ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 7th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #1
Finder
ninjette.org member

Name: Mr.

Motorcycle(s): F650GS Dakar, FJR1300, Ninja 250R

Headlight Adjustment Question

Has anyone adjusted their headlight vertically with all the fairings still attached? I'm able to reach up from under nose, and I'm able to locate the adjustment knob, but I'm finding it extremely difficult to rotate. Large arms and hands don't exactly help either.

Is that adjustment screw suppose to be tight? Which way do you rotate to move the beam down? Any help would be most appreciated!

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Headlight.jpg (134.8 KB, 35 views)
Finder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #2
kkim

there have been people here that have adjusted the headlight w/o taking the fairings off. yes, small hands help.... no kids or girlfriend to help?

point the bike towards garage wall, put it up on a rear stand and turn the knob... you can see which way does what by watching the light on the wall. I mark the cutoff line w/ some masking tape on the wall so I have some sort of reference.

I don't remember mine being hard to turn.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #3
Finder
ninjette.org member

I'll have to try it again tomorrow, maybe with a thin grippy work glove on. It was definitely TIGHT when I tried it a few hours ago.

Old August 7th, 2009, 01:07 AM   #4
kkim

did you try turning it either way?

Old August 7th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #5
Finder
ninjette.org member

Yes. Didn't budge either way.

But then again, I may have been a little out of it after putting on the Area P, shimming the needles, and running around after finding what was suppose to be M4 washers were actually M6. Mislabeled parts suck.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow. If it doesn't work, the nose will be coming off for some troubleshooting.

Old August 7th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #6
kkim

if you have the lower fairings off, I would say you have a good chance to reach in and grab the adjustment knob... no need to take the nose fairing off. hard to imagine what can be wrong with the adjuster... i think it's just a screw that threads into the headlight bracket assembly to move it up or down.

gl... let us know what you find.

Old August 9th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Finder
ninjette.org member

Tried it again and it was just as bad. I'm going to pull the nose when I have a bit of time and see exactly what's binding. Hope a little lubricant is all it needs.

Old August 9th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

not sure why yours is so hard to turn. without taking the fairings off, i was able to just reach up from underneath and turn it with my bare hand. then again, i guess i am kind of a manly man.

unless you plan on doing something else while you have it apart, taking the fairings off just to adjust the headlight seems a pain.

good luck.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

My headlight is blown. Can I just take all the fairings off and pop in a new one or will I need to adjust and aim them too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
not sure why yours is so hard to turn. without taking the fairings off, i was able to just reach up from underneath and turn it with my bare hand. then again, i guess i am kind of a manly man.

unless you plan on doing something else while you have it apart, taking the fairings off just to adjust the headlight seems a pain.

good luck.
Heck, consider it a pain evenr for outright replacement. I don't have to take a bumper off to change a car's headlight.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #10
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I would try changing it without taking them off first - just point it at a wall and use a piece of tape or something to mark the cut-off. Don't move the bike while you are swapping the bulbs. Once you have the new bulb in, fire her up and check to see if it's in the same place - if not, then you'll know you have to adjust. If all else fails, you can then take off the plastics. It's really not all that bad, but not all that fun either...

Old October 17th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #11
Finder
ninjette.org member

The bulbs are standardized as to where the filament sits. You should not have to readjust the aim. Having said that, I would still check aim regardless.

As for the hard to turn adjustment screw, it was hard to turn because it was backed in to the extreme. Once I turned it enough times to get the aim roughly leveled, the adjustment know was quite easy to move.

Old September 27th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #12
dwolson2
ninjette.org member

Name: Derrick

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

just got done, clock wise is up, CCW is down. Mine was really low. We will see in the AM if its good to go
dwolson2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
I would try changing it without taking them off first - just point it at a wall and use a piece of tape or something to mark the cut-off. Don't move the bike while you are swapping the bulbs. Once you have the new bulb in, fire her up and check to see if it's in the same place - if not, then you'll know you have to adjust. If all else fails, you can then take off the plastics. It's really not all that bad, but not all that fun either...
Kinda hard to mark the cut-off point of the light beam when the light is blown and there is no beam.

I'm not sure, but I imagine that the high beam and low beam could aim a bit differently between bulbs.

Old April 22nd, 2015, 07:43 PM   #14
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Just bumping this thread to say thanks. My lights were way low after fiddling with them and now, right as rain!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2015, 09:15 AM   #15
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Heck, consider it a pain evenr for outright replacement. I don't have to take a bumper off to change a car's headlight.
Found this thread looking to adjust my headlight. There are PLENTY of vehicles that need to have front bumpers removed to change headlights, fog lights, turn signals, etc. Manufacturers design vehicles to be quickly and easily assembled, they do not care at all about how easy they are to service.
95PGTTech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2015, 06:13 AM   #16
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95PGTTech View Post
Found this thread looking to adjust my headlight. There are PLENTY of vehicles that need to have front bumpers removed to change headlights, fog lights, turn signals, etc. Manufacturers design vehicles to be quickly and easily assembled, they do not care at all about how easy they are to service.
Good thing you aren't legally required to replace a blown fog light in order to drive (indeed: they are usually options). Many states allow hand signals when the blinkers go. It makes sense that they wouldn't be worried about user access with Xenon or LED, but I have yet to see one that requires disassembly for the standard headlights. Worst I've seen was having to remove a bar that holds in the battery.

FWIW, I replaced my 2011 Corolla's headlight yesterday.

Old November 9th, 2016, 10:50 AM   #17
manumid
ninjette.org member

Name: Manuel

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Hi, I have a question (sorry for revive this old thread!).

Is there a way to adjust the high beam aim and low beam aim INDEPENDENTLY?

I've switched my stock bulbs to LED CREE ones, and I saw that the aim of the high and low beams are very close one each other, so I have to raise ONLY the high beam, or low ONLY the low beam.

I've found a screw behind the headlight (just below the vertical adjustment knob), but I am not sure of its purpose (I've turned it and I see no difference).

Thank you!
manumid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2016, 01:45 PM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I thought that knob affected them both together.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote