Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old March 25th, 2016, 10:00 PM   #1
DanteCoal
ninjette.org member

Name: Dante

Motorcycle(s): 2016 Ninja 300 ABS, R.I.P 1986 Ninja EX250

Rear Suspension Help

I've googled quite a bit and came up pretty empty handed.

I'm a very light weight rider. I'm 5' 10", and around 140 lbs soaking wet. I've seen a great many threads for setting your shock, for putting in a heavier spring, etc, but I haven't been able to find anything for lightweight riders. (I've even looked around on female specific forums)

So, any help or advice? Aftermarket stuff for us skinny folks? I've got my OEM shocks at to 1 already, but it would be nice to get something a hair lighter for my body.

Also if someone is feeling generous, advice on my front end suspension would be greatly appreciated, as that's all black magic to me still. :P
DanteCoal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2016, 10:21 PM   #2
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

It is my opinion that the ninja 250 is very well 'set up' for a wide variety of riders.

Easier and cheaper to learn how to use the tools that you have to their greatest advantage than to modify your tools in such a way that they become easier to use.

Legs and arms are wonderful suspension components.

Is there something mechanically wrong with the functioning of your bike? Perhaps your front forks are bent, or something of that nature.

Hopefully someone else is more helpful than I.

Old March 25th, 2016, 10:21 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I am just taking an educated guess here, but as long as you're not loading 50+ more lbs on the bike... you're pretty much weigh within the stock operating range.

Is there a problem you're trying to solve? Riding 2up? Riding extended ranges?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2016, 10:27 PM   #4
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Post close up pictures of your front & rear tire wear. They will tell us what your suspension is doing and what ight need tweaking, if anything.
But considering your weight; there's probably nothing you need to do but spend your money on upgrading your riding skills!
I WISH I had your suspension problems!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2016, 10:40 PM   #5
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Dante for the rear I could recommend the following shock for you: MZ366-320TRL from YSS (this is a company from Thailand and their shocks are well known in Europe but maybe not so much in USA for some given reason...).
You can find the description here (please scroll down to Z-366R): http://www.yssusa.com/series-z.html
If you have questions about it send an email to Klaus Huenecke from YSS USA (he is well known in the riders community) http://www.yssusa.com/about_us.html
With this shock you have the big advantage to setup the Rebound (important) and the spring rate is 80 N/mm what is much better for your weight instead of the oem 93 N/mm.
The front normally should fit your weight, maybe give it a little bit less Preload (by shortening the fork collar) and maybe lower the oil level by 5mm.
Anyway look to set up the sag for your weight.
Good luck
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2016, 10:23 AM   #6
DanteCoal
ninjette.org member

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I totally forgot to mention that I'm on a brand new 2016 Ninja 300, not a 250. Stock tires, shock, etc. I've removed some weight from the bike with aluminum fittings, exhaust hanger / passenger peg delete, but I doubt those would have much effect. It's only got 603 miles on it right now.

I rode the hell out of my old '86 Ninja 250 though, and aside from refurbishing the front forks, I don't recall any suspension issues with it.

Old March 26th, 2016, 06:38 PM   #7
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

What exactly are you looking to get from your suspension?
Better traction for high speed works on the track?
More comfortable ride for daily commute?
Avoid dented wheels when running over potholes?

I'm 5'10", 155 lb. soaking wet.
I use OEM rear shock from 2012 Ninja 250 on my 04 Ninja 250.
I replaced the OEM rear tire with a 130/90-16 rear tire, that jacks up the rear end, (when bike is parked on centerstand, rear tire still touch the ground), put more weight on the forks.
Progressive fork springs, heavier fork oil.
Altogether works for me for my daily commute in NYC, where streets are littered with potholes, slick metal planks and even cobblestones.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2016, 06:46 PM   #8
DanteCoal
ninjette.org member

More or less I'm looking for a smoother ride for commuting, something that doesn't feel like the road is jarring me around as much. The YSS shock looks promising, as I'm not opposed to putting money into the bike. I don't think I would want to go with different tire sizes however

Old March 26th, 2016, 06:52 PM   #9
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Sometimes less tire pressure is all you need for more comfortable ride.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2016, 07:13 PM   #10
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Yes Dante I've seen that your bike is the EX300.
The differences between the EX250 and the EX300 is so less, it's even not worth to talk about.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #11
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteCoal View Post
So, any help or advice? Aftermarket stuff for us skinny folks?
Have you considered investing in a barbell, squat rack, and plates? As long as you don't neglect your diet, they may be the best aftermarket component you buy!

Old March 26th, 2016, 07:38 PM   #12
DanteCoal
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
Have you considered investing in a barbell, squat rack, and plates? As long as you don't neglect your diet, they may be the best aftermarket component you buy!
I thought the point was to loose weight from a bike?

Seriously though, I've tried gaining weight, it just doesn't work for me. 30 years old and I can't manage to keep on a spare pound unless it's strapped to my bag. lol

Old March 27th, 2016, 06:30 PM   #13
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
There's some question over ideal spring rates, but according to RT's calc, the stock rear spring is 20% too stiff for your weight. With the rear too stiff, it'll tend to skip instead of properly absorbing bumps. The fork springs are a bit soft for your weight too, which will only make the rocking horse effect more severe.

I wouldn't expect these differences to have a huge effect on how the bike operates, but I am a big proponent of getting spring rates to match your weight. You can try to set your sag to see how far off the springs are (if they're too far off, you won't be able to get proper free and static sag settings at the same time). Any decent aftermarket shock should come with a spring matched to your weight (whether that's lighter or heavier than stock). Some of the GSXR shocks have softer springs too, if you'd rather DIY and save some money. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...02#post1023302 The SV650 shock actually has about the right spring rate.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2016, 07:38 PM   #14
DanteCoal
ninjette.org member

ooooh, I wasn't aware of that calculator, thank you so much!

According to that, I should be looking for a spring rate of 7.824, now to find the closest thing to that, that'll fit the 300. Go-go-gadget google-fu! lol