ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old September 20th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #441
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I just use a zip-tie on the fork stanchion to see how far it goes up. My local trail is a good gauge for how my fork is. I know that on one loop it should do about 70/my 100mm travel, and then at Vulture's knob, it will do about 85-90mm while riding at a good pace. That leaves me a little in reserve, just in case I hit anything really hot. I'm light enough that even the sh*tty suntour fork on my Yukon is not terrible. Just have to be aware that it's not the best thing ever, but it doesn't flex a ton on me and I can lock it out on climbs, so it works for me.

I think if I get the motorsports gopro package, that should give me enough stickies to put one on the mtb, one on the ninja, along with the suction cup for the ninja, and I can get a 1/4" camera mount adapter and continue using my tank camera/gps mount.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #442
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

That is what I have. The motorsport package. I had to purchase a strap to mount it on my helmet.

I do have an oring on my fork, that tells me how far it goes. Having a video showing my fork would be a great indicator for the section I could travel better. Maybe the video would show a hidden line I didn't see while riding it. It would be a good tool to have.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #443
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Plus it looks sweet. I mean, you know you want some sweet MTB action pictures.

Old September 20th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #444
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I do have HD video of a few of my rides, but nothing with my bike in it, or me for that matter. If I only had more money to have several GP cameras. Then I could line them on the trail like it was an XC race.

Old September 20th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #445
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

On a side note: I could have my friend use the camera on his bike. The only real issue with that is I am so much faster than he is on a trail. Initially he is faster than I am, but I am more of a diesel than he is. He runs away early, then I reel him back in and then I'm gone.

Endurance FTW! lol

Old September 20th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #446
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah, I'm not the fastest rider because I'm not the strongest. I get caught up in some of the technical stuff at times because I can't power over/through it, and that kills my momentum. I've also eaten it enough times that I'm sorta cautious on some sections of the trail that I know I've had trouble on before. But I can ride at the same pace all day long.

On the road bike, hills are a fun challenge, but they're something that I really have to work on. Again, it's a power thing for me I think. Idk though. I get better every time I ride some days I haul the mail. Some days I just take it easy and try to never have to put a foot down.

Old September 20th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #447
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Do some intervals. That helps with overall power and VO2 max. Plus it is fun.

I'll power through some sections then try to hold the pace I had before. It really is a challenge, but after a minute or so of hard riding after the power section, my HR starts to fall and I get comfortable again. Just a big mind game, quite great fun.

Old September 20th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #448
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I was also thinking of mounting the camera on my rear swingarm on the bike. That may be an interesting view...albeit obstructed.

Old September 20th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #449
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Ugh intervals. I do that when I run. I don't want to think about that on a bicycle...

Yeah that would be awesome!! the trick would be mounting it securely.

Old September 20th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #450
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

You are viewing it the wrong way. Using a trail you frequent often, just picture a section of it and tell yourself you are going to ride it faster and harder than you ever have. Then just rail it. Thinking of it as an interval instead of a challenge takes the fun out of it really fast.

Mind games.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:03 AM   #451
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah that works. I did some sprints up the only rolling hills I could find near me today. It was fun into a head wind

In the spirit of this thread:
I'm looking for a new road bike. I think I've grown to the point where I'm ready for something stiffer and more rigid for climbing. Lighter wouldn't hurt either, but that's not at the top of my list. I think I'm ready to switch to carbon. I rode a buddy's carbon Scanttente (is that spelled right? ) last year, and it was a really nice ride.

So far I'm looking at the Specialized Tarmac mid-compact, the Giant Defy Composite, and the Trek Madone 3. The Giant has the option of SRAM apex or shimano components, the others are shimano. I will be doing some test riding over thanksgiving at home, and at the LBS in Lima.

Opinions on SRAM Apex vs Shimano 105/Ultegra? I need to get some test rides in before I know what frame I like best, but the components I need some info on. I'm partial to Giant because of my MTB, but I've heard that the Tarmac and Madone both had really great frames. Also, my LBS back home that I really like sells Giants, and that's a pro in my books. The shop that I don't really like is the one that sells Specialized and Trek. I really need to keep that bias out of my decision

EDIT: did I mention that the Defy Composite 3 comes in sexy white and the specialized comes in sexy red, while the madone only comes in black?? But the Defy Composite 2 comes with SRAM Apex components. I guess it depends which component/frame combo I like, then color but. dat. white!

Old September 22nd, 2012, 04:17 PM   #452
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Yeah that works. I did some sprints up the only rolling hills I could find near me today. It was fun into a head wind

In the spirit of this thread:
I'm looking for a new road bike. I think I've grown to the point where I'm ready for something stiffer and more rigid for climbing. Lighter wouldn't hurt either, but that's not at the top of my list. I think I'm ready to switch to carbon. I rode a buddy's carbon Scanttente (is that spelled right? ) last year, and it was a really nice ride.

