ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old February 7th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #41
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ichiro

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r(sold). 2013 Kymco Super8 150

As some have said, flashing your lights can have different meanings depending on where you live. Although I just recently moved back to So. Cal., growing up here, I always understood that flashing your lights conveyed the message to the other driver to "Please go ahead." In Thailand and in some other parts of the world, it means "Get the F**k out of my way 'cause I'm coming through."
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #42
harlumjp
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Totaled 2010 Ninja 250r :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinorbit View Post
Like everyone says, you cannot trust eye contact at all. For my own safely, I will always ride defensively with two assumptions about other drivers: they are not aware of my presence and they will do the wrong thing regardless. All it takes is a cell-phone conversation, impatience, compromised emotional state, or plain disregard or ignorance of the traffic rules, and I see all those things on the road everyday.
I absolutely agree with you 100% on this. The problem is, when out there riding to keep this in mind the whole time it takes a big mental effort on the part of the rider. None of us are perfect, and I'm sure many can attest to close calls where their judgment slipped. Some go down, some don't and that's riding I guess.
harlumjp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #43
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

damn dude..sorry to hear of the crash. yeah they all out there to get us...becareful.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2011, 04:03 AM   #44
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
(duplicate post deleted, now with cool attached image)
Attached Images
File Type: gif HurtSmiley.gif (14.3 KB, 257 views)

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #45
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Well done wearing good protective gear! I hope this doesn't dissuade you from riding, after all you've got your accident out of the way now, have learned a thing or two, and proven that ATGATT really works. You're probably even going to add knee guards in the future, so you've got that going for you, too. Things are looking up, hope you get yourself a new ninjette! (Those new white special editions are sweet . . .)

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #46
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Sorry about the crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250
Whenever I am approaching another vehicle who can violate my right of way I always weave side to side within my lane so the single dot fo the headlight is no longer a "stationary" object. I also get off the gas and cover the clutch and brake.
Great advice.

I do this all the time - I initiate a slight weave/wiggle in my lane, reduce speed, and cover the controls. I also play the worst case game. I assume that the other driver(s) is going to do the worst thing possible and be ready for it.

Old February 8th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #47
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Name: darius

Motorcycle(s): 2000 250 sold; 2005 636 sold. BIKELESS IN ATLANTA

Sorry to hear about your accident, but excited that you weren't seriously hurt. Picture #6 scared me, for some reason I thought that was your elbow.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #48
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Only after you are 100% sure you're going to be able to clear the obstacle, then worry about the horn to signal your, umm, "displeasure" in the silly choices other drivers make on the road.
I agree with Alex here as well, I found myself doing the oposite, but yeah, you need to use those first few seconds to get yourself out of harm's way, hope you get back on soon!
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #49
harlumjp
ninjette.org member

UPDATE: Bike is totaled according to Mission Motorsports in Irvine....the frame is bent by the cowl. Now waiting to hear from my insurance adjuster and gettin myself an attorney...still in back pain and leg still swollen :/ need MRI results...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Well done wearing good protective gear! I hope this doesn't dissuade you from riding, after all you've got your accident out of the way now, have learned a thing or two, and proven that ATGATT really works. You're probably even going to add knee guards in the future, so you've got that going for you, too. Things are looking up, hope you get yourself a new ninjette! (Those new white special editions are sweet . . .)
Thanks for the comments.
!! My heart started racing when you said new WHITE ones, me and my wife both wanted a white one originally but obviously it wasn't an option for 2010......sh*t makes me want to ride again.

Old February 8th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #50
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Name: Joon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Did someone say white special edition...

I haven't seen another one in OC yet. Picture yourself on this to pass the time recovering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110110_112026.jpg (127.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110113_105048.jpg (137.2 KB, 13 views)
bluesinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 02:02 AM   #51
harlumjp
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinorbit View Post
Did someone say white special edition...

I haven't seen another one in OC yet. Picture yourself on this to pass the time recovering.
Very nice!! I will do just that for the next few months (or year+ ugh). Since the bike is totaled I'm gonna need the cash from the insurance payout to cover my bills while I'm not working! Then gotta wait probably 6+ months to get my claim settled for the injury.......might be a minute.

Oh yeah forgot add to that I got my MRI results and they said I have a fracture in my knee/tibia area. GREAT.

Old July 29th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #52
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
So how's it going?

Old July 30th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #53
harlumjp
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
So how's it going?
Hey Nick thanks for checking in. So since the OP I had meniscus (right knee) surgery in April. I've been doing physical therapy since, but my muscles in my leg got bad atrophy during the time I was on crutches for 3 months after the crash...So my recovery has been slow. I'm still not even able to run, I get shooting pains in my knee when squatting or putting too much weight on it...
Luckily was able to land a job that only requires sitting...but other than that I'm just trying to get my right leg strength back.

Word of wisdom to riders out there: wear as much gear as you can/are willing to. Luckily I had everything on but knee pads and that's why I'm still recovering over 6 months since the crash. Imagine if I wasn't wearing what I was...

Old July 30th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #54
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlumjp View Post
Hey Nick thanks for checking in. So since the OP I had meniscus (right knee) surgery in April. I've been doing physical therapy since, but my muscles in my leg got bad atrophy during the time I was on crutches for 3 months after the crash...So my recovery has been slow. I'm still not even able to run, I get shooting pains in my knee when squatting or putting too much weight on it...
Luckily was able to land a job that only requires sitting...but other than that I'm just trying to get my right leg strength back.

