Old February 19th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #1
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
tires scared to lean, not you...

hey all

I noticed I was getting increasingly reluctant to turn my ninja when riding... I just wanted to go straight.. and even going straight I avoided bumps in the road like the plague. my bike just felt terrible, I felt like I was going to fall if I turned at all, and I even went back to the MSF practice range and just felt so stiff and tense in my upper body and I felt like my front tire especially wasn't even touching the ground. the whole front end of the bike and the whole front end of me was a mess and I was going ridiculously slow through turns (like 5mph) because I was just scared I was going to lay the bike over.

around turns faster than 10mph, the front end felt wobbly and unsteady and 'mushy'. if I hit a bump in the road the front tire would kind of shake which caused the handlebars to shake and the bike to feel unsteady as f***. I have been getting scared to ride for no apparent reason. I thought I was becoming a worse rider and making myself more tense and scared and there was a cycle... I lowsided 4 months ago and I thought I was freaking myself out and my bike was fine and it was all my fault.

AND THEN I REPLACED THE TIRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I replaced my dunlop k360s from 2007 (I know, unacceptable, don't hit me!) with brand new pirelli sport demons. and I felt an INSTANT difference in the bike and the way I'm riding. the bike turns easily and smoothly, the handlebars feel steady, the bike feels happy and I am much more relaxed. even the suspension feels much better and my bike doesn't squat so much when I'm coming to a stop with the front brake. I was making a left turn today and I actually felt I was going TOO slow around the turn. and when I did lean, I didn't feel like I was riding on ice.

I just feel so relieved that my problems weren't ALL my own fault. I still need to practice and get some confidence back, but overall I feel so much better with the new tires. my bike felt very 'stuck' before (like if I leaned it at ALL from exactly vertical it would just fall right over) but now it feels like it is supposed to.

so I guess I'm saying to anyone who is getting scared riding and feels like their bike isn't right, listen to your bike!! tires, suspension, throttle, clutch, whatever else can make for a jerky, slippery, scary ride. I have to say this is the best $280 I've spent on my bike. and now I am thrilled that I can go ride without fighting with myself over why I felt scared. for once, it wasn't all just in my head!

such a long post but I wanted to share my excitement as none of my non-bike friends understand why I am so over the moon about new tires

Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
My gut is talking to me... Aside of being old, where they squared off?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
hey all

I am so over the moon about new tires

Next time you feel nervous about something, ask others before you freak out over the little things. Just don't ask me, you might like the answer.

Old February 19th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #4
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
My gut is talking to me... Aside of being old, where they squared off?
they were all kinds of messed up. the idiot who owned the bike before me probably street raced it. wouldnt even be surprised if they werent balanced properly when they were put on. I would like a chance to ride on new dunlop k360s to see if they're as crappy as everyone says they are, but I decided to go with the best tires I could afford anyway.

Old February 19th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Great thread. Any time you start to get those uneasy feelings about bike handling, checking the tires is a great first step. Monitor the pressure over time, because even if it's perfect right now, it won't be a month from now.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2014, 05:52 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
...........I have to say this is the best $280 I've spent on my bike............
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #7
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Glad you solved part of the problem! Now to work on the rest of it! Have you read Total Control by Lee Parks, Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code, or Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough?
Our bikes love to turn, and physics laws make it possible to lean WAY over at pretty high speeds and come out ok. Whatever the circumstance (bad tires, slick spot on the road, hard braking, fear of being too fast, hell, even if you're in the middle of a crash), the BEST thing you can ever do for you and the bike is stay loose. Staying loose is good practice whether things are at their best or at their worst. If you stay loose in corners (and stay on the throttle), you'll almost definitely pull through. If you manage keep your body relaxed, in situations such as hard braking, turning (slow or fast), or even crashing, you're going to end up better off than if you tense up. There is never a time when tensing up helps you on (or coming off) the bike. Practice staying loose. Good tires will help give you the confidence and the traction you need to practice.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #8
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Wait, you're back on the road again? I must have missed that in your lowside thread. So I take it that you now realize that a large part of your lowside was likely your tires being old and thus had total crap grip? I had the same situation with my pregen it had the original stock tires on it when I got it in 2012 and it's an '01! Better tires and everything just makes sense and feels right. Tires are simultaneously the most important and underrated motorcycle part.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:37 PM   #9
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I like your post ally! I've seen the videos of twist of the wrist. I should check out the rest...

yeah sirref, I've been doing various things to my bike all winter getting it really ready to ride again. I replaced the fairings with a 1988 ninja 250, painted the headers, replaced the exhaust (2 bros!), windshield, turn signals, bar ends, air filter, and now tires so I am ready to roll

I feel less like an idiot for lowsiding, it was gonna happen on those **** tires....

Old February 19th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #10
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
How much was the 2bros? I need some form of exhaust for my pregen once I have it ready before I get it down to the track and the stock exhaust just isn't going to work for me.

Old February 19th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #11
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I paid $120 for both slip-ons. Craigslist!

Old February 19th, 2014, 08:13 PM   #12
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Woah, that's a crazy good deal. Guess someone just didn't need them for anything.

Old February 19th, 2014, 08:18 PM   #13
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
http://www.revzilla.com/product/two-...-250-1988-2007

this is what I have. I got a good deal because the guy bought his bike with them on, and realized after 1 day that he hated the sound.

Old February 19th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #14
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
hahahaha, I've heard those 2bros pipes on 600s. I don't know how loud they are on a 250 but on a 600 they're some of the most obnoxiously loud pipes you can find.

Old February 19th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #15
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Name: Ralf

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
Woah, that's a crazy good deal. Guess someone just didn't need them for anything.
My friend's got a 2brothers on his 250. The sound is too deep. It gets annoying riding with him. I have an FMF exhuast. The sound is super crisp. mmm. Can't wait till the weather gets nice and warm.

Anyway, I know what you mean about the tires OP. My stock tires were squared off when I got me some Pirellis. Instant confidence boost. I'm sure part of it was mental but styllllllllllllllll.
Ninja Star is offline   Reply With Quote