VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
The interview was awful. Some highlights

4. They were unable to tell me either their sales goals or their previous sales numbers

7. They offered me the job, sales job, for $10 an hour plus 15% of commission and said that I'd make 70k but were not able to provide me with anyone's actual salary or any actual numbers of actual units sold

So I ran away really really really REALLY fast.

Also I wore jeans which was a good call because I felt overdressed even in that.
Every sales manager I have ever met had a spreadsheet or whiteboard with unit sales totals. It was pretty much a public competition between the salespersons to see who could sell the most. While I could see that maybe the actual dollars of sales and individuals pay are proprietary they should have been able to say "Bob sold 23 bikes last month, Jerry sold 15, Ralph sold 2....."

Sounds like running away was a good plan. But at least you got to work on your interview skills. Make some notes on what worked and didn't work in the interview so you will be better prepared for the next one. The interview while awful was valuable as a learning experience.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2017, 07:44 PM   #122
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
The interview was awful. Some highlights

1. They asked my age (not that I care, but its considered incredibly rude)
2. Two people were interviewing me and others were constantly coming in and interrupting and asking about other stuff and they would end up chatting and I sat there awkwardly
3. They told me their parts department is worthless
4. They were unable to tell me either their sales goals or their previous sales numbers
5. Their service department was dimly lit, not heated, there was trash all over the floor and not a single square inch of clear space on their counters or tool boxes
6. They stood around chatting with other employees about how to lower a cobra bike for some guy's son for a full fifteen minutes while trying to start some other random dirtbikes just for fun because there was nothing to do (and I was just standing there kind of ignored at this point)
7. They offered me the job, sales job, for $10 an hour plus 15% of commission and said that I'd make 70k but were not able to provide me with anyone's actual salary or any actual numbers of actual units sold
8. They openly joked about firing other employees and about the employee they just fired last week
9. They talked about other employees and said they were annoying and not likable but they sold well so they get to stay
10. Their show room was unacceptable, bikes were just stacked on other bikes and there wasnt a single motorcycle that was in full view, all just lined up within 3 inches of other bikes, it didn't even look like a dealership but more like a dingy warehouse
11. They were trying to sell used Japanese dirtbikes for upwards of $4500
12. They told me they're mad at Beta and want to drop Beta (maybe why their TWO Beta bikes were stuffed in a back corner) because of some weird story about how the manager bought a beta for himself and didn't tie it down properly and it fell off the trailer on the highway and got dragged; and then it had issues (duh) and wouldn't start, and their service department cannot figure out why, and Beta is refusing to consider that warranty work and does not want to give them a new wiring harness for free

So I ran away really really really REALLY fast.

Also I wore jeans which was a good call because I felt overdressed even in that.
Good experience for yourself. Now you have the worst job interview of your life out of the way, it's all gotta be good from here. IT IS ILLEGAL TO ASK AN APPLICANTS AGE!!!!!!! You could get them into a whole lot of trouble but why bother, they are going to hang themselves anyway.

Man, on-line parts support is looking better and better. I'm very glad I wrench my own motorcycles.

Keep on truckin'.

Bill

Old November 14th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #123
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
Good decision, sounds like a terrible place to work. Asking how old you are in an interview can actually be illegal, but since you're obviously under 40 just from looking at you, it might not have been illegal in your particular case. Regardless, they don't sound like good people.
Yeah... I'm not that desperate. Would not work there. I'm 24 for the record.
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2017, 08:12 PM   #124
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet
You could get them into a whole lot of trouble but why bother, they are going to hang themselves anyway.
Story of my life when it comes to motorcycle industry job interviews.

My interview at my tech job went like this:

What is your experience? I did xyz to my Ninja 250.
What tools do you have? Only what I needed to do xyz to my Ninja 250.
What bike do you have, and did you ride it here? SV 650 and yes.
Come with whatever tools you have on Tuesday.

That shop set the gold standard for everything. I can tell pretty quick if/how sexist the management is, or is going to be, in the interview. A dead giveaway is, "I'm not trying to be sexist, but..." it's a big problem in the motorcycle industry. Where I worked (Cycles of Silver Spring) I wasn't "one of the guys" nor was it like "don't talk that way there's a lady around." It IS possible to treat a female who works on bikes as, surprise, just another human being...

off my soapbox

Old November 14th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #125
Ram Jet

Quote:
Story of my life when it comes to motorcycle industry job interviews.

My interview at my tech job went like this:

What is your experience? I did xyz to my Ninja 250.
What tools do you have? Only what I needed to do xyz to my Ninja 250.
What bike do you have, and did you ride it here? SV 650 and yes.
Come with whatever tools you have on Tuesday.

That shop set the gold standard for everything. I can tell pretty quick if/how sexist the management is, or is going to be, in the interview. A dead giveaway is, "I'm not trying to be sexist, but..." it's a big problem in the motorcycle industry. Where I worked (Cycles of Silver Spring) I wasn't "one of the guys" nor was it like "don't talk that way there's a lady around." It IS possible to treat a female who works on bikes as, surprise, just another human being...

off my soapbox
I guess I couldn't talk you into singing a couple choruses of "I enjoy Being a Girl" by Doris Day huh?

Bill

Old November 14th, 2017, 09:23 PM   #126
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
I am going to be making $0 from them because I'm not going to work there
I understood that, but was just expressing how ridiculous their estimate of your possible income was. Here's hoping for better prospects to come along soon!

I might be wrong, but from what I've read, it's not illegal to ask your age at an interview. What is done with the information could possibly be illegal, but asking and getting an answer is not.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2017, 09:36 PM   #127
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Thanks. I wrote a letter to the AMA yesterday basically cold applying for a job and they got back to me today. The person on the other end said she forwarded my info to the president of the company so we'll see if anything happens. Going to write to a few other companies like that and see if it gets me anywhere. I'm interested less in selling units than in selling people on getting into motorcycling and sticking with it... I could see myself doing some kind of project management or event coordination or something..

Old November 14th, 2017, 09:44 PM   #128
Ram Jet

Quote:
Thanks. I wrote a letter to the AMA yesterday basically cold applying for a job and they got back to me today. The person on the other end said she forwarded my info to the president of the company so we'll see if anything happens. Going to write to a few other companies like that and see if it gets me anywhere. I'm interested less in selling units than in selling people on getting into motorcycling and sticking with it... I could see myself doing some kind of project management or event coordination or something..
Good thinkin' Katie. I never thought of the A.M.A. That could be a classy and rewarding place to work.

Good luck. Office of the President - excuse ME!

Bill

Old November 15th, 2017, 07:20 AM   #129
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Best of luck. Aim high.

Too bad about the interview, but at least you got a clear picture of the place and know absolutely it's not for you.

Great dealerships are few-and-far-between these days. Getting into a legitimate organization would be a huge step up.

It will happen for you, but it may take some time.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2017, 11:41 AM   #130
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Good luck!

That shop sounds like a terrible place to work. Glad you passed it up. Nothing sounds reasonable about it.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2017, 11:54 AM   #131
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I sent a LinkedIn request with a short message to the marketing manager of Beta Motorcycles. To my surprise he accepted my connection request and also sent me a message saying they're not hiring right now but he can pass along my info to his supervisors (meaning they probably are hiring for certain select things, right?)

I wrote back thanking him for his time and telling him about me and what I'm interested in.. getting more female riders into the industry through group rides and community networking.. super interested in Beta two stroke technology and also am curious about being a brand ambassador, interested in getting involved in any way that I can.

I'm not sure if this will go anywhere but I would LOVE to work for Beta!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 18th, 2017, 01:49 PM   #132
CaliGrrl

Good luck!

Old November 19th, 2017, 08:48 AM   #133
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Why doesn't the motorcycle industry have a casting couch? I think more jobs would open up in the industry.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old November 19th, 2017, 10:02 AM   #134
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Why doesn't the motorcycle industry have a casting couch? I think more jobs would open up in the industry.
INCOMING Cowboy!!!! Ladies, lock and load.

Bill

Old November 19th, 2017, 10:45 AM   #135
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I assumed CC was using sarcasm to highlight the recent exposures of decades of abuse of both men and women by people in power. Right CC?

Old November 29th, 2017, 10:57 AM   #136
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
The AMA got back to me and said their DC office staff will be in the Ohio office for meetings next week and they'd like to meet with me if it fits with my schedule. It's a three hour drive from Pittsburgh to Columbus - think if I go, it'll prove that I really want the job!?

I'd have to relocate to DC.. find a sub-letter because my lease ends in July... move back in with my parents... eeeeek. I guess I'll take it step by step.

Old November 29th, 2017, 11:22 AM   #137
Ram Jet

Quote:
The AMA got back to me and said their DC office staff will be in the Ohio office for meetings next week and they'd like to meet with me if it fits with my schedule. It's a three hour drive from Pittsburgh to Columbus - think if I go, it'll prove that I really want the job!?

I'd have to relocate to DC.. find a sub-letter because my lease ends in July... move back in with my parents... eeeeek. I guess I'll take it step by step.
The fact that they got back to you is a very positive sign. If I were to consider you for employment and it wasn't worth a 3 - 4 hour drive to meet with me I'd figure you didn't have what it took to do the job. Don't be a freakin' millennial and expect an offer on a silver platter. A job with the AMA is not available to everyone - an order taker at McDonalds is. Opportunity knocks once.

Bill

Old November 29th, 2017, 11:33 AM   #138
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
get a job as a pro movie stunt driver and do sweet moto backflips on a harley

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 29th, 2017, 06:19 PM   #139
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:

I would make it fit my schedule if I were you, it definitely shows you want the job.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2017, 09:28 PM   #140
CaliGrrl

Yep- do the drive, go talk to them. Get the job and figure out how to make it happen after that. Ask if they have assistance for relocating and getting out of your lease.

Old November 30th, 2017, 06:16 AM   #141
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Don't think to far ahead you'll get anxiety. I do it to myself all the time lol step by step and if that is where you are supposed to be then you will end up there.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2017, 09:08 AM   #142
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I have a phone call with them today so I'll ask about their timeline and let them know I'm willing to meet them in Ohio. Yes, one step at a time... I get ahead of myself sometimes..

Old November 30th, 2017, 09:17 AM   #143
Ram Jet

Quote:
I have a phone call with them today so I'll ask about their timeline and let them know I'm willing to meet them in Ohio. Yes, one step at a time... I get ahead of myself sometimes..
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

Bill

Old November 30th, 2017, 09:45 AM   #144
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

One thing I've learned is to never wait for something to happen. If you want something, go get it, because it's not going to come to you.

Some people make excuses to avoid doing that, the most common being a variation of, "but look at <insert random successful person here>, they didn't have to do anything to get it!" Yes, it is true that there is a rare case of random benefit happening, but it's not the norm. If you want something, you have to go get it.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2017, 11:55 AM   #145
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Quote:
... I get ahead of myself sometimes..
Story of my life..
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2017, 11:59 AM   #146
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
One thing I've learned is to never wait for something to happen. If you want something, go get it, because it's not going to come to you.

Some people make excuses to avoid doing that, the most common being a variation of, "but look at <insert random successful person here>, they didn't have to do anything to get it!" Yes, it is true that there is a rare case of random benefit happening, but it's not the norm. If you want something, you have to go get it.
The Lord helps he who helps themselves? My dad sat in the H.R. office of Ford Motor Company every day for two weeks waiting. He kept telling them "There must be something I can do." He made a career of working for Ford.

