ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 8th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #1
NorthKoast
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

head gasket?

im new to bikes, but i am wondering if any of you all can point me in the right direction. please do not roast me too bad ... i already know i probably made a huge rookie mistake.

i changed the oil on my bike late last fall and i overfilled my oil without realizing it .... i ran the bike up the road a few miles and back when i realized oil dripping from the bottom of bike. needless to say my heart dropped and i feared the worse. i stopped the bike and checked the oil level in the window and it shows it at proper level (i'm assuming it blew out all the excess oil, though i don't know where from)

anyways i just changed the oil a couple weeks ago getting ready for spring riding soon. i drained the old and replaced with the correct amount of new oil. i ran the bike (snow on ground so i didn't ride) to warm it up and everything looks and sounds as it should. now i have the bike at school (trailered it here) and i started it up today and the oil level is low and it is "milky" colored in the window and i smell anti-freeze when i run the bike. i shut the bike off immediately.

whats wrong with my bike? How bad did i mess it up?

it runs great as it should and it has no weird sounds coming from engine and the coolant/oil lights do not turn on. also no smoke from exhaust or anywhere else.

did i blow a head gasket? or??

thanks for your help guys!
NorthKoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Check for oil floating on the coolant, as you check thru the radiator cap and expansion tank.

Compression should be low if your gasket is blown.
A compression and leak down tests could tell.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #3
NorthKoast
ninjette.org member

i just checked and there doesn't seem to be any oil in the expansion tank, but i did notice the antifreeze is low. could the 'milky' oil be caused from moisture from sitting outside in below 30temp for a few days? (its in a parking ramp with cover on the bike)

how do i perform a compression and leak down test?

Old March 9th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #4
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Couple of questions for you:

How do you know you overfilled it if after you first looked at the level it was correct in the site window.

Did you warm the engine/oil prior to changing it this past time? Oil and filter change?

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #5
NorthKoast
ninjette.org member

i put oil in the bike from a 4qt oil container that only had a little over a quart used from it. so i'm guessing i put in approx. 2.5 qts of oil in the bike ... so about 3/4qt. too much oil. (these are guesstimates)

i did not run the bike before i changed the oil a week ago. i was in my Dads shop and he didnt want the bike run in the shop. could not running it before oil change cause milky oil?

Old March 9th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #6
dubojr1

Ok. Moisture can build up in the engine as the bike is stored. What you may be seeing is the new oil mixing with that moisture when you started it up. It should evaporate after a good ride but of course you'll need good weather for that.

Old March 9th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #7
Vampyre
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black, 2005 ZX-6R Blue

The zx6r guys on my other forum who leave their bikes out in winter will get cloudy milky oil if they don't run the bikes long enough to get up to full operating temp due to condensation inside the engine.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #8
NorthKoast
ninjette.org member

so, do you figure it would be totally safe to take the bike for a spin as it is?

(i'll top off the antifreeze before i ride) .... its supposed to finally hit upper 50s-low 60s tomorrow so that should be a warm ride for MN.

Old March 9th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #9
dubojr1

I would say yes.

Old March 9th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #10
dubojr1

Be cautious while your out though in case you do have a coolant leak.

Old March 9th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthKoast View Post
i just checked and there doesn't seem to be any oil in the expansion tank, but i did notice the antifreeze is low. could the 'milky' oil be caused from moisture from sitting outside in below 30temp for a few days? (its in a parking ramp with cover on the bike)

how do i perform a compression and leak down test?
Take a look to this somehow similar situation (for a car), with some tests to perform:

http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...=842510#842510

For a compression test:
You need a tester and a 10 mm adapter that goes into the spark plug hole.
You crank the engine until the pressure indicator reaches max reading.
Proper reading should be between 140 and 220 psi for each cylinder.
A static leak test on the water side may be easier to do, not requiring risking the engine.

I wouldn't ride the bike with milky oil, because you never know how much water and the bearings may get damaged.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #12
smokinsingle
L8APEX

Name: CRA#33 EXPERT

Motorcycle(s): 07 KTM 950SMR, 06 KTM 450SMR, 99 KTM 300MXC, 00 Derbi GPR 50, 09 Ninja 250 racebike, race with www.cra-mn.org!

From one MNsotan to another, your bike is fine.....Condensation makes all of our bikes oil milky. Operating oil temps in your motor are higher than waters boiling point, so, after your first good (op temp)ride the water will become vapor and go right out the crankcase breather.
The too much oil issue really is no issue at all at the amounts you are talking about. The excess oil can get into the airbox at higher rpm through the crankcase breather so be sure to check your airfilter and clean out any excess oil in both the filter and the airbox. go ride tomorrow! 65 forecasted!

Old March 9th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #13
kawi
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I live in Wisconsin and mine is the same way. Its gets milky when its cold. I wouldnt worry about it. Suppose to hit 60 this week =)
kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #14
NorthKoast
ninjette.org member

attached are a couple pics of the pass. side of bike. it was warm enough in parking garage to work on bike so i decided it best to check the bike out before i ride ... better safe than sorry i guess.

anyways i was down a little on fluid but not terribly bad so i topped that off. but my question is, what would cause the corrosion on my thermostat [shown in pics below]? there is a little corrosion on front of motor also on the hard lines coming from front of the engine block, but i'm assuming that is just from run off from a higher leak source?

03102012848.jpg 03102012847.jpg

the bike is my only vehicle so i have no way to get it to a shop to get it checked out .. (without riding, which i prefer not to do since i have no idea whats wrong, if anything, at this point)

also i started the bike up after topping off the coolant and checking all the hoses/clamps. i didnt see any oil movement in the window, so i shut it down right away. (the bike only ran for a few moments). it doesnt appear to be dripping any oil, but the bottom of where the oil filter is located is oily.

what are your thoughts guys? am i as dumb as i feel? lol

Old March 10th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #15
NorthKoast
ninjette.org member

i should also mention that i popped open the oil filler cap and the cap has a slight gas smell. so im guessing im not burning all the fuel.