ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 20th, 2011, 03:15 AM   #1
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Near Misses

I thought it would be an interesting thread for people to tell about their near misses on their bikes. You almost went down, but avoided it somehow. Maybe it was your fault and maybe it was someone elses. Maybe something fell off the truck you were following and you swerved to avoid it.

In my case, I have several. Last night I was going home on a two lane road and this idiot in a car coming the opposite way just switched into my lane into my path on my side of the road. I was able to avoid hitting him by going off to the right and nearly off the road. After I got by him, I could see he was trying to turn left into a side street.

I could see into the car as I passed. He wasn't texting or talking on the phone, he just had the brains of a slug.

Old August 20th, 2011, 03:49 AM   #2
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Since I'd be sitting here all night typing out how many times people have almost hit me, I'll just talk about how I almost faceplanted trying to make a u-turn.

Road: 2 lanes north, 2 lanes south, divided in the center by a grassy median, not raised and no curb. Has traffic lights and paved areas to u-turn between each light.

I was going north, the not so busy side, and realized I had to go the other way. The south road was pretty busy with everything going home. My light changed to green and I sped up to beat the other traffic to the u-turn. Since this is a story about me almost faceplanting trying to make a u-turn, obviously the other traffic caught up fast enough. I had just entered the u-turn area when I realized I wouldn't make it. I had to slam on my brakes, and since I had already started turning, my bike almost fell over on the left side, and almost threw me over (my right foot left the ground). I don't know how I managed to keep the bike from going down or how I didn't fall into traffic, but I did and it scared the crap out of me.

Old August 20th, 2011, 04:02 AM   #3
n4mwd

I hate U-turns. I failed that part of the MSF course. They scare the crap out of me even when nobody is around. When I have to do one, I'm usually creeping with both feet dragging the ground.

Old August 20th, 2011, 04:14 AM   #4
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Key things to remember as you practice getting better at U-turns:

1) Before you turn the bars, you should already be looking all the way to the exit of your turn. Yes, this means turn your head so that you are looking backward briefly. Crazy, I know, but works like a CHARM! ***MOST important!
2) Stay loose, not tense. ***2nd most important! Loose on the bars is the best strategy in nearly any case. U-turns are no exception. Tensing up causes you to fight the bike, especially if you're nervous. Just let the bike do it's thing and keep your upper body loose.
3) If you need to slow down, use only the rear brake. It will help you stand up if you feel the bike is about to tip (that is, as long as you don't apply the rear brake to its stopping point).
4) Counterweight by shifting your body weight to the outside peg.

Look at U-turns as a fun challenge. Get out in an empty parking lot and practice. When you get it down, they're actually pretty fun. Then you can start practicing figure-8s!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 04:44 AM   #5
n4mwd

Being tense on the bars was/is my biggest problem with low speed riding. I am far better after 6000 miles, but most of that is straight riding. I am thinking about sneaking back over to the range one day when nobody is around and see if I am any better.

Old August 20th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #6
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post

1) Before you turn the bars, you should already be looking all the way to the exit of your turn. Yes, this means turn your head so that you are looking backward briefly. Crazy, I know, but works like a CHARM! ***MOST important!
2) Stay loose, not tense. ***2nd most important! Loose on the bars is the best strategy in nearly any case. U-turns are no exception. Tensing up causes you to fight the bike, especially if you're nervous. Just let the bike do it's thing and keep your upper body loose.
3) If you need to slow down, use only the rear brake. It will help you stand up if you feel the bike is about to tip (that is, as long as you don't apply the rear brake to its stopping point).
4) Counterweight by shifting your body weight to the outside peg.

Look at U-turns as a fun challenge. Get out in an empty parking lot and practice. When you get it down, they're actually pretty fun. Then you can start practicing figure-8s!
Another tip I would add is throttle control. You have to know the appropriate times when to throttle on and when to throttle off.

On my bicycle, which is different, but just an example, you need to know when to pedal, and when not to. I've never dropped my bike in a u-turn, but have come close.

Old August 20th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #7
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

I came into a decreasing radius turn too fast and as the edge of the road kept coming closer and closer somehow by the grace of the stock tires I unconsciously leaned stupid far and made it through the turn.

Felt like the bike was traveling on its side. I wish I had a picture of me doing that and the horrified look on my face.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

A few come to mind. Several near-miss deer experiences. Running right in front of the bike at speed, running right next to the bike at speed at night, etc.

On the highway one from a few years back still gives Annie and me the chills at times. We were 2-up, coming back home on a major highway here in the bay area. Choppy traffic, but crowded. We were splitting at times, staying within traffic occasionally as things smoothed out. A minivan crowded full of people comes up from behind, driving quickly and erratically. Not staying in lanes, not signaling in between lanes, etc. My spidey-senses are clanging away at full volume. He passes us on the right, and moves in front of us into the left-most lane. He passes another car or two by going around them on the right. He loses control, and when he's coming back into the left lane, he clips the right rear of a car that's already there. We're all going about 40 - 50 mph at this point, and I'm about 4 - 5 carlengths behind him. His impact with the other car causes the minivan to spin sideways, and not only block the left lane, but the middle lane as well. I was immediately swerving right as he hit, but as the minivan swung around, I had to swerve right much harder as the vehicle was coming right at us. Ann says she closed her eyes, completely expecting us to centerpunch the sideways van, but we were able to just make it around without hitting it, without hitting anything to our sides, and without anyone hitting us from behind (which is always the worry in quick pile-ups on the freeway).

I pulled over immediately to talk to the LEO's who would be along shortly. I let the CHP officer know I was a witness to the accident, and described what I saw. He asked if I felt that he should give the driver of the minivan a ticket. I let him know sure, but it would be helpful if he could drag him around back and beat the crap out of him prior to just a silly traffic ticket. He smiled. There were minor injuries to his passengers (a whole family on board ), but no more serious injuries to them or anyone else. And especially thankful there were none to us.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #9
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Oh I forgot. My near misses (on a bicycle) : If I get close to crashing, I usually do. Usually it's my own fault or I wasn't paying attention/screwing around. I usually end up with road rash. But if it's a near miss, it usually consists of me not paying attention, riding off the road, hitting sand, and falling over or up.

Old August 20th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #10
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I'll just do the most recent one:

Was turning on to a road behind several cars, speed limit of 55. I got up to speed, turned on blinker, and moved to the left lane. As I was about to pass a car infront of me, they started coming in to my lane (no blinker, no signalling).

I hit my brakes and went as far to the left of the lane as possible. It was the curb, my bike, and the car. I could have punched the window if I wanted to take my hand off my brakes. The lady finally noticed me and swerved back.

Idiot waved at me when she got back in her lane, as if waving was enough for me to forgive her for almost killing me.

Got up to a stoplight and I stopped right next to her window to do the "intimidating motorcycle helmet staredown".... she refused to even look my way. Dead set 1000 yard stare straight ahead, probably scared sh***** that I'd do something. Fine by me, maybe next time she'll check her damn blindspot.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #11
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I never try to avoid being "Near Misses" it's the Mrs. I try to avoid.

Old August 20th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #12
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I've never dropped my bike in a u-turn, but have come close.
a 20 lb bike and you almost eat it

Old August 20th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #13
n4mwd

Lane Changers

I've been pretty lucky so far with lane changers. So far, they have all been slow changers which gives me enough time to either zip, dart or brake. However, I have been behind some that are fast changers in that they change lanes abruptly and without signaling. Usually, they are completely in the new lane within one second. It would be hard to react if I was next to one of them.

Where I grew up, kids under 18 were required to ride their bicycles on the sidewalk. Anyhow, one day, this lady in a car darts out of her driveway right in front of me and stops. I go splat on the side of her car at 15 mph. Took me a week to get the front wheel straightened out. Spokes aren't my thing. I don't blame her for the accident, but it probably sewed the seeds of my bad attitude toward cagers.

Old August 20th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #14
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

This:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...700#post280700

And this:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...295#post350295

Oh, and if people are talking bicycles... I did this big MS charity ride in June, over 1000 riders, and it was a bit rainy in the (early) morning. They had changed the route from the previous years, and we went over this bridge that had the big metal plates. We're packed in pretty tight since it's the beginning of the ride, and someone in front of me slows down unexpectedly while we're on this bridge, going downhill over wet metal. I inexplicably grab a handful of rear brake and of course the rear wheel now wants to become the front wheel. I am now proceeding straight, but the frame of my bike is no joke at a 45 degree angle to my direction of travel. In my mind I have the split-second thought, "There is no friggin' way I'm getting out of this one. I am about to go down and get run over by like 800 bicycles." I let go of the rear brake, and the bike magically and instantaneously whips back into line, and somehow I stay upright. This all happens in a span of no more than two seconds. I then grab the front brake as a large contingent of riders behind me yell "front brake!" I wasn't going that fast, but man oh man if I went down there was nowhere for all those bicycles behind me to go except right the hell into my crumpled heap.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #15
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytse Frobozz View Post
This:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...700#post280700

