ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old August 11th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Pre-Gen Tire Hugger

Question for all you pre-gen owners:

If a Tire Hugger were available for our pre-gen bikes would you buy one?

Personaly I would buy one. I have chopped my fender and I think it would add to the look while keeping some of the rain and road grim from being kicked up.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Question for all you pre-gen owners:

If a Tire Hugger were available for our pre-gen bikes would you buy one?

Personaly I would buy one. I have chopped my fender and I think it would add to the look while keeping some of the rain and road grim from being kicked up.
I'd buy a pregen just to stick it on!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #3
hubcapbandit
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250 (Yellow!)

You bet I would
hubcapbandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #4
Snake

Sorry but there does not seem to be enough interest on this forum to try and convince someone to produce them for me. I had hoped I would have got more replies of people showing interest.

Old August 14th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

A swingarm cover/tire hugger is all the Ducati 999 Ninja 250 really needs!

Old August 15th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #6
Snake

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
A swingarm cover/tire hugger is all the Ducati 999 Ninja 250 really needs!
???

Old August 15th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
???
duc250.jpg
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22424
http://www.davisracingteam.com/ducati999ninja250

Old September 14th, 2010, 04:26 AM   #8
bamaland
ninjette.org member

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): 93 kawi gpz500

snake, you know i'd get one!

if there's still not enough ppl maybe i can ask my local machine shop friend to maybe come up with something affordable to everyone?
bamaland is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #9
Snake

Chris, that would be great, thanks. Most are made out of plastic or fiberglass but if he could make something lightweight that would do the trick.

Old September 14th, 2010, 05:01 AM   #10
bamaland
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Chris, that would be great, thanks. Most are made out of plastic or fiberglass but if he could make something lightweight that would do the trick.
yea i was thinking maybe some thicker aluminum? hell if i had a roller machine i'd make em my damn self! actually.. think i just figured out how to make my own...

will give an update later today if possible

Old September 14th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #11
Snake

I can't waait to see how it comes out.

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #12
Raybot
ninjette.org member

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 1995 ninja 250

I would get one! I think that would look awesome!
Raybot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #13
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaland View Post
snake, you know i'd get one!

if there's still not enough ppl maybe i can ask my local machine shop friend to maybe come up with something affordable to everyone?
yo i'd be interested if it lookd good and price was right...AND shipping cant be more than the product

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #14
darrell85
darrell85

Name: darrell

Motorcycle(s): 2001 250 ninja

definately interested, I've wanted one ever since I chopped the rear fender. Let me know if you all figure something out.
darrell85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #15
sudapuff
ninjette.org member

Name: jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ex250

I'd buy one
sudapuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:38 PM   #16
bamaland
ninjette.org member

will keep ya'll informed. soon as im done rebuilding the 500 ill start the fab work again and hopefully come out with something cool!

if ya'll would like to give any suggestions on the shape of the hugger feel free to post something up

also would ya'll like to have a chain guard built in also? i think that would be pretty neat

Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:16 PM   #17
Snake

Yes, definetly have the chain guard built in.

Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:32 PM   #18
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

Nice.. I'd consider buying one too
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:45 AM   #19
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
will keep ya'll informed. soon as im done rebuilding the 500 ill start the fab work again and hopefully come out with something cool!

if ya'll would like to give any suggestions on the shape of the hugger feel free to post something up

also would ya'll like to have a chain guard built in also? i think that would be pretty neat
I saw a pretty cool reshaping of the front fender that I think goes well with a hugger...

Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:21 AM   #20
bamaland
ninjette.org member

i was thinking the below style would be the cheapest production way to make these. in 2-piece sections (hugger and chain guard) which will be bolts together during assembly.

now im sure i would be able to offer it as a hole piece (fiber glassed together) but it will be a higher cost of course.

this style offers being able to be mounted on the left side by using just the chain guard's stock mounting holes.(how other side is mounted is unknown) the center is mounted to front part of the swing arm (via 1-2 holes)

as for price right now it is still undetermined. heck i wouldn't really know what to charge. i see other huggers going for anywhere from $90-$150

i'm hoping to be able to keep cost down as much as possible!

