ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 12th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #1
jstone
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jared

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Getting a 250...

Well I'm getting alot closer to actually going and picking up a ninja of my own. I know how everybody likes threads where you get to follow along, so this is my little contribution.

I can't really remember where my ninja fetish started. Somehow I discovered this wonderful machine, and have been wanting one ever since. At first I thought it would be too small, I would out grow it quickly, etc, etc.... Then I started reading about it (as I do before I buy anything over $100) and was surprised at how many people ride them, and the performance, and most of all by the price. Then I went and checked on insurance and the $100 a month difference between a 650 and a 250 made my mind up for me.

So about 2 weeks ago I bought a helmet off newenough (Icon Airframe, in rubatone). Yeah, kinda jumping the gun a little bit but I won't ride without one, and I didn't see any harm in going ahead and getting one. The only real hang up on me getting a motorcycle was selling my 4-wheeler, which I did on wednesday, so now I'm set. I went to the dealership and looked at them again yesterday, talked about financing, and OTD price.

He said he could get me on the road for $4700-4800. Is this a pretty fair price? I plan on going and picking it up next weekend, so any newbie advice is welcomed and appreciated. I'll update this thread as I get closer to the big day, lol.
jstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #2
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Congrats on deciding to get a 250 you won't regret it. Welcome to your new addiction. Just make sure you have all your gear before you ride.

Old July 12th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #3
kkim

... and sign up for an MSF course as soon as possible.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #4
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

you picked a good bike...only problem is you will want to ride it all the time...too much fun...check this out...

Link to original page on Vimeo.

gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #5
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

congrats on moving one step closer to ownership.

ah yes...the evolution of a motorcyclist...
umm...have you thought about what color you'll get as well?

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #6
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Congrats, I don't think that is too bad of a price, people have paid alot more.
Don't worry about selling your 4-wheeler, 2 wheels are so much more fun.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #7
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

A couple questions if I may.
How many dealerships are within 50 miles of your home?
Have you called or visited all these dealerships?
Have you talked to any salespeople at these dealerships?

4800 otd sounds a bit steep if your asking me. One would think that due to the state of the economy and the lack of sizzling sales on any vehicle. (car truck or bike) A little comparison shopping would be in order. If it were me, I would at least call all the dealerships and talk to someone. You will obviously be in a better position to haggle if your in the dealership and talking to a salesperson. I would make it clear to every salesman that you will be going to or calling every dealership within driving distance and getting an OTD price. Whomever is the cheapest will get your buisness. If you can get them to put the price in writing even better. Take that with you when you goto another dealership and ask them to beat it. I would guess you should be able to shave at least $300-400 off of your current price.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #8
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Jared, that sounds really high. I don't know where you are in KY, but if you're close to UK, give Hillbilly Cycle Sales in Princeton, WV a call - they will take great care of you and it will be worth the drive- I'm glad I made it! Wonderful dealership with wonderful customer service!

Old July 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #9
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Welcome and congatulations.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #10
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Yea a 250 might be on the smaller side of the motorcycle spectrum but take this to account. Loading my bike onto to auto train today and the employees helping me start checkin it out. They point out there zx-10r(two of them), one 650 and a 636 and they are complementing my bike. They then start muttering about the fuel economy and I tell them on my ride down from jersey to virgina I averaged 68 mpg and was going a steady 75 pretty easily on the way down and having fun on the back roads...let's just say they are thinking about adding one to their collection.

Good choice on the bike. About the price...I bit more than I paid for my 08 but prices have gone up and we are in the heat of riding season but take a look around.

Ps...I respect the choice in buying a helemet first good job
Posted via Mobile Device
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #11
andrewwoo
WHEE!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Black Kawi 250R

oo congrats! yay!! youre set! better to start low.. and hey you might not want let it go.. like me.. haha

wow! i like the video!!
andrewwoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #12
jstone
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the support guys. Most of the people that I've told about my decision have told me not to get a 250 because it will bore me too fast. My parents have whole heartedly supported it though lol. Its good to get on here and read about all the fun everybody is having on a ninjette, makes me want one even more no matter what people are saying.

About the dealer thing, I've only checked on price at one dealer, because they had the most to choose from. They had like 6-7 250s sitting on the showroom, but said they're selling like hot cakes. I plan on calling around this week before I make a final decision. I haven't got my heart set on a certain color yet for that reason too. I like most of them, and even liked the SE once I seen it in person. If I can find a good deal at a dealer I don't want to walk away sore because they didn't have the color I wanted. I figured that was a little high on the price, but I didn't try to haggle him any either, not yet.

Again, thanks for the replys!

Old July 12th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #13
noche_caliente

I got my '08 from Hillbilly at 4100 last year when you wouldn't see one on the floor anywhere - that dealer is full of **** and you should stay away from them - if they have 6-7 on the floor, they aren't moving well enough to justify that price. You should be able to get away under $4500 - Reggie is the man at Hillbilly that you should talk to - tell him you saw my shirt and wanted to check them out

Old July 12th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #14
jstone
ninjette.org newbie

I would, but I'm in western kentucky, should have mentioned... I think after I pay gas to drive that far, it may be close to even again. Ok maybe not that bad, but I can sacrifice a couple hundred for convenience lol. I'll def be calling around seeing what I can come up with. I wish I could go to them and talk in person, but the closest dealer to me is an hour away, and they were sold out of 250s when I went there a couple weeks ago. The one I went to yesterday is 1 1/2 hours away.

On another note, I'm thinking of going ahead and getting some new tires for it based on what I've read about the stock IRC tires here. I would just go ahead and have the dealer of choice put them on before I took it home, to save me a trip. I don't trust anybody in my small town to put them on, and I don't have the necessary tools either. Any recommendations on a good road tire for a beginner? It won't be seeing any track time, or many twisties for that matter. Just alot of rough back roads. Or can I get away with the stockers for awhile?

Old July 12th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #15
noche_caliente

have you thought about a used 250?

Old July 13th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I wouldn't stress about the IRC's on your first bike. There are a number of folks that move quite well at street speeds on them with no issues. If you get to the point where you're starting to have them slip and slide, or feel like their performance is holding you back, then by all means there are tires available that are a little stickier.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #17
Obsidian
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja EX250R

If I were you, I'd find a used one. They can be had, with full gear, for $2k.... like mine!

There is another guy selling an 04 in Baltimore.

I honestly believe that the dealershit you're looking at is asking waaaayyyyyy too much!!!

Find a used one, pay less, don't worry about dropping it as you probably will. Once you're done with your learning period then look at something else.

I bought mine used with 2250 miles and I dropped it twice. I'm not pissed though because I didn't buy it new.

The 250 is a great bike! Really, when are you going to need to go more than 100mph? That is the only thing those other bikes have on the 250.

I'll say this, with expectation of flaming. The typical American male believes in mass horsepower in a straight line. Sure, that is a fast car. But it takes skill to be able to turn and go fast. The 250 requires that skill and you will learn it.

Those stock tires will be fine while you're learning. I'm JUST NOW starting to realize the suckiness of the stock tires and it's only when full bore into a turn. I doubt you'll be doing that kind of turning for awhile.

Good luck on whatever you decide to purchase, get the MSF course before riding too much, and make sure you wear your gear.

-Brandon

Old July 13th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #18
zach
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 650R, 2009 250R

Yeah I learned a little about those stock tires yesterday too..luckily, I still have all my skin.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #19
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I bet you're excited. Getting a new bike is loads of fun. I't is 10 times better than buying a car. anything arroung 4500 - 4900 OTD is about right. It really just depends on the fees the dealer is throughing in on the deal. If the bike is $4000 and tax is .07% then it should be just over $4300 depending on the cost of registration. Just like a car, if the dealer really needs to make a sale, they can lower or even wave their fees, but don't count on it.

Old July 13th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #20
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Name: darius

Motorcycle(s): 2000 250 sold; 2005 636 sold. BIKELESS IN ATLANTA

Good choice on the 250. As mentioned before, look for a used bike from a private owner. Price will be lower and you will save on taxes. You could also probably get the down easier from a private owner.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #21
jstone
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks again for the info, its all greatly appreciated. Per the advice I'll hold off on getting new tires, for a little while atleast . I just called a few dealers in my area, and only one of them was open. They did give me good news though. They only had 2 in blue and green, but he would let me have my pick and put me ON THE ROAD for $4250. I'm going to call the other dealer tomorrow and see if they can match it or come down a little (only because they have more color choice).

As for the used thing, I want a new-gen bike, and there aren't many used ones to choose from around here.

Old July 13th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #22
websniper
New rider

Name: Jarrod

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250

One thing about this forum, it's sooo New-gen oriented. Just to put my 2 cents in: There's nothing horrible about the older pre-gen bikes, Don't count 'em out. I picked mine up for under 2G, and it's still a blast. Mind you, the new-gen is SEXY! But in the end, I'm still having a blast on my dated looking pre gen.
websniper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #23
elars
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by websniper View Post
One thing about this forum, it's sooo New-gen oriented. Just to put my 2 cents in: There's nothing horrible about the older pre-gen bikes, Don't count 'em out. I picked mine up for under 2G, and it's still a blast. Mind you, the new-gen is SEXY! But in the end, I'm still having a blast on my dated looking pre gen.
My main draw to the newgens is first and foremost, the only real difference, the looks. A viable reason if you justify the added cost. BUT, that cost also includes (typically) a less used, 'new' or 'more new' condition bike. I also would like something that I can put a lot of miles on without immediate maintenance concerns. Basically, I want a shiny new toy and I don't like wondering just what condition everything you can't see is in.

Same as buying a car, I typically like the newest body styles, and if I'm spending money, might as well get what I want. Also go for the lowest miles affordable or possible, and for $4k new, it's both.

IMO the pregens are fugly, but I certainly wouldn't complain if I picked one up for $2000. I would ACTUALLY like to ride it after all. I just want a love affair with it as well and my and the pregens just aren't compatible in that respect
elars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #24
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

rode my 250 to small engine shop near house. mechanic who rides a HD came over and asked me bunch of questions about it. cool when someone who rides something way different has good questions about the 250.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #25
zach
ninjette.org member

Pre-gen are lighter and faster! haha...naw but for real. The pre-gens aren't bad if you don't want to spend more money. I got my '06 with 2600 miles on it for two grand. Granted I got it from a friend and got a good deal, you could probably get the same deal from someone you don't know for about 23-2500. I love my pre-gen. Even though later on down the road I might want something with a little more oomph, this has plenty, and even if I get a new bike, i'm never getting rid of this one.

Old July 13th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #26
almost40

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

OK so from $4800 to $4250. MUCH BETTER. $4250 is a square deal.
You can send me a check for the difference. lol
As for the pre-gens being faster. Meet me at the track anytime, Ill do away with those rumors in short order.

Old July 13th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #27
zach
ninjette.org member

haha. Good threat when you're more than 1,000 miles away

Old July 13th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #28
almost40

Thats not a threat Zach. Thats a promise lol
I was thinking Crestview, Illinois lol

Old July 13th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #29
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
have you thought about a used 250?
I bought a used 2009 in June for $3500 it only had 170 miles on it...
Thanks craigslist...
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote