ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 17th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #1
adorky
ninjette.org member

Name: Andre

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 1991 EX250

Unshakable fear

Shoot, so if some of you have read I used to have a zx10r, and I also totaled that same bike, as well as breaking my wrist in the process. Every since then I have had a slight distrust in my tires as well as myself. I don't know what that could be. I felt before this incident I could have more trust in my bike, tires, and environment. I somehow feel a slight fear when cornering has anybody else felt like this and what have you all done to quell that fear that I have from time to time when cornering and turning? Shoot thanks.
adorky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #2
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

What's more important to you....riding fast or riding ? Like the ol' song goes, If you cant be with the one you love, love the one youre with
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #3
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
After my wreck, I was really gun shy on cornering.

The only thing that helped, honestly, was getting back out there and cornering. On the street I managed to work through it on my own. But it took going back to the track and repeating that corner over and over to work through it fully.

Time and working through it. That's what got me comfortable again.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #4
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Anytime I corner at above necessary speed there is a fear--level dependent upon my speed. This is just natural survival instinct! Your brain has realized that you are not indestructable and is reminding you of this fact. I just overcome the fear (this is pushing your limits) and ride on. You stated you crashed which has caused this feeling, time will increase you trust in your ability and equipment back to your old limit and possible beyond. There is nothing unusual about hesitation after an accident. Just ride where you are comfortable till that level rises
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #5
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
Anytime I corner at above necessary speed there is a fear--level dependent upon my speed. This is just natural survival instinct! Your brain has realized that you are not indestructable and is reminding you of this fact. I just overcome the fear (this is pushing your limits) and ride on. You stated you crashed which has caused this feeling, time will increase you trust in your ability and equipment back to your old limit and possible beyond. There is nothing unusual about hesitation after an accident. Just ride where you are comfortable till that level rises
the only way to overcome a fear is to face it head on, preferably in a controlled environment. Have you tried taking any track schooling?

Old September 17th, 2014, 10:47 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
ride some dirt

Old September 18th, 2014, 03:04 AM   #7
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
After my wreck, I was really gun shy on cornering.

The only thing that helped, honestly, was getting back out there and cornering. On the street I managed to work through it on my own. But it took going back to the track and repeating that corner over and over to work through it fully.

Time and working through it. That's what got me comfortable again.
Mine is very similar. It took re-reading twist of the wrist II, going back to the track (following someone I trust) and time on the street.
I was stiffening up and putting pressure on the bars a lot after mine.
Just keep riding and read twist of the wrist II.
Good luck.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2014, 06:07 AM   #8
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Whenever I start riding my bike I sway left to right, this is to help warm the tires, I'll do this along with moving slow through corners for about the first 5-10 minutes, then I know my tires are warmed up and I won't have to worry about falling in a corner because of tires being too cold.

Also, it may help to invest some cash into a better tire, I mean they're rather cheap for our ninjettes and stock kinda suck. So go ahead and spend like $300 and you'll get a very grippy set of tires.

I would consider buying some good gear, knowing your gear will protect you helps you as well, also I believe the track places offer lessons, they're a little steep i've seen them go for as high as $500 for 1 day! But it could vary greatly where you live.

Good luck man, sorry about your fall. Give it time, time heals all wounds.

Old September 18th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #9
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
Whenever I start riding my bike I sway left to right, this is to help warm the tires, I'll do this along with moving slow through corners for about the first 5-10 minutes, then I know my tires are warmed up and I won't have to worry about falling in a corner because of tires being too cold.
I would just like to point out this is false, for bikes at least. Car tires will heat up with fast swerving due to sidewall flex, but bike tires wont. You cant get enough lean angle and speed to do this safely. Best way is hard acceleration and braking in a straight line. This will bring your tire to temp faster.

But for the OP, like Hero said, time heals all wounds. After my lowside i didnt have the confidence i had prior. But the more miles you put on the more you become comfortable with the bike in general again. Track did the most for my skillset and confidence in the bike, but i never plan on leaning that far on the street.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2014, 07:47 AM   #10
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Old September 18th, 2014, 09:43 AM   #11
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Look at your tires and check your tire pressure before each ride...

now, in your mind, you know they are nice and black, fresh, fully grippy, up to pressure... they will hold, they will work...

Know it, now believe it...

Ride a good road, you know the tarmac is good and grabby... make a pass and be sure there is no gravel or sand... it's clean, leaf free, clear...

now make a run on it with a bit more aggressive lean...

you know the road is good, you know the tires are good...

now believe.
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2014, 09:59 AM   #12
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
I had a rear tire blow-out at 70 MPH in rush hour traffic. It took a long time for me to trust my tires after that. But with time it came back.

Just take it easy at whatever speed you trust.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #13
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

After my accident on the CB750 (not my fault) I went to collect the bike from repairs and I sort of hesitated but there was this whole workshop of guys watching me.
I couldn't lose face so I gritted my teeth snicked first and rode off
Within a mile it was as natural as using a knife and fork and I carried on riding like before.
Now the proviso was "someone else's fault." it was in the past
If I had made a bad error of judgement then the cause of the accident would be in my head, I would be riding with someone known to have screwed up and that would make me nervous of myself.
Rain makes me nervous though, always has, I think it was growing up with 1960's Japanese tyres, you can never quite overlearn that, those twitches burn deep.
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2014, 02:17 PM   #14
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
ride some dirt
this really can help make you more comfortable with low grip situations

in the case of regular riding on good tires and good pavement, its not really a low grip situation and its all mental

take your time, take it easy, ramp up incrementally
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2014, 06:50 PM   #15
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
I would just like to point out this is false, for bikes at least. Car tires will heat up with fast swerving due to sidewall flex, but bike tires wont. You cant get enough lean angle and speed to do this safely. Best way is hard acceleration and braking in a straight line. This will bring your tire to temp faster.
Huh, you learn something new every day. I never researched it before, I just saw some comments on youtube someone wrote and they suggested that and I figured (can't hurt) lol. Good to know though. Thank you