Word of wisdom to riders out there: wear as much gear as you can/are willing to. Luckily I had everything on but knee pads and that's why I'm still recovering over 6 months since the crash. Imagine if I wasn't wearing what I was...
I'm sorry to hear about this. I'm glad that you are healing though! Also, I just noticed there is a dog on your motorcycle in the avatar...after looking at it 30 times. Also, I forgot what OP means?

Old July 31st, 2011, 04:18 PM   #55
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

Im guessing chances are the other driver was found at fault and payign for repairs?
If so then just have it repaired to original quality or better.

If not then grab a breaker bar to bend stuff and a drill and zipties.
Make a small hole on either side of crack about 1/4" from it, then pull a ziptie through from the underside and back through.
It makes zip stitches and it works great.
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 05:08 PM   #56
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
In my opinion I think the bike might be totaled unless he's already said the damage and I missed it. If not totaled maybe the frame is damaged or fork.

Old July 31st, 2011, 06:33 PM   #57
harlumjp
ninjette.org member

OP= original post.

Yup, the frame was bent and bike totaled. Police report has indicated that the driver of the car was at fault and should be cited for failing to yield to traffic. All my medical expenses, lost wages, etc will be covered from the other guy's insurance company. Got a good lawyer to make sure I get everything I can out of this situation...but I sure wish as hell I was still riding...owned my 250 for 7 months...and now have been off of it for 6 months. Life goes on though.

Old July 31st, 2011, 06:49 PM   #58
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
OP= original post.
Actually OP usually means original poster

or in WoW OP = over powered lol

Anyways, keep up the PT and heal up, you can always get another bike in the future, you only have 1 body.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 07:04 PM   #59
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
OP= original post.

Yup, the frame was bent and bike totaled. Police report has indicated that the driver of the car was at fault and should be cited for failing to yield to traffic. All my medical expenses, lost wages, etc will be covered from the other guy's insurance company. Got a good lawyer to make sure I get everything I can out of this situation...but I sure wish as hell I was still riding...owned my 250 for 7 months...and now have been off of it for 6 months. Life goes on though.
Be thankful the cager actually stopped. A lot of them don't. "Hey it was just a little bump, he couldn't be hurt that bad."

Old July 31st, 2011, 07:22 PM   #60
Dr. Ew
Yoshi

Name: Dr. Ew

Motorcycle(s): 11 Ninja 250

hope all goes well with PT. planning to get back on 2 wheels? sorry if i missed if you answered that in previous post.
Dr. Ew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 07:40 PM   #61
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
OP= original post.

Are you planning to start riding again?

Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:21 AM   #62
harlumjp
ninjette.org member

Yep- I'm definitely thankful the guy actually stopped and that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I do want to ride again in the future, I definitely found out how much I loved riding by not riding for these months.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:33 AM   #63
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Cool

Quote:
Yep- I'm definitely thankful the guy actually stopped and that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I do want to ride again in the future, I definitely found out how much I loved riding by not riding for these months.
I'm glad your still riding. I'm sorry that your out of commission. Heal up quick

Old August 9th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #64
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

I have a neat tool installed on my bike for this situation, albeit an illegal one lol
The gsxr has a pass switch on the left bar that flashes your high beams. I wired this up to control a pretty serious strobe light. If I get the feeling I'm not seen, or someone wants to pull some old man nonsense like this, I hit the pass switch and it lights up in front of me, and both sides of me like a police parade lol. Just don't do it when a cops around!

I can honestly say that as far as "attention getters" go, these strobes are the best idea ever, they're more noticeable then a horn, and don't entice drivers to go like flashing highbeams, rather they scream "stay exactly where you are!"
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #65
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I hope you have a speedy recovery and get compensated for you loss. Be careful everyone.

Old September 6th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #66
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Sorry to hear about your crash. Pretty late in thread but what boots were you wearing?
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #67
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

First off, best wishes for a fast(er) recovery!

Secondly, on alerting others:

Quote:
I initiate a slight weave/wiggle in my lane, reduce speed, and cover the controls.
I've had the best luck with this. For the older driver, depth perception goes south; and I swear our society's spending 80% of its day starting at a screen is ruining everyone else's :0

In any case, an object moving laterally across the viewer's field of vision gets seen; an object, especially a small object, moving straight at the viewer does not. The viewer may see it but won't gauge its approach rate or proximity.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #68
harlumjp
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
Sorry to hear about your crash. Pretty late in thread but what boots were you wearing?
Sidi

Old September 8th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #69
itsa250bro
ninjette.org member

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 CP Blue

Sorry to hear about your accident - hope you are feeling better and thanks for sharing.

I use the "slight weave/wiggle" techique too - seems to work but... there is no way to really know.

I love the strobe light idea - I'm going to look into doing this too. I don't see how the police could give you a hard time with it as long as you don't abuse it.

A tip my Grandfather gave me - that applies to this situation is to "look at the tires" of the car. You will notice the tires moving a good 1/2 second or more quicker than you will notice the whole car moving - this really works well - especially if the car is doing a rolling stop - you'll know if they are completely stopped or not.
itsa250bro is offline   Reply With Quote