ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old July 8th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #1
izmail1215
ninjette.org member

Name: SaM

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250r, 2009 650r

so do you workout?

I just started to work out,... again! I was pretty ripped but I cancled my gym membership took a vacation and... got fAt not relly just a belly lol I started again, what gym do you go to and how much do you pay?

I go to Life Time fitness which is $68.00 a month ( i dont have to pay ) still under my dads name. I need to work out my forearms to get better control.
izmail1215 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #2
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250 (sold); 2008 Plasma Blue Ninja 250

I don't go to the gym but I've used Power 90 and just recently starting P90x. Their commercials actually aren't bullshit, its a tough workout but works well
drowe531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #3
izmail1215
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe531 View Post
I don't go to the gym but I've used Power 90 and just recently starting P90x. Their commercials actually aren't bullshit, its a tough workout but works well
Yep I heard P90x was the suff maby i need to get it because i dont do tredmills all my cardio is on bike(cycle) lol

Last futzed with by izmail1215; July 8th, 2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: missed a word lol

Old July 8th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #4
adri99an
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

I've been working out for a year now....weight training really....This last month- I've lost 13 pounds since listening to my wife about how carbs are BAD!! I have a 24 Hour Fitness membership- I paid 300 bux for 2 years at our local Costco. I try working out 3-4 days a week--usually chest/back then biceps/triceps and shoulders/stomach. I throw legs in there once in awhile. If you want to put on muscle- you gotta keep your protein intake level to what you weigh. For example, if you weigh 180 lbs- you need at least 180 grams of protein to gain muscle mass and keep it on. A year ago I benched 165 lbs- now I'm benching 220 lbs.
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #5
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Sounds difficult. You must have a trainer?
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #6
Werehusky
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): Ninjette(sold), 2011 ZX-10r

Oh yeah I love power-building.. My favorite gym so far is 24 hour fitness because it's open 24 hours and it attracts more of the underground hardcore lifters. I cant seem to workout at golds/metroplex because they(the members) are all so into jucing and the teenagers that consider themselves macronutrient/kinesiology PH.ds are too annoying :P

Atleast at my area thats what it seems to be, I cant speak for them all.
Werehusky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #7
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Yup

I strength train 2-3 times per week and do cardio almost daily...everything from mountain biking to hiking to running to street cycling.
I go to Bodyplex and pay $30 monthly. I had a personal trainer for about a year when I first started (3 years ago), and that really paved the way for a successful workout routine. My diet has gone to h#%$ lately, but I definitely work it off. :-) I can honestly say that strength training helps me be a better rider on my Lil' Ninj in the mountains. I use some major leg muscles in corners.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Gym membership at bally for $10/mo. Rarely use it. I'd use it more if I worked 5-8s. Right now I'm starting to ride my bicycle more. I'm training for next season. Hope to be in better shape to compete in a few cat5 races.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #9
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I work out 6 days a week (except while on vacation). Hour and a half in the gym and an hour and a half walk on the beach (which is across the street from the gym). I've been doing it for years. This way I can eat and drink anything I want.

$100 per year at Planet Fitness (for me and my two sons).

Old July 8th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #10
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

In the winter, I work out at the Y every other day. In the summer, I ride my bicycles 15 to 20 miles a day. That keeps me at a solid 190 lbs.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #11
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...&highlight=gym

a similar thread from earlier in the year. i am happy to field any fitness/nutrition ?'s and share my opinion/experience with p90x.
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #12
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
In the winter, I work out at the Y every other day. In the summer, I ride my bicycles 15 to 20 miles a day. That keeps me at a solid 190 lbs.
I'm 5'11" and I weigh in at 180. I'm trying to get to 160 or so. Should be fun losing 20. LOL

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #13
Perf_White_Gt
ninjette.org member

Name: Christopher

Motorcycle(s): Trek Alpha 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by want1sobad View Post
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...&highlight=gym

a similar thread from earlier in the year. i am happy to field any fitness/nutrition ?'s and share my opinion/experience with p90x.