Old September 18th, 2014, 07:00 PM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
It's all good Danny!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #17
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

It can be fun to sway back and forth in lane, but doesn't actually help anything bike wise.
Does help build trust in tires though...and is good way to create space behind you I notice.....
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #18
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
to the OP... I feel this way too. a lot better now that I have a bike I trust. I've ridden only about 3,000 miles since I lowsided my ninja 250 and I don't have a lot of confidence especially in slow sharp turns (where I crashed) but I am just going slow enough to feel comfortable. I don't like that 'oh **** moment'

I think it would be a good idea to practice whatever is making you nervous in a parking lot with a friend nearby. I know I feel safer when another rider is around, if for no other reason than I know if I wreck the bike I will have help immediately.

good luck
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2014, 06:18 AM   #19
Bigballsofpaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
Huh, you learn something new every day. I never researched it before, I just saw some comments on youtube someone wrote and they suggested that and I figured (can't hurt) lol. Good to know though. Thank you
No worries, i thought the same thing when i was new. Just like people still think that you need to take it easy on new tires because of the mold release agent they or something. Thats all old school stuff. Pirelli has come out and said they havent used that in their molds in a long time.

Its still a good practice, people think new tires so lets go hog wild, they have to blame something if they go down. Tires just need a few heat cycles in them when new, its not that they have slippery goo on them haha. Thats why racers have brand new tires on the warmers, im sure you know they dont take it easy once the rubber hits the pavement.

Old September 19th, 2014, 06:24 AM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Thats why racers have brand new tires on the warmers, im sure you know they dont take it easy once the rubber hits the pavement.
"Where do I leave the stickers that peel off new tires? Normally in turn 3." - csmith

Old September 19th, 2014, 06:36 AM   #21
Bigballsofpaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
"Where do I leave the stickers that peel off new tires? Normally in turn 3." - csmith
Psh, i usually do a rolling burnout the second i leave the pit and thats when they come off, why wait until turn 3.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 19th, 2014, 03:05 PM   #22
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
No worries, i thought the same thing when i was new. Just like people still think that you need to take it easy on new tires because of the mold release agent they or something. Thats all old school stuff. Pirelli has come out and said they havent used that in their molds in a long time.

Its still a good practice, people think new tires so lets go hog wild, they have to blame something if they go down. Tires just need a few heat cycles in them when new, its not that they have slippery goo on them haha. Thats why racers have brand new tires on the warmers, im sure you know they dont take it easy once the rubber hits the pavement.
I'm still going to sway back and forth just for fun lol

Old September 19th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #23
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Psh, i usually do a rolling burnout the second i leave the pit and thats when they come off, why wait until turn 3.

Old September 19th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #24
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
the funny part is, the burnout isn't ever intentional. just forgot the rubbers covered in stickers and hit the gas...

Old September 21st, 2014, 03:23 PM   #25
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Crashing sucks.
Realizing your fear is in your head and CAN be overcome with experience is the best way to beat it.
Read others' experiences, read books from professionals (Twist of the Wrist 2 and Total Control are good choices), and start slowly. Confidence can be rebuilt, but it won't happen overnight. GOod luck!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2014, 05:59 AM   #26
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I guess I've been down enough off road, that when my bike slid out last year on the street, I did what I always do, pick it up and keep going!

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:01 AM   #27
GearMonkey
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Practice. Practice. Practice. After taking the MSF I still felt a bit unsure on the 250 (it's my first bike). It's a small bike, but bigger and heavier than the CR250 I used for the MSF. After practicing slow and medium speed handling around an abandoned mall parking lot, I felt better about my handling.

I felt pretty comfortable, but not yet on twisty mountain roads. On my first group mountain ride, with experienced riders, I went down on literally the 2nd corner. What really helped me was the rider who lead my through corners, warning me to slow down, or speed up and push it. He taught me and gave me pointers during breaks. If you don't have a friend or riding buddy like this, FIND ONE! He helped me immensely.

Still not pushing it hard, or having full trust in the tires, I took it to the track and that really opened my eyes to how far you can take a stock 250 with stock tires. That really boosted my confidence in myself, my bike, and the tires.

To me, riding a motorcycle is like flying an airplane. A brand new student won't have confidence or the ability to just hop in and go. It takes learning, instruction, and experience before you have a mastery of the machine. Confidence comes with experience, a healthy lack of confidence is your mind telling you not to push that limit. However, sometimes you have to push a limit to break through your fear. I think the best place to do that is a controlled, as safe as possible environment, with good instruction. Reading stories and learning about other peoples mistakes always helps, and Twist of the Wrist is a great, educational read.

Good luck and remember to always have fun with it!
GearMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2014, 12:24 PM   #28
cookiebug79
n00b with the b00bs

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250, 2008 EX250, 2001 ZR-7S, 2010 ZX-6R

Get a 2-up ride at a racetrack from a Pro like Jason Pridemore. It really helps you understand how far away you are from pushing the limits of the motorcycle and the tires.
cookiebug79 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 03:56 PM   #29
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

^^^ What he said
The other thing that will amaze you will be how incredibly late he seems to leave braking
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote