ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 9th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Your input please on a SMALL dualsport - UPDATE - founds a Sherpa - pics inside!

Im fairly certain my next bike is going to be a small dualsport. Now before you reply to this, please make sure to read what Im writing and understand what Im getting at. Anyway, I've narrowed the list down to three bikes in order of preference:

I.) Suzuki DR200se
II.) Honda CR230L
III.) Yamaha XT225 / XT250

unlikely other options:

IV.)Suzuki DR650 - seat height from 33 -35 inches but siginficantly larger than the DR200se
V.) Kawasaki KLX 250S - comfortable, but 35 in seat height makes this hard ot consider

What I mainly want the bike for is city street riding, maybe some longer rides on country roads, basically light commuting. I know this type of bike is not well suited to the highway, but I would like to be able to make an occasional short highway jaunt at 60-70mph speeds.

One of my main considerations is weight and size. I love the fact that these bikes are sub 300 lbs and are no more than 32 inches in seat height. Im not physically small, 5'10 225lbs, but bigger dual sports such as the XR650L or the KLR650 or even the DRZ400 are out of the running - they are both way too tall for my comfort and a bit heavier than I want.

Now with that being said, I know the bikes listed are small displacement thumpers that put out 15-20 hp. My main question is: of the 3 listed above which would be the most condusive to performance modifications? Would it be possible to get any of the above bikes to 25-30hp and still keep it reliable? Lastly, is there a type of bike Im overlooking?

Please dont recommend, bigger dual sports as Im not interested in those.

If you've ridden any of the above bikes, please tell me about it.

Last futzed with by Too40gawlf; June 6th, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #2
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

@ 225 lb. You're a likely candidate for suspension tuning once you get any bike.

Ever consider the Kawasaki Sherpa? probably lower seat height (& lighter) than the rest.

I've had an XT before.. a bit heavy for its engine size..

DR200's got drum brake..
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #3
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

I have an XT225 and absolutely love it.

It's absolutely fantastic for the type of riding you mention ("city street riding, maybe some longer rides on country roads, basically light commuting"). Obviously it's also great on dirt roads.

I've maxed out the speedo a few times (~80mph) -- it's not really what I'd consider comfortable, but it's doable. I get awfully sick of being on the interstate on the XT after about 30 miles but as long as you're not expecting a lot of acceleration power, it's really not that bad.

I put a windscreen on my XT, which makes it a very capable all-day bike. I rode mine from SF to Seattle in 4 days (all back roads with some off-roading) and it was an absolute blast.

I haven't personally done any performance mods to mine, but I know that a lot of peeps at xt225.com have. I doubt they've been able to get to 25-30hp but if you poke around that website, you'll see a lot of mods that people have done.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions about it; it really is a fantastic bike.

Old May 9th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #4
nebraskan
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

i used to have an xt225 and it was a blast. great for city riding and doing some offroading. i had some pretty hard crashes on that thing and could always pick it up and drive off. and by the way i'mi 6'2" 225

Old May 9th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #5
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
@ 225 lb. You're a likely candidate for suspension tuning once you get any bike.

Ever consider the Kawasaki Sherpa? probably lower seat height (& lighter) than the rest.

I've had an XT before.. a bit heavy for its engine size..

DR200's got drum brake..
I like just about everything about the Sherpa except for the ugly front fender. It just looks like it needs to be up higher and the low look really ruins the bike for me. I know, petty, but it is what it is.

Old May 9th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #6
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
I have an XT225 and absolutely love it.

It's absolutely fantastic for the type of riding you mention ("city street riding, maybe some longer rides on country roads, basically light commuting"). Obviously it's also great on dirt roads.

I've maxed out the speedo a few times (~80mph) -- it's not really what I'd consider comfortable, but it's doable. I get awfully sick of being on the interstate on the XT after about 30 miles but as long as you're not expecting a lot of acceleration power, it's really not that bad.

I put a windscreen on my XT, which makes it a very capable all-day bike. I rode mine from SF to Seattle in 4 days (all back roads with some off-roading) and it was an absolute blast.

I haven't personally done any performance mods to mine, but I know that a lot of peeps at xt225.com have. I doubt they've been able to get to 25-30hp but if you poke around that website, you'll see a lot of mods that people have done.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions about it; it really is a fantastic bike.
Very cool, Thanks. Yeah, I know, 25-30 might be too much of a stretch, but like most bikes, I hear these guys come very lean from the factory and with a constrictive exhuast which when opened up makes the bike a lot more peppy.

Old May 9th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #7
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

That's true, they're VERY lean stock.

