Old February 25th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #41
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
We've done this before. It didn't.
Oops, I can't believe I fell for that one again. I added that to the article so I don't make the same mistake a third time. Hopefully it will survive the edit Nazis over there.

Old February 25th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #42
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I was never tempted by it lol I just was showing the news.

Old February 25th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #43
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Nick, the CBR 250 is basically just a mini-cruiser with a plastic body. I think a Prius with a dead battery can out accelerate and outrun the things. Don't confuse the new ones with the old ones that had 4 cylinders and power roughly equivalent to the Ninjette. The new CBR 250's only have one cylinder. That's half what a decent riding lawnmower has.

Don't be tempted by them. A Ninja is the only 250 cc sport bike worth having.
"Worth having" is a pretty subjective....

I know it's not as fast, but I find it worth having
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #44
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiainen View Post
"Worth having" is a pretty subjective....

I know it's not as fast, but I find it worth having
Like I said, the CBR250R is a mini-cruiser in a plastic dress. I know other people that have them and they love them. They admit they aren't really sport bikes. But they do make good commuter bikes.

Old February 25th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #45
pmason718
ninjette.org member

Name: Prince

Motorcycle(s): ZX10R

One word, EFI. I hope in the future that Kawasaki will decide to go this route with the 250
pmason718 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #46
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ yes nice, but not really the deal-breaker. I still would choose the carb'd ninja over the EFI CBR. I would even choose the pregen over the cbr. I think the pregen actually looks better than the cbr. These carbs work fantastically, you just need to set aside an afternoon, and do some really basic carb tuning. They aren't perfect out of the box.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #47
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmason718 View Post
One word, EFI. I hope in the future that Kawasaki will decide to go this route with the 250
For some reason Kawasaki hates us. Everybody else in the world has a fuel injected Ninjette, but we have carbs. There is nothing really wrong with carbs, but a properly tuned EFI system is better.

Kawasaki is even putting EFI on their lawnmower engines now. But Ninjettes, zip.

But then again, the UK Ninjette costs $7,380 (USD) MSRP. That's about the same as what a Ninja 650 costs in the US.

Old February 26th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #48
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I've had my 2011 CBR250R for about a year now. Traded in my 2008 Ninjette for it. Never regretted it and am looking forward to this season of riding more than any I can recall.
My 6' frame always felt cramped on the Ninja, but the CBR250R fits me like a glove. The cockpit even feels roomy. The low-end torque the single delivers makes accellerating from a stoplight a pleasure instead of a gear-gnashing chore and the transmission, clutch pull and power delivery are all smooth as silk. I can also finally see what's behind me in the mirrors instead of just my elbows. EFI, better instrumentation and not having to bring it back for a valve adjustment for 16,000 more miles is just icing on the cake.
Every time I put my CBR away after a ride I congratulate myself for finding the perfect 250 for me.
My Ninja was a nice bike too. So nice that it sold within hours of my trading it in. Hopefully the new owner will feel the same way about it as I do my Honda.
I'm sure spring can't come soon enough for either of us.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #49
johnjohn
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Honda, Buell, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha

HRC scheme... Honda Racing Colours people, the hell with comparing it to a flag.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #50
ghost-was-here
ninjette.org member

Name: rohan

Motorcycle(s): pulsar 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I think these just came out...because I just noticed lol

Starts at $4,099

w/ABS $4,599

Pictures...looks like they brought the European model color here...

I think the scheme is gross. Why doesn't the front hugger match the rear? Just my opinion.

now, for the VERY few people on this forum who are interested in cbr250r- this is just to tease you.-down here in india- cbr with abs cost about Rs. 192,000.00 otd ($3918)
ghost-was-here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #51
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
^^ yes nice, but not really the deal-breaker. I still would choose the carb'd ninja over the EFI CBR. I would even choose the pregen over the cbr. I think the pregen actually looks better than the cbr.
+1
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #52
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
My Ninja was a nice bike too. So nice that it sold within hours of my trading it in. Hopefully the new owner will feel the same way about it as I do my Honda.
Dude, they saw you coming.

BTW, I'm 6'-1" and I don't feel cramped on my pregen. I don't know about the newgen.

As far as more low end power, that's what cruisers do. Most of them redline at 6K RPM or less. Even still, I have no doubts that a pregen would leave a CBR250 in the dust from a stop.

The CBR250 is a nice bike and has some nice features, but in the end, the Ninjette, especially the pregen, will kick its butt.

Old February 26th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #53
pmason718
ninjette.org member

Name: Prince

Motorcycle(s): ZX10R

Quote:
^^ yes nice, but not really the deal-breaker. I still would choose the carb'd ninja over the EFI CBR. I would even choose the pregen over the cbr. I think the pregen actually looks better than the cbr. These carbs work fantastically, you just need to set aside an afternoon, and do some really basic carb tuning. They aren't perfect out of the box.
I agree with you but for me if the 250 was a bike i was going to keep then I would want EFI. If the 250 is a bike that I plan on learning on then selling, then yes carbs will not be a deal breaker for me.
pmason718 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #54
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Kawasaki is even putting EFI on their lawnmower engines now. But Ninjettes, zip.
Yeah, but how much does that lawnmower cost? and on top of that, there's not a percentage of the price going to body parts, which means that more of the selling price is going to the components on the fuel delivery system.

Quote:
But then again, the UK Ninjette costs $7,380 (USD) MSRP. That's about the same as what a Ninja 650 costs in the US.
Exactly. Kawasaki decided somewhere along the line that the US market wouldn't bear what they decided it would cost them to make an FI bike. It's a budget bike for Kawasaki. Until they have more reason to sell an FI 250 here (aka, emissions regulations) they won't because, hey, look at how many of us are currently riding a carb'd bike and loving it They've got a best seller that preforms well on carbs. Why would they increase the price, potentially losing business to Honda (or taking a hit by keeping the price the same) when they have a bike that already beats the competition at being a better sport bike?

Quote:
the Ninjette, especially the pregen, will kick its butt.
Dude why do you keep insisting that the pre-gen is so superior?? Have you even ridden a newgen? In stock form, they're better in every aspect except that tiny little top end that the pregen has (which is negated once you start doing intake and full systems) Not to mention, that midrange is awesome in twisties, and the suspension is so much better around turns.

Again, as a 250 rider, are you really deciding something is faster solely on top speed?? (which doesn't matter anyways, because I don't see you posting anything about drag racing experience)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmason718 View Post
I agree with you but for me if the 250 was a bike i was going to keep then I would want EFI. If the 250 is a bike that I plan on learning on then selling, then yes carbs will not be a deal breaker for me.
I plan to keep my ninjette. I got it practically new and completely stock. It's carb'd. I don't find anything to be wrong with carbs. They're easy to work on whenever you change the intake/exhaust. Maybe I'm just weird in that aspect. I mean I would love EFI for it's smoothness and throttle response, but I really don't mind the carbs. It still rides the same

Old February 26th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #55
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

The CBR isn't a cruiser, there's torque lower down than the ninja but it still redlines at 10,500...

I'd call it a standard.

Old February 26th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #56
n4mwd

Quote:
Dude why do you keep insisting that the pre-gen is so superior?? Have you even ridden a newgen? In stock form, they're better in every aspect except that tiny little top end that the pregen has (which is negated once you start doing intake and full systems) Not to mention, that midrange is awesome in twisties, and the suspension is so much better around turns.
Actually that's a subject that has been beaten to death on this forum. I'm told that the newgen has a slightly better suspension and frame and niceties like 17" rims and a fuel gauge. But as far as raw straight line performance, the pregen leaves it in the dust. That's not my opinion, that is a measured fact that you can find all over the web. See the 0-60 links above. The pregen is about 2 full seconds faster which is probably the result of having more HP.

I'm told that it isn't too shabby on the twisties either. Unfortunately, we don't haven any of those down here, but I'm hoping to get up to deals gap this summer sometime. I'll let everyone know.

Old February 26th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #57
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

I've ridden both..I don't find the straight-line performance thaaat much better on the pre-gen. I don't know about that 5.75 vs 7.whatever, pregen vs newgen 0-60. I don't think that's accurate.

I very much dislike the pre-gen's suspension, brake dive is annoying. Least in comparison to the new-gen..the suspension is much better for cornering.

Old February 26th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #58
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Go ride them back to back on curvy roads and decide which one brakes better, is more composed through turns, and has more grunt coming out of turns.

I also disagree with the large discrepancy in 6-60 times. I think 5.75 seconds is hopeful, and I think 7 is conservative. Based on my riding experiences, I think both bike are about equal in 0-60 times.

Old February 26th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #59
n4mwd

Quote:
I've ridden both..I don't find the straight-line performance thaaat much better on the pre-gen. I don't know about that 5.75 vs 7.whatever, pregen vs newgen 0-60. I don't think that's accurate.

I very much dislike the pre-gen's suspension, brake dive is annoying. Least in comparison to the new-gen..the suspension is much better for cornering.
The pregen has about 2 HP more at the rear wheel (5 more at the crank). It also has smaller tires. That probably has something to do with the increased performance.

Then to add insult to injury, the pregen gets better mileage.

See here for the specs.

Old February 26th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #60
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

The top speed may be higher. I still don't agree with those 0-60 times. Like @choneofakind is saying, if you actually got into the twisties...the newgen is much better. I doubt the MPGs riding hard are that much different.

Talk to @sendler or @greenaero if you want to talk MPGs

Old February 26th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #61
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
That 2 hp is also very dependent upon the individual bike and how it's broken in/jetted. When we're dealing with this little hp, riders who vary by 20 lbs will also make a huge difference. That 2 hp is negligible.

The tire diameter is going to be pretty much the same. The rear tire on a pregen is a 130/80-16 the new gen has a 130/60-17

130 x 0.6 = 78mm
130 x 0.8 = 104mm

26mm is just over an inch. that means that both bikes have basically the same tire diameter. Same 14/45 gearing too, so those are both negligible.

Old February 26th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #62
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

LOL..yeah that was made apparent when my friend and I used to ride our newgens together. He weighs a lot less(30-40 lbs less) than me and flew on the ninjette at higher speeds.

Old February 26th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #63
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I doubt the MPGs riding hard are that much different.
Actually they are. I'm getting like 59 when I ride hard the whole tank, 62 with varied riding, 65 with nice riding.

Old February 26th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #64
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Hmm...ok didn't know it was that different. I was more in a mid 40s with excessively hard riding. Most of the time I was at high 50s to 60s.

Old February 26th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #65
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Why does every thread about Hondas turn into a Kawasaki VS Honda war? Anyway, keep going. It's fun and interesting

Old February 26th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #66
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Lol, it's mutated into a newgen vs pregen war. Apparently the Honda isn't "good enough" for that.

I'm happy there's more competition in the 250 segment. More competition ends up helping us, the consumers.

Old February 26th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #67
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

That machine sullies the name CBR, the old 250 screamer was a great bike, that machine looks like the bastard son of a new VFR 1200.

The new ninja was designed as 33bhp to meet EU licencing restrictions (thank you safety nazis) I really don't get why Honda would make a bike with 27 or so.

The moto 3 machines are single cyl 250s, that may be their idea, but to make such an ugly and underpowered machine and call it a CBR is a crime
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #68
n4mwd

Quote:
The top speed may be higher. I still don't agree with those 0-60 times.
Well, I think I'm going to stick my camera on the tank and go out and see just what I get for 0-60. If it isn't that good, its probably due to my size. I'm 6'-1" and weigh 210# - that's a lot for a little 330# motorcycle. I might not get down to 5.7 secs in a 0-60 run, but we'll see.

I've also got carb problems right now so that will probably also affect the results.

Old February 26th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #69
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Lol, it's mutated into a newgen vs pregen war.
D is convinced the pre-gens walk on water, while the new-gens sink like stones. Many of us have owned both versions, and ridden both for many thousands of miles, but this has no bearing whatsoever on stopping the pre-gen > new-gen rants that show up in dozens and dozens of threads. The real question is, when riding the pre-gen which is better than the new-gen which is better than the honda, what type of sneakers should one choose for ultimate protection and pavement slideability?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #70
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
D is convinced the pre-gens walk on water, while the new-gens sink like stones. Many of us have owned both versions, and ridden both for many thousands of miles, but this has no bearing whatsoever on stopping the pre-gen > new-gen rants that show up in dozens and dozens of threads. The real question is, when riding the pre-gen which is better than the new-gen which is better than the honda, what type of sneakers should one choose for ultimate protection and pavement slideability?

I was going to mention that I've worn boots while riding cruisers and didn't have any problems, but I thought it was going off topic too far. And as far as I can tell, New Balance sneakers seem to be the best I have tried on the Ninjette.

Walk on water - that's just plain silly. The pregen flies over the pond.

Old February 26th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #71
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

I have to wear all my gear + boots.

I'm on the slowest bike, so it's not fun

Old February 26th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #72
johnjohn
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Honda, Buell, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha

But lets throw the ZZR250 (H model) into the mix as a pregen. Then you definitely have a better all round bike than the current 250R. Just saying as I am partial to its better looks than of a want to be SS.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #73
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Well, I think I'm going to stick my camera on the tank and go out and see just what I get for 0-60. If it isn't that good, its probably due to my size. I'm 6'-1" and weigh 210# - that's a lot for a little 330# motorcycle. I might not get down to 5.7 secs in a 0-60 run, but we'll see.
Just for devils advocate, I will do the same in spring, assuming my new camera mount can see my gauges. Bike is 330, I'm 135, and am running 14/47 gearing, so I might also be a little un-representative due to my weight and the sprockets.

Not to mention my flip plays back a little quicker than life-speed. I need to do some tests with that to know how much to add to my times to compensate.

We can just average out our numbers

And just to keep it somewhat on topic @nickjpass, I still think the CBR250 is uglier than my pregen; and she's already UGLY

Old February 26th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #74
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Lol, I guess I'll need to jump in on and do the CBR

Old February 26th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #75
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
@choneofakind

I know, it's not very attractive in my opinion.

Old February 26th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #76
n4mwd

Quote:
Just for devils advocate, I will do the same in spring, assuming my new camera mount can see my gauges. Bike is 330, I'm 135, and am running 14/47 gearing, so I might also be a little un-representative due to my weight and the sprockets.

Not to mention my flip plays back a little quicker than life-speed. I need to do some tests with that to know how much to add to my times to compensate.

We can just average out our numbers

And just to keep it somewhat on topic @nickjpass, I still think the CBR250 is uglier than my pregen; and she's already UGLY
Why do you say your bike is ugly? It is because its green? Why is your frog NOT green? Do you have a problem with green?

Anyhow, at 135# your bike should scream. Mine has to lug around about 100# more than that - me and my top case.

As far as the frame speed, tape a stopwatch or something with a second hand in the view of the camera. Then calculate off that.

Old February 26th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #77
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
haha I only joke about it being ugly. I love the classic lines. But lets face it, it does look a little dated compared do todays new sexy bikes like the R6 or the Daytona 675. Everyone just seems so convinced that they're ugly that I think it's funny.

yes. yes it does

That was my plan. I was going to test by taping a stop watch and going frame by frame and getting an average of how many 1/100ths of a second elaps between each frame, and it takes 30 fps, so I should be able to get a ratio of actual timelayback time.

TEAM GREEN WOO WOO!

Old February 27th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #78
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
haha I only joke about it being ugly. I love the classic lines. But lets face it, it does look a little dated compared do todays new sexy bikes like the R6 or the Daytona 675. Everyone just seems so convinced that they're ugly that I think it's funny.
I like it! I've learnt to admire the pre-2008 ninjette: an acquired taste
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #79
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Kind of like Vegemite.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #80
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Or Blue Cheese (or is it Gorgonzola techinically?? idk, DELICIOUS!)

See that's what @Alex does; he tears you down with his witty, passive-aggressive comments. They make you smile, then cry!

and he always seems to do it when talking about my ninjette's charming beauty

makes me , then , then I realize what he just did there.