ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 5th, 2009, 03:43 AM   #1
zach
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 650R, 2009 250R

Couple of quick questions

Okay, I've only been riding for a few weeks, so don't hate on me too much for this post...but I've got a couple of " " type questions..

1. My throttle seems to be sticking slightly, it's not really bad enough that it seems that it's affecting anything other than making it idle a little high. I adjusted the idle a little lower to compensate for it, so it's not getting hot, but when I release the throttle, I have to push it to actually close it all the way off and it sorta "clicks" to fully close. What's up with that? How can I fix that?

2. Seeing as how I have only been riding for a few weeks, I have made the mistake a couple of times when rapidly shifting, of forgetting to pull the clutch...pretty stupid of me, but I have caught myself both times I did it, however, the bike actually shifted gears. How is that happening and what could I have possibly messed up?

Thanks, and don't make fun of me haha.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
1) Have your throttle cable lubed and check the return spring it may have to be replaced.
2) This is called speed shifting and if you have only done it a few times you may be ok but try not to do it as this "slams" the gears together which will cause premature wear.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #3
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

If your bike is new, take that puppy back to the dealership and tell them to fix your throttle, that is a safety hazard. If you bought it used and are comfortable working on your bike, look in the wiki's and see if there is a throttle adjustment thread. Or you can wait and see until kkim replies, he can tell you what you need to do. Can't say much about the clutchless shifting so I'll have to give a here.

nb

Old July 5th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #4
kkim

find and fix that throttle problem immediately. does it not close when you are not moving also, like if you are revving it in the garage? If so take the time time to diagnose the problem in the safety of your garage instead of on the open road.

I would suggest inspecting the cables to see if they are frayed and/or binding. It may be something as simple as your cables needing to be lubed or it could be something serious like a cable being frayed and ready to break.

As Snake has said, shifting w/o the clutch is possible and if done right all the time perfectly, there will be no harm. The problem is that very few have the skill or patience to shift it perfectly, everytime, and that will wear your transmission needlessly.

Watch some Moto GP racers when they have the cockpit camera shots... they use their clutch at almost every shift. What does that tell you? Unless you feel you're a better rider than Stoner or Rossi, I'd suggest using your clutch.

you have a PM.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #5
zach
ninjette.org member

It's hard to explain about the throttle, it's just barely noticeable I guess. Like if I am at a stop in first gear, and I release the clutch, I would still stall without giving it throttle. It doesn't stick anywhere when it's open, just when I release it, if I push it forward it will click like it didn't go back all the way, and I mean it's just barely there. Like I said, the only real noticeable part of it, is that it is causing it to idle just a tad higher.

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #6
kkim

The throttle, when properly adjusted, should snap all the way closed when you let go of it.

Try lubing everything that moves... cables, linkage at the carbs, throttle tube at the handlebars and see if that helps.

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #7
zach
ninjette.org member

Gonna get it done tomorrow morning I appreciate the help and the pictures, will help a lot. Thanks

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #8
kkim

NP... please follow up with the results after you work on the bike.

GL

Old July 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #9
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

You need to pick up a cable lubing tool like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...A1%7C72%3A1171

or this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CABLE...4506.m20.l1116

I have one that looks like the second one.. got it at a dealer..

You use cable lube with the spray straw that comes with it to shoot the lube up the cable.

Remember that your 250 has TWO cables.. one to open and one to close.. lube both by removing the cables at teh carb end. Taking teh cables off at the grip might drive you nuts.. its not that bad.. but its easier to do it at teh carb. You can also adjust the cables at teh grip.. check your owner's manual on how to do that.. there is an adjustment collar over there and a plastic lock nut.

Check out http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Lubing_the_cables

Here is the tool on my bike:

In this pic the bike's carbs were off... so it was the perfect time.

My throttle was sticking horribly when I bought it.. now its as good as new.

Hope that helps.
Adam

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #10
JCCJMM_
ninjette.org member

Name: John-Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Before you go lubing the throttle cables, take a peek at where the cable is attached to the throttle body linkage (look around the carbs on the right side). There is a wire harness connector covered by a black piece of vinyl that is known to cause the cable to snag.

It happened to me and I just zip tied the connector up and away from the throttle linkage, did not need to lube.

Now that I saw it, take a look at above picture at the end of the cable that the luber is attached to. Look just to the let of the cable and you will see the culprit. It is worth a few seconds of looking, could save you alot of time.
JCCJMM_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #11
Wes
ninjette.org member

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): EX250-F14

Simple stuff first, folks!

Make sure your throttle hand grip is not rubbing on the right control pod or the bar end. After that -- clean and lube! It should snap closed. If it doesn't, pop the right control pod open and see if the wires are frayed.

Wes
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote