fit two bikes easily on it, so we'll see if that works next season

Doing a wheelie will get you kicked out?
Tell you guys what.... You make it worth my while (a place to crash for the night) and I will come pick you guys up on my big trailer. It can hold 6 bikes + gear.

Old October 16th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #38
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Hey, I'm all set if Cody is going with you. I got a pickup

If we somehow manage to go on a day that I can stay overnight and not miss work the next day, I'm down for camping!

Old October 16th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #39
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
can you guys pick me up too?

Old October 16th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #40
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Let's do that, I can pick you guys up and then we can drive to track to camp. Someone's gunna owe me a beer though..... js.

I will create a new thread when the 2013 schedule goes up. We can work out a date. If any others want a haul maybe we can do a meet up and I pick everyone up but if we have more than 5 someone will have to follow in a cage.

If we get there the night before with enough time, we can do all the prep to eveyone's bikes right there at the track. We will make it a party and I will bring my grill. I smell a kick arse plan a cookin'.