ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 3rd, 2013, 02:41 PM   #1
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Red/SOLD), 2008 Ninja 250R (Black/SOLD), 2005 ZX6R (Black)

Ownership Question

So i received a letter from the DMV stating my bike (Previous one) didnt have insurance on it. Heres the catch, i sold it off along with the title to it a couple months back. How can i go about resolving this issue? its clear that whoever i sold it to didnt turn in the title to the DMV as its still under my name. Is there a way for me to remove my name off that bikes registration?

PS. the letter is basically saying the DMV is going to suspend my vehicle registration and i have to pay a 14 dollar fee for a vehicle that i dont even have anymore. I also dont have new owners info i just have his phone number with txt proving of day and location of sale

Last futzed with by RandomPhantom; November 3rd, 2013 at 08:43 PM.
RandomPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2013, 04:29 PM   #2
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

I always fill out the paper work for dmv. Just in case they don't register things, I don't want my name on it anymore.

Was a long time ago, but I thought Cali had these type forms too
Attached Files
File Type: pdf selling form.pdf (38.6 KB, 8 views)
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 06:42 PM   #3
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Red/SOLD), 2008 Ninja 250R (Black/SOLD), 2005 ZX6R (Black)

For those in california that would b attached with the title or "pink slip", which me being a dummy gave it all to the buyer. Any other ways to go about getting my name off that bike? I have proof via text of sell confirmation along with the date and time plus location

Old November 3rd, 2013, 07:59 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Well, I don't know much about Cali, but I would have to ask why the DMV cares if I have insurance on it in the first place unless I am trying to renew the tags/plate. Instead of assuming I am guilty of something, assume it's NOT on the road. @#%!#$!@#$!@#% when is "NOT acceptable" gunna be the norm? /sigh...
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:17 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

You need to fill out a release of liability form whenever you sell a vehicle in California. You can do it online:

http://dmv.ca.gov/online/nrl/welcome.htm

That's the proof that you've sold the bike, so if the next owner flakes and doesn't register it or the paperwork gets held up for whatever reason, you have the proof you need to show when it was sold. Best practice is to submit it electronically, then print out a copy (or keep a pdf) in case something weird pops up later, like what is happening to you now.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:17 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to general

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:37 PM   #7
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

thank you guys very much for the help. i'll hop on top of the electronic submission right now and see what happens from there

Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:38 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

The DMV site is reasonably comprehensive on what you need to do when either buying or selling:

http://dmv.ca.gov/faq/faqbuysell.htm

Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:48 PM   #9
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

I am stupid because during the time of sale i filled out and signed my part on the title. But instead of keeping the top half i just gave the buyer the entire thing thinking the buyer will turn it into the dmv and save me the trouble. First time ever selling a vehicle and the previous owner that i bought it off of gave me the entire title and i turned it all in.

Live and learn, i will definitely not be doing this again.

Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:48 PM   #10
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
You need to fill out a release of liability form whenever you sell a vehicle in California. You can do it online:

http://dmv.ca.gov/online/nrl/welcome.htm

That's the proof that you've sold the bike, so if the next owner flakes and doesn't register it or the paperwork gets held up for whatever reason, you have the proof you need to show when it was sold. Best practice is to submit it electronically, then print out a copy (or keep a pdf) in case something weird pops up later, like what is happening to you now.
/thread

Not having this greatly complicates a sale done in good faith.
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2013, 09:07 PM   #11
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

okay so i tried the online form. I dont have the info for the new owner. I dont have odo reading. But i have vin and license plate number of vehicle. What can i do now?

Old November 3rd, 2013, 09:11 PM   #12
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Well, I don't know much about Cali, but I would have to ask why the DMV cares if I have insurance on it in the first place unless I am trying to renew the tags/plate. Instead of assuming I am guilty of something, assume it's NOT on the road. @#%!#$!@#$!@#% when is "NOT acceptable" gunna be the norm? /sigh...
Minor thread jack,

NV is this way too, DMV doesn't care until the vehicle is registered. Having it registered means it is mandatory to have insurance. If a new registration doesn't have record of a corresponding insurance or the insurance company notifies the DMV that the policy has been canceled and the registration remains active, a handy dandy little post card is sent to the name on the registration with a rather grumpy request for $250.

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread....
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2013, 09:34 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPhantom View Post
okay so i tried the online form. I dont have the info for the new owner. I dont have odo reading. But i have vin and license plate number of vehicle. What can i do now?
You need to get the information for the new owner, and get the mileage when you sold it. You can probably guesstimate the mileage if push comes to shove, but the new owner info is required. Of course the form will accept it if you plug in Mickey Mouse, 1 Disney Lane; but there is the caveat that once you hit send there is a threat of forging a government document.

Old November 3rd, 2013, 10:19 PM   #14
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
I may be mistaken, but I believe you have to fill out that release of liability paper within 5 days too, after sell.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2013, 11:07 PM   #15
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
I may be mistaken, but I believe you have to fill out that release of liability paper within 5 days too, after sell.
u r correct within the week i believe. I filled everything out the day of the sale. But my mistake was not taking my portion of the title and turning my part in. Instead i let the buyer have the entire title including my portion. He never turned it in and it has been at least 4 months

Old November 4th, 2013, 02:04 AM   #16
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

UGHHH, as expected the buyer didnt respond to my txt. imma need to go to the DMV myself and get this sorted out. Anyone know if they can just simply take that vehicle that is registered under my name and just, u know, remove it?

Old November 4th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Unlikely. You need to get the buyers info.

Old November 4th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #18
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

damit, well i went to the dmv. the lady there that helped me from the front desk notified me that i need to fill out liability form. If i didnt now the buyer's info just put unknown. Hoping this all works

Old November 4th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Good luck; keep us posted.

Old November 4th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #20
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Good luck; keep us posted.
will do alex thank you very much for everyone that posted here for their help on this subject. Much love yall