And this:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...295#post350295

Oh, and if people are talking bicycles... I did this big MS charity ride in June, over 1000 riders, and it was a bit rainy in the (early) morning. They had changed the route from the previous years, and we went over this bridge that had the big metal plates. We're packed in pretty tight since it's the beginning of the ride, and someone in front of me slows down unexpectedly while we're on this bridge, going downhill over wet metal. I inexplicably grab a handful of rear brake and of course the rear wheel now wants to become the front wheel. I am now proceeding straight, but the frame of my bike is no joke at a 45 degree angle to my direction of travel. In my mind I have the split-second thought, "There is no friggin' way I'm getting out of this one. I am about to go down and get run over by like 800 bicycles." I let go of the rear brake, and the bike magically and instantaneously whips back into line, and somehow I stay upright. This all happens in a span of no more than two seconds. I then grab the front brake as a large contingent of riders behind me yell "front brake!" I wasn't going that fast, but man oh man if I went down there was nowhere for all those bicycles behind me to go except right the hell into my crumpled heap.
Motorcycle physics for the win

Old August 20th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #16
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

I was making a right turn at normal speed because I had a green light.
But it had rained just 5 minutes prior, and the crosswalk paint was as slick as can be.
So my back tire slid out on the crosswalk, then caught traction.
But my handlebars did the OH **** I LOST SOME TRACTION NO WAIT THERE IT IS wobble.
Then going over the second crosswalk, my rear tire slid out again.
Again, it did the traction wobble, but this time, there was a car waiting to turn left.
That scared the crap outta me, and I almost panicked.
Thankfully I corrected before lowsiding into the car.

I was completely derp because I rarely ride in rain, and forgot LOLNOTRACTION on painted lines.

Old August 20th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #17
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r 03 Yamaha R6 (Project bike)

A noob mistake I made a couple of weeks ago was when riding around my apartment complex. A guy in a minivan started to back out quickly without looking right in front of me. I quickly applied the brakes and came to a stop. The problem was since I was not expecting a stop I failed to squeeze my knees together so the bike stopped but I kept going. My crouch slammed right into the tank and pain followed lol. As soon as I stopped the guy stopped and realizing he was wrong waved me to go. However due to me being in pain I waved for him to just go. I can only imagine the way I looked he must have thought he hit me or something lol.
pilotgeorge747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2011, 01:15 AM   #18
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

^ Heh, my friend did that about 4 times when I was teaching him to ride. He was limping by the time we were finished the first day.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:04 AM   #19
LazyMaxy
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

near misses

A buddy of mine was on his cruiser when he was nearly sideswiped off this planet by some lady checking her email while driving.. luckily he was able to get her attention by lifting his boot and kicking her side view mirror off. What could he say... he didn't want to die that day. Ha!
LazyMaxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:08 AM   #20
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyMaxy View Post
A buddy of mine was on his cruiser when he was nearly sideswiped off this planet by some lady checking her email while driving.. luckily he was able to get her attention by sending her an e-mail that said "Subject: Message: OMFG! SWERVE RIGHT!" Ha!
Fixed.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:51 AM   #21
LazyMaxy
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

That's a good one.
LazyMaxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2011, 02:00 PM   #22
ninja_sleeper
ninjette.org guru

Name: Carrie

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:

Ally, I learned this in my BRT course (oregon MSF) and have been practicing on my turns, etc. It freaks me out though to the point where sometimes I stop looking through my turn, and I can feel that Im not following through all the way. Any tips on making a habit of this? I always feel like there is something else I need to be looking at that isn't so far ahead. Like where I am at on the road. lol.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:24 PM   #23
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I never try to avoid being "Near Misses" it's the Mrs. I try to avoid.
LMAO! 2nd time tonight! You rock because I needed some laughter on a Monday.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:33 PM   #24
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
There were minor injuries to his passengers (a whole family on board ), but no more serious injuries to them or anyone else. And especially thankful there were none to us.
Alex, that sounded nasty! What a friggin miracle both you and your wife were able to get out of that with no problem. That just goes to show what practicing those emergency skills can do! It is inspiring me to do a bit more practice myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_sleeper View Post
It freaks me out though to the point where sometimes I stop looking through my turn, and I can feel that Im not following through all the way. Any tips on making a habit of this? I always feel like there is something else I need to be looking at that isn't so far ahead. Like where I am at on the road. lol.
It freaked me out for the longest time too. It took me nearly a year to be comfortable with U-turns. Once you learn to trust the bike and trust the physics behind what you're doing, you learn how to be comfortable with it. That doesn't mean I nail 100% of them 100% of the time. Sometimes we all have off-days. It also doesn't mean I should stop practicing. I try to go out to a parking lot 2-3 times a year and practice smoothing out my low-speed maneuvers.
As far as tips to help looking through the turn become a habit? Well, just think about the fact that where you are on the road is not nearly as important as where you want to end up, right? Practicing in a wide circle staring a cone in the center is a good way to practice not only looking through the turn (at the cone the whole time around), but you can gradually tighten your circle. Our bikes can easily do a full-locked bar position U-turn. Ask me how I know. So as long as you're counterweighting the bike and not touching the front brake, you can do a slow turn way further than you will be comfortable with doing, and your bike will pull through for you. Trust it.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:52 PM   #25
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the other day (saturday? maybe friday...) two bicyclists crashed into each other right next to me... i didn't see it but i heard it and looked over and they were on the ground. it sounded like a bad one and one of the dudes yelled something right before hand. almost felt bad enough to pull over but there wasn't a good way to do so. wish i had my camera running for that *doh* (i was waiting to make a turn)

Old August 22nd, 2011, 05:26 PM   #26
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Quote:
I don't generally have problems with u-turns. My issue was I was coming in too hot in the first place, and had to make an emergency stop because I misjudged traffic. Any other time I'm making a u-turn, I'm fine. Except the few places I make u-turns frequently, as the roads are incredibly terrible, ridden with potholes and gravel.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 05:32 PM   #27
Darling Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Annette

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren13 View Post
Closest was a guy merging into my lane at 40mph, on top of me(i'm already on the left next to a guardrail) so I sped up and slipped right past his bumper barely. Man I was freaking out for the next five minutes.
This happened to me two weeks ago. It was a Prius and the guy was looking at his phone. He didn't signal or anything. I was trying to hurry up and get out of his blind spot because I kind of anticipated that he might do that. I just accelerated and got out of his way.

I was upset, but what can I do? I shook my fist at him haha.

Old September 10th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #28
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Your worst near miss?

What was your worst near miss?

I was driving along to school in about May and was in a 2 lane road i was in the right lane travelling about with my tire in line with the cagers rear bumper, he was taking a left turn and some dumb bitch from oncoming didn't bother to check if it's clear before taking a right and boom popped up infront of me.
Luckily I was smart and aware of dumb drivers and was covering my brakes and came to a very very quick emergency stop coming very close to her right side doors with a child sitting in the back... I honked at her for about 20 meters...followed her just to do so.

Worst part was my girlfriend was on the back; made it that much harder to stop and would have felt horrible if we hit.
Parents probably wouldn't allow her on my bike ever again.
Luckily MSF course taught me well.

Old September 10th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #29
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged with recent near-miss thread

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #30
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Didnt miss mine last night

Old September 10th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #31
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
What was your worst near miss?

I was driving along to school in about May and was in a 2 lane road i was in the right lane travelling about with my tire in line with the cagers rear bumper, he was taking a left turn and some dumb bitch from oncoming didn't bother to check if it's clear before taking a right and boom popped up infront of me.
Luckily I was smart and aware of dumb drivers and was covering my brakes and came to a very very quick emergency stop coming very close to her right side doors with a child sitting in the back... I honked at her for about 20 meters...followed her just to do so.

Worst part was my girlfriend was on the back; made it that much harder to stop and would have felt horrible if we hit.
Parents probably wouldn't allow her on my bike ever again.
Luckily MSF course taught me well.
Well done for being prepared. Sounds like you handled it well. Even the honking seems like a good thing to do lol: she probably felt pretty embarrassed/scared after that and hopefully that'll stay in her mind so she bothers to properly look before pulling out next time.

I think I'm only going to carry pillions who themselves are bikers. This way I can be reasonably sure they know the risks of being on the bike. I'd feel terrible if I was in that situation and actually crashed the bike and the pillion passenger got hurt.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #32
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
Didnt miss mine last night
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #33
Indy250r
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 KTM 990 ADV

Near miss?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuCN6CD8j_s
Indy250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #34
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy250r View Post
For what seems to be the first time ever I read an insightful comment on youtube. The comment read:
Quote:
It's funny when he says it, but it's really not that hard to get. The difference is intent.

If you are trying to hit something, and you miss by a small margin, it's a near hit.

If you are trying NOT to hit something, and you almost do, it's a near miss. Near refers to proximity in this case.

Old September 17th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #35
n4mwd

Another one today.

I was making a right hand turn in the outermost lane with the green arrow at an intersection. Suddenly this idiot in an SUV talking on his cell phone decides to make a U-turn right in front of me without looking. I was doing about 45 on damp pavement around that corner.

Fortunately, I was able to stop with the front brakes just shy of his SUV by about two feet. He never even stopped or slowed down.

It was one of those black Cadillac escalades. Damm idiot thinks he doesn't have to obey traffic laws because he's better than everyone else.

Old March 6th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #36
n4mwd

There have been dozens since I last posted, but today's was a little different.

I was in the inner left turn lane behind another guy. The idiot was in the outer left turn lane. On green, the guy in front of me makes a quick U-turn and leaves me in front. As I'm making the turn, the idiot in the outer turn lane decides he wants my lane and just turns into me. Fortunately I was able to zip out of his way.

Another text message successfully sent!

Old March 7th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #37
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

I've had a few in my time.

Not long after getting the bike I was taking it for a spin as far as my university, just to get to know the road that bit better. I was at about 40mph & the light in front of me just turned green when a ******** in a 40' artic truck decided to run the red light.
I went full on the brakes & stoppied the bike ( right in front of a group of students who started cheering & clapping. I don't know how I did that right, havn't tried it since) but I didn't have the clutch far enough in & as the back wheel sat back down the bike cut out (the gang on the path almost pissed themselves laughing)

On a motorway (highway) fast lane passing cages when one dumb bitch decided to pull across into my lane without checking. I was at 80mph & she just cut in front of me & began drifting in closer & closer. A blast of the horn didn't get her attention, I had someone tailgating me so I couldn't drop back & she was cutting in diagonally so I couldn't roll on. It took me punching her window for her to realise that I was there. She cut back across her own lane and into the far left one (we drive on the left) nearly taking out another cage on her way through.

On the way to a buddy's leaving do from work I was on a twisty badly surfaced 60mph road, one of the guys had told me about a blind corner on that stretch where idiots come into it at full pace & never expect anything to be there. I dropped my pace & went for the corner, but it swung out to the right & then sharp left into a 100° left hand decreasing radius turn & I botched my line & cut it very tight. As I came around the apex I found a dopy cager who cut the corner & was right in the middle of where I should have been.
I had to tuck in even tighter & missed him by about an inch and a half.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #38
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
On a motorway (highway) fast lane passing cages when one dumb bitch decided to pull across into my lane without checking. I was at 80mph & she just cut in front of me & began drifting in closer & closer. A blast of the horn didn't get her attention, I had someone tailgating me so I couldn't drop back & she was cutting in diagonally so I couldn't roll on. It took me punching her window for her to realise that I was there. She cut back across her own lane and into the far left one (we drive on the left) nearly taking out another cage on her way through.
Some people

I would've needed to pull over if that happened to me and cool off before continuing my ride.

Old March 8th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #39
cmlilley
ninjette.org member

Name: Christian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Close Call

Hey guys, I didn't see thread yet so I figured I would start one.

I had my first close call today. I was approaching a stoplight today when It turned right at the point of no return. there was heavy traffic at the light and I couldn't blow through it so I very quickly slowed down. I gave the bike too much rear brake and locked up the back tire. My rear tire skidded, fishtailed, and made the worst squealing noise possible. I was able to keep the bike under control and made it to a stop safely. Then the guy at the opposite light started waving at me and like "dude that was awesome" and he kept doing the tiger woods fist pump he was so exited. Due to this extra encouragement I was able to stay emotionally sane and arrived at my destination safe and sound.
cmlilley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #40
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Hahaha, awesome, glad to hear that your okay, and you held the bike up!
gilmorec61 is offline   Reply With Quote