ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old August 21st, 2016, 12:45 PM   #1
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Skipping track day

Not really sure this post will add much value, but I figured maybe some closure on my year of going to the track would be appropriate.

So along with my sessions with California Superbike, I got a season pass to a track organization ( https://optimum-performance.org/ ). I was working on my skills and mostly enjoying myself through most of the year, with particular highlights on going with some awesome people for the July 18th session.

You might notice there was no post about the August 8th session and that today (August 21st) is supposed to be the last session of the year. Well, the reason for that is largely that there's nothing to report.

On August 7th I was finding that my feelings about going to the track again were actually closer to dread than anything else; but I loaded up anyway and struck out on the morning of the 8th for the track. After riding for two sessions I found I really just wasn't enjoying myself at all, plus mentally I wasn't in the right headspace -- bad for both safety and making plans and practicing skills, so I packed up and went home before lunch.

For the 21st I found I, again, just wasn't really looking forward to it and so I never even finished packing and when my alarm went off this morning I did the mental calculus of how likely a repeat of the 8th was going to be and decided to just skip the day altogether. Not the most exciting end to a season but it is what it is. So that's the very anti-climatic end to my first year of going to the track.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old August 21st, 2016, 12:56 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Do you think you got tired of the track this season, but will want to go in the future, or do you think you have tired of track riding in general and want to move on to other things?

I'm curious because I've been on the supermoto track at VIR a few times and plan to go back, and I'm also toying with getting a second 250 just for track days at the big course. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm willing to take the risks required to seriously ride on a large track, especially since somehow I found myself 58 years old.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2016, 01:00 PM   #3
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I try my best not to ride on days I feel sketchy; gota Trust your gut

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old August 21st, 2016, 01:10 PM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Very good thread. I find that I am trying to push myself to complete another type of endeavor but with not much luck. When I was training it was fun and I looked forward to going back again and again. Now that it's time to take the next step the thrill is gone and now it's more like work.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2016, 01:43 PM   #5
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I think most people will understand how important rider mindset is to how well we ride, so yeah, if you're not feeling it, stay home until you're feeling better about going.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 21st, 2016, 01:52 PM   #6
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Was it because it started seeming like a chore to go or was it because it stopped being fun?

When I use to go it was always fun because we would ride with lots of friends like a group ride out on the back roads.

Old August 21st, 2016, 01:57 PM   #7
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
I think a few things contributed.

- Zero v Saturn. Saturn (my 300) has a brand new engine and I was advised not to track her until breakin is complete (and the mechanics that did the swap are track-heads). This means I'm on the BMW. While I've never gotten in trouble as it were on Zero, it's still a much bigger bike and I'm still tiny. Once I'm more used to it I'm sure it will be better but for now it's slightly intimidating.

- Friends vs Alone. After having a series of sessions with Newb and Momaru I found that the idea of going by myself was a bit of a downer. I'm an introvert but having "support" there would have been welcome.

- Small amount of burn out. I've gone to the track a LOT this year, and I've never been except for CSS previously.

- Frustrations with gear. I'm still trying to shed a few pounds I gained but I also discovered that my interpretation from back when I first started riding of how to size gear was not what was intended. My proportions also don't help (my ratios do not fit any brand's). Since I still haven't received my custom suit yet I'm in a bit of a bind here.

- Non-bike-related stress. I've had a lot of high-stress stuff going on that's contributed to some bad bouts of depression and otherwise distraction going on.

Old August 21st, 2016, 02:06 PM   #8
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Sounds like a break is what's needed.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2016, 02:06 PM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Thanks for the extra details. I have a feeling you haven't given up, you're just taking a little break.

Old August 21st, 2016, 02:26 PM   #10
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I feel you. No shame in taking some time off. I'm in the same boat, it's why the ninja hasn't gone on the roads this season, I just haven't been feeling it.

Good job knowing the warning signs and knowing your own limits. That's just as important of a life skill as any.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2016, 03:40 AM   #11
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I ride regardless of how I feel, unless I'm not capable of it.