The only thing i am curious about p90x is I like to swim run and bike, but sadly because of my activities i do not gain much muscle... will p90x accomplish that and would my cardio go to crap?

also, I took a look through their meal book, and alot of that shiz looks like it could cost a nice amount. I am on a college budget so any advice there, I usually just have chicken/rice/veggie, or tuna and a side salad.. i am not really one that likes to workout and then cook..
Perf_White_Gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #14
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

chris,

review that thread and you will find some good info that pretty much addresses your question. here's the thing, it is very difficult to achieve multiple goals at once when it comes changing your body. if you're naturally slim and want to put on muscle, you will need to back off on your cardio, hit the weights hard, and EAT, EAT, EAT. unless you eat garbage, (fast food and processed crap), you don't have to worry about getting fat. sounds like you eat pretty healthy from the example you gave.

what's your height/weight? what have your experiences working out been like in the past? what are your body's natural tendencies (slim, muscular, or soft/pudgy).

p90x is an awesome, well-balanced program, that addresses everything. i recc. you give up your current routine of swimming and biking for just 90 days and follow the program AS IT IS OUTLINED. when you've completed it, see how your body has changed and go from there.

my personal experience was this. i had not worked out consistently and had been drinking on the weekends way too much after my wife bailed on me. i got fed up and ordered p90x. at the start i was 5' 10"/197lbs and about 18% body fat. by the end of 90 days (sooner actually) i was 185 and 13-14%, with no loss in muscle and a dramatic change from no definition to defined.

the cardio component of p90x got me back in shape to where i began running and cycling as well. i found that i really enjoy these two activities, so now i lift weights 3x/wk using the p90x routines, and run/cycle/kickbox on my off days for cardio.

been doing this since 09/08 and today i am 182 and 11-12% body fat. at 31 i am in the best shape of my life.

let me know if you have any questions.

Old July 12th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #15
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Thats good to hear Vince. Right now I'm around 6 195-200ish. Being 23 I do enjoy drinking but not nearly as much as I did in college. I'm trying to improve my eating habbits. I'll be starting p90x most likely august 1st as I have some summer classes right now.

Old July 12th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #16
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Yea I workout every now and then...between lunches with celebrities and consultations with supermodels.

I'm 'recomping' right now as my waistline has gotten a bit out of control. No more Baconators for me for a while .
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #17
kyl18b
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja EX250-F

I used to weight train, but got sick of it when I was in the military. Now I just train in and teach MMA, it's a hell of a workout, but not as mundane because I'm getting some great conditioning while I'm doing something I enjoy as well. I used to pay 60/month to train, but now that I'm an instructor as well, I pay nothing.
kyl18b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #18
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe531 View Post
Thats good to hear Vince. Right now I'm around 6 195-200ish. Being 23 I do enjoy drinking but not nearly as much as I did in college. I'm trying to improve my eating habbits. I'll be starting p90x most likely august 1st as I have some summer classes right now.
right on, let me know if you have any questions.

Old July 12th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #19
izmail1215
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Yea I workout every now and then...between lunches with celebrities and consultations with supermodels.

I'm 'recomping' right now as my waistline has gotten a bit out of control. No more Baconators for me for a while .
Same with me, I gotta "flab" I gotta loose but them biceps looking sexy!

Old July 12th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #20
izmail1215
ninjette.org member

I am 5,9 160LBS good amount of muscle hard abs but flabs covering them I need to loose this by 3 weeks so I can take my shirt of a the water park lol

Old July 12th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #21
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmail1215 View Post
I am 5,9 160LBS good amount of muscle hard abs but flabs covering them I need to loose this by 3 weeks so I can take my shirt of a the water park lol
Good for setting goals.

BUt I have a bit of a gut and don't care what people think or the fact my pastey white skin is blinding them

Old July 12th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #22
Postiez
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Red '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
I've been working out for a year now....weight training really....This last month- I've lost 13 pounds since listening to my wife about how carbs are BAD!! I have a 24 Hour Fitness membership- I paid 300 bux for 2 years at our local Costco. I try working out 3-4 days a week--usually chest/back then biceps/triceps and shoulders/stomach. I throw legs in there once in awhile. If you want to put on muscle- you gotta keep your protein intake level to what you weigh. For example, if you weigh 180 lbs- you need at least 180 grams of protein to gain muscle mass and keep it on. A year ago I benched 165 lbs- now I'm benching 220 lbs.
Not to be a dick but reading this made me facepalm. I know you probably wont because everyone thinks they know everything about nutrition but you should think about talking to a nutritionist. Carbs are definitely not bad as it just all works on energy balance. You need to expend more calories than you take in to lose weight so the source of the calories doesn't matter in that sense. The only way you are going to change calorie burn based on intake is vastly limiting your carbs to the point your body enters ketosis. What ketosis does is after a period of starving the brain of what it normally runs on(carbohydrate energy or glucose) it switches to burning fat fearing running out of glucose completely. Low carb diets are bad not only because its potentially dangerous but also because the weight seems to pack right back on when you eventually start to eat normally again.