So far I'm looking at the Specialized Tarmac mid-compact, the Giant Defy Composite, and the Trek Madone 3. The Giant has the option of SRAM apex or shimano components, the others are shimano. I will be doing some test riding over thanksgiving at home, and at the LBS in Lima.

Opinions on SRAM Apex vs Shimano 105/Ultegra? I need to get some test rides in before I know what frame I like best, but the components I need some info on. I'm partial to Giant because of my MTB, but I've heard that the Tarmac and Madone both had really great frames. Also, my LBS back home that I really like sells Giants, and that's a pro in my books. The shop that I don't really like is the one that sells Specialized and Trek. I really need to keep that bias out of my decision

EDIT: did I mention that the Defy Composite 3 comes in sexy white and the specialized comes in sexy red, while the madone only comes in black?? But the Defy Composite 2 comes with SRAM Apex components. I guess it depends which component/frame combo I like, then color but. dat. white!
A friend of mine has the SRAM. He really likes it. I am a Shimano fanboy. It just feels right to me. The SRAM takes quite a while to adjust to from the Shimano setup. On the flip side, it is a more simplistic design with fewer moving parts and is lighter. He is very happy with it. I found that the Specialized is very twitchy at lower speeds. If you climb and get slowed up too much, it could be a bastard to keep upright.

I guess that is why I like Trek so much. It just suits my riding style.

One thing my friend praised about the Tarmac was that it felt like a rocket and it begged to be ridden fast. He ended up with the Roubaix because he wanted comfort over speed. He broke his wrist, so he thought comfort should outweigh speed.

I can beat him on my Trek 1.5, but then again, the motor is what matters more than the bike.

I can understand the desire for carbon. I'd love one, just won't get one until I am do for a new bike. Once that happens, the Trek will be a good training toy only.

I honestly feel the SRAM vs Shimano debate is a matter of taste. I like the shifting of the Shimano. The sram is supposed to be more bulletproof.

I'd read up on it.

Best thing to do it test ride it and do tons of shifting. That is how I learned I love SRAM for MTB, but I love my shimano for road bikes. The SRAM is so much easier to shift in technical sections of trail.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 08:50 AM   #453
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
My desire for carbon is from the fact that I'm riding a 2006 Dawes 1000, a really basice aluminum frame running Shimano Sora components; anything is an upgrade at this point, so I figure I might as well just get the bike that I'll be able to use the longest. I'm so ready to have a frame that doesn't feel mushy and flexy underneath me when i get up and climb. I'm also still running a triple up front My buddy's Cannondale six13 is so much smoother with an Ultegra setup and a double up front.

That doesn't surprise me about the Specialized. It seems to have the most aggressive geometry of the group that I'm looking at.

I've got SRAM on my MTB, and I really really like it. Never had a missed shift, it shifts well at low speeds, and there's minimal chatter (except when I'm stupid and bend my derailleur hanger by clipping it on rocks...). I also like my shifters both being under my bar; easier to get to, and looks cleaner imho. I've only ridden road bikes with shimano and had no issues, so that could be a huge change.

I'm excited to do some test rides yo!

SIDE NOTE: I'm still impressed with my MTB. It's the budget full suspension model from Giant and has a mini-maestro link in the back, but no floating rear. It has a basic fork, and mechanical disk brakes. Doesn't look that great on paper, but it's held up to a pounding! Seriously it eats up every trail I've thrown at it, and it's done great! The fork is really the only part that's less than stellar, but even that does it's job. I'm very impressed with this bike; the guys at my bike shop were very impressed as well, which is why they recommended I take a look at it in the first place.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 09:39 AM   #454
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I really dislike the Shimano MTB setup. Taking my trigger finger off the bar/brake to shift is retarded. Let me use my thumbs to shift, keep my fingers for braking. Thank you. SRAM wins MTB.

I love my Trek/GF HiFi. Man that thing will roll over almost anything. I can't wait to take it out again.

On a side note, any of the bikes you pick out of your list of mfgs, they are amazing. Have fun deciding. There are no big twisties or any harsh downhills, so an aggressive setup is not needed. The more stable Trek works great for me.

I almost got a GT for my MTB, but the GF just barely edged it out. So many good bikes out there...tough decisions.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 09:45 AM   #455
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Taking my trigger finger off the bar/brake to shift is retarded. Let me use my thumbs to shift, keep my fingers for braking. Thank you. SRAM wins MTB

Old September 23rd, 2012, 09:57 AM   #456
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

My Trek Transport has the Shimano MTB shifters. That is fine. The cargo bike isn't going fast, or doing any technical riding. So I don't mind it at all.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:09 AM   #457
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
woah! the road bike for mountain bikers and commuters??? I would love to have disks on my road bike! Imagine having mtb stopping power on your commute!!

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...ccompact#specs

Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:42 AM   #458
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Yup. I've been wanting discs on my road bike for ages.

Maybe I'll get a good CX bike next time.

Been looking at this one:
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ossrip_elite/#

Old September 27th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #459
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Update on my search: I went to an LBS in Lima and checked out some treks.

There was no Madone on hand, so I tried out the 1.5 around the parking lot (dumb bike shop owner wouldn't let me out of his sight...). A 56cm frame is perfect for me; nice and compact, but not cramped and the bars weren't too low. It also felt tons better than my current road bike, lighter too. It's making me re-consider whether the carbon frame is worth it or not now.

I can get that 1.5 with Tiagra components, carbon fork, and carbon seatpost for $1350. It also felt much better than my current ride.

I can get a Giant Defy 1 with 105 components, carbon fork, and carbon seatpost for $1350 as well. Really making me rethink if the full carbon frame is necessary.

I plan to test ride the Defy composite 3, Madone, and Tarmac as well, but I'm beginning to think that they may be overkill for me. I was impressed with that Trek. I still have a bias towards Giant though. Looking at the geometries online, the medium Defy 1 and the 56cm 1.5 are nearly identical

Old September 27th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #460
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Well honestly, unless you are counting grams, you can't beat aluminum.

Plus, aluminum is far easier to repair than carbon.

It is like my friend, he got his Roubaix because he was set on carbon. He liked the comfort aspects of it, but he is a big gram counter. He runs a certain tire because it weighs like half a gram less than this other tire...ridiculous stuff at times. Ok, he isn't that bad, but sometimes it seems that way. LOL

We did our MS150 ride. We had crazy bad headwinds both days (worse on the first). I was conserving myself some on the first day. He would run off, then wait for me, then run off and wait for me. I told him to just go and I'll see him at the lunch stop. He did. He beat me there by 10 minutes or so. No biggy. Then he took off again and waited for me at the last rest stop. He was there 15 minutes. Ok, so he has a total of 25 minutes over me for the day.

Day 2. We headed out. He was hurting bad after day 1. I was just kind of hurting. I was waiting for him today (this is also where the hills come into play, hence my taking it easier on day 1). He told me to take off and I did. I was at lunch for about 5 minutes before he arrived. Gap to 20-min. I took off again, and waited another 5. 15. Then I just cruised with him to the finish. He kept telling me to take off, and I said, "Dude, I don't want to beat you by 30-min to the finish". He laughed and said that he finally knew why I was riding slow that first day. LOL

So, even though he had the fast carbon bike that cost over twice what my Trek 1.5 cost, I still beat him on the ride. Yeah carbon is a bit lighter than aluminum. However, I lost 20-lbs around my mid section before the ride, my friend was at the same weight he was last year. So, those extra $$$$ to save weight (and mainly comfort for him) didn't offset my weight savings by changing my diet slightly.

So, think about the carbon debate. 1) they are more desirable, 2) they cost more, 3) you tend to get lower grade components to help offset the mfg costs of carbon.

If the roads around you are pretty smooth, I'd just get aluminum.

Old September 27th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #461
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The roads really aren't bad near home. I get some tar/chip near campus, but not bumpy or harsh. Al has been fine so far, with bumpiness. Both of those bikes are definitely superior to my Dawes.

Another perk of Aluminum is I could buy myself a GoPro with the savings.

I'll talk to the parental units about coming home to look at bikes. I like my LBS that well. They've treated me right.

Old September 27th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #462
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

That would be tempting. A new bike and a new GoPro. Nice.

You cold always look at a CX bike. It would at least give you the option to run thicker tires than the typical roadie. That would help make the roads super smooth.

Old September 27th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #463
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Something like this

Trek CrossRip Elite $1300

Not nearly as good of a gruppo as the 1.5, but dang, this bike is a tempting replacement for my 1.5 in a year or two.
700x32c tires...disc brakes...

I could easily drop better shifters on that setup...would be AWESOME. Maybe a Tiagra setup would work, since it would mainly be a roadie.
Or...a nice 105 gruppo....

Old September 27th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #464
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Eh, those are cool, but I'm not really into cross bikes. I have a decent XC mountain bike for that. My buddy on the six13 uses 700x25 gatorskins and really likes them. Some of the older guys I ride with at home also run 25's and like them as well.

(I ride with a couple 60+ year old guys from my church who have been riding forever. My buddy and I kill them up hills, but they're always ready for another 10 miles, no matter how far we've gone )

EDIT: yeah i looked at at that. The disks are really temping!! But I'd rather just have a standard road bike

Old September 27th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #465
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

25's are apparently more aerodynamic than the 23's, and more plush.

The 23's are great for weight savings, the 25's are great for flats and cruising speeds. I have been wanting to try some 25's on my 1.5...

Yeah, my mindselt is kind of drifting to more of an all-around bike. The CrossRip would suit that nicely. Not only would it be a capable roadie, but it will have the disc brakes which I really love. They keep me from having to replace wheels due to brake wear. Also, they don't get dirty as easily. I also like how it is still a roadie, but I could take it offroad if I desired. Then I could officially sell off my Specialized HardRock Sport 29er...because this bike would basically be the same (without the front suspension of course).

I am thinking possibly stripping the 1.5 of the tiagra components and putting the sora from the CrossRip on there. The CR would then have the tiagra setup, which would be nice (10spd out back instead of 9) and the disc brakes. Thus giving me all I desire on the bike.

Of course I'd have to list the 1.5 a little lower because essentially it would be a 1.2 with that sora gruppo. That is only about $100-$150 price difference. I could easily sell the 1.5 at around $750 with that fresh gruppo. ($250 less than the 1.2 is new).

Old September 27th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #466
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Do it! You could sell both the 1.5 and the 29'r

I've read that about 25's actually! That's what the guys I ride with say. They really like them. They say that they absorb everything from the road and keep speed better over bumps. I want to try it out!

Yeah that CR would be a great all around bike later on in life for me. But for now, I think I'll stick with a trail bike and a road bike. No need to mix the two yet.

Old September 27th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #467
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I have my trail bike, a Gary Fisher HiFi 29er. Full suspension FTW.

Last futzed with by Apex; September 27th, 2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: I pitty da foo' who can't spell!

Old September 27th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #468
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
FS FTW. Amen.

Old September 30th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #469
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Erm, so I rode my bicycle for the first time since getting the bike-bike the other day. Yea, I definitely kept catching myself using only my right hand to break, and I'm pretty sure my right foot kept trying to find a brake pedal to step on.
BlueHairSar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #470
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

yeah I do that now a lot too... haha
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #471
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Join the club! I stretch out my rear brake cable more than the front because I keep trying to brake with the right hand on my MTB like I do on my ninjette. Only issue is, that's the rear brake not the front!! Doesn't do as much

I'm not sure I'm ready to swap brake levers, so I just have to put myself if bicycle mode vs motorcycle mode

Old October 1st, 2012, 10:15 PM   #472
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Weird, I never had that problem.

FYI: I think Britain has the brakes swapped from us. I am not sure if that is a fact, just what I heard.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 01:30 AM   #473
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I just bought a bike so now I can be a nerd like you guys!

Considering how ****ing hard it was to ride my brothers bike I'll attach a camera so my noobiness can be recorded.

Also I got these to make me go super fast and look ultra cool!

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:43 AM   #474
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I have to adjust the slack on the rear brake more often than I have to with the front. I found that I can back it in through tight turn like motorcycles to to help rotate a little, without locking it up. It's easier to do on xc tires with hardpack honestly. Just leaves nice tread marks, no skid marks, so I'm not damaging the trails at all

Jiggles, that makes you a dork. Nerds. Pssh.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:45 AM   #475
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

why cant I see the picture?
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2012, 01:54 PM   #476
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Because you FAIL AT TEH INTERWEBS!!!!!!

I was all freaking out last week. I was going to go for a ride and I could not find my suspension air pump. No way I could take out my MTB without airing up the suspension first! I searched high and low, nothing. Man, I was a little ticked about that. Fast forward to today...

I got back from running a couple of errands and decided that I would take a peek to see if I could find it. Within 3 minutes I had it in my hand. WHY COULDN'T I HAVE DONE THAT EARLIER????

The pump is going in a special place where I won't misplace it again.

*derp*

Old October 2nd, 2012, 02:01 PM   #477
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Here's the bike I ordered. One of the only $200 bikes I could find with good reviews, its only bad reviews were because it requires some assembly stupid noobs.

IMHO it's likely just as good as a $1000 bike, probably even better

http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Hybrid...pr_product_top
AFM #676

Old October 2nd, 2012, 02:04 PM   #478
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
IMHO it's likely just as good as a $1000 bike, probably even better
well... errrm. Okay.

As long as it fits your needs and works the way you want it to, that's the important part

Old October 2nd, 2012, 02:10 PM   #479
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Lol, man I'm pretty excited! Finally I can get some goddamn exercise!

My plan is that whenever I have junk food cravings, I'll just go ride the bike and hopefully I'll be able to train myself so that when I feel that snack craving it instead makes me want to exercise. Maybe I'll put the stim machine on my temples at use it as shock therapy?
AFM #676

Old October 2nd, 2012, 02:15 PM   #480
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

That looks like a decent bike. I rented something similar last time I was in Chicago. It rode very well. Me thinks you likes bunches.