Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 16th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #41
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
It will if you don't own a car, like I me for almost 4 years.
Or if you commute over 82 miles a day, 5 days a week (minimum), to a school that charges way too much for parking.

That said, you should NOT get into it just to save money.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #42
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

In terms of money, that is not the reason I want to start riding. Of course it is a bonus factor up to a point but it is not the SOLE reason why I want to ride.
IdRatherDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #43
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I started riding right after I got married.

I defused any argument by having my wife take the MSF class with me. Worked like a charm. She's never given me a hard time.

Try it. Get your parents to take the class with you. They can… it's easy, fun and safe, and a great way to bond the family. (When I say "safe" I mean that the first time the motorcycle moves you're literally walking it across to the parking lot, and you never go more than a fast bicycle riding pace… like 20-25 mph.)

When they see and experience what safe riding is, they're more likely to approve.

It'll also give them a chance to see you in action. The better you do and the more seriously you take it, the more seriously they'll take you.

Plus they'll have a chance to talk to the instructors, who are all veterans and quite possibly their age.

You might also set it up as "I want to find out first-hand what this is all about and I want you to do it with me. Then we can decide together." Openness, honesty, engagement and a willingness to see the other side ALWAYS wins over confrontation and argument. Just look at our government to see how NOT to do it.

Too much crap happens in families because the kids are dead-set on doing something risky and the parents are dead-set on protecting them.

Look, being a good parent is all about protecting your child. It is VERY hard to argue against that, no matter how sound your reasoning is. Your parents will be scared out of their wits the moment they see you ride away, no matter how responsible you are. Believe it.

So don't make it a fight. Make it an adventure and a shared experience. Take pictures. Poke fun. Make stories you'll tell for years to come.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #44
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I started riding right after I got married.

I defused any argument by having my wife take the MSF class with me. Worked like a charm. She's never given me a hard time.

Try it. Get your parents to take the class with you. They can… it's easy, fun and safe, and a great way to bond the family. (When I say "safe" I mean that the first time the motorcycle moves you're literally walking it across to the parking lot, and you never go more than a fast bicycle riding pace… like 20-25 mph.)

When they see and experience what safe riding is, they're more likely to approve.

It'll also give them a chance to see you in action. The better you do and the more seriously you take it, the more seriously they'll take you.

Plus they'll have a chance to talk to the instructors, who are all veterans and quite possibly their age.

You might also set it up as "I want to find out first-hand what this is all about and I want you to do it with me. Then we can decide together." Openness, honesty, engagement and a willingness to see the other side ALWAYS wins over confrontation and argument. Just look at our government to see how NOT to do it.

Too much crap happens in families because the kids are dead-set on doing something risky and the parents are dead-set on protecting them.

Look, being a good parent is all about protecting your child. It is VERY hard to argue against that, no matter how sound your reasoning is. Your parents will be scared out of their wits the moment they see you ride away, no matter how responsible you are. Believe it.

So don't make it a fight. Make it an adventure and a shared experience. Take pictures. Poke fun. Make stories you'll tell for years to come.
Sounds like a good idea. But I just can't see my parents ever getting onto a motorcycle.

Old February 16th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #45
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
It's like pooping yourself in school, no one forgets dude. <3
Aw, personal story, dear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
I would start on dirt bikes and track days to gain skills while commuting in a car.
This way you can learn to ride while getting street experience.
This! My guess is your parents will be much more comfortable with dirt bikes. They'll get more used to the idea of motorcycles being a part of your life and you'd gain really valuable skills before you then take the next step to a 250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjoe View Post
I know a few people that LOVED bikes, went out and bought one, and realized it just wasn't for them. They weren't ready to accept the risks involved and just weren't comfortable.

Another great reason to take the MSF. You'll at least get a taste of whether you like being on two wheels or not.
This too. Taking the class will give you a taste to see if it really is something you want. It could "cure" you of your obsession, or it could confirm it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 16th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #46
KillerTofu
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675

My Dad had a Suzuki GSX-R750 when I was 15 and I thought it was the most amazing piece of machinery I've ever seen. Like you I drooled over every motorcycle I saw and it killed me because I wanted one so bad. He ended up low siding it on a left turn because of a patch of oil in the middle of the intersection. He didn't get hurt...but my Mom told him he had to sell it. I forgot about motorcycles for a while...got my drivers license...got my hand me down 1994 Honda Accord and flipped it and rolled it down a hill the same year. Didn't get hurt but my parents were so mad they got me a busted old rusty 1988 Volkswagen. I guess I was too reckless. I moved on.

I started to want a motorcycle again when I was 18 but my Mom said no...her house her rules...so I bought a pocket bike and rode that around the block to feed my desire. Moved on again.

The itch came back at 19 when one of my friends bought a Honda CBR600RR. I wanted one so bad! I got a call one night from another friend telling me that he died in a street race riding his motorcycle. I forced myself to forget about motorcycles.

I'm 27 now...I finished college, got a job, bought a house and car, got married, had a kid...and what do you know...the itch came back. With my own life, family, and career, I can now make decisions for myself without Mom telling me yes or no.

What I'm getting at is my love for motorcycles has always been there...no matter the experiences I had, good or bad, it's always been there. It will probably be the same for you. You shouldn't say you might never be able to ride one. You're 10 years younger than me. You have plenty of time. If your parents are giving you a hard time it's not worth making them upset at that age. You'd be surprised how much support they can provide you and by making them upset that support can just go out the window.

I grew up in California so I know what traffic is like there. I'd say it's a little more dangerous than other areas I've lived in. Like everyone in this thread said...you must accept the risks...even though everything is potentially dangerous, motorcycles are MORE dangerous than cars. Like CZroe said...give your parents a reason to trust you...it may take finishing school/getting a job to do it. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders doing your research and all that...so I wouldn't be surprised if your parents eventually trusted you with a Ninja 250/300 very soon. But, if they don't...just move on. You can always buy your bike later. Don't rush life...patience will bring you many good things.

WOW sorry for the short story...I just really feel what you're going through

Last futzed with by KillerTofu; February 17th, 2013 at 12:16 AM.
KillerTofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #47
80MPHdownhill
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Yes, please.

tell em you'll be taking riding lessons from jiggles, that should help put their minds at ease.
80MPHdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #48
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Name: Melashi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 StreetFighter ~~~~ 2005 KTM 450 EXC

Read all of it, its worth it

Ok, so i was in your exact same position earlier this year. Summer of 12-13 to be exact. I was barely 17 (Im still 17,may 30 my bday) and it was august. It was honestly something that was spontaneous. Ive always loved riding because of my uncle by my parents were ANTI-MOTORCYCLES. I have been riding my 4runner (car) for a year now and never got in a crash thank god. My parents know im responsible and not stupid but they did not trust others on the road and were always telling me "do you want to throw college soccer away?". Two things were bugging me and i also set up a big argument about all the positives and sh*t. But they always came back with one answer, "there is a chance you can crash and die". That bugged me for so long and i honestly didn't want to throw away senior year soccer with all the recruiting for a stupid motorcycle crash and regret it for the rest of my life.

What did i do? I bought a Chinese Trail bike Pantterra 125cc for ($700) and ran perfectly, which we both agreed on since no cars could crash into it because i was only going on dirt. So i bought some cheap gear and started to learn with my uncle. In one day i learned how to shift and clutch. After that i was gone, riding everyday in the dirt and on trails. I never laid it down or even came close to. Soon i started just riding in my neighborhood on the streets. Then it grew to were i would go to a quick stop shop for some Gatorade or anything to get me out on that bike. Sure it topped out at 55 mph but i felt like i was going 100000 mph.

So after about 3 months i went ahead and sold it thinking if anything happens to a Chinese bike its gone, so i resold it for $700 and started my search for a pregen ninja 250 (since they were cheaper) for like 1k. I knew they didnt look as nice as a new-gen but hey, i wasn't in the position to spend money since it was all my money and my parents would not put any money into it (since they disagreed). So one day after my school ended and i had 2 hours to spare before practice, i went online and checked craigslist. BOOM. A 2008 ninja 250 (new-gen) for 1k. Thing is, it was laid down and trashed. I mean duct tape and no fairings trashed. It only has 8,000 miles and runs perfect but looked like total sh*t. So i gave him a call, offered $700, and he said if you take it today then its yours.