Old August 22nd, 2016, 07:14 AM   #12
hfd1 tuner
ninjette.org member

Name: charles

Motorcycle(s): many mostly racebikes cbr565 fzr490 ex250ish

Riding on the track is a huge mental game as it relates to speed. The bike just does what the rider tells it to do so if your head is not into it best to not ride til you feel the burn to do it. This weekend at Tally I was feeling it but the lap times were not still have the burn to ride even with the younger guys at 49 years old. The fun is the same as it was 20 years ago.
hfd1 tuner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2016, 09:10 AM   #13
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

As long as you enjoyed the season, that's all the matters.

I have definitely packed it in early when I haven't been feeling it. There's no point to push if it isn't fun.

And most people here can relate to the "more fun with more people" aspect of trackdays. I try to meet people whenever possible, and it's nice to just run into folks and hang out with them at a trackday.

A season with the bike intact is a good season. There's always next year.

I know a guy who always brings beer just for this exact reason. Once he isn't feeling it anymore, he opens a beer and sits down. It finalizes the decision for him, so he doesn't flip-flop and end up doing something stupid.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2016, 10:26 AM   #14
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanikrazy View Post
I know a guy who always brings beer just for this exact reason. Once he isn't feeling it anymore, he opens a beer and sits down. It finalizes the decision for him, so he doesn't flip-flop and end up doing something stupid.
That seems reasonable.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2016, 10:30 AM   #15
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Some sessions for me are frustrating and not fun. But every once in a while I have a session where everything comes together perfectly and I see myself improve. That's when I come into the paddock smiling.

Old August 22nd, 2016, 10:39 AM   #16
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanikrazy View Post
A season with the bike intact is a good season.
T-shirt.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2016, 12:27 PM   #17
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I'll be the contrarian here but I love the last 2 sessions of the day. Especially the last, just slow it down a bit, so much open track. But those of you who do 2 days back to back I could see the need of not doing any session, and I agree for all if you aren't feeling it don't do it.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2016, 02:26 PM   #18
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
I'll be the contrarian here but I love the last 2 sessions of the day. Especially the last, just slow it down a bit, so much open track. But those of you who do 2 days back to back I could see the need of not doing any session, and I agree for all if you aren't feeling it don't do it.
Totally agree but it's good to know when to say when. Second-to-last session on Sunday I found my mind wandering and I wasn't thinking far enough ahead. I also wasn't getting as far off the bike, and not being as sharp and aggressive with my inputs. I was starting to phone it in.

Cut that one a lap short and decided to hang it. I was pretty spent from a big day Saturday and today I'm really wiped out physically.

Damn desk job. Ugh.

Self-awareness is really important. Thinking of tweaking my two-day strategy next year... on day 2 take a long lunch, sit in the air-conditioned classroom for awhile, maybe even take a quick nap, and stick around to cash in on that open track while all the heroes are packing up.

Old August 22nd, 2016, 03:13 PM   #19
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
I've skipped the last session occasionally because I was too physically tired. But I know that if I want to learn and be "tough", skipping a session won't earn me much. If I really feel like I need to, I will. But I want to race in the future, and there won't be room for "I'm tired" or "I'm lazy" haha

Old August 22nd, 2016, 03:16 PM   #20
adouglas
Cat herder

I respect that.

But as a guy who started riding motorcycles long before you were a gleam in your daddy's eye, I can tell ya...

... the spirit may be willing, but the body won't be up to the task forever.

Old August 22nd, 2016, 03:19 PM   #21
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I respect that.

But as a guy who started riding motorcycles long before you were a gleam in your daddy's eye, I can tell ya...

... the spirit may be willing, but the body won't be up to the task forever.

I feel you there. I'm twenty and my legs feel like jello after a day of good riding. Moving my 155 lb @$$ around get's tiresome. I need to start exercising again.

Old August 22nd, 2016, 04:54 PM   #22
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I feel you there. I'm twenty and my legs feel like jello after a day of good riding. Moving my 155 lb @$$ around get's tiresome. I need to start exercising again.
Ha, I ride a bicycle 20 miles a day, but after two consecutive good Dragon runs this spring, I got of the bike and almost couldn't hold myself up.

Old August 22nd, 2016, 07:25 PM   #23
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Totally agree but it's good to know when to say when. Second-to-last session on Sunday I found my mind wandering and I wasn't thinking far enough ahead. I also wasn't getting as far off the bike, and not being as sharp and aggressive with my inputs. I was starting to phone it in.

Cut that one a lap short and decided to hang it. I was pretty spent from a big day Saturday and today I'm really wiped out physically.

Damn desk job. Ugh.

Self-awareness is really important. Thinking of tweaking my two-day strategy next year... on day 2 take a long lunch, sit in the air-conditioned classroom for awhile, maybe even take a quick nap, and stick around to cash in on that open track while all the heroes are packing up.
Thighs felt like I was skiing all day and chest and abs feel like I was doing weight training. But it's all good pain lol.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2016, 05:43 AM   #24
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Ha, I ride a bicycle 20 miles a day, but after two consecutive good Dragon runs this spring, I got of the bike and almost couldn't hold myself up.
The problem is how differently the leg muscle groups are used between those two activities. I ride bicycles quite a bit, and while my legs/core/arms aren't ever jello coming off a track session, my quads and the insides of my thigh feel abused. Bicycles are all in plane, motorcycle is lots of clamping.

No joke, motorcyclists need to do core workouts and use those workout machines at the gym that require you to clamp your knees shut with resistance. That's the motion you use to go knee to knee without involving your arms.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #25
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Ok @Yakaru; your self imposed exile has gone on long enough! You're a good poster and its time for an update or further discussion! Wassup? Did the new suit arrive and as per order? No track days but surely there are some PNW rides on the street (Mt St Hellen's?) that in this gorgeous weather can cut through whatever funk is ... well ... funking you!?!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2016, 01:38 PM   #26
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
- Small amount of burn out. I've gone to the track a LOT this year, and I've never been except for CSS previously.
I don't mean to pry into personal space or anything, but what do YOU consider A LOT?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2016, 07:53 AM   #27
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Haha, wasn't really an exile but:

Suit -- I'm getting a bit frustrated on this one actually. Last communication from them was over a month ago and my e-mails seem to have been eaten by a grue. I've drafted my assistant into harassing them for me today.

Other rides -- I've been really wanting to go for a ride with Sakura, but she's been way too busy or our schedules haven't aligned. I will be preping S's bike this weekend though -- in two weeks she has her first track day. I'm doing my best not to over-instruct her.

Track days this year -- It's been at least 15; but I didn't keep a formal count.

Old September 21st, 2016, 04:56 AM   #28
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I don't mean to pry into personal space or anything, but what do YOU consider A LOT?
Chris, Not really fair for you to ask this question of anyone--even Marques!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2016, 07:46 AM   #29
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Not really sure this post will add much value, but I figured maybe some closure on my year of going to the track would be appropriate.

So along with my sessions with California Superbike, I got a season pass to a track organization ( https://optimum-performance.org/ ). I was working on my skills and mostly enjoying myself through most of the year, with particular highlights on going with some awesome people for the July 18th session.

You might notice there was no post about the August 8th session and that today (August 21st) is supposed to be the last session of the year. Well, the reason for that is largely that there's nothing to report.

On August 7th I was finding that my feelings about going to the track again were actually closer to dread than anything else; but I loaded up anyway and struck out on the morning of the 8th for the track. After riding for two sessions I found I really just wasn't enjoying myself at all, plus mentally I wasn't in the right headspace -- bad for both safety and making plans and practicing skills, so I packed up and went home before lunch.

For the 21st I found I, again, just wasn't really looking forward to it and so I never even finished packing and when my alarm went off this morning I did the mental calculus of how likely a repeat of the 8th was going to be and decided to just skip the day altogether. Not the most exciting end to a season but it is what it is. So that's the very anti-climatic end to my first year of going to the track.
Riding should be about YOU having fun and being safe. There is no point in riding if you are not into it, if you are tired or not in the right head space. I think it's great that you decided not to go because your head wasn't in the right place. The point of track riding is to have fun and enjoy it!

I was recently at Sachsenring Germany for two track days on the S1000. I rode 6 sessions the first day and on the second morning I was exhausted and because they moved me into the A group we were to start at 8:40 am. I wasn't quite ready and I didn't want to rush so I skipped the first session and didn't mind one bit. Later on in the day I got my personal best time by a long shot and had a wicked session so I decided to call it a day and end on a super high note. I was physically exhausted and happy. All good reason's to stop for the day.

I think a lot of crashes happen when people go out and ride because they think they should or have to or that they paid $$ for it but you should always listen to your intuition.

Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2016, 09:50 AM   #30
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Riding should be about YOU having fun and being safe. There is no point in riding if you are not into it, if you are tired or not in the right head space. I think it's great that you decided not to go because your head wasn't in the right place. The point of track riding is to have fun and enjoy it!

I was recently at Sachsenring Germany for two track days on the S1000. I rode 6 sessions the first day and on the second morning I was exhausted and because they moved me into the A group we were to start at 8:40 am. I wasn't quite ready and I didn't want to rush so I skipped the first session and didn't mind one bit. Later on in the day I got my personal best time by a long shot and had a wicked session so I decided to call it a day and end on a super high note. I was physically exhausted and happy. All good reason's to stop for the day.

I think a lot of crashes happen when people go out and ride because they think they should or have to or that they paid $$ for it but you should always listen to your intuition.

Thanks Misti, this makes me feel a lot better. I actually got my butt back to the track yesterday for one last go for the year. It was supposed to be my partner's intro to the track, but she had a crippling headache and was seeing auras and thus didn't ride; but it was wonderful to have company instead of being alone (even if I was playing nurse between sessions). Sadly because of the distractions I was really just riding around and while I had a few focus points I never had an active plan from session to session to evaluate how I was doing. Oh well, next year!

Old September 28th, 2016, 08:30 PM   #31
ttd
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): CBR600rr

Nothing wrong with taking a break... whether it's a session, a month, a season, or forever.

In 2002, I had been racing for 8 years and finally achieved my goal of winning a local Championship.

For 2003, I started on Pole position for the first race of the year... the race started normally but I as I went into Turn 1, I realized that something was not right in my head.

I finished the race, pulled into the pits, handed my helmet to my wife and told her I was done... and never raced again.

I was not able to give up track riding though and have been doing roughly 18 days per year ever since.

I didn't want the competitive side anymore, but I find now that I enjoy the technical side of riding. Learning how and why a bike responds and acts the way it does.

I am definitely a more competent rider now than when I was racing... and each year I try to add another tool to my riding toolbox.
ttd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2016, 01:49 PM   #32
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Thanks Misti, this makes me feel a lot better. I actually got my butt back to the track yesterday for one last go for the year. It was supposed to be my partner's intro to the track, but she had a crippling headache and was seeing auras and thus didn't ride; but it was wonderful to have company instead of being alone (even if I was playing nurse between sessions). Sadly because of the distractions I was really just riding around and while I had a few focus points I never had an active plan from session to session to evaluate how I was doing. Oh well, next year!

Of course! Always listen to your intuition and take a break when needed!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2016, 10:35 PM   #33
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

You definitely need some time off. It's all about having a clear mind before going to the track. You probably need to enjoy other stuff in life, like spending time with family and friends.

I was kind of in the same boat. Not only that I can't cut the weight on time to fit my Race suit, but life just wears me out. I wanted to get into AFM racing after college, but reality kicked in. Right out of school, I got a job in accounting full-time and commuted 3hrs round trip a day. 3 months down the line, I take the Ninja & Porsche to Laguna Seca with the help of a good friend, but that's it. Stress, depression, and distractions all factored in.

Fast forward to the present, I took another offer I couldn't refuse, but now I'm commuting about 3.5hours a day. At this point in my life, it's not even feasible to do any track day. Maybe in 2 years my situation might change. Gotta take care of them priorities first.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2016, 12:19 PM   #34
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Lemme offer a different perspective... I feel this sometimes too as we do a lot of days in the season.

"When we feel we are not reaching our goals, we often not need to change the goal, but instead change the path to reach it." - me

To put it bluntly and for example; I will go to the track and NOT ride, but instead support others. For in turn, they will support me later as a return favor. I know the track doesn't have yellow lines and go both ways... but people do, don't forget that...

EDIT and /ps: For those who look for it, here is just as much to learn in the paddock as there is on track
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote