ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 14th, 2016, 02:46 AM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Bike only, no car

The bastards at my insurance company have made it to where I can't afford to have both a car and a bike anymore. In my own special set of circumstances, it's MUCH cheaper to get rid of the car and go bike only, even with conservative figures that favor the car. Besides, I rarely take my car, anyway.

So what I wanna know is, what should I get to prepare for riding bike-only? I plan on getting some hard luggage, as well as an automatic chain oiler, and heated grips

I'm also going to need to invest in some good all-weather gear, and I've only ever heard about people who have had bad experiences with all-weather gear.

What do you bike-only crazies have on your bike, or even if you own a car, what gear do you use when the weather is harsh? I'd love to know.

I know @Motofool and @NevadaWolf are probably going to have some good advice for me
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2016, 06:41 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
........ I know @Motofool and @NevadaWolf are probably going to have some good advice for me
Does it ever rain where you live?
Lightning?
What the extreme temperatures around the year are?
Snow, black ice?
Do you have the skills and headlight power to ride in heavy rain/snow/fog at night if you have to?

Can you always park at places that offer some security?
Theft insurance?
Is there criminal activity or vandalism in areas that you have to ride by?
Can you leave helmet and gear locked to the bike and protected from weather and vandalism?
Place to change clothes if arriving wet?

Can you service and repair the bike yourself during a weekend or time off school/work?
Do you have access to tools, illuminated-dry-flat place, stands?
Can you solve a flat tire or burned bulb on the road, day or night (plugs, air pump, tools, flash light)?

Is there help immediately available in case of accident and incapacitating injury?
Do you carry in-case-of-injury information (emergency contacts, health condition, blood type, allergies)?
Do you carry a first aid kit?
Ways to transport a crippled bike home by a third person?

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 14th, 2016, 09:28 AM   #3
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

You're in CA, you'll be fine save for very rainy days.

That was half joking. We had a good thread about cold weather riding a while ago:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=193270

The gist of it is that the real danger comes from the deterioration of the rider's condition.

When it comes to keeping hands warm, I believe some form of wind deflecting hand guards are worth more than heated grips provided you have good insulation.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ninj...41Z4NOc4QLM%3A
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2016, 09:59 AM   #4
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
To keep my hands warm when it gets really cold I have 3 finger motorcycle gloves. I have Hein-Gericke gloves, but I expect there are tons of equivalent or better options from other manufacturers.

It's amazing how well they work. I'm pretty sure they work because there is less surface area to be cooled down than if you had gaps between each of your four fingers; as with normal gloves. They also help with road rage. If you get angry at someone you can't flip them the bird or give them the V's. At worst you can gesture for them to live long and prosper.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 14th, 2016, 11:06 AM   #5
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

I just wear regular latex/nitrile glove inside riding gloves for keeping the hands warm.

Once the inside of your gloves are soaked with your sweat, there is no amount
of glove insulation that can keep your hands warm, especially on longer rides.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2016, 02:12 PM   #6
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Not sure what you intend to spend, but its not cheap to have the right gear.

I'm a test rider so I ride all year round, unless its snowing. The gear I got issued at work was ~$1200

but i found the best route for cold is wearing my heated jacket, summer jacket and rain jacket. I have a First Gear Kilimanjaro, but it is bulky and causes pain on my right wrist, so i stick with my new route. The rain jacket keeps the wind out efficiently and keeps the heat in.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2016, 02:36 PM   #7
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
How expensive can it be to insure a pregen?

Liability only I have 4 bikes and 3 riders (2 of them got their licenses thus year) on my policy and it's $120 per year.

Unless you have a really terrible driving record and s couple of DUI's. In which case I don't think it's fair to call the insurance company names.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2016, 03:21 PM   #8
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Gore-tex gear is your friend. The other option is to have a waterproof layer to throw over your regular gear. I used to do that but it got annoying so I just got full waterproof textile gear for all my commuting needs and switch to the leathers only for pure fun rides. I also have different layers of stuff I can wear underneath, like underarmour or thermals.

The heated gear is definitely a good call. I went with the heated glove liners since I preferred the heat on the back of my hands but that will just be personal preference.

Top cases are awesome. My gigantic Givi top case is the most convenient thing ever. Besides being a nice place to store my gear at my destination, I keep a bunch of emergency equipment in there (tire plug kit, first aid kit, zip ties, duct tape, etc.). I also have Kriega dry bags for when I need to carry even more stuff.

Old February 14th, 2016, 03:28 PM   #9
2fiddy-trackpair
ninjette.org member

Name: Fred

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250r

I had a buddy that had no car for a few years. It is doable but a pain sometimes. It was truly funny to see him go grocery shopping and have stuff packed in the top case and bags strapped to the seat.
2fiddy-trackpair is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2016, 03:57 PM   #10
hfd1 tuner
ninjette.org member

Name: charles

Motorcycle(s): many mostly racebikes cbr565 fzr490 ex250ish

I am thinking that you could get a AMC gremlin the insurance got to be cheap I have guys that have bike only rides but the have friends to help with a covered ride when needed....
hfd1 tuner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2016, 04:53 PM   #11
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Does it ever rain where you live?
Lightning?
What the extreme temperatures around the year are?
Snow, black ice?
Do you have the skills and headlight power to ride in heavy rain/snow/fog at night if you have to?

Can you always park at places that offer some security?
Theft insurance?
Is there criminal activity or vandalism in areas that you have to ride by?
Can you leave helmet and gear locked to the bike and protected from weather and vandalism?
Place to change clothes if arriving wet?

Can you service and repair the bike yourself during a weekend or time off school/work?
Do you have access to tools, illuminated-dry-flat place, stands?
Can you solve a flat tire or burned bulb on the road, day or night (plugs, air pump, tools, flash light)?

Is there help immediately available in case of accident and incapacitating injury?
Do you carry in-case-of-injury information (emergency contacts, health condition, blood type, allergies)?
Do you carry a first aid kit?
Ways to transport a crippled bike home by a third person?

The weather is mild enough to ride year-round. Sometimes every couple of years there's a mild storm but I normally don't even drive during that anyway.

I can solve a lot of things on the side of the road, but I've never considered a flat tire. I'll do a bit of googling on that

My routes are generally populated, so I'm trusting the everyman to call the police if I wreck. An ICE tag is a good idea, though. I do carry a first aid kit (although I need to expand it a bit) and I have a good handful of friends with trucks. If I had to hobble the bike home, I could (assuming it's still pushable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
To keep my hands warm when it gets really cold I have 3 finger motorcycle gloves. I have Hein-Gericke gloves, but I expect there are tons of equivalent or better options from other manufacturers.

It's amazing how well they work. I'm pretty sure they work because there is less surface area to be cooled down than if you had gaps between each of your four fingers; as with normal gloves. They also help with road rage. If you get angry at someone you can't flip them the bird or give them the V's. At worst you can gesture for them to live long and prosper.
My dad swears by these gloves and keeps telling me about them. He rode year round in much harsher weather than I think I will, so I'll check 'em out

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
How expensive can it be to insure a pregen?

Liability only I have 4 bikes and 3 riders (2 of them got their licenses thus year) on my policy and it's $120 per year.

Unless you have a really terrible driving record and s couple of DUI's. In which case I don't think it's fair to call the insurance company names.
I got one speeding ticket resulting in a point on my license, but in California insurance companies can't raise your cost if you only have one point. My bike insurance didn't go up at all, just my car insurance. I think it's just something out of my control in regards to how the business works.

Old February 14th, 2016, 04:53 PM   #12
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Thank you everyone for your insight. Keep it coming!

Old February 14th, 2016, 09:35 PM   #13
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
I ride daily, irregardless of the weather.

I normally bring these items in my external rear box compartment :

1) A pair of slippers
2) Rain suit
3) Extra glove
4) Extra clothes (like those quick dry material)
5) first aid kit
6) chain lube
7) tool box
8) a pair of latex glove

As for things which I have with me during riding :

1) A sling bag
2) Waterproof handphone casing
3) Military dog tag (information such as next of kin, blood type, country)

As for on the bike :

1) USB 12 volt charger
2) Silicone tyre sealer (insert in tyre after changing it - it will automatically seal any puncture)

I have always not a fan of "touring jacket" as I found that the jacket is very uncomfortable even if it is suitable for all weather. If it's not raining then I will just wear my normal riding jacket, gloves and boots. If it's raining, I pull over, and wear my rain suit. I do not wear any goretex boots since eventually it will get soaked since the rain could penetrate @ zipper.

If it rains then bring it on.

When I park, I always unplug my battery and carry it with me.....

p/s : this is what i do with my moped, not my ninja.

Last futzed with by Abu_Mishary; February 14th, 2016 at 09:35 PM. Reason: grammatical corrections
Abu_Mishary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2016, 09:57 PM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
........... I can solve a lot of things on the side of the road, but I've never considered a flat tire. I'll do a bit of googling on that.........
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_ca...on_the_road%3F

Old February 14th, 2016, 10:42 PM   #15
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Hurm, not sue what specifics I could help with that hasn't already been mentioned. I don't commute on my bike, live too close to bother gearing up so driving is easier so most of this is from my vacations.

I like riding into whatever weather without having to stop and layer up or down, so while I like my current weather resistance gear, it's not weatherproof enough for me. I've taken to wearing a rain jacket over my textile to block the wind from sucking the heat of my liner out and will be investing in good Gore-Tex gear later this year.

I found some knockoff Acerbis handguards that do a fair job of blocking wind and some ATV handlebar mitts that block rain. The three fingered overglove is going to be included in the gear update. I have heated grips waiting to be installed.

Speaking of heat, I like my jacket liner which is powered by the bike and my battery powered socks. For me, my feet are my weakest point and get cold way to easy. The socks have really helped me get through the coldest rides. They're made by Volt if interested.

Not sure what your route is though you say it's got a steady stream of traffic. If your insurance doesn't offer it, groups like AMA, ROK, etc have roadside assistance that can help with minor stuff. I carry a RoadID with my ICE info though a cheap solution is just to get a standard dogtag from the $5 pet tag kiosk at WalMart. I also carry CareFlight coverage in case the unthinkable happens and I need an airlift. CalStar has a similar plan with a lot more bases to cover a wider area.

I've never really carried anything normal on the bike, so not sure what's needed for groceries or errands. Sorry can't help there.

On my long long trips, I carry a brake disk lock for the rear brake and a heavy duty Harley cable to leash the bike to a pole or fence. After seeing the cut in my ignition one morning, I'm glad to double up theft protection.

If your normal rides are going to be less than 400-500 ish miles before you get home, an automatic chain oiler may not really be needed. Just pull back up to your house and hit the chain with goop while its hot. Granted an oiler really is set it and forget it, just remember to refill the reservoir periodically.

And now I feel like I am rambling so I'm going to stop. Hope something there helps.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2016, 11:10 PM   #16
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Great info, both of you. My feet never get cold. For me it's just my knee caps and hands. Weird. I carry long underwear in my moto bag already (rolled up into a zippy bag).

Old February 14th, 2016, 11:14 PM   #17
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu_Mishary View Post
I do not wear any goretex boots since eventually it will get soaked since the rain could penetrate @ zipper.
I put the legs of my riding pants over my boots which covers up any entry points. Never had water get into my boots.

Old February 15th, 2016, 12:05 AM   #18
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
I put the legs of my riding pants over my boots which covers up any entry points. Never had water get into my boots.
That's good to hear........

Last futzed with by Abu_Mishary; February 15th, 2016 at 12:05 AM. Reason: corrections... corrections...
Abu_Mishary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2016, 06:55 AM   #19
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
I don't think I would have much trouble going bike only here if it wasn't for a few main things which all revolve around carrying stuff/people. Although the internet really helps to solve some of those problems with online shopping and home delivery it does not solve them all.

I have kids soooo yeah, need some way to get them from place to place, this isn't the far east where I can pack 7 people on a scooter but even with that aside, I have other things that require a car. I routinely haul things, lots of groceries at a time, dirt bikes, wood for heating, other toys, large items I sell and need to ship just to name a few. It would be extremely annoying and inconvenient to have to keep borrowing vehicles, or asking for help with things that I could not accomplish on a bike and it would be fairly frequent.

Everyone's circumstances are different and change with time and for me it is not feasible at this time.

However if bike only was an option it certainly would not be a ninja250/300. It would have to be an adventure type bike, maybe a ktm.

so that leads to my advice, think about your transporting needs and what would need to be done to the bike to make them reasonable and then is your bike up to the challenge.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2016, 07:27 AM   #20
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I was car free for eight years.
Honestly the scooter was what I used most. Bicycles are high matinance when you start riding every day for three or four hours. But they play a key part in your transportation scheme.

So motorcycle for most to and from work.
Scooter to go shopping
Bicycle to just get around
And rent. Vans or trucks from home Depo and cars. Rent what ever you nee. It is very nice to just ride a bicycle to a rental place and go.
I did it in Baltimore. Ice and snow are fun.

Old February 15th, 2016, 07:28 AM   #21
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

The best of both worlds (except isolation from rain and cold):

Old February 15th, 2016, 05:26 PM   #22
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
The best of both worlds (except isolation from rain and cold):

I could do wonders with a carriage like that!

Here is a no-no. You cannot even register a bike you built on your own.

Old February 15th, 2016, 06:06 PM   #23
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Oh these aren't backyard builds. Several companies make trailers, like..

http://www.openroadoutfitters.com/

http://www.bushtec.com/

Even hitches for sport bikes: http://sportbiketrikes.olsonracecars.com/?page_id=271
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2016, 03:26 PM   #24
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
One thing that came up while I was talking about this with my husband is that grocery shopping is quite easily done on a bicycle, with pannier racks. The ones we use are designed to fit a paper grocery bag, and fold up flat when not being used.

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Bushwhacker-Om.../dp/B00B4ZKZK0
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2016, 03:34 PM   #25
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Make your own tail rack that bolts to the passenger pegs. Here's one i made for my wifes FZ6, to give you some ideas. The aluminum piece is something off a bolt on DRZ tail rack....I didn't make that part.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2016, 03:40 PM   #26
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
One thing I haven't seen mentioned here yet.

What about a significant other?

If you don't have one how are you going out on dates?

Of course as I typed that I remembered my oldest daughter has a boyfriend without a car. He is still in college and lives about 40 miles away, rides the subway to about 10 miles from us and she picks him up at the subway station. So you can probably make it work.

Old February 16th, 2016, 05:36 PM   #27
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Wohoo.... nice modification B. Love it!

Old February 16th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #28
HoneyBadgerRy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:

Of course as I typed that I remembered my oldest daughter has a boyfriend without a car. He is still in college and lives about 40 miles away, rides the subway to about 10 miles from us and she picks him up at the subway station. So you can probably make it work.
Your saying you don't take the bike on dates?

Old February 16th, 2016, 09:13 PM   #29
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
Your saying you don't take the bike on dates?
The wife and I on the Ninjette is not a pretty sight.

Old February 17th, 2016, 07:51 PM   #30
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Ugh, I have a couple of bikes, the wife has a bike, and we both have cars.

I have it a little different, as I have major winters to deal with.

But even in 2 season riding, I have added $1500 worth of storage, on a typical day I wear $1500 worth of gear. I burn through tires in approx 7500 miles. A bike is not economical in a typical situation.

Now, go for the 3.5 season riding I do, throw another $700 worth of gear on top, a different windshield.
The paid for car with PLPD is worth it!

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2016, 10:46 PM   #31
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:

I'm not really dating or even sleeping around anymore as I'm leaving my city to go to college in a year. But the bike is a huge turn on. Boys love it. Its a dick magnet, not a chick magnet, and that absolutely applies to gay men as well. Plus it's the easiest first date ever. I know where all the pretty locations in town are.

Old February 17th, 2016, 10:56 PM   #32
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
Ugh, I have a couple of bikes, the wife has a bike, and we both have cars.

I have it a little different, as I have major winters to deal with.

But even in 2 season riding, I have added $1500 worth of storage, on a typical day I wear $1500 worth of gear. I burn through tires in approx 7500 miles. A bike is not economical in a typical situation.

Now, go for the 3.5 season riding I do, throw another $700 worth of gear on top, a different windshield.
The paid for car with PLPD is worth it!
My situation isn't typical. I have two oil changes on my Shinko's, so 6000 miles and they still look pretty darn new (not quite as grippy as what you buy, I'm sure, and they only have okay wet grip, to be fair). I don't use a windshield, and I spend less on gear than you do (go for it, scold me. I've wrecked in cheaper gear and the proof is in the pudding. It's not bottom of the barrel stuff (except my bilt boots), but still cheaper and it does a fine job of keeping me safe). Also, I'm spending about $200 on storage, still shopping around though. Possibly commissioning a friend who does cosplay and really knows how to sew to make one for me, or I may go milk crate n ammo cans. We shall see.