ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old March 17th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #1
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Lost my job today

Due to on going budget problems, 3 people were laid off in my division at Argonne National Lab today.

I was one of them.

Already looking at some different things, just a lot to get my head around at the moment.

keep me in your prayers.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old March 17th, 2017, 12:34 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
:\

Sorry and good luck in your search for the next big thing.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2017, 12:35 PM   #3
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
feel for you, I went thought a new job search last year. hope it works out for you.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2017, 12:40 PM   #4
Rifleman
Old and slow

It will, i have marketable skills and experience...

just a little jolting at the moment is all.

Old March 17th, 2017, 01:02 PM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Sorry to hear that.

The transition is usually stressful, but sometimes a forced change can open the door for something better.

Hope that happens for you.

I was laid-off (OK - fired) from a job in auto body, so I made a transition into a field that I was passionate about (professional photography) which lead to making a move to Chicago. After the professional photography industry blew-up, I made a transition to another field I was passionate about (refinishing), and moved again to start a business.

That's been 4 years now and although it was painful at times I'm happy it worked out like it did.

Luckily I got fired, because some of the guys I worked with are still there doing the same ****** job over 20 years later. No thanks.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 17th, 2017, 01:07 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
I know how you are feeling, Lohman; it has happened to me as well, more than three years ago and more than 16 years ago.

You will not forget the feeling.
Just try getting busy sharpening your saling-yourself-skills, rather than meditating about what/why/when this has happened to you and about how your future will be.

If you can apply for unemployment compensation, start the process right now; it is time sensitive.
Some related places offer free classes about how to prepare yourself for the job searching process, which is equivalent to working a full time job regarding time and energy.

Best wishes
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2017, 01:23 PM   #7
Rifleman
Old and slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I know how you are feeling, Lohman; it has happened to me as well, more than three years ago and more than 16 years ago.

You will not forget the feeling.
Just try getting busy sharpening your saling-yourself-skills, rather than meditating about what/why/when this has happened to you and about how your future will be.

If you can apply for unemployment compensation, start the process right now; it is time sensitive.
Some related places offer free classes about how to prepare yourself for the job searching process, which is equivalent to working a full time job regarding time and energy.

Best wishes
thanks for the support, i'm in a pretty good spot right at this moment. I'm getting paid for the next two weeks in lieu of 2 weeks notice (not sure how that makes any sense, you are paying me for 2 weeks, I've got stuff that needs to be turned over... but I'll stay home if that's what you want) I also am maxed out on vacation, so they have to pay me for that as well, and I have a letter in hand of a 5 figure severance package.

My understanding is that unemployment can't start until that last two weeks + vacation pay is done. Technically I'm still employed in the eyes of the state of Illinois.

I have got to find someone to ask all the questions to (lawyer) but just today, it's not awful, just a change.

My biggest question is can I go back to work for another division at Argonne if I accept the severance? if so, how long... and the like.

Like others have said, sometimes the best thing is the rock you are standing on goes away... you get to move to a better rock.

Old March 17th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #8
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
It's just the nudge to get you going on the next great chapter of your life! Best of luck

Old March 17th, 2017, 04:27 PM   #9
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
That sounds like a real kick in the dong. Good to hear you're not in such a bad spot, but the situation sucks nonetheless. Keep us all updated!
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2017, 04:46 PM   #10
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
My biggest question is can I go back to work for another division at Argonne if I accept the severance? if so, how long... and the like.
I think the HR department will be the place to get the information. The conditions depend greatly from one to another.
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2017, 05:15 PM   #11
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Get up to Canada before we build the wall!

Good luck, Lohman. Losing employment is always very unsettling no matter what the reason when it isn't instigated by oneself. Keep in mind: it’s not you; it’s the changes happening beyond your control. Sounds like you have the training & experience that will land you on your feet elsewhere.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #12
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
I will keep you in my prayers. Keep your head up.

Old March 17th, 2017, 05:47 PM   #13
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Hope it all works out for the best!

Old March 17th, 2017, 11:03 PM   #14
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

One door leads to the next.

You are a very intelligent character and this sounds as if it will lead you on toward bigger and better things.

"The sole responsibility of a business is to it's shareholders." It's sad that the human element is often overlooked when things come up for review and a corporation is trying to increase it's profit margins. Don't take it personally.