As far as protein intake the formula actually revolves around your weight in kg instead of lbs. The average adult should take in .8 grams per kg body weight which scales up to about 1.2 grams per kg for athletes. So for a 180lb athlete 100 grams of protein is plenty, 180 is kinda overboard.

But like I said before talk to a nutritionist, I am no expert.
Postiez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #23
Flashmonkey

Carbs are indeed somewhat required. If your body was a building and protein was the bricks, then carbs are the workers. The over-paid, unionized, wise-cracking workers.

Fat loss diets usually revolve around carb reduction because fat and protein are required by the body for other key functions....like hormone regulation and muscle building and what have you. That and people just eat too many damn carbs and don't do s**t-all in terms of activity, which is the real problem IMO.

Anyway...look up carb cycling. That's what the pros do! (literally)

Oh and some nutritionists have their heads up their butts as well...so find a GOOD one haha.

Old July 13th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #24
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

nutrion isn't as complicated as most people make it out to be, 40/40/20 is a good ratio to shoot for if you're looking to build/maintain lean muscle and still have the energy to do things like run, bike, or swim (40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat). eliminating any one of these is not only unhealthy in the long run, but also very hard to stick to for any period of time - this is why people experience the yo-yo effect.

Old July 13th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #25
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
nutrion isn't as complicated as most people make it out to be, 40/40/20 is a good ratio to shoot for if you're looking to build/maintain lean muscle and still have the energy to do things like run, bike, or swim (40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat). eliminating any one of these is not only unhealthy in the long run, but also very hard to stick to for any period of time - this is why people experience the yo-yo effect.
I had to quote your whole post b/c it's all exactly right! People these days live on fast food, soft drinks, and sweets and sit in front of the tube all night. No wonder our country is growing more and more obese! Eat sensibly and stay active. That's the healthy way to maintain a good weight.
Strength training is also important, in my opinion, and can be as easy as having a few dumbbells to toss around at home or as intense as a personal trainer at a gym! When you build muscle, you burn more calories the times you are just sitting around than an average person with average muscles. Muscle = fat burn.
Another trick to losing fat is doing your cardio in the morning before you eat breakfast. You have fewer cals in your body first thing in the morning than any other time of the day, so when you do cardio at that time, you are burning fat rather than simply burning calories. :-)

Old July 13th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #26
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmail1215 View Post
I just started to work out,... again! I was pretty ripped but I cancled my gym membership took a vacation and... got fAt not relly just a belly lol I started again, what gym do you go to and how much do you pay?

I go to Life Time fitness which is $68.00 a month ( i dont have to pay ) still under my dads name. I need to work out my forearms to get better control.
yup, i work out.... i go to the YMCA and pay 68 bucks a month, but its a family plan.
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #27
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
This would be a great thread to post some muscle pics! :-)

Old July 13th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #28
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
I completely agree with Ally....

Shirts off flex and take a pic!

Let the show begin!

Old July 13th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #29
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

careful what you wish for ladies........

takes a brave man to post a muscle pic - i foresee the other fellas on the forum flaming like a mutha!

Old July 13th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #30
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
careful what you wish for ladies........

takes a brave man to post a muscle pic - i foresee the other fellas on the forum flaming like a mutha!

Oh come on! You want the ladies to start off? hehe!

Surely there are some "brave men" among a group of sportbikers!

Old July 13th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #31
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
OK, I'll go first.

ugly_fat_man_picture-_funfry1.jpg

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #32
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Your missing a belly button alex

Old July 13th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #33
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
OK, I'll go first.

Attachment 8119

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG, that's priceless Alex! Boy, laughter is an instant vacation. hehe!

Old July 13th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #34
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
OK, I'll go first.

Attachment 8119

OMG men CAN get pregnant!!! lol

Old July 13th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #35
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

oh what the hell........bring on the flamers.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p_00001.jpg (59.9 KB, 10 views)

Old July 13th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #36
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
There's one.

(sorry, too easy. You're a brave man, Vince!)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #37
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:

A man of mettle. NICE! :-) Great pecs!

Old July 13th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #38
Blackwidow

Quote:

not bad, not bad at allll...

kudos to you for doing it!

Old July 13th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #39
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I used to keep in shape by working at my night/weekend job. Since i have been transfered and do almost nothing physical i have lost quite a bit of muscle. I purchased the PX90 almost 2 years ago but do not have the room at home to workout. I have started cycling again though. Really need to start strength training again just lack time and motivation.

Old July 13th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #40
Flashmonkey