Old May 9th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #8
kkim

all the bikes mentioned are good choices! are you looking for new or used? if used, how about a kawi klr250? or a suzuki dr250s? honda xr250L?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #9
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
all the bikes mentioned are good choices! are you looking for new or used? if used, how about a kawi klr250? or a suzuki dr250s? honda xr250L?
Im leaning toward used. The other thing that I forgot to mention is that I want electric start. I think the 3 that you mentioned are kick start only, though I could be wrong.

Old May 9th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #10
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebraskan View Post
i used to have an xt225 and it was a blast. great for city riding and doing some offroading. i had some pretty hard crashes on that thing and could always pick it up and drive off. and by the way i'mi 6'2" 225
Well John, thats good to hear. I hope that I can avoid the part about the hard crashes though.

Old May 9th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #11
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too40gawlf View Post
I like just about everything about the Sherpa except for the ugly front fender. It just looks like it needs to be up higher and the low look really ruins the bike for me. I know, petty, but it is what it is.
Cosmetic fix that is easily done.. yet you overlook the rest of its capabilities?

is this what you might look like on a Sherpa?

Old May 9th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #12
kkim

Quote:
Im leaning toward used. The other thing that I forgot to mention is that I want electric start. I think the 3 that you mentioned are kick start only, though I could be wrong.
I believe a few of the Suzuki's were electric start.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #13
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Correct me if i'm wrong but isnt 250cc the minimum to be highway/freeway legal?
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #14
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Cosmetic fix that is easily done.. yet you overlook the rest of its capabilities?

is this what you might look like on a Sherpa?

Awesome! Thanks for highlighting that. Makes me take a whole new look at the Super Sherpa - which by far has the coolest name of any of the bikes Im considering.

And no. Im not quite as hefty as 'Ole Boy on that bike - although I probably see myself as a lot more dashing and svelte than I really am.

Old May 9th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #15
kawboyCAFE
im a NinFo!....

Name: 00000000000

Motorcycle(s): 00000000000000000

i would have to suggest the kawasaki super sherpa 250. if you can find one cheap enough that is.
kawboyCAFE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #16
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong but isnt 250cc the minimum to be highway/freeway legal?
It may vary state to state (I've never looked) but in California, it's 150cc.

Old May 9th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #17
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
It may vary state to state (I've never looked) but in California, it's 150cc.
Seriously? I'd be terrified to go on the freeway with only a 150cc bike. It's already the top end of the 250cc's power on the freeway. I cant imagine cruising with something less powerful. Probably get run over by a F150's wind tunnel.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #18
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Bike-less, Can I ride yours?

I know you didn't list it but I think the wr250x is the best looking dual sport bike.
kingkang204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #19
LegB4Wicket
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I was taught to ride on the Yamaha XT250. It was great in the city and could do short spells on the highway. The bike was exceptionally light and had fairly decent suspension. I would recommend it.

In Brazil, Yamaha's come out with a Tenere version. I really hope they consider it for Canada. I'm also thinking about a dual sport to take advantage of the many logging roads on Vancouver Island. Except for the Suzuki DR650, most of the mid-size dual sports are huge and the 250cc bikes have tiny fuel tanks and limited range.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...enere%2011.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL-ox...layer_embedded

Last futzed with by LegB4Wicket; May 9th, 2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Added YouTube link
LegB4Wicket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #20
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Seriously? I'd be terrified to go on the freeway with only a 150cc bike. It's already the top end of the 250cc's power on the freeway. I cant imagine cruising with something less powerful. Probably get run over by a F150's wind tunnel.
Yep, <149cc is considered a "motor-driven cycle". http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/motors.html

The XT on the freeway can occasionally be exhilarating for all the wrong reasons. The Ninja has tons of get up 'n' go compared to the XT's 17hp. But if I stay in the right lane* and stay away from really short merge lanes, it's generally OK.

* the depressing part is when I pass people on the freeway on the XT. Dude, I'm on a single cylinder 225cc with 17 horsepower! Drive your damn car!

Old May 10th, 2011, 01:08 AM   #21
dyeforever
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 04 250r(sold), 09 250r(sold), 07 CRF450x, 07 sv650(sold)

What about a wr250x or even a plated crf250x or crf450x? I ride a 07 crf450x. I'm 5'10" 150lbs with full gear. the seat height is a little on the high side, at 36", but i don't mind it. my bike weigh in at 260lbs, very easy to move around. Just be observant when you stop if you are stopping on a angle.
dyeforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 06:45 AM   #22
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Check out the Yamaha TW200 and their site tw200forum.com. I got one a few months ago and it's really a nice little bike. Not meant for 60-70 highway (60mph OK) but perfect for city driving and very capable offroad if you want to do that. Gets about 80-90 mpg, very reliable, older ones had kickstarters in addition to electric, hold their value very well. Comes standard with big knobby tires but there are also others more suitable for the road with offroad capabilities as well. Very supportive and knowledgeable forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TW on the beach.jpg (107.1 KB, 0 views)
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #23
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkang204 View Post
I know you didn't list it but I think the wr250x is the best looking dual sport bike.
Yeah, its a gorgeous bike, but its too tall for what im looking for and costs more than I want to pay for a 250 dual sport.

Old May 10th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #24
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
Check out the Yamaha TW200 and their site tw200forum.com. I got one a few months ago and it's really a nice little bike. Not meant for 60-70 highway (60mph OK) but perfect for city driving and very capable offroad if you want to do that. Gets about 80-90 mpg, very reliable, older ones had kickstarters in addition to electric, hold their value very well. Comes standard with big knobby tires but there are also others more suitable for the road with offroad capabilities as well. Very supportive and knowledgeable forum.
I'm aware of the TW200, but I dont like the aesthetics.

Old May 10th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #25
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyeforever View Post
What about a wr250x or even a plated crf250x or crf450x? I ride a 07 crf450x. I'm 5'10" 150lbs with full gear. the seat height is a little on the high side, at 36", but i don't mind it. my bike weigh in at 260lbs, very easy to move around. Just be observant when you stop if you are stopping on a angle.
Good suggestions, but Im trying to avoid the hassle of plating a dirt bike. Im sure the dirt bikes are set up for dirt primarily. What Im looking for is something thats primarily streetable with the capability to go off concrete if the need arises.

Old May 10th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #26
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Good suggestions, but Im trying to avoid the hassle of plating a dirt bike. Im sure the dirt bikes are set up for dirt primarily. What Im looking for is something thats primarily streetable with the capability to go off concrete if the need arises.
IME, having plated XR650R, WR450F, WR250F in the past.. and currently KLX300, they make excellent off-road/supermotard rides, but narrow seat combined with smaller oil capacity, they make short riding/servicing intervals. WR250X or R are way too expensive IMO, especially for a 250cc engine.
I'm used to riding racing bicycle saddles, but with the high engine rev on highway riding, even I find the seat/handlebar vibe much intrusive for any amount of extended highway.
The additional suspension may be great for dirt riding at speed, but at tame speeds they are overkill. Climbing on and off the bike will likely be a hassle for 225 lb.

Old May 12th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #27
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

A,

I called the guy you PMed me about and he's not budging off the price. But I offered him $400 less than what he was asking for and told him to call me back if he changed his mind. I think that particular bike is worth no more than what I offered, considereing the tires on there are the stock 10 year old ones and I gotta drive 260 miles round trip to lug the bike back.

There's another guy much closer to me with an 09 for a reasonable price, but the newer ones dont come with the gold rims that look just so cool.

Anyway, point is Im going to go with the Super Sherpa over the DR200se and the XT-225. The Sherpa's got 6 gears and disc brakes which are very apprealling. As you said, the fender mod looks pretty easy to do, so I think Ill be very happy with the Sherpa if I end up getting it.

Old May 12th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #28
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Awesome! I don't think you can go wrong with any of those bikes.

Old May 12th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #29
"A"
vampire

Cool

Quote:
A,

I called the guy you PMed me about and he's not budging off the price. But I offered him $400 less than what he was asking for and told him to call me back if he changed his mind. I think that particular bike is worth no more than what I offered, considereing the tires on there are the stock 10 year old ones and I gotta drive 260 miles round trip to lug the bike back.

There's another guy much closer to me with an 09 for a reasonable price, but the newer ones dont come with the gold rims that look just so cool.

Anyway, point is Im going to go with the Super Sherpa over the DR200se and the XT-225. The Sherpa's got 6 gears and disc brakes which are very apprealling. As you said, the fender mod looks pretty easy to do, so I think Ill be very happy with the Sherpa if I end up getting it.
Nothing more convincing than showing up with cash in hand.. more room to negotiate when you show up and look at the bike in person.

Usually, sellers are less likely to refuse an offer in person. I point out all the little things I see to the owner, tires/brake pad/rotors, little dents in tank, slight bent handlebar, small cracks in plastics.. all that make more convincing for my offer. Take a test ride and tell them how I feel about the bike they are selling. Relate to them on a personal level, get more bonding then go in with a killer offer.

Good luck huntin'

Old May 12th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #30
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Nothing more convincing than showing up with cash in hand.. more room to negotiate when you show up and look at the bike in person.

Usually, sellers are less likely to refuse an offer in person. I point out all the little things I see to the owner, tires/brake pad/rotors, little dents in tank, slight bent handlebar, small cracks in plastics.. all that make more convincing for my offer. Take a test ride and tell them how I feel about the bike they are selling. Relate to them on a personal level, get more bonding then go in with a killer offer.

Good luck huntin'
Agree with you 100%. With local sellers this is my strategy. But if Im driving hours, I want to know there will be no issue with price. Otherwise, the seller knows Im going to have to hand over additional $$$ or drive hours back home steaming from a wasted day's time and gas.

Old May 12th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #31
"A"
vampire

Cool

That's the thing.. my small pickup truck gets decent fuel econ., 3 hour drive one-way I can usually make it there and back in one tank.

I'm always prompt or early for agreed time for meeting with the seller. Being prompt and react early to a posted ad is very important to demonstrate you sincere about you offer. I'm usually pretty confident of my haggling skills in person. I offer a price and leave myself room to up the offer or meet the seller 1/2 way. But if seller is still unwilling to meet me 1/2 way, always willing to walk away.

Never once have I been refused when I show them the cash.

Last futzed with by "A"; May 12th, 2011 at 03:20 PM.

Old May 13th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #32
"A"
vampire

One thing I heard about the negative of going with high front fender on the Sherpa is it may effect handling at highway speed.

I assume that the lightweight nature of the Sherpa combined with the high front fender 'sail effect' can affect handling at highway speed when gusty condition is present.

Personally, I have no problem with OEM fender setup as long as it doesn't clog up with mud. Looks of it doesn't bother me since I don't see it when I ride. It's all about the ride for me.

Old May 13th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #33
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
One thing I heard about the negative of going with high front fender on the Sherpa is it may effect handling at highway speed.

I assume that the lightweight nature of the Sherpa combined with the high front fender 'sail effect' can affect handling at highway speed when gusty condition is present.
That happens with my XT, too. Kinda unnerving the first time.

Old May 13th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #34
dyeforever
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Personally, I have no problem with OEM fender setup as long as it doesn't clog up with mud. Looks of it doesn't bother me since I don't see it when I ride. It's all about the ride for me.
also had this happen on my 450. at first i was going to get a steering stabilizer to stop it, but just adjust my riding habit for it. never happens anymore.

Old May 14th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #35
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I'm not a dual-sport fan. I think they suck on the street (to slow) and suck on the dirt (to heavy). The suspension sucks for either application also.

Old May 14th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #36
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I'm not a dual-sport fan. I think they suck on the street (to slow) and suck on the dirt (to heavy). The suspension sucks for either application also.
It all depends on what you want to do with the bike.

When I rode cross-country in 2008, I took my F650GS. I wanted to stay off the interstates anyway, so it didn't matter that I couldn't go much over 100mph (and, um, I don't generally ride those speeds even on the interstate ). From the dirt perspective, I was alone and on a long trip and so I wasn't going to hit anything terribly technical anyway. But I was still able to find some amazing dirt farm roads and saw bison, tarantulas, burros, armadillos, alligators, wild horses, and some great camping/scenery that I wouldn't have felt comfortable bringing a streetbike to.

Obviously if you want to win a speed race or do tabletops/moguls, you're going to want a dedicated machine. But if you're out to see some neat stuff and take it easy on both the speed and the super technical off roading, a dualsport can really bring a lot of smiles.

Old May 14th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #37
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Maybe you view it as your duty as a 'postwhore', but I think your posts are mostly negative & condescending about others.. if you don't have anything nice to say you don't have to post anything just to be annoying.

This Sherpa was on eBay last month, I think the round headlight conversion looks nice:

Old May 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #38
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Maybe you view it as your duty as a 'postwhore', but I think your posts are mostly negative & condescending about others.. if you don't have anything nice to say you don't have to post anything just to be annoying.
Thanks for your opinion. I'll keep it in mind when I post my opinion.

Old May 14th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #39
dyeforever
ninjette.org member

Quote:
i dunno buddy. my crf450 is considered a dual sport and i kill street bikes up to 70 and can rip it up off road.

back to topic. the tw200 looks like a great choice, low seat height, good support, easy to work on, and great mpg. makes me want to get one now.

Old June 4th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #40
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Thanks all on the input. Most thanks to you A for opening up my eyes and getting me to reconsider the Sherpa. After a few weeks of hunting - I found an 09 Sherpa nearby and snatched it up! Looks to be in fantastic condition and it only had 570 miles on it. I rode 70 miles home on it, with a good portion of it being the highway and got used to the bike pretty well by the time I got home. She only set me back $2800, which I think is a fairly good deal for a practically brand new Sherpa.

I will work on getting pics up tomorrow and will be hunting for a place to buy a 'high' fender online. Thanks again guys! Your input was very much appreciated.