ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old March 31st, 2016, 06:51 PM   #1
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Fog light / additional head lights for little ninjette

I have tried browsing this forum but can't seem to find any thread on this. I was thinking to put fog lights for my ninjette and the best place to put it most probably at the forks.

Anyone had done it before? Would love to see the result. Maybe I would get one myself.

thanx!

Old March 31st, 2016, 09:42 PM   #2
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...=179150&page=4

They helped my conspicuity
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (150.1 KB, 14 views)

Ride more, worry less.

Last futzed with by verboten1; April 1st, 2016 at 02:57 PM.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2016, 10:47 PM   #3
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

I modified a go-pro mount in an unorthodox way... I jimmied a handlebar mount, onto the end of a stick-on camera mount... So I can clip a handlebar mount onto a camera base. 180* of aiming ability off the X axis of the mount, and 180* off the Y axis.

Coupled with a surefire invictus 1k lumen flashlight... which I bored out on a ghetto sand-paper lathe... to accept 18650 size li-ion rechargeable cells in parallel with 2700maH apiece.. coupled with a modified remote activation touch-panel tail cap and a stick-on switch on the outside of the helmet...

Touch chin of helmet once = 200lumen low beam, touch twice = 1000lumen high beam. Or a high intensity strobe light if I'm feeling really angsty.

That light is bright enough to melt the skin off of small mammals which cross the beam -- and with it rigged up on my helmet it points wherever I look.

It's almost a shame I never ride at night so I can't use it often.

Old March 31st, 2016, 10:48 PM   #4
corksil

^^^^ same idea could work for a less expensive light as long as the flashlight body can fit within a gopro handlebar mount (about 1" in diameter +/-).

Old April 1st, 2016, 04:51 AM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
http://www.webbikeworld.com has done a lot of reviews of stuff like this.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2016, 06:54 AM   #6
OX-34
IBA#486

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 300, FJR1300, Super Tenere, Blackbird, TMax scoot

This on my 300. I used the mirror mount point for the lights and used mirrors from another bike on the handlebars.

These are on my Yamaha YZF-R15, which uses similar mounting to the Ninja 250. I used hollow 25mm section aluminium tubing and swapped the stock mirror bolts for longer ones.

Lights on the forks may be useful for other vehicles to see you, but they are not very good for seeing down the road at night. For that they should be mounted up high, depending on your local road rules and regulations.
OX-34 is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old April 1st, 2016, 10:07 AM   #7
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I tried looking for those lights, Peter, on eBay and couldn't find them. Could you post up a link to the Aus site where you got yours? That'll give me a start to find them here in the US.

I really really like your set up.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 1st, 2016, 10:10 AM   #8
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

/Not moved to Motorcycle Gear

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2016, 03:40 PM   #9
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
There are a bunch of Denali knockoff lights fairly cheap on eBay and such. On the 500, the included brackets actually fit right under the fender bolts down on the forks. This gives you some lighting that turns with the steering, as well as creating a triangle of light to make it easier to judge your speed and position.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2016, 06:08 PM   #10
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
The only reason i came up with attaching it via forks is that only saw Versys doing this.. lol.

nice setting Peter. But if the lights were way that high, wouldn't it be projecting directly to the other road users in front of us? Got any pictures switching it on? How do you do the swicth and where do you put it?

Old April 1st, 2016, 06:13 PM   #11
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Maybe in Australia it is different (idk), but to avoid dazzle Fog lamps should be positioned as low as possible.

Last futzed with by Somchai; April 1st, 2016 at 11:06 PM.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2016, 07:46 PM   #12
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
I tried looking for those lights, Peter, on eBay and couldn't find them. Could you post up a link to the Aus site where you got yours? That'll give me a start to find them here in the US.

Let me know if you find something suitable. I want to see your set up.

Old April 1st, 2016, 08:34 PM   #13
OX-34
IBA#486

Quote:

Teri I have looked back through my eBay account to find the link but it has disappeared as it is too old. I had those lights just lying around the shed for a while, so I'm not sure when I bought them. Sorry.

