ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 15th, 2015, 08:57 AM   #1
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

ASTech seats?

I know this question is a bit more cruiser oriented, but I figure having a more comfortable seat is a fairly universal need, and there's a pretty big variation of people here- Does anyone have any experience with astech seat? I'm setting up an FZ-07 for a cross country trip in a couple months, and the corbin seat option looks as horrible as it is expensive, so I was hoping for an alternative. These guys so far have given me the most reasonable quote.

Anyone ever used them?
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2015, 09:43 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
no, but they totally missed an opportunity by not adding an s to the middle of the name

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 15th, 2015, 09:47 AM   #3
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Never heard of them but I can tell you the Corbin I put on my 2005 VFR800 Interceptor is the most comfortable mc seat I've ever owned! I've done more than a few 1000+ km days on it too. It's about 1250 km between Vancouver & Calgary. Ride to, sleep, turn around & ride home. Less discomfort at the end of each day than sitting in my office chair all day!
In my case; worth every penny! Your experience may vary!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2015, 09:59 AM   #4
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
no, but they totally missed an opportunity by not adding an s to the middle of the name
I see what you did there

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Never heard of them but I can tell you the Corbin I put on my 2005 VFR800 Interceptor is the most comfortable mc seat I've ever owned! I've done more than a few 1000+ km days on it too. It's about 1250 km between Vancouver & Calgary. Ride to, sleep, turn around & ride home. Less discomfort at the end of each day than sitting in my office chair all day!
In my case; worth every penny! Your experience may vary!
I was initially going to go with corbin, until I saw what they were offering for the FZ-07. It turns the two part rider/passenger seat into a single banana seat. And no amount of relief is worth the aesthetic suicide of switching to a banana seat, haha (But for real). The astech seats are also 1/3 of the price, since they're just redoing the internals of the stock seat, which is nice, but I'd honestly not care about the price difference as much if the corbin seat wasn't so hideous (looks like this, just for the record- http://corbin.com/yamaha/yfz714g.shtml)

Actually, now that you mention it, I wonder if corbin does reshaping/padding stock stuff too. I think they're local. I'll call and ask tomorrow when they open

Old November 15th, 2015, 06:11 PM   #5
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Check out http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php too. I've heard good things about Spencer, but no personal experience.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2015, 07:24 PM   #6
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Check out seat concepts, it looks like they have a seat for you maybe?

I have their seats on both of my bikes I run major miles on and love them.

http://seatconcepts.com/products#!/Y...tegory=1671359

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2015, 08:30 AM   #7
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
Check out http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php too. I've heard good things about Spencer, but no personal experience.
Awesome- thanks! I'm definitely open to any suggestions if anyone knows of other companies that have a good reputation. Just emailed him for a quote and I'll see what he says

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
Check out seat concepts, it looks like they have a seat for you maybe?

I have their seats on both of my bikes I run major miles on and love them.

http://seatconcepts.com/products#!/Y...tegory=1671359
Also thanks for this! It looks to be about the same price of as the astech reshaping, but if it's just a cover, I won't have to send off my seat and have my bike unrideable for a while. Looks like the ADVRider crowd also endorses these guys. I'm gonna try getting a few more quotes from places and try to find some more reviews before commiting, but this sounds like a pretty great option right now.

This has been tremendously more helpful than asking all my race buddies who, like myself, have all spent years building bikes to be less comfortable in favor of short term performance, haha

Old November 16th, 2015, 09:08 AM   #8
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Aww, scratch the greatdaytoride.com guy. Apparently he's never worked on an FZ-07 before (Or even gotten to see one in person), so until he's test ridden and had a chance to handle and understand the seat, he won't accept any work on them.

That does sound like it bodes really well for the other seats he works on, as he obviously cares a lot about doing work that he knows will be satisfactory, but it sucks for me, haha........ T_T

Old January 2nd, 2016, 09:37 AM   #9
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Not sure if anyone else cares about the outcome of this, but I thought I'd check in in case anyone else is looking to get this done in the future or looking at this specific company- after combing the internet, looking at a bunch of other options, and talking to corbin and a few other places about having the seat redone (They won't reshape a stock seat, it turns out), I ended up taking the gamble on ASTech in Indiana.

I shipped off my seat, they called me once they received it to make sure they knew exactly what I wanted, had it done the same day, then shipped it back. The whole process took around a week and a half-2 weeks-ish purely because of the shipping time. The actual work was done quite quickly.

I got the seat back right in time for new years and took it for a nice long ride yesterday. Previously, I'd be feeling it in my entire body and dying to get off the bike after about 2 hours on the stock seat. Yesterday, I did a 4 hour ride, followed by a half hour ride, then followed by another hour and a half- and I had zero pain the entire time. The seat felt fantastic.

The true test will be once I'm doing 500+ mile days on my cross country trip in two months, but so far, it feels like a MASSIVE improvement. They did great work for a reasonable price. Would recommend

Oh, and because everything is better with pictures- from my ride yesterday:

The seat still looks the same as stock, so I didn't bother to take close up shots. But yeah. SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW

Old January 2nd, 2016, 03:44 PM   #10
Country Joe
Grouchy Old Squid

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 1993 Yamaha FJ 1200 ABS, 1990 Yamaha FJ 1200, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT-S

Have you looked at the Airhawk inflatable seat cushion? Most people that have them rave about them.
Country Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2016, 03:56 PM   #11
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

I hadn't heard of them, so I didn't look into that before hand, but I also wanted to keep the stock seat height and width, so having the internals redone seemed like a better idea than just a seat cover for me, personally. All in all, I've got no complaints with what I ended up with. I'll keep that in mind if I end up in this position with another bike in the future, though!