ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 9th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Tough decisions...

Hey everyone, well it looks like I am trying to sell my bike.. I cannot put up with taking the carbs out all the time and trying to fix the bike. The bike currently is running alright but it is never at 100% so I am done with it.

Anyway,

I am going to buy a new bike.. I want another 250. I am going to take a loan out and just get something for around 3 grand.

I'm only going to buy something that is 2009 or newer. I've seen a couple but nothing great...

However, this dealer is selling a CBR 250... now, I know... I never wanted a honda because I don't really like honda's.... but it is a 2011 has only 3,800 miles (edit) and is fuel injected which means I will NEVER have to deal with carbs again.....

Not sure what to do :/ any guidance would be helpful... I just need something reliable..

Old June 9th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you know fuel injectors can clog too right?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 9th, 2014, 03:36 PM   #3
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
you know fuel injectors can clog too right?
Yeah, but carbs suck, everyone knows that....
I wouldn't have to choke it when it's cold anymore along with many other benefits. Why do you think all modern cars are fuel injected?

Again, I love the ninja's... I really wished I could afford a 300... I would be picking that up in a heart beat. No decisions will be made until I sell my old bike anyway, which could be weeks.

Old June 9th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #4
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
I wouldn't have to choke it when it's cold anymore along with many other benefits. Why do you think all modern cars are fuel injected?

Again, I love the ninja's... I really wished I could afford a 300... I would be picking that up in a heart beat. No decisions will be made until I sell my old bike anyway, which could be weeks.
Are you ever thinking about moving up? CBR 250's are harder to find for some reason, I've found there's almost like 10 Ninja 250's per CBR 250. They will definitely be less maintenance if you're thinking about keeping the bike for a while.

How much are you looking to spend and where are you located in MA?

Old June 9th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #5
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Are you ever thinking about moving up? CBR 250's are harder to find for some reason, I've found there's almost like 10 Ninja 250's per CBR 250. They will definitely be less maintenance if you're thinking about keeping the bike for a while.

How much are you looking to spend and where are you located in MA?
lol, I am not looking for a CBR specifically, I just will consider one if I see it for the right price.

I think I want the ninja more, even though it is carbs.. I just cannot fight my love for the bike.

My plan is to be riding around on a ninja 300 in the next 3-5 years. I've only been riding for a month so I need to remain on a beginner bike... not to mention the insurance will sky rocket if I got anything bigger.

But anyway, I have about 3 grand max to spend... I live on the south coast.

Old June 9th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #6
Compooky
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r, 2013 gsxr 600

At least the good news is you can find used new gen 250s on craigslist for around $2600 pretty often in the state. But why do you need to take out a loan for it?!
Compooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #7
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compooky View Post
At least the good news is you can find used new gen 250s on craigslist for around $2600 pretty often in the state. But why do you need to take out a loan for it?!
I mean, I could probably get 1,400 for my bike (it's listed on CL for 1,600) Which means I will need about 1,600 + about 300 to register it. So, I may be able to borrow some money from my parents or just take out a very small loan.

Old June 9th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #8
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/4512005308.html

What do you guys think about this one? I mean, $1,600 seems suspiciously low... I don't really care too much about the body damage. I just want to make sure that the mechanical side is alright. The guy says that if you jump the bike it will run... I don't know, I know from experience that you get what you pay for lol but 2000 miles and only 4 years old I doubt any real damage has been done.

Old June 9th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #9
Compooky
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r, 2013 gsxr 600

Quote:
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/4512005308.html

What do you guys think about this one? I mean, $1,600 seems suspiciously low... I don't really care too much about the body damage. I just want to make sure that the mechanical side is alright. The guy says that if you jump the bike it will run... I don't know, I know from experience that you get what you pay for lol but 2000 miles and only 4 years old I doubt any real damage has been done.
Might be okay if you can test ride it and everything checks out. But what did the owner do that he managed to crack the fairing? And how much do you trust a person to take care of their bike when even the oil cap gets lost or damaged?
Compooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #10
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compooky View Post
Might be okay if you can test ride it and everything checks out. But what did the owner do that he managed to crack the fairing? And how much do you trust a person to take care of their bike when even the oil cap gets lost or damaged?
Yeah, that's the thing.. She said she slipped on gravel and that's why there is damage. She told me the pegs and brake/gear peddles are completely in tact.

She said her husband lost the cap while changing the oil...? I don't know, I have 3 grand I think it's safe to say I should just shell out the extra grand and get a good bike lol.

Old June 9th, 2014, 05:05 PM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Well, before you ditch your F bike, don't forget to return to your other thread to let me know how you like this design:
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2014, 05:38 PM   #12
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:

carbs are alright. Once you get a collection of jets and needles ect... you can do all the tuning you want at minimal cost and time.

Not so sure that is the case with EFI?

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #13
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Yeah, I mean... I am going to try and grab a ninja 250. Chances are if it is only 2-4 years old then the carbs will be perfectly fine.

Old June 9th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #14
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Oh for Pete's sake... It's a choke lever, it's not that hard.

Carbs are easy. I went fuel injected and spent time perfecting it. I took it to the track, I rode it 6000+ miles, I had it as perfect as it was going to be and I loved it. But now I'm back on carbs. Worry free, able to be fixed on the side of the road, way easier to troubleshoot, simple to work on.

Newer carbs don't mean they'll be any better than yours. If the bike sits, the carbs suck. That's how it works. Spend the money on track time and go ride.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #15
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Hey everyone, well it looks like I am trying to sell my bike.. I cannot put up with taking the carbs out all the time and trying to fix the bike. The bike currently is running alright but it is never at 100% so I am done with it.

Anyway,

I am going to buy a new bike.. I want another 250. I am going to take a loan out and just get something for around 3 grand.

I'm only going to buy something that is 2009 or newer. I've seen a couple but nothing great...

However, this dealer is selling a CBR 250... now, I know... I never wanted a honda because I don't really like honda's.... but it is a 2011 has only 3,800 miles (edit) and is fuel injected which means I will NEVER have to deal with carbs again.....

Not sure what to do :/ any guidance would be helpful... I just need something reliable..
Call AV (Alan Veracka) at Motorcycles508 in Brockton. He can get you a used one or a new one. He got me the best deal around on a bike in Florida (where I live). He has connections all over America. He is part of a huge motorcycle family.

Old June 9th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #16
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
You answered your question right there. There are plenty of fuel injected bikes out there, maybe a bigger bike could work as well though those tend to be less fun on public roads. An SV650S seems to be in your price range (3 grand)

Carbs aren't that bad though

Quote:
Yeah, I mean... I am going to try and grab a ninja 250. Chances are if it is only 2-4 years old then the carbs will be perfectly fine.
Hmm, it seems that you don't fully understand how carbs work. While I do believe that the newgen 250 will be a nice step up over the pregen the carbs will be more or less the same. If it sits it'll get clogged and you'll have to clean them, if it's ridden there won't be an issue. Easy solution, ride more It's no different with fuel injection, that'll clog and a clogged FI system is a severe pita to clean out compared to carbs
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #17
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I'd get some help with your bike and hold out for the 300... 3,000 is getting close to what you will be able to get one for before to long

Def check out whatever @choneofakind is yapping bout a choked beaver or whatever
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2014, 07:41 PM   #18
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Thanks guys, I admit (although it's probably not a big surprise) that i know nothing about carbs, other than taking them out and shooting carb cleaner in them lol.

You've restored my faith, I was never gonna get the CBR, I thought about it but I couldn't see myself getting one (Unless I got a CRAZY good deal). I'll keep you posted about which bike I end up with, I have a kid coming over sometime this week to look at my bike, my guess is that he's going to try and beat me down a few hundred bucks, so I hope to at least sell it for 1,400. I think the bike is worth that, it probably just needs more TLC than I'm willing to give. After I get rid of the bike I am going to hopefully just pick up a clean looking newgen. Lots of pictures will come shortly after for you guys

Old June 9th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #19
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Yeah, you actually need to CLEAN them, and/or spend the few $$$ a jet and replace them.

I had my wife's bike apart 10x before I finally just replaced the jets and there the bodies in the ultrasonic cleaner. It now runs super awesome!

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #20
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
I'd get some help with your bike and hold out for the 300... 3,000 is getting close to what you will be able to get one for before to long

Def check out whatever @choneofakind is yapping bout a choked beaver or whatever
Only thing is getting help with my bike may end up costing me closer to 4-6 hundred dollars... I would rather spend the extra 1,000 and get something better like a 2010 ninja.

The ninja 300 would cost me 5 grand, plus I may want to get the ABS brakes which would end up being like 5.5k + registration fees sales tax i'm looking closer to 6 grand... then insurance, I would want full coverage and theft, etc. so that would be I'm guessing about 600 (maybe more, maybe less I really don't know). So we are nearing 7 grand here... I know i could get a bigger loan but I am only working part time and going to college.. I'd probably be better off waiting a few more years.

Not to mention our bikes don't depreciate that badly, if I spend 3k on a 2010 and put 5k miles on it I should be able to sell it for 2,300-2,500 if it's clean.

Old June 9th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #21
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

Name: Mick

Motorcycle(s): Yellow '04 stocker, '89 FJ1200, '87 Ducati Paso, '71 Yamaha XS1b, '99 KLR650, '81 FXE 80, '97 KTM 200EXC , etc

Why not try again to clean your carbs correctly, and get your bike running well. That way, you won't have to spend money you don't have on another bike and learn about carbs at the same time.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_a_c...arbs_explained
Desmoluci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #22
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmoluci View Post
Why not try again to clean your carbs correctly, and get your bike running well. That way, you won't have to spend money you don't have on another bike and learn about carbs at the same time.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_a_c...arbs_explained
Thanks, I appreciate the resource. I will read it tomorrow while i'm on break.

I confess I've wanted a newgen for a long time now. I love so many things about it, the headlight, body style in general, fuel gauge, few performance upgrades, etc. Plus just having a 4 year old bike gives you some confidence that everything in there is relatively new.

I'll let you in on a little secret, I can pay off a 1.5k loan in a matter of 2 months. It's honestly not a huge deal. I'll try to see what I can do though, if I get the issue fixed then I could get more for my bike!

Old June 10th, 2014, 04:09 AM   #23
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

HERODANNY, I live in Mass, about an hours ride north up 395. I will help you clean and adjust your carbs if you need help. All you would have to do is ride up to my house some weekend and I am very sure we could sort out most of your issues and buy you some time to hunt down the 300 you want so bad. At the least it would raise the value of your bike before you sell it. Private message me if you want some assistance with your carbs and I can show you how to correctly clean and adjust them so you will be able to do it yourself in the future.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2014, 08:02 AM   #24
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Umm just putting it out there, you realize the newgen carbs are identical, except for the jet sizes, to the pregen carbs. If this is an issue of just wanting a bike that's sexy looking, man up and say it.

It's going to give you the same issues that you currently have if you literally know nothing about the carbs... Have you tried the cheater method of just adding carb cleaner to the tank and letting it soak/clean as you ride it? That's much more helpful than sort of halfway spritzing cleaner in an hoping it helps. It's also easy.

Edit: looks like you already said it and dummy here missed it go get 'em tiger. Run some seafoam through it before selling so you don't have to lose money because 'well uhhhh the carbs need cleaned'
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2014, 08:12 AM   #25
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Carbs suck, PERIOD

With that being said mine work perfectly so I don't even have to think about them.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #26
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
HERODANNY, I live in Mass, about an hours ride north up 395. I will help you clean and adjust your carbs if you need help. All you would have to do is ride up to my house some weekend and I am very sure we could sort out most of your issues and buy you some time to hunt down the 300 you want so bad. At the least it would raise the value of your bike before you sell it. Private message me if you want some assistance with your carbs and I can show you how to correctly clean and adjust them so you will be able to do it yourself in the future.
wow really? thanks man! I have a guy looking at the bike this weekend but if I cannot sell it, then for sure I will try to meet up with you.. Thanks bro

Old June 10th, 2014, 08:25 AM   #27
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Umm just putting it out there, you realize the newgen carbs are identical, except for the jet sizes, to the pregen carbs. If this is an issue of just wanting a bike that's sexy looking, man up and say it.

It's going to give you the same issues that you currently have if you literally know nothing about the carbs... Have you tried the cheater method of just adding carb cleaner to the tank and letting it soak/clean as you ride it? That's much more helpful than sort of halfway spritzing cleaner in an hoping it helps. It's also easy.

Edit: looks like you already said it and dummy here missed it go get 'em tiger. Run some seafoam through it before selling so you don't have to lose money because 'well uhhhh the carbs need cleaned'
Lol, I'm glad you edit because In my head I was like o_O

yeah, I'm going to get it working decent and try to get as much as I can. I'd be happy getting 1,400 since I put some money into it, but I am prepared to take a small hit.

Old June 10th, 2014, 08:32 AM   #28
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post

Agreed...I just got my bike a lil over a month ago for 2.6k ('13 300 non-abs)
I got lucky and found a kid that dropped his bike, quit riding and wanted out of the loan
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #29
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I know a guy scraped his 300 up a bit as well... $3200 later it's in some happy riders arsenal.
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #30
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:

Emissions regulations
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #31
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Yep. The cheapest of cheap cars would still be carb'd if it weren't for the EPA.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2014, 05:39 AM   #32
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
carbs are alright. Once you get a collection of jets and needles ect... you can do all the tuning you want at minimal cost and time.

Not so sure that is the case with EFI?
Carbs are some what of a dark art... analog if you will

EFI is basically digital.

Yes EFI can be tuned and adjusted... there is a "flash" to the PROM that will change the "map" of your injection... or you can use something like a PCIII or other "professional lying" box to tell sweet little lies to your electronic control unit. Personally I like the flash as it is more at the root... you can control injector duration and timing and if you have dual or second stage injectors, the timing and duration of the second injector... this can be adjusted for the full range of RPM and frequently you can have different maps for different gears. The TLR has 4 maps. 1st, neutral, 2nd and 3rd-6th... i've actually tricked it into thinking it's in 6th gear all the time... so it runs the full power map... all the time, no timing retardation, full injector duration... Full power in all gears.

I have 2 Electronic control units (ECU's) for my TLR... my "Daily commuter" and the "track" ecu. Daily commuter is more fuel efficient and a little less aggressive, "Track" is full out, balls to the wall.

EFI is almost stupid proof... I used to spend a day getting my carb'd bike running in the spring... the fuel injected... if the battery is charged, and the fuel pump primes... it starts, no drama
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2014, 06:16 AM   #33
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
you should get a two stroke