i do need a head count on 100% buyers. the most there are the quicker i can get started. the bike will be finished by wednesday next week(9/29/10)

also like i said, i can only offer 2 material types right now. aluminum or fiber glass (fiber glass being more expensive)

so please give me some numbers on buyers and what you would ideally like to pay for one.

all parts will also be available in 3 make ready styles. fresh fab with no paint/primer, fully primed, fully polished

Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:02 PM   #21
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
i was thinking the below style would be the cheapest production way to make these. in 2-piece sections (hugger and chain guard) which will be bolts together during assembly.

now im sure i would be able to offer it as a hole piece (fiber glassed together) but it will be a higher cost of course.

this style offers being able to be mounted on the left side by using just the chain guard's stock mounting holes.(how other side is mounted is unknown) the center is mounted to front part of the swing arm (via 1-2 holes)

as for price right now it is still undetermined. heck i wouldn't really know what to charge. i see other huggers going for anywhere from $90-$150

i'm hoping to be able to keep cost down as much as possible!

i do need a head count on 100% buyers. the most there are the quicker i can get started. the bike will be finished by wednesday next week(9/29/10)

also like i said, i can only offer 2 material types right now. aluminum or fiber glass (fiber glass being more expensive)

so please give me some numbers on buyers and what you would ideally like to pay for one.

all parts will also be available in 3 make ready styles. fresh fab with no paint/primer, fully primed, fully polished
Cheapest, yes, but I would still be dreaming of one that disguises the swingarm. Think about how ugly that Ducati 999 Ninjette's swingarm is compares to a real Ducati's beautiful, flowing single-sided swingarm.

With a few small enhancements, I think a pre-gen can look VERY modern.... just a false cowl-line seat cover from Becky at CustomSeatCreations.com, a double-bubble windscreen + reshaped headlight with body color (on the headlight and outer "bubble" of the windscreen), some sportier mirrors, DIY fender eliminator with flush and integrated signals (the tail is already set up for this; the stalky signals were a DOT reg change) and a hugger that also hides the swingarm. It would be BEAUTIFUL.

Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:13 PM   #22
bamaland
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Cheapest, yes, but I would still be dreaming of one that disguises the swingarm. Think about how ugly that Ducati 999 Ninjette's swingarm is compares to a real Ducati's beautiful, flowing single-sided swingarm.

With a few small enhancements, I think a pre-gen can look VERY modern.... just a false cowl-line seat cover from Becky at CustomSeatCreations.com, a double-bubble windscreen + reshaped headlight with body color (on the headlight and outer "bubble" of the windscreen), some sportier mirrors, DIY fender eliminator with flush and integrated signals (the tail is already set up for this; the stalky signals were a DOT reg change) and a hugger that also hides the swingarm. It would be BEAUTIFUL.
so you mean one like this?

i considered it a possibility on down the road when i get more experience with fiberglass work. I'm sure i could do it now if i took my time with it and had the spare $$ to do so.

Old September 24th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #23
sudapuff
ninjette.org member

Name: jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ex250

the most i would be willing to pay is $120 but it would have to be painted of some color for that price ( i think a glossy black would work with every bike).
sudapuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #24
bamaland
ninjette.org member

yes of course, like i was saying, i want to be able to keep the cost as low as possible because the difference in cost will come back to you no matter what, meaning if i was to sell them for say $80-90 i think i would sell maybe twice the amount compared to if they were say $100-120. so i'll still be able to make enough on my end in the long run. because believe me with the time i put in for this and then having to perfect it and possibly paint it for each order the cost of everything will just pile up but so long as i dont spend more time building then shipping them i should come out just fine.

my expected material cost is around $160 to make maybe 2-4 of them, won't know exactly until i can start..

im almost done with the painting on my bike then ill be off to start motor work so were looking at about a week or two before im able to even start doing some hands on work.

Old September 26th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #25
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
so you mean one like this?

i considered it a possibility on down the road when i get more experience with fiberglass work. I'm sure i could do it now if i took my time with it and had the spare $$ to do so.
That swingarm has extra bulk to it already, to which the hugger attaches. The current gen 250 has the same problem (blocky little swingarm), which Sportisi fixes by "faking" the style you show above:

There is a fake arch connecting the left and the right "arms."

Old September 26th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #26
bamaland
ninjette.org member

yea... im not to much of a fan of that lol. mine would lay directly on the swing arm not making it bulkier

Old September 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #27
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
yea... im not to much of a fan of that lol. mine would lay directly on the swing arm not making it bulkier
Well, the swingarm on the one you just posted has a bar that rises up and wraps around just like the fake on on the Sportisi with the only difference being that one is fake and has the area in between filled in. It doesn't have to be... there is a GSX-R styled one, also from Indonesia, that does it that way. It apes the GSX-R swingarm so well that it looks like it even fits the OEM Suzuki hugger piece, though I feel that it doesn't match the new-gen Ninjette very well (it may match the pregen better).

Edit:

That one is VERY similar to the one you suggested. You can see the copy on a J-series Ninjette and the original GSX-R hugger with the only difference I can see on the hugger piece being a mounting hole on the other side. The fake swingarm piece looks convincing and doesn't take too much of the angular look away or fill in the area, in case that was the visual aesthetic you didn't like about Sportisi's. It's the concept I'm trying to show, not the style of a particular design.

Old September 26th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #28
bamaland
ninjette.org member

it's similar yes but not 100% like i was thinking.
there wont be any 'fake' swingarm addition.

the 1piece design i was talking about would first be a molded hugger that will flare out for the chain and then sit flat on the swingarm itself.

so no dividing gaps just smooth n sleek.

ill try to mock something up with photoshop and play around with it see what i can come up with...
would use cad but dont really have a computer capable of handling that yet lol

the above style is to complicated for me, plus in the even in a crash all that bulky stuff would be trashed. mine will be out the way of certain dangers so you wont have to worry about all that bulkiness cracking and stuff

Old September 26th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #29
Snake

Chris, If you do not have a pre-gen in your area I can ride down for the fab & fit process.

Old September 26th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #30
bamaland
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Chris, If you do not have a pre-gen in your area I can ride down for the fab & fit process.
yea imma need you n your bikes help
imma fab it off the ex500 but gonna need fitment testing on the ex250

Old April 14th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #31
Hunsy34
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 2016 Ninja 300 1994 KTM 300 EXC

So is there any update on the tire hugger for the pre gen's?
Hunsy34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #32
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Updates would be nice. I would be interested as long as the price is right. Would it work with a 90 height tire?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #33
Snake

Sorry, I searched but could not find anyone that would manufacture one for the pregens.

Old April 14th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #34
fjyang
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 87 Ninja 250, 90 Ninja ZX750R, GPZ 900r, 02 Moto Guzzi LeMans, 95 Triumph Speed Triple

I would be interested too, hope to see pics
fjyang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #35
Hunsy34
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 2016 Ninja 300 1994 KTM 300 EXC

I wonder how bamaland is making out or if anything became of his project he was gonna start.
Hunsy34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #36
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Considering how little of it you'd see because of the tail, no way. The Old gen does not have the rear end shape that is well suited to a hugger IMO. But it would be interesting to see what he comes up with.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #37
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
Considering how little of it you'd see because of the tail, no way. The Old gen does not have the rear end shape that is well suited to a hugger IMO. But it would be interesting to see what he comes up with.
With a taller current-gen shock and turn signals moved into the pods with the fender taken off, there's plenty of room to see. Remove the passenger pegs and add a sport cowl or race tail or even a cowl-line seat cover and the tail end looks very up-to-date except for the dinky swingarm. A hugger with a swingarm cover would seal the deal.

Last futzed with by CZroe; April 22nd, 2011 at 08:51 PM.

Old October 5th, 2011, 06:52 AM   #38
CZroe
CPT Falcon

OK, back to this: I've read in other threads that you can use the entire rear suspension setup including the complete swingarm from the current-gen, so I imagine you can use huggers too. This excites me. Now I want that Duc999 EX250-F and a J-series swingarm and a J-series hugger.

Old October 5th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #39
Chim
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250

Bonus, that is all.
Chim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #40
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
while you're at it, do the front end as well. Might as well get the improved forks, cooler fender, and same diameter rim as the rear.

Now you'll be able to run a 140 rear tire as well. cool looking pre-gen. or you could really go for the big rear look and get the 4.5 inch rear wheel from sportisi in the same order that you get your hugger from. save on shipping.

but at that point, I bet that a pre-gen with basic upgrades like sticky tires, new-gen shock, and fork work would handle better in the twisty stuff
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote