Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 20th, 2014, 01:49 PM   #1
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Dynamometer / Tuning / Jetting / Performance / Cost Question

Lots of talk about changing exhaust systems, shimming the carb needles, modifying the air box, and installing different air filters (and enhancing the fuel injection systems on fuel injected bikes). But so little data…

Has anyone on this forum done any of the above modifications using a dynamometer to maximize (and document) the performance (power and torque) increases? Or know someone who has?

How many hours of dynamometer (and shop) time did it take?
How much was gained? (Before and after power and torque versus RPM curves, if you've got 'em).
How much did it cost?

I’m especially interested how this has worked out for the Ninjettes, but please share experiences with other bikes as well.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #2
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Lots of talk about changing exhaust systems, shimming the carb needles, modifying the air box, and installing different air filters (and enhancing the fuel injection systems on fuel injected bikes). But so little data…

Has anyone on this forum done any of the above modifications using a dynamometer to maximize (and document) the performance (power and torque) increases? Or know someone who has?

How many hours of dynamometer (and shop) time did it take?
How much was gained? (Before and after power and torque versus RPM curves, if you've got 'em).
How much did it cost?

I’m especially interested how this has worked out for the Ninjettes, but please share experiences with other bikes as well.

I have not, but somethings are tried and true. I myself have done the needle shims, modifying the OEM mufflers, and a K&N filter, but I did it for throttle response, not HP gains.

Like the bigger brother Ninja 500, Kawasaki has squeezed all the HP out of the little twins.

All other modifications, jet kits, aftermarket exhaust, etc only net minimal gains in the power category, aftermarket market exhaust save weight mostly, there modifications do more for throttle response, but then again so does going on a diet and dropping 20 or 30 pound. IMHO it's not worth the dyno time to see 5 HP.

So with that said, if you wanting to know will these things give you insane HP gains, my experience says no.

But don't let that stop you, just know this before your disappointed.

SIDENOTE: I'm talking about pre 2008 models, I have no experience with the 2008 & up

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
........... I’m especially interested how this has worked out for the Ninjettes, but please share experiences with other bikes as well.
https://ninja250forum.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=611951

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114186

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116101

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113158

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102408
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote