ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 4th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #1
coelgrim
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Unhappy Is this normal, the level of coolant in filler neck after changing it?(with picts)

Hello everyone, I am newbie here and I own an ninja 250R yr2010, I just changing my coolant here (following standar procedure in service manual).
I drain the old coolant,
Drain the coolant from reservoir tank, then
I put a new coolant in till the filler neck and full line in reservoir tank!
then I purging the air using normal procedure (running the engine with radiator cap OFF).

After that, I put the radiator cap ON, and then running the engine till the radiator FAN swings!

voila, that should be done, then I open the radiator cap, check the coolant level,and found the coolant level is dropped a bit, then I add a small amount of coolant to get to full of filler neck.

and then again I warm up the engine (this time by riding it around my neighbourhood), stop and wait till cold, then open the radiator cap again, check the coolant level, I just shocked, AGAIN, why the coolant level is again, dropped a bit??

Here is the picture of the level where coolant dropped a bit :

more close up pict :

Even so , the level of coolant in reservoir tank is just fine !

the view when reservoir cap off :

Please help me, is the level of coolant normal? Does this happen to everybody? Thanks btw

coelgrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
It is just air trapped between that point and the overflow tank.

It is not "normal", but won't hurt if the engine doesn't overheat.

That cap is a relief valve (when coolant gains temperature) and a vacuum valve (when the coolant looses temperature).

In your case, either there is some air in the system that is collected there at the end of each heating-cooling cycle or there is too much air in the hose between the radiator and the expansion (overflow) tank, so the vacuum valve sucks back only air, not coolant.

I believe that trapped air is going to be vented out eventually, unless your cap is not working properly.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_a_radiator_cap_work

Never open that cap when the coolant is hot !!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2012, 08:29 AM   #3
klewi
Ninjette of the North

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

The SOP for changing cloolant says to add new coolant very slowly to allow trapped air to escape. If you were like me, a little to impatient, you can have quite a bit of air in the system.

It took me several heat and cool cycles to get all the air out. What you're seeing is normal, if you rushed the initial filling. Run it up to temp a few times and eventually the level will stabilize.

Cheers

Old November 4th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #4
coelgrim
ninjette.org member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
It is just air trapped between that point and the overflow tank.

It is not "normal", but won't hurt if the engine doesn't overheat.

That cap is a relief valve (when coolant gains temperature) and a vacuum valve (when the coolant looses temperature).

In your case, either there is some air in the system that is collected there at the end of each heating-cooling cycle or there is too much air in the hose between the radiator and the expansion (overflow) tank, so the vacuum valve sucks back only air, not coolant.

I believe that trapped air is going to be vented out eventually, unless your cap is not working properly.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_a_radiator_cap_work

Never open that cap when the coolant is hot !!
Finnaly a response though :-D , so i just need to ride my ninjete more, and the air in radiator will come out eventually? :-D a relieve on that thanks to you matofolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by klewi View Post
The SOP for changing cloolant says to add new coolant very slowly to allow trapped air to escape. If you were like me, a little to impatient, you can have quite a bit of air in the system.

It took me several heat and cool cycles to get all the air out. What you're seeing is normal, if you rushed the initial filling. Run it up to temp a few times and eventually the level will stabilize.

Cheers
Second response, thanks too,
I think I pour the coolant very super extremily SLOW! took a couple of minutes till the radiator is full , why is there still air ?

So I dont need to add the coolant more into the filler neck , The radiator will automatically use the coolant from the reservoir tank, wont it? (when the air is gone, then the colant level will stabililze?)

Old November 4th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #5
klewi
Ninjette of the North

Keep topping up the filler neck each time. It's a pain but you want the level above the hole you've shown in this picture. Until the air is purged, each time you bring it up to temp you will see it drop back below this point. Eventually it will stay above. Then check it a couple more times
Attached Images
File Type: jpg filler neck.jpg (102.1 KB, 2 views)

Old November 4th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #6
coelgrim
ninjette.org member

Talking

Quote:
Keep topping up the filler neck each time. It's a pain but you want the level above the hole you've shown in this picture. Until the air is purged, each time you bring it up to temp you will see it drop back below this point. Eventually it will stay above. Then check it a couple more times
So ur opinion is I better keep topping it up until the coolant stabillize in top level of filler neck?
also my english is bad, what do you mean by "bring it up to temp" ? is it until the radiator fans on ?

thanks again

Old November 4th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #7
klewi
Ninjette of the North

Yes, keep topping up. It took me 2-3 times to have it stabilize. Yes until the fan comes on. Then let it cool down and check it again.

I added to the pic in my previous post to show where the service manual shows to top up to, "Fill the radiator up to the filler neck".

When done make sure the level in the reserve tank is within limits.

Old November 4th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #8
coelgrim
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yes, keep topping up. It took me 2-3 times to have it stabilize. Yes until the fan comes on. Then let it cool down and check it again.

I added to the pic in my previous post to show where the service manual shows to top up to, "Fill the radiator up to the filler neck".

When done make sure the level in the reserve tank is within limits.
yesterday I already slept ! doh!

ok I got it, will try it now thanks

Old November 5th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #9
coelgrim
ninjette.org member

eerrr I already top it up 2 times more! but the level just wont go up ! ,
Try to do it again then

Old November 5th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
If the problem persists much longer, then check what is breaking the vacuum when the coolant cools down and sucks back from the overflow tank.

You may have a little leak of air in the hose (that connects the neck of the radiator to the overflow tank) or in the cap (the relief valve or the gasket), check those.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #11
coelgrim
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
If the problem persists much longer, then check what is breaking the vacuum when the coolant cools down and sucks back from the overflow tank.

You may have a little leak of air in the hose (that connects the neck of the radiator to the overflow tank) or in the cap (the relief valve or the gasket), check those.
Nothing leaks! it is good, I think I just have to try riding it a couple of miles, then check of it, the air just will go out eventually , like u said, right?