Now heading there was 30 min. I couldn't ride it back since i have no street skills and no experience on a 250. So the man was nice enough to ride it back to my house and i gave him a ride back home. Keep in mind, my parents were at work when this all happened, i didn't call them to let them know or anything until after i bought it. Now when they came home, they weren't as mad as i thought they were going to be. See the secret here is that they were lured into my trap They were loosened up and more comfortable now that they saw me riding the dirt bike and got used to the fact that i ride motorcycles. So they got over it, i got my license with gear all in the next week with their money since they knew i was broke after buying it and didnt want me to ride with cheap dirt bike gear. The gear i bought is a teknic mercury leather jacket (300$) found brand new on Craigs for $100, Teknic gloves (50$), and IV2 (100$). All beginner gear, but alot better then what i had.

Since then i started working, getting my paycheck, and spending it straight on my bike. I spent all together with the cost of the bike $1700 and now its my dream 250 street fighter

My advice, get a dirt bike, learn on it, get your parents used to the idea. Sell it after a few months, and buy it with or without there permission. Belive me, they wont go crazy and its not like they can return it to the person you bought it from (unless buying from a dealer lol). Only thing i would recommend, get your license and gear before you buy the bike.

This is the link to the ninja 250 i bought earlier this year in October:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116585

Pics below are my from left to right:

Dirtbike (sold)

Ninja 250 (current)

(Future) Ducati 996
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0241.jpg (128.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0092.jpg (163.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0093.jpg (170.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0090.jpg (111.3 KB, 15 views)

Old February 17th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #49
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

To start, i'm 24 years old, i've rode 50cc scooters and stuff since I was 14 and my mum didn't much like it, but they are seen as little more than bicycles here, I decided I was fed up with getting dropped off and picked up from work by my mum at 23, it was fustrating after university where i'd gone from total freedom and abuse thereof, to having to live with your mum because the average house price is $777,000 and i'm broke for the next three years because I opted to pay all my university fee's in three years.

I couldn't get a car as my Clos has a one car per household rule. So, I went to the dealer and said "What's the biggest bike I can buy to take the CBT? He said "the biggest you can take a CBT on is a 250, this is a 250" I brought it then and there, they delivered it to my house then, and I think the first thing I said to my mum was "Surprise! Do you like it?" She went through the motions and then calmed down, total immersion is a good technique for parents.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #50
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

OH, just to throw this out there, too...

One of the reasons while street riding is so dangerous is the number of external influences that can f*** you up. You could be the most defensive, well-prepared and safe riding in the world, and still find yourself in a life threatening accident. I know personally it's THIS that makes my parents worry. And yes you can do a lot to reduce this external risk, you'll never be able to eliminate it.

I'm sure you know this by now, but it could be a big factor in your parents' reluctance, so you should be prepared for that.

Old February 17th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #51
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdRatherDrum View Post
In terms of money, that is not the reason I want to start riding. Of course it is a bonus factor up to a point but it is not the SOLE reason why I want to ride.
Chase,

Skilletmo's idea of starting with a dirt bike seems excellent to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletmo View Post
........My advice, get a dirt bike, learn on it, get your parents used to the idea........
As a parent, I would accept the lower level of risk associated to responsible off-road riding and I would help and support my son.

Training on dirt will give you priceless skills to later survive on the streets.

Please, @IdRatherDrum, watch this video with your parents:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110405
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #52
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerTofu View Post
My Dad had a Suzuki GSX-R750 when I was 15 and I thought it was the most amazing piece of machinery I've ever seen. Like you I drooled over every motorcycle I saw and it killed me because I wanted one so bad. He ended up low siding it on a left turn because of a patch of oil in the middle of the intersection. He didn't get hurt...but my Mom told him he had to sell it. I forgot about motorcycles for a while...got my drivers license...got my hand me down 1994 Honda Accord and flipped it and rolled it down a hill the same year. Didn't get hurt but my parents were so mad they got me a busted old rusty 1988 Volkswagen. I guess I was too reckless. I moved on.

I started to want a motorcycle again when I was 18 but my Mom said no...her house her rules...so I bought a pocket bike and rode that around the block to feed my desire. Moved on again.

The itch came back at 19 when one of my friends bought a Honda CBR600RR. I wanted one so bad! I got a call one night from another friend telling me that he died in a street race riding his motorcycle. I forced myself to forget about motorcycles.

I'm 27 now...I finished college, got a job, bought a house and car, got married, had a kid...and what do you know...the itch came back. With my own life, family, and career, I can now make decisions for myself without Mom telling me yes or no.

What I'm getting at is my love for motorcycles has always been there...no matter the experiences I had, good or bad, it's always been there. It will probably be the same for you. You shouldn't say you might never be able to ride one. You're 10 years younger than me. You have plenty of time. If your parents are giving you a hard time it's not worth making them upset at that age. You'd be surprised how much support they can provide you and by making them upset that support can just go out the window.

I grew up in California so I know what traffic is like there. I'd say it's a little more dangerous than other areas I've lived in. Like everyone in this thread said...you must accept the risks...even though everything is potentially dangerous, motorcycles are MORE dangerous than cars. Like CZroe said...give your parents a reason to trust you...it may take finishing school/getting a job to do it. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders doing your research and all that...so I wouldn't be surprised if your parents eventually trusted you with a Ninja 250/300 very soon. But, if they don't...just move on. You can always buy your bike later. Don't rush life...patience will bring you many good things.

WOW sorry for the short story...I just really feel what you're going through
I really appreciate the short story actually. Worth it for me to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletmo View Post
Read all of it, its worth it

Ok, so i was in your exact same position earlier this year. Summer of 12-13 to be exact. I was barely 17 (Im still 17,may 30 my bday) and it was august. It was honestly something that was spontaneous. Ive always loved riding because of my uncle by my parents were ANTI-MOTORCYCLES. I have been riding my 4runner (car) for a year now and never got in a crash thank god. My parents know im responsible and not stupid but they did not trust others on the road and were always telling me "do you want to throw college soccer away?". Two things were bugging me and i also set up a big argument about all the positives and sh*t. But they always came back with one answer, "there is a chance you can crash and die". That bugged me for so long and i honestly didn't want to throw away senior year soccer with all the recruiting for a stupid motorcycle crash and regret it for the rest of my life.

What did i do? I bought a Chinese Trail bike Pantterra 125cc for ($700) and ran perfectly, which we both agreed on since no cars could crash into it because i was only going on dirt. So i bought some cheap gear and started to learn with my uncle. In one day i learned how to shift and clutch. After that i was gone, riding everyday in the dirt and on trails. I never laid it down or even came close to. Soon i started just riding in my neighborhood on the streets. Then it grew to were i would go to a quick stop shop for some Gatorade or anything to get me out on that bike. Sure it topped out at 55 mph but i felt like i was going 100000 mph.

So after about 3 months i went ahead and sold it thinking if anything happens to a Chinese bike its gone, so i resold it for $700 and started my search for a pregen ninja 250 (since they were cheaper) for like 1k. I knew they didnt look as nice as a new-gen but hey, i wasn't in the position to spend money since it was all my money and my parents would not put any money into it (since they disagreed). So one day after my school ended and i had 2 hours to spare before practice, i went online and checked craigslist. BOOM. A 2008 ninja 250 (new-gen) for 1k. Thing is, it was laid down and trashed. I mean duct tape and no fairings trashed. It only has 8,000 miles and runs perfect but looked like total sh*t. So i gave him a call, offered $700, and he said if you take it today then its yours.