Look to the future and don't get stuck on what may have happened differently or anything else in the past.

Keep a level head and be mindful of your words as you disengage from your former employer. Some corporations intentionally act rude as they let people go for the sinister purpose of subtly encouraging them to say things which can be held against them. I guess what I'm trying to say is.... "even if it feels personal, don't be emotionally reactive to the situation in a way that could backfire to your detriment."

Keep us informed. This site is a great network of intelligent people from all walks of life.

Old March 18th, 2017, 01:49 PM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
My understanding is that unemployment can't start until that last two weeks + vacation pay is done. Technically I'm still employed in the eyes of the state of Illinois.
Don't listen to a word your HR dept tells you about that point, work it out with the state. Worst case, you apply and get denied. And even then, you appeal. If you can find clear guidance on the state websites, trust that over anything else (from HR, or here for that matter). In California at least, severance packages, paid out vacation pay over time, and a variety of other payments at or after termination date, do not count as employment. The applicant is eligible for unemployment regardless of those (after a 1 week waiting period, which is in place no matter what the circumstances).

Quote:
This is wholly dependent on the severance agreement. Read it carefully, and understand the terms. If they don't make sense, ask questions until they are clarified. Unless you are considering legal action, I'm not sure that a lawyer is the first step here. Nothing wrong with running it by a lawyer friend or two, but engaging one professionally doesn't seem like the first step.

Quote:
Like others have said, sometimes the best thing is the rock you are standing on goes away... you get to move to a better rock.
Generally, I also believe that things tend to work out. But I fully understand the stress and annoyance of going through it due to no conscious decision of your own. Hindsight is always 20/20 or better, but one career mistake I made a few years ago after going through a similar situation, was accepting a job at a scale/level that was a bit lower than I was capable of. Financially, career-wise, and quite a few other -wises, I would have been better off staying out another 6-12 months or even longer searching for a better opportunity than grabbing the "OK" one that came up. And I might have been able to create even more websites than just Ninjette!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old March 18th, 2017, 02:50 PM   #16
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I'm very sorry to hear that. Good thing you have marketable skills. Another door will open for you.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2017, 04:28 PM   #17
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Sorry to hear about this. I know what this is like. I was a mechanic for a very long time. Then suddenly I found myself unemployed. Then I found myself unable to find a job. Loosing a job was never a problem until I suddenly found there was no others jobs. This was a shock. Normally I was never out of work for more than a couple days.

My advice is to find something. Anything ASAP. And at the same time take a mental breath before deciding what to do. You gotta make money and keep occupied. But finding a new career can maybe be something that you won't expect.

Old March 18th, 2017, 09:04 PM   #18
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
More time to ride your bike!

Seriously, I'm sorry, because being let go sucks. It sounds like a good severance package, which can definitely help ease things along and get you through until your next good thing comes up. Hoping that's soon for you.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #19
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Nothing wrong with running it by a lawyer friend or two, but engaging one professionally doesn't seem like the first step.
In my experience, as soon as the words "talking to a lawyer" are spoken, all sorts of red flags go up and the situation can change. I agree with Alex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
My advice is to find something. Anything ASAP. And at the same time take a mental breath before deciding what to do. You gotta make money and keep occupied. But finding a new career can maybe be something that you won't expect.
Hey it's good to see you posting again ^^^ I also agree. There is something to be said for taking too much time off and having the skill of "being employed" atrophy. Men do well with rhythms and routine. Don't get too far out of the flow of "working." From my perspective, you weren't "let go" --- you were more so "released back into the wild" and good things will come of this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
More time to ride your bike!
Yep it's important to have fun because stress is cumulative and can become toxic over time. When you feel good, everything is easy. When you don't feel good, everything feels like a chore.

Old April 10th, 2017, 04:15 PM   #20
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Everyone else covered pretty much everything I have to say. Sounds like you're in a pretty good place, as far as situations like this go.

If you can manage it, don't be afraid to take some time off from work. Like they say, nobody on their deathbed ever wishes they spent more time at work. Not working for too long does make it harder to start again, but taking a little work-free break can be a great thing.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2017, 04:24 PM   #21
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
I'm getting paid for the next two weeks in lieu of 2 weeks notice (not sure how that makes any sense, you are paying me for 2 weeks, I've got stuff that needs to be turned over... but I'll stay home if that's what you want)
It's a pretty normal policy, aimed at preventing disgruntled employees from sabotaging the whole works to get even. If an employee turns in his 2 weeks notice (or 30 days, etc.) or even lets it slip that he's looking for work elsewhere, many companies will ask him/her to clean out his/her desk and leave immediately, for the same reason.

Enjoy the extra 2 weeks of paid leave, even if you're gruntled.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2017, 06:57 PM   #22
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
It's a pretty normal policy, aimed at preventing disgruntled employees from sabotaging the whole works to get even. If an employee turns in his 2 weeks notice (or 30 days, etc.) or even lets it slip that he's looking for work elsewhere, many companies will ask him/her to clean out his/her desk and leave immediately, for the same reason.

Enjoy the extra 2 weeks of paid leave, even if you're gruntled.
Yup. Clean desk on the same day and enjoyed that 2 weeks out riding. That was what I did.

Old April 11th, 2017, 01:42 PM   #23
corksil

Quote:
gruntled
I actually looked that up to make sure it was a word. Obviously one can be 'dis' gruntled, but I've never heard the term 'gruntled' used before. And spell check is highlighting it as incorrectly spelled.

Anyways, back on topic.

Hopefully you are doing well, Rifleman!

Old April 11th, 2017, 02:15 PM   #24
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

It was meant to be humorous, like when Don Rickles played the loser on the Andy Griffith Show, and declared that he was no longer inept... he was ept!

Last futzed with by Triple Jim; April 12th, 2017 at 05:56 AM.

Old April 11th, 2017, 03:21 PM   #25
Rifleman
Old and slow

nailing down a Lab tech/remote manipulator operator job in Akin S.C. About 95% locked in so keep doing what you are doing.

this is going to be a good change for me, should have done it years ago

9 out of 9 members found this post helpful.
Old April 11th, 2017, 07:29 PM   #26
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
nailing down a Lab tech/remote manipulator operator job in Akin S.C. About 95% locked in so keep doing what you are doing.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2017, 03:59 AM   #27
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
It was meant to be humorous, like when Don Rickels played the loser on the Andy Griffith Show, and declared that he was no longer inept... he was ept!
Or if you're a manchild like me and love cartoons:

MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2017, 05:41 AM   #28
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
SC = long riding season compared to Chicago!

Old April 12th, 2017, 07:30 AM   #29
Girlasue47
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Susan

Motorcycle(s): kawasaki 250 R ninja 2007

Hope you find other employment soon.
Girlasue47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2017, 10:26 AM   #30
corksil

Quote:

Fv<k yeah! He's doing well!!

Old May 19th, 2017, 06:53 AM   #31
Rifleman
Old and slow

got a job offer letter yesterday from the Savana River Nuc site in Aiken, S.C.

proposed start date is June 5

Now the real work begins, moving everything and selling this barn of a house I live in

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
Old May 19th, 2017, 06:57 AM   #32
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
got a job offer letter yesterday from the Savana River Nuc site in Aiken, S.C.

proposed start date is June 5

Now the real work begins, moving everything and selling this barn of a house I live in
Congrats!
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2017, 06:59 AM   #33
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

For me, Aiken would be a lot more pleasant to live than the Chicago suburbs. Nearly no snow, close to a lot of very nice beaches and rivers, and lots of country roads close by. I hope you enjoy it if you move there.

Old May 19th, 2017, 07:55 AM   #34
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
Congrats and good luck with the move.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #35
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Congrats!! =)

Old May 19th, 2017, 01:59 PM   #36
CaliGrrl

Excellent news! Enjoy your new job.

Old June 6th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #37
Rifleman
Old and slow

well officially a South Carolinian... First day on the new job was yesterday.

trying to get my house in Illinois empty and sold.

then look for a house down here...

yeah, it's all good... 5 hours from the Tail of the Dragon and lots more riding weather here.

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old June 6th, 2017, 03:53 PM   #38
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
There's that silver lining! Congrats!

Old June 6th, 2017, 09:32 PM   #39
CaliGrrl

Progress! I'm glad you're moving on with new things.

Old June 28th, 2017, 12:09 AM   #40
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

I'm glad it worked out for you, I kept you in my prayers. Good luck and congrats to your new job!
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote