ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:33 PM   #1
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

Hard Shorts?

I typically wear jeans while riding. I find them much more practical than leather, especially when it's pushing 100 degrees (70%+ humidity) here. I need some kind of protection for my hips, as it seems spinal torsion from a hip impact is a leading cause of damage to the spine in motorcycle accidents.

Call me hard-headed, but I'm not a fan of the overpants idea as discussed here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...&highlight=hip

I tried the Dainese hard shorts, but the tail bone protector kills me. Anyone have any ideas?
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:48 PM   #2
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

I'm saving up for this, http://motoport.com/_product_35443/C...an_1000_Denier

But right now I'm wearing my shift jeans + dainese hard shorts and knee/shin guards. yes I know that the tailbone protector is kinda annoying, but to me it's better to have that thing in there and get a much better protection.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:26 PM   #3
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Havent tried them yet but these knox multisport armored shorts have high reviews. You can watch the video to get a better idea.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4099

I've been looking to get one of these as well. Let us know how it turns out.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:39 PM   #4
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
yes I know that the tailbone protector is kinda annoying, but to me it's better to have that thing in there and get a much better protection.
Ill tell you that I was doing rails while snowboarding, was finishing this one that ends with the pipe doing a 90 degree from straight even to a 3' drop into the ground. The board popped ahead of me somehow right at the end dropping my tail bone directly on the rail (i heard a clean SNAP when this happened) however I then had to endure a 3-4' fall onto a patch of hard ice (see, CRUNCH). I couldnt sit right for a week and now years later when its really cold I get a pain there, could also contribute to my lower back tightness at times.
If a 1' and 4' fall at 7mph can eff you up, imagine 60mph+ onto asphalt.
Protect your spine.

Edit: And your legs for that matter, find some very ventilated mesh pants.
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 05:55 AM   #5
Liber
ninjette.org sage

I guess what I'm looking for are soemthing similar to the Dainese Hard Shorts, but with a coccyx protector sitting higher up on my backside. Kaiser, Do you know where it is located on those Knox shorts?

EDIT: Derp, my bad watching the video on them now. Those look exactly like what I'm looking for. Thanks Guys! I'll buy some and review them.

Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:06 AM   #6
kaiserz

Chris, I'm gonna be honest with you, If I can go back in time I'll get the knox armored shorts. (I'm not really in love with my dainese,yes it's much cheaper but still... and oh I'm actually saving up for the knox)

Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:23 AM   #7
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Thankfully, I'm still in Revzilla's return window.

Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:12 AM   #8
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Yea I really love the knox line. I have the knox knee guards and they're so light weight and quite comfortable. Sometimes I wear it under my mesh overpants too because overpants are so loose, I dont trust the armor to stay in place. Really depends on my mood though.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 02:18 PM   #9
kaiserz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber View Post
Thankfully, I'm still in Revzilla's return window.

Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:33 PM   #10
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Havent tried them yet but these knox multisport armored shorts have high reviews. You can watch the video to get a better idea.

Those look like they'd be very good on the ski hill as well. I'm interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai
http://motoport.com/_product_35443/C...an_1000_Denier
Those look good. Almost too good. They seem to promise a lot, espicially this:
1. Equal in tear/abrasion strength to the best new road racing leather in the world.

If they can deliver, great. When you get them, put up a review!

Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:39 PM   #11
kaiserz

^ I also like the "We are the only motorcycle apparel company in the world that replaces a crashed jacket or pant if we can’t repair it ... FOR FREE." so I'm guessing It's like a lifetime warranty thing? but it sounds good to me.

Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:51 PM   #12
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Name: Joon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Is this the male version of the hot pants thread?

Ladies, please chime in.
bluesinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #13
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Limited Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
THIS. Protection from abrasion is 50% of the equation. You have the least protecive garment possible, short of shorts. The above comes with knee armor and you can get hip and tailbone armor too. Definitely worth it.

Old June 30th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #14
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post

sadly, these shorts are out of stock every where I've looked. I've called and sales reps are telling me the Cross shorts are what's replacing them. Sadly, the cross shorts have more padding which I don't need...sigh

EDIT: Actually watched some video reviews and it seems the cross shorts are a bit lighter and have a little less padding with just as much protection. Probably gonna go with them. Will review when I get.

Old July 15th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #15
2.5LGT
ninjette.org member

Name: Gao

Motorcycle(s): 05 xz6r 636, 10' Ninja 250R SE Green (sold)

Quote:
sadly, these shorts are out of stock every where I've looked. I've called and sales reps are telling me the Cross shorts are what's replacing them. Sadly, the cross shorts have more padding which I don't need...sigh

EDIT: Actually watched some video reviews and it seems the cross shorts are a bit lighter and have a little less padding with just as much protection. Probably gonna go with them. Will review when I get.
Did you get these? In need of shorts too....
2.5LGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #16
Liber
ninjette.org sage

I did, took em out for the first time yesterday. They aren't nearly as bulky as I initially thought. The tail bone guard is much better than Dainese's. I haven't put them through a long ride yet though, so I'll just say they haven't disappointed yet and I've been impressed with the comfort.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:23 PM   #17
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Quote:
I did, took em out for the first time yesterday. They aren't nearly as bulky as I initially thought. The tail bone guard is much better than Dainese's. I haven't put them through a long ride yet though, so I'll just say they haven't disappointed yet and I've been impressed with the comfort.
any update?
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #18
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Sorry guys. The last few weeks have been insane at work. Between that and trying to find time for everything else, I just haven't been on the site at all. I'll start easing back into things in the middle of October.

As kind of a 2nd prelim review: I like these KNOX shorts I bought. They feel like gym shorts. They are comfortable while riding. 90% of the time they provide enough room in the crotch, but I have noticed if you get off the bike to use the restroom or something, you should pay special attention to making sure they are in the correct spot before zipping your pants up. Otherwise, they have a tendency to ride up your thigh an inch or two, reducing room for your jewels.

Another tiny complaint is that the hip guards don't really cover your hip at all unless you wear the shorts high(thereby exacerbating the room in the crotch problem.) However, I'm fairly confident that they would prevent your hip from impacting the pavement, since they rest just below the hip.

Old September 16th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #19
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I wound up picking up some Troy Lee Designs armored shorts model 7605. http://a3.bikebandit.com/product_ima...ts-2011-LG.gif
My review/opinion is much like the Knox armor Chris has. They're a smidge bulky, but I feel that's just padding thickness. They're very comfy and don't move much once you've got 'em on (no ride-up issues). That patch on the inner thigh is soft and kinda grippy.

Not much for abrasion protection I'd imagine, as the material is for stretch and breathe-ability and the armor is spongy, but I expect it would considerably reduce the ouch factor on impact. The hip pieces have the same minor issue as Chris' Knox ones: it's a bit low while standing unless you wear the shorts really high. But once mounted, they sit in just the right place and the coccyx protector is well-placed (and not uncomfortable).

Old September 16th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #20
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Another good thing about the KNOX shorts, is that the armor pieces can be removed fairly easily from internal pockets so you can just toss them in the laundry with everything else. VERY convenient compared to the Dainese Hard Shorts.