Now heading there was 30 min. I couldn't ride it back since i have no street skills and no experience on a 250. So the man was nice enough to ride it back to my house and i gave him a ride back home. Keep in mind, my parents were at work when this all happened, i didn't call them to let them know or anything until after i bought it. Now when they came home, they weren't as mad as i thought they were going to be. See the secret here is that they were lured into my trap They were loosened up and more comfortable now that they saw me riding the dirt bike and got used to the fact that i ride motorcycles. So they got over it, i got my license with gear all in the next week with their money since they knew i was broke after buying it and didnt want me to ride with cheap dirt bike gear. The gear i bought is a teknic mercury leather jacket (300$) found brand new on Craigs for $100, Teknic gloves (50$), and IV2 (100$). All beginner gear, but alot better then what i had.

Since then i started working, getting my paycheck, and spending it straight on my bike. I spent all together with the cost of the bike $1700 and now its my dream 250 street fighter

My advice, get a dirt bike, learn on it, get your parents used to the idea. Sell it after a few months, and buy it with or without there permission. Belive me, they wont go crazy and its not like they can return it to the person you bought it from (unless buying from a dealer lol). Only thing i would recommend, get your license and gear before you buy the bike.

This is the link to the ninja 250 i bought earlier this year in October:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116585

Pics below are my from left to right:

Dirtbike (sold)

Ninja 250 (current)

(Future) Ducati 996
I see why dirt bikes would be great to start problem is I know nothing about trails near me, what bike to get for my first bike, or even how to get the bike to the dirt. My mom has a prius and my dad has a lexus...no hauling a bike there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Chase,

Skilletmo's idea of starting with a dirt bike seems excellent to me.

As a parent, I would accept the lower level of risk associated to responsible off-road riding and I would help and support my son.

Training on dirt will give you priceless skills to later survive on the streets.

Please, @IdRatherDrum, watch this video with your parents:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110405
Thanks for the link man. I watched that video a few months back but am not sure I should actually show it to my parents. I haven't brought up getting a bike with them in months but my mom knows how obsessed I am with them.

Old February 18th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #53
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Just talk to your parents, discuss these things with them.

I am sure that your parents want the best for you; they just need being properly informed about the dangers and positives of what you want; they would love to learn from you what you are really passionate about.

This forum may help you locating local places to ride off-road and making local friends with similar interests:

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Old February 18th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #54
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Quote:
When/If I do take the MSF class I think I will want to get a Ninja after.
Please make it a WHEN you take the MSF, not IF you take the MSF. It might go a long way toward getting your folks to sign off on getting a bike too.

Oh and don't listen to Jiggles or Unregistered, they've wrecked more than anyone here!! <snicker>

Old February 18th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #55
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
Please make it a WHEN you take the MSF, not IF you take the MSF. It might go a long way toward getting your folks to sign off on getting a bike too.

Oh and don't listen to Jiggles or Unregistered, they've wrecked more than anyone here!! <snicker>
ALMOST got me!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #56
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Quote:

omg you sly person..i seriously was like, wait a second, i only crashed once!! hahaha then i saw the 'you' function!
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #57
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
ALMOST got me!
Ohhh I got ya alright!! The site emailed me your "gotcha" before you edited it!! LMFAO

Old February 18th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #58
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Ohhh I got ya alright!! The site emailed me your "gotcha" before you edited it!! LMFAO
Sort of. That's what I meant by "almost." I actually opened the quote in another tab just to see if it had the [ you ] function but forgot to look by the time I got to that tab. I remembered right as I posted that!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #59
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Just talk to your parents, discuss these things with them.

I am sure that your parents want the best for you; they just need being properly informed about the dangers and positives of what you want; they would love to learn from you what you are really passionate about.

This forum may help you locating local places to ride off-road and making local friends with similar interests:

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29
Thanks. What do you think is the best way to bring it up with them in a conversation?

Quote:

And what I meant by IF, is if my parents even allow it. Of course if I get a bike in the future then I will definitely take it no question.

Old February 18th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #60
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Thanks. What do you think is the best way to bring it up with them in a conversation?
You are welcome

Hard question; however, I would like my son telling me what you did write in the first half of your post #1.

It sounds perfectly natural and understandable, as well as your own doubt about motorcycling being your thing for life (that will give them hope about you finding out later that don't like riding bikes as much as you believe now).

Ask them for understanding and help, rather than the classic "I want this, I want that..."
Then offer your part of the effort (work, saving, research, paperwork, contacts, etc.) and your plan for testing the waters step by step: MSF course first (just money, don't need protective gear or a bike, course provides those), off-road riding using low c.c. beginner's bike, etc.

If they can see your determination, they will probably understand that it will be safer having you going through that learning process under their supervision than seeing you inexperienced when turning 18 and buying yourself a crotch rocket soon after.

Trust your parents' good judgement (they have managed surviving in this world longer than you) and trust your dreams and instincts.

My best !

Old February 18th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #61
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You are welcome

Hard question; however, I would like my son telling me what you did write in the first half of your post #1.

It sounds perfectly natural and understandable, as well as your own doubt about motorcycling being your thing for life (that will give them hope about you finding out later that don't like riding bikes as much as you believe now).

Ask them for understanding and help, rather than the classic "I want this, I want that..."
Then offer your part of the effort (work, saving, research, paperwork, contacts, etc.) and your plan for testing the waters step by step: MSF course first (just money, don't need protective gear or a bike, course provides those), off-road riding using low c.c. beginner's bike, etc.

If they can see your determination, they will probably understand that it will be safer having you going through that learning process under their supervision than seeing you inexperienced when turning 18 and buying yourself a crotch rocket soon after.

Trust your parents' good judgement (they have managed surviving in this world longer than you) and trust your dreams and instincts.

My best !
Thanks for the words of wisdom. It seems like every time you post I learn more haha. I will bring it up to them in a couple weeks. Super busy right now and there is no way that I could take the class in the coming month. So maybe it's a summer thing but it doesn't hurt to prepare.

Old February 25th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #62
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

I'm partial to getting a dirt bike first. My mom was dead set against a motorcycle for as long as I could remember. Even before I had ever seriously envisioned myself on a bike. I'd mention it in passing when I was 13 or 15 or 17 as something I'd "eventually" like to do. She'd still go nuts at the mention of it.

Even so I rode dirt bikes periodically since I was 7 and she never thought twice about it. I also raced BMX for 4 years so had a pretty fair (not great) base on two wheels. So after I was in college and safely out of the house I started seriously considering getting a motorcycle. I was 19 at the time, almost 20, and just started looking around on Craigslist. I'd also become all but financially independent at this point (thanks to a very rewarding internship). I think I browsed for 5 months until I pulled the trigger, reading this forum the whole time and gaining a ton of pre-riding advice, from riding skills to gear, and most importantly to take the MSF course.

I'll also say it was great advice to buy an already scratched bike as you'll probably drop it. I did, lightly on a slightly inclined gravel parking lot my first week out. Small scratches, but I wasn't near as mad about it as it already had a scratch and crack on that side.

Anyhow, before buying the bike I told my dad's house (parents split) that I was planning on getting one and went through all the safety precautions I was going to take. They were nervous still, but I laid it all out and signed up for the MSF. Took the course 2 weeks after I got the bike because I had to pre register some 2 months in advance. I still have yet to tell my mom and have had the bike since October. I'll probably reveal it sometime soon, but the point I'm driving at is that going against your parents now could really cause some friction. I'm 2 hours away from home and paying for my own rent, food, insurance, tuition etc. You're down the hall with mom still doing half your laundry for you. Difficult I know but that's just the way it is.

Wait until you are in college and somewhat removed from them; gauge their feelings about it then. In the meantime a dirt bike could be a great way to build skills, have fun, and put yourself in less danger. All while building your parents confidence in you without pissing them off. A final bonus; a dirt bike needs no insurance, you can drop it and not feel bad at all, it is usually cheaper to begin with, and dirt is (somewhat) softer than pavement. Oh and while you're at it, stay on here and gain as much knowledge you can. There's a lot to learn.

Good luck.

Old March 9th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #63
akcalhoun
ninjette.org member

Name: aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 honda shadow phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkh100 View Post
Yes that will be you someday.
obviously bcuz u did, and theres no way any1 cannot wreck or be more proficient at something than u
akcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #64
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I love how people plan all this stuff out, ya know, before ever even riding. Have you figured out your list of mods yet?
Would you rather he jump straight onto a zx6r or n650? He's starting the right way if his intention is to eventually get a bigger bike.

It's hard not to plan out your bike future when you can't even ride yet. I'm in the same boat, waiting for warmer weather/msf course in april. I bought my 250 in November because I knew I wanted to ride, and you can get better prices in the off season. But now I'm stuck waiting, posting on forums, watching vlogs, looking up bigger bikes, or sitting on the thing in my garage lol.
YamiLionheart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #65
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Yeah I am actually highly considering getting a pregen for my first bike. As much as I love the 08 body, the pregens might be cheaper.

Old March 11th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #66
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
It's like pooping yourself in school, no one forgets dude. <3
People don't forget!!

To the OP, I would recommend you start out first and foremost with the MSF course. Get that figured out and completed first and then start the process of looking and what not. Your parents will think your head is in the right frame of mind if you start out showing that you are making every attempt to be safe about riding a bike and not just cause they're cool and fast and loud and chicks will love them...all of those are true by the way

I started out with the MSF course before I even thought about buying or wanting a bike. I just took the class cause it was free and figured why not, might as well learn another useful skill. Then I started thinking about them more and more and eventually I got my 250. I still don't ride it as much as I'd like...it's a 2010 and it's only got 1200 miles on it.

Also, take the time to look through all of the bad videos and stories about them. Look at crashes, read the horror stories, and look at the pictures of what happens when it goes bad. You need to try and scare yourself away before you buy it then when you get it and waste all that money. Those are my recommendations, good luck, parents are easier to deal with when you think about the stuff they're going to say to you first and have an answer for them before they ask you those questions.

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #67
Slick_Stevo
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '13 GSX-R600, '09 Ninja 250, 04 SV 650 (track)

Quote:

wth...
Slick_Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #68
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
I see what you did there lol

For the record, I didn't wreck, I dropped the bike while walking it to a different parking spot

#KCCO

Old March 14th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #69
joshuajcrouch
ninjette.org member

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Wow. Lots of really good advice in here. I also agree to WAIT and respect your parent's opinion no matter how hard it is to do in the moment.

For whatever its worth, I would have given my left nut for a motorcycle when I was 17 but my parents wouldn't let me. I went off to college, got married, bought a house, and had two kids before pursued my dream. I was 31 years old when I started riding a motorcycle.

Its probably a good thing that I waited. Even today its so easy to be tempted by that throttle, no matter how disciplined I am.

Don't rush this decision. You are young and have a lot of life ahead of you.
joshuajcrouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #70
YORCHI
n00b

^^^ That's why the 250 is such a great bike...it's dangerous enough to get you hurt, but it's safe enough to stop you from having too much fun. This morning on the way to work I got on the freeway and saw nothing but empty freeway in front of me for miles...I gunned it and before you knew it I was at 90 on the speedometer and it wouldn't go any faster haha...then for some reason it dropped rpms and slowed down on its own so I had to downshift and get it back up to normal and then it was fine the whole way to work...weird?!

#KCCO

Old March 14th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #71
contact148
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250 2013 GSXR 600

Im 38 and JUST bought my 1st street bike (2012 ninja 250)

My parents said if i got a street bike i had to move out (16 yrs old) so i bought a RM 125 and rode motorcross for a few years which got motorcycles out of my blood. I have not had any bikes for 6-7 years till now and to be honest my mom STILL freaked out on me my dad was like eh whatever my wife could care less either way. my son thinks I should do tricks on it (9yrs old) and my daughter has figured out in 2 years SHE can ride it.......

so just wait you have many years to do it PLUS when your older its NOT too expensive hell some of the service on my cars costs more then a brand new ninja

one thing that might be worth doing is just getting the license I know here in Canada the longer you have a license the cheaper insurance rates can be

and as you get older your less likely to do stupid things that can get you hurt or killed
contact148 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #72
YORCHI
n00b

+1 on the mom still freaking out part

I'm 29 and my mom freaked out a few months ago when I told her I was headed home on my bike...she was all like "I didn't think you actually rode it" lol

#KCCO