Bill

Old November 30th, 2017, 08:19 PM   #147
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Wow, I don't think I want this job. It's pushing papers for lobbyists and has nothing to do with motorcycles. Only 3 people work in the office, which is located in downtown DC and would be a 1 hour commute each way. Plus I'd have to move within a month and I really like my set-up here. If it was any other company I'd have said no thanks on the phone but just in case it pays exceptionally well I guess I'll see how the interview goes. They said they've been trying to fill the position since July which strikes me as a red flag. They want another 2 people in the DC office but have so far been unable to fill those 2 positions. Meh

Old November 30th, 2017, 09:08 PM   #148
Ram Jet

Quote:
Wow, I don't think I want this job. It's pushing papers for lobbyists and has nothing to do with motorcycles. Only 3 people work in the office, which is located in downtown DC and would be a 1 hour commute each way. Plus I'd have to move within a month and I really like my set-up here. If it was any other company I'd have said no thanks on the phone but just in case it pays exceptionally well I guess I'll see how the interview goes. They said they've been trying to fill the position since July which strikes me as a red flag. They want another 2 people in the DC office but have so far been unable to fill those 2 positions. Meh
I put together A.M.A. and D.C. and came up with lobbyist. Could be a fun first gig though especially at your age.

Bill

Old November 30th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #149
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I put together A.M.A. and D.C. and came up with lobbyist. Could be a fun first gig though especially at your age.

Bill

Not worth it. I know that commute. I know who works on Capitol Hill. I'd have to abruptly pack up all my **** and leave. And move back in with my parents with no timeline for being able to move out. You need to make $50,000 a year to have an apartment in the DC area and not constantly be eating Ramen and living by candlelight. I'd do it for the right job but I just got bad vibes. The recruiter also plain forgot to call me and I had to email and remind her that we had an appointment. It would take something pretty awesome to pull me away from my cozy cheap apartment, my garage out back with space for 10 bikes, my few handful of friends, my dog park, and my 800 acre off-road riding park an hour from my house... this doesn't seem like that kinda gig. I guess I carved out a nice little setup for myself up here! Not eager to throw myself back into the expensive, maddening chaos of the DC area.

Old November 30th, 2017, 09:48 PM   #150
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Katie, I think your gut is telling you the truth.

Old December 1st, 2017, 08:20 AM   #151
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Think of all the political sharks you could be entertained by. You would see things you thought only happens in Hollywood (or with media big shots). Plus if you lasted a few years you might be able to see most of Congress arrested (not really, they live by different rules).

Old December 1st, 2017, 08:48 AM   #152
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

There's a lot to be said for your quality of life. It seems like you've already realized that, which puts you ahead in the game of life. There's no rush, listen to your gut.

Old December 1st, 2017, 08:59 AM   #153
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Yep the universe is saying dont do it .. maybe I just want a regular job that gives me the time and money to go to all the AMA events instead of working for the AMA

Old December 1st, 2017, 09:05 AM   #154
Ram Jet

Quote:
Yep the universe is saying dont do it .. maybe I just want a regular job that gives me the time and money to go to all the AMA events instead of working for the AMA
Smart cookie! "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take out breath away."

Bill

Old December 6th, 2017, 11:55 PM   #155
CaliGrrl

Boo. I'm sorry it didn't turn out to be such a great thing.

Old February 8th, 2018, 10:27 AM   #156
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread! I finally got a job!

In early January I decided that I needed to go outside of my house more and talk to more people and put myself "out there" and ask people for opportunities instead of just waiting for something to fall into my lap.

On a 10 degree day in January I decided to walk to this place called Prototype PGH which is a female-owned makerspace/workshop about a mile from my house. They are a really cool nonprofit organization that strives to help women do cool things. While I was there, I met the founder, who was interested in my idea to teach a workshop about what to look for when buying a used motorcycle from Craigslist. So I'm set up to teach that on March 3!

