ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 9th, 2015, 11:01 PM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Bedding in the brakes way faster

I replaced my brake pads, and they felt horrible before the bed in procedure. So, what I did was drag the brake a little while riding through a parking lot. Now the brakes feel awesome. Was this a bad idea or a good idea or a "hmm.. be careful doing that" idea?
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2015, 12:17 AM   #2
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Follow manufacturer instructions.

Example : http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/beddin...ds-and-rotors/

I know the instructions for mine were to perform a bunch of emergency stops from above 30 or something like that. I don'tremember the numbers.

Old January 10th, 2015, 12:24 AM   #3
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Follow manufacturer instructions.

Example : http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/beddin...ds-and-rotors/

I know the instructions for mine were to perform a bunch of emergency stops from above 30 or something like that. I don'tremember the numbers.
On my EBC brakes, they said to ride 250 miles in the city with lots of stops. I think I'm probably fine as long as I don't warp the crap out of my rotor from heating it up a lot, but I wanted to hear what other people had to say. When that time comes to change pads again, I'll probably try to follow the manufacturer's instructions, but 250 miles in the city. Booooring!

Old January 10th, 2015, 01:32 AM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I replaced my brake pads, and they felt horrible before the bed in procedure. So, what I did was drag the brake a little while riding through a parking lot. Now the brakes feel awesome. Was this a bad idea or a good idea or a "hmm.. be careful doing that" idea?
sounds like a good way to overheat your rotors

Old January 10th, 2015, 03:37 AM   #5
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
sounds like a good way to overheat your rotors
Besides this good information the also good one from @Motofool could be from interest for you, which you find here: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=208520
But also it can be you didn't do it for to long time so it must not have any negative effect.
Good luck
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2015, 06:58 AM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Okay, so here's the thing:

those recommendations from the manufacturer are totally conservative. All break in procedures are. You don't LITERALLY have to only ride city roads for 250 miles before having fun.

Brakes pads need to be used progressively more and more to bed themselves into (take the shape of) the existing (and cleaned so the old pad material is gone!!!) brake rotor. The worst case scenario for this bedding in to take place is brakes that get barely used at low speeds and then held at a stop light. aka, city traffic. So the recommendation for the worst case scenario is intentionally excessive so the manufacturer can feel comfortable in covering its butt.

To bed in pads, do some stops but DO NOT keep the pads clamped to a stationary rotor. Aka, do your brake in down to a minimum of 5 mph and keep rolling. If you're riding in traffic normally, use your feet to stop that last 1 mph and don't hold the brakes while stopped if safe.

Start with a few gradual 30-5 stops. Then do some moderate ones. Then do some 60-5 firm stops. Again, let them cool before holding the pads to a stationary rotor or you'll burn hot spots in the rotor and leave little pad shaped marks on it. Don't go nuts and do a panic braking 100-0 right away because 1) you won't have power and 2) you'll glaze the pads. Bed them in with firm braking but don't overheat them immediately. Remember that before the pads have made little grooves that mate up to the grooves of the rotor, there is less material touching the rotor, which has to dissipate all the power you request it to, and it will glaze easier. This is why we start out with gradual braking and move on to firmer/faster braking.

By this point, you should be fine. If you really want to, you can hold the brakes while you ride, starting light and progressively applying more brake force, but I wouldn't recommend it when it's so much easier to go to an empty parking lot and do some controlled braking exercises.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 10th, 2015, 01:32 PM   #7
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
I've had pretty good luck over the years breaking in new pads by doing a few light-touch stops around the neighborhood (to make sure everything is put back correctly and functional) followed by a half dozen or so fairly quick stops from 35 or 40 mph (spread out over that first post-brake-job ride).

They're typically 95+% bedded in after that. Works well for both cars and bikes.

Last futzed with by dcj13; January 11th, 2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: fixed misspelling.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 10th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #8
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
How do you know when they're bedded in?

I've only changed pads once, and the new ones had a speedwobble affect. Went away away fifty or so miles.

Old January 10th, 2015, 11:06 PM   #9
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Thanks for all the good info. When the time comes, I'll probably take your advice, @choneofakind

@nickjpass I've only changed my brakes once, too, and I was pretty sure they were bedded in when I could feel the pads bite into the rotor and want to stop.

Old January 11th, 2015, 09:22 AM   #10
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Mine always wanted to stop? Maybe I'll see what you mean next pad change

Old January 11th, 2015, 09:34 AM   #11
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Nick, know that feeling right away with new pads when it feels like "mehhhhhhhh... maaybe I'll stop but you'll need to work for it"? But with good pads you've had for a while you get the perfect bite right away?

You know you're bedded in when the brake has the bite it had before you changed pads.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2015, 10:25 AM   #12
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Nick, know that feeling right away with new pads when it feels like "mehhhhhhhh... maaybe I'll stop but you'll need to work for it"? But with good pads you've had for a while you get the perfect bite right away?

You know you're bedded in when the brake has the bite it had before you changed pads.
Well put!
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2015, 12:56 PM   #13
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post

Okay. Makes sense now. I've never been particular about the bite of my brakes. But, I don't like a spongy feeling.

Old January 12th, 2015, 08:04 AM   #14
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I have always just done the brake cleaner and sandpaper on the rotor bit and then done the 60 to 5 run about 10 times progressively harder and harder and harder until the last one is pretty close to on the limit around a big parking lot. Same with the cars. Never had much of an issue but never really liked the ninjette brakes either so ......
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote