ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 13th, 2021, 03:10 PM   #1
DerickE
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Derick

Motorcycle(s): 06 Concours, 06 Goldwing, 06 250F

Trying to rescue a 250 thats had a rough life...

Hey ya'll. I'm not a new biker by any stretch, but I do have some kawasaki love. I've had concours' for the last 14 years, and in 2015 I picked up a goldwing to haul my time out camper. I'm not a mechanic, but I can read electrical schematics and I can troubleshoot generally...but I am not above asking for help. Which is why I'm here.

Anyhow, I grabbed this 06 250F from a kid that had gone down on it. Prior to that, it had also had a rough life. Fairing was busted, right muffer is tore up, doesnt run, missing a mirror, missing turn signals, just everything you can imagine. He wanted 650...I brought 500...but after seeing it, I offered him a hundred bucks to haul it away for him. If I can get it running, great, if not, I can sell a few of the components and get my hundo back.

So, as I said, it wasnt running. That was known, but what was really strange is that while he was showing it to me, it was cranking just fine. I get it home, no crank. I went through the fuse box, and checked the main fuse. There were a few that were out, but they were just 10A an I replaced them accordingly. I shorted the clutch switch, no crank. I could tell that someone has deleted the kickstand switch, but it took me quite some time to figure out what had happened to the harness. Anyhow, found it and it was a shoddy job, of course. I clipped down the excess wire [that would have gone to the switch] and put a nice insulated butt end on it. Much cleaner and tucked away. So, it's not that circlight isuit either. The neutral on, and it rolls freely, so I dont believe that to be a factor. I do need to open up the grip and clean the switch contacts. I feel like I would be getting SOMETHING even if they were corroded, especially since I saw him crank it mere hours ago. I did jump the solenoid, and it ran on starter fluid.

So that's my electrical issue, any direction of next steps would be great.

Next is fuel. I did try an alternate fuel source while the tank was off, with known good fuel w/ 2 stroke oil in it. I think with it having gone down, the left side float might be stuck. Also, being a concours owner, I am very fluent in hydrolock issues.....do these carbs have the same problems? It started, ish, on the fuel, but it was pouring out of the left side muffler...so that's why I am thinking stuck float. Once I get the electrical squared away and I can crank w/ the start button, I'll pull the carb and have the local shop do a rebuild on it.

Like I said, any direction or next steps would be great. I think I'll do a cafe style thing with it. The tank has some bondo on, so I'll likely sand it all down, do flat black or bed liner....do a 7" round headlight, and bar end mirrors...the usual stuff that people do to these bikes when the fairings are trashed.
DerickE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2021, 04:16 PM   #2
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): 250

If you had to jump the solenoid perhaps that is bad or its fuse blown.
Definately you eed to rebuild the carbs

Old July 15th, 2021, 01:02 PM   #3
DerickE
ninjette.org newbie

Ah the KISS method. New solenoid didn't do it. But it was 8 bucks with free shipping and the old one was pretty crusty so no regrets. Still no crank. Wth? So I started testing voltages at the switch and yup, no voltage from the starter button. Decrusted that and off to the races we go. Sounds OK and I've got a carb kit en route so looks like we have a viable motorcycle.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 15th, 2021, 01:09 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Watch out for the jets in the carb kit. If they're not genuine Keihin parts of the same size numbers, they're likely to cause more problems than they cure.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 15th, 2021, 01:27 PM   #5
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Congrats...

Old July 15th, 2021, 01:43 PM   #6
DerickE
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Watch out for the jets in the carb kit. If they're not genuine Keihin parts of the same size numbers, they're likely to cause more problems than they cure.

Hmm good to know. I bought the allballs branded kit....I didnt buy a cheap chinese one. But, is there a kit in particular you recommend? I didnt see anything on amazon branded as Keihin, or official kawi.

Old July 15th, 2021, 01:46 PM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
^ What he said!

Don't change out the oem jets for ones in the kit unless there are major problems, even then I'd probably order oem jets. Resist any urge to go bigger on the jets - it's not necessary and will also cause problems.

Clean everything extremely well, and check all passages.

This section has some info that may help get it right the first time -

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do...n_the_carbs%3F
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2021, 01:47 PM   #8
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

I usually get me spare jets at jetsrus.com.

Old July 15th, 2021, 02:03 PM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerickE View Post
Hmm good to know. I bought the allballs branded kit....I didnt buy a cheap chinese one. But, is there a kit in particular you recommend? I didnt see anything on amazon branded as Keihin, or official kawi.
I've never seen any carb kit for any motorcycle that has the correct jets. Usually there's no reason to change a jet. Just clean them all well. If you need to replace one, a dealer that sells genuine jets is the guy to go to. John Lutz (Mid Atlantic Cycle) is a Sudco dealer, and gets me jets when I need them.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 15th, 2021, 02:04 PM   #10
DerickE
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
I've never seen any carb kit for any motorcycle that has the correct jets. Usually there's no reason to change a jet. Just clean them all well. If you need to replace one, a dealer that sells genuine jets is the guy to go to. John Lutz (Mid Atlantic Cycle) is a Sudco dealer, and gets me jets when I need them.
Yeah I was really just getting it for the orings/seals...it has jets and needles...but being hard parts, I dont really figure I'd NEED them.

Old July 15th, 2021, 03:57 PM   #11
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

New jets are for tuning.