I also met a girl who's a mechanical engineer for Carnegie Robotics here in Pittsburgh. Long story short, she ended up getting me an interview as a Manufacturing Technician and lo and behold I start my new job on Monday as a Robotics Manufacturing & Engineering Tech. WTF???

I also searched on facebook a little bit and found a group called MoPitt who are a bunch of moped fanatics who happen to have a sweet 2-car garage TWO BLOCKS from my house where they tinker with mopeds all the time! There were like 25 random assortment mopeds in there with motors half apart and everything. They even invited me to get tacos with them, which I did, and they seem really cool and knowledgeable about peds. (My inexplicable obsession in life...)

I also was out walking my dog one day and saw a guy with a CB750 motor in the back of a van, so I talked to him, turns out he's an ER doctor who's opening up a small shop as a place for him to build custom bikes and do metal fabrication and just tinker with stuff. He said I am totally welcome to hang out and learn to weld and do some machining stuff and build bikes and use tools! He's having an opening party thing on Saturday.

Cool things happened as soon as I stopped sitting at home and just left my house and talked to people. Some of this stuff has been here all along and some is new, but it's really been worth putting the effort into actively finding opportunities and showing up and leaving my house.

So I just wanted to say, if you're feeling stuck or frustrated, GO OUTSIDE and talk to people!! You never know where it might take you!

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old February 8th, 2018, 10:55 AM   #157
Ram Jet

Quote:
I wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread! I finally got a job!

In early January I decided that I needed to go outside of my house more and talk to more people and put myself "out there" and ask people for opportunities instead of just waiting for something to fall into my lap.

On a 10 degree day in January I decided to walk to this place called Prototype PGH which is a female-owned makerspace/workshop about a mile from my house. They are a really cool nonprofit organization that strives to help women do cool things. While I was there, I met the founder, who was interested in my idea to teach a workshop about what to look for when buying a used motorcycle from Craigslist. So I'm set up to teach that on March 3!

I also met a girl who's a mechanical engineer for Carnegie Robotics here in Pittsburgh. Long story short, she ended up getting me an interview as a Manufacturing Technician and lo and behold I start my new job on Monday as a Robotics Manufacturing & Engineering Tech. WTF???

I also searched on facebook a little bit and found a group called MoPitt who are a bunch of moped fanatics who happen to have a sweet 2-car garage TWO BLOCKS from my house where they tinker with mopeds all the time! There were like 25 random assortment mopeds in there with motors half apart and everything. They even invited me to get tacos with them, which I did, and they seem really cool and knowledgeable about peds. (My inexplicable obsession in life...)

I also was out walking my dog one day and saw a guy with a CB750 motor in the back of a van, so I talked to him, turns out he's an ER doctor who's opening up a small shop as a place for him to build custom bikes and do metal fabrication and just tinker with stuff. He said I am totally welcome to hang out and learn to weld and do some machining stuff and build bikes and use tools! He's having an opening party thing on Saturday.

Cool things happened as soon as I stopped sitting at home and just left my house and talked to people. Some of this stuff has been here all along and some is new, but it's really been worth putting the effort into actively finding opportunities and showing up and leaving my house.

So I just wanted to say, if you're feeling stuck or frustrated, GO OUTSIDE and talk to people!! You never know where it might take you!
I went to a Chinese restaurant recently and got my good ol' fortune cookie. Normally the little slip of paper with the fortune or proverb on it gets cleaned-up with the dirty plates and napkins. I kept this one;

"Wise men make more opportunities than they find."

Congratulations Katie! Now just don't muck it up by getting married.

Bill

Old February 8th, 2018, 11:08 AM   #158
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Great job! Robotics sounds like something I'd like to do, maybe it's time for a career change...

Old February 8th, 2018, 05:25 PM   #159
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

So far this is my favorite part of your job search story. Glad it all turned out!

Old February 8th, 2018, 06:24 PM   #160
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
That's really exciting!