Old April 1st, 2016, 08:45 PM   #14
OX-34
IBA#486

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
There are a bunch of Denali knockoff lights fairly cheap on eBay and such. On the 500, the included brackets actually fit right under the fender bolts down on the forks. This gives you some lighting that turns with the steering, as well as creating a triangle of light to make it easier to judge your speed and position.
The 'triangle of light' may make you more visible.

Lights turning with the steering though..... That is handy if you dropped something on the ground or are looking for a letter box number or something at the roadside and want to use your headlights as a set of search lights.

But when cornering, there is no benefit beyond walking speed. When you are cornering through the twisties your bars are slightly turned the wrong way because of countersteering. They may end up pointing straight, but they do not point inward toward the apex.

Cornering lights on the forks can be of some use if you point them at a crazy angle upward and either inward across the the bike's long axis at 45 deg (the outside light will be slightly higher due to bike lean) or outward where the light closest to the apex is now shining just 20-30cm high and across the ground.

Either that or instead you just choose a very wide light pattern and blast light everywhere all at once. That does work, though can't be used in oncoming traffic of course.

Old April 1st, 2016, 08:55 PM   #15
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Quote:

Search in Amazon for this SKU10001.

Old April 1st, 2016, 09:15 PM   #16
OX-34
IBA#486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu_Mishary View Post
The only reason i came up with attaching it via forks is that only saw Versys doing this.. lol.
Got any pictures switching it on? How do you do the swicth and where do you put it?
Here are the same lights on my Versys:

The switch is on the left handlebar - Ninja 300:

This is the sort of thing I used:

Quote:

.....But if the lights were way that high, wouldn't it be projecting directly to the other road users in front of us? .........

It comes down to the purpose of the lights, because that determines when you use them.

Riding around during the day with all of your lights on hoping to be seen better by other road users? Well, that's up to you and I won't comment further.

Using them in fog to help you see better? Get them down low (eg forks) and aim them low to both avoid dazzling other road users and also to better see the road markings and obstacles without having your whole visual field lit up and blinding yourself at the same time.

I use them to see better at night outside of city limits. We have lots of wildlife to hit and that is what I'm trying to avoid. To reinforce that particular use, here in Oz we have to have driving/spot lights connected via high beam only. So I have a switch for my lights, but it only works when I am on high beam. By definition, I won't be dazzling other road users because I will dip my lights to low beam when they are close.

You can never have enough light for 24 hour rides in the Australian bush :

Old April 1st, 2016, 09:55 PM   #17
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
How much power can we safely draw from the battery? I know some of us have heated grips and other electrical gadgets that requires juice from the bike/battery as well. Is there a total wattage number out there we shouldn't try to stay under?

Also, spot beam vs flood beam pattern. Which one is better? Is it better to see (spot)? Or better to be seen (flood)?

Old April 1st, 2016, 10:44 PM   #18
OX-34
IBA#486

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
How much power can we safely draw from the battery? I know some of us have heated grips and other electrical gadgets that requires juice from the bike/battery as well. Is there a total wattage number out there we shouldn't try to stay under?
I have a bunch of bikes, but the Ninja is not one I have attached many electrical bits to. I have no idea of the alternator wattage output, the 'normal' requirements of the bike and then what you're really wanting to know: the safe excess. Fitting a simple voltmeter can give some reassurance on the run.

My Tenere in the above pic can handle all of those lights, heated grips, heated vest, and little things like a few GPSs and communication system and charge my phone. I still run a voltmeter...

Quote:

Also, spot beam vs flood beam pattern. Which one is better? Is it better to see (spot)? Or better to be seen (flood)?
Better is up to the individual. Having a purpose helps with that decision immediately. I run lights so that i can see. I do not run lights so that others can see me.

Some people put on an aftermarket pipe. Maybe it looks good, maybe it sounds loud/good, maybe someone on the road will hear it and not cut you off, maybe others will think your bike is bigger than 300ccs, maybe your mates all have one, maybe it saves a few kgs of weight.

If you're putting extra lights on your bike just figure out why you are doing it and then the decision is easy.

With that Tenere above I have the four big lights (2x fog, 2x spot) on one switch and the 4 little lights (4x medium spread) on another switch. I know which ones I want on under what road conditions and switch them accordingly.

In fog if I have all four of those big ones on I can't see anything but a white curtain

If I'm running long nights in the outback the whole world is lit up

In the twisties I can see round corners

Old April 2nd, 2016, 01:30 AM   #19
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
This seems to light the road up pretty well, but for the cash, my $20 lights were the best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (108.1 KB, 7 views)

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2016, 08:35 AM   #20
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:

The battery is not the concern when figuring power. The wattage rating of the stator is what we should be concerned about. It is rated 19 amps at 14 volts, or 260 watts.

Of course, need to subtract the things it already has like headlights, ignition system, etc. Best not to run the stator at 100% capacity. Electrical systems like 80-85% capacity for best performance.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2016, 01:16 PM   #21
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Thanks! Looks like a 40 watt lightbar should be ok, even with all the oem items turned on.

Old April 2nd, 2016, 04:59 PM   #22
OX-34
IBA#486

As a bonus Cadd, your 300 makes 294W at 5000rpm. (RacingNinja and Abu_Mishary are running 260W, but on Ninja 250s)

We still don't know how much the bikes themselves need before adding any accessories, but a 40W light bar will be fine.

Old April 2nd, 2016, 06:20 PM   #23
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Just to make it complete: The Ninja 250-FI is 322 W @ 5000 rpm...

Old April 2nd, 2016, 09:46 PM   #24
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX-34 View Post
As a bonus Cadd, your 300 makes 294W at 5000rpm. (RacingNinja and Abu_Mishary are running 260W, but on Ninja 250s)

We still don't know how much the bikes themselves need before adding any accessories, but a 40W light bar will be fine.
I thought the electrical for either 300's or 250's are the same? Why is there a watt difference?

Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:07 PM   #25
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
I thought the electrical for either 300's or 250's are the same? Why is there a watt difference?
300 is FI, 250 in the states is not.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:44 PM   #26
corksil

So if we carb'd 250r folks are looking at 260w of output, how much of a draw will high-beams, turn signals, and ignition etc be drawing?

I'm wondering what the safe overhead is in terms of how many usable watts we have left over with all the other stuff drawing peak load.

Assuming 85% load, in total.

Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:55 PM   #27
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
So if we carb'd 250r folks are looking at 260w of output, how much of a draw will high-beams, turn signals, and ignition etc be drawing?

I'm wondering what the safe overhead is in terms of how many usable watts we have left over with all the other stuff drawing peak load.

Assuming 85% load, in total.
It'll be cool to know an extremely conservative number.

For example:
high beams on
the turn signal blinking
the brake light on
all the lights on the dash lit (check engine, etc)
the horn being pressed
do all this while the bike is idling

Is there way to check how much juice is being used? I suppose I can wire up my multimeter in series and use the amp function??? However, my multimeter only goes as far as 10 amps. I'm assuming this will require more than 10amps?

Old April 2nd, 2016, 11:17 PM   #28
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Quote:
It'll be cool to know an extremely conservative number.

For example:
high beams on
the turn signal blinking
the brake light on
all the lights on the dash lit (check engine, etc)
the horn being pressed
do all this while the bike is idling

Is there way to check how much juice is being used? I suppose I can wire up my multimeter in series and use the amp function??? However, my multimeter only goes as far as 10 amps. I'm assuming this will require more than 10amps?
To answer your question, the number what you'd ask and based on the 250R-FI is: 317.6 W (please remember that the low-beam is always on).
Light for the plate (always on): 5 W
Rear light (always on): 5 W
Ignition and Fuel-System alone is 96 W.
Plus:
Fan (when in use): 31.2 W

Old April 2nd, 2016, 11:35 PM   #29
redsnapper
ninjette.org member

Name: Red Snapper XXX

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Here's what I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1977370_10201792981895443_1903526922_n.jpg (114.2 KB, 7 views)
redsnapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2016, 11:46 PM   #30
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
300 is FI, 250 in the states is not.

Ahha.. thank you for highlighting that one. I kept forgetting that there are several market segmentation based on continents. mine is 250 FI. I guess it produces the same wattage as a 300 FI in the states.

Old April 3rd, 2016, 12:02 AM   #31
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Would this help?

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31087
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote