ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old April 11th, 2014, 01:56 AM   #1
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

US101/CA58/33/166 Loop

Made a nice loop today:

101 58 33 166 Loop Map.jpg

One other rider joined me. It was cold and foggy going through Pismo, then warmed up quickly as soon as we went over the grade. Most of the ride it was at least mid-80s, which is getting on the uncomfortably warm side for me, but we made it.

I got about 2 hours and 20 minutes worth of video before my camera died, so most of the 166 I don't have video of. Next time I'll pack my spare battery. I edited the video down to about 20 minutes, seen here:

Link to original page on YouTube.

I had my first kind of scary loss of traction (I've lost traction briefly a couple times before but only very briefly...this one lasted a bit longer and I wasn't sure if it was going to come back) at about 3:30 in the video when I ran over some gravel with my front tire. Otherwise it was an incident free ride.

And here are the famous Hwy 58 whoop de doos.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Last futzed with by jeffb502; April 14th, 2014 at 10:00 PM.
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2014, 08:28 AM   #2
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Sounds like fun! I'll have to try that loop sometime. Have any favorite parts? I've heard nice things about 33 near Ojai.

@Alex Should this be moved to "Ride Reports" ?
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2014, 08:43 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #4
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

I have been planning a ride from Stockton to Morro Bay, a lot of it via Hwy 33. After seeing your video, I'm not so sure spending so much time on Hwy 33 is worth it. There seems to be a lot of bad road surfaces, and the scenery sure ain't so scenic! I will probably avoid a good chunk of Hwy 33 now. Has anyone riden Hwy 25 between Hollister and Hwy 198? I understand it's a really nice ride, especially in the spring when it's still green.
Kevin1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2014, 09:45 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

25 is one of my favorite roads.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2014, 09:52 AM   #6
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Then 25 it is!

Old April 11th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #7
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1956 View Post
I have been planning a ride from Stockton to Morro Bay, a lot of it via Hwy 33. After seeing your video, I'm not so sure spending so much time on Hwy 33 is worth it. There seems to be a lot of bad road surfaces, and the scenery sure ain't so scenic! I will probably avoid a good chunk of Hwy 33 now. Has anyone riden Hwy 25 between Hollister and Hwy 198? I understand it's a really nice ride, especially in the spring when it's still green.
That's the north section of hwy 33 and it just a noting road like so many others in the Central Valley. The 33 is only worth while south off 166 when it goes over the mountains. The roads are going to be dirty because three weeks ago when I tried to ride through there on my way to LA it was all closed due to mud slides.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #8
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Yes, I understand the section from 166 to Ojai is pretty cool, but I'm not going that far south. I just want to avoid the flat brown crispy oil field lands around Mendota, Taft, Coalinga and beyond. In the far north 33 begins at Tracy, with green farms and a roadway as smooth as glass. I prefer that section when heading south from my area, as I can avoid the seemingly endless drone of featureless and boring I-5. I avoid freeways anyway, as I work weekends and ride on weekdays. Too many trucks and head-in-the-butt commuters during the week.

Old April 11th, 2014, 02:57 PM   #9
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNewb View Post
Sounds like fun! I'll have to try that loop sometime. Have any favorite parts? I've heard nice things about 33 near Ojai.

Alex Should this be moved to "Ride Reports" ?
I liked the curvy sections of 58 on either side of the plains. Also there is a section of quick up and down hills on the straight middle section of 58 between the curvy sections where people will frequently get their front tire (and sometimes the whole bike) in the air at the right speed. We took it at less than triple digit speeds and I could still feel the roller coaster effect (forks compress as you hit the uphill, stomach gets light on the downhill).

My long day off ride next week involves the 33 from the 166 to Ojai. I've driven that once in my car and it's much nicer than the flat section of 33 I rode for this loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Thanks for moving the thread Alex...I meant to put it in ride reports but somehow it wound up in general. At least I didn't post twice with the database error going on .

Quote:
I kind of liked the oil rigs on 33, and the dusty old oil town feel of McKittrick, but I guess I'm just weird. The good section of 33 is next week's ride. Also, 58 is supposed to have some beautiful wildflowers this time of the year, but the drought isn't helping.

Drought Map.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
That's the north section of hwy 33 and it just a noting road like so many others in the Central Valley. The 33 is only worth while south off 166 when it goes over the mountains. The roads are going to be dirty because three weeks ago when I tried to ride through there on my way to LA it was all closed due to mud slides.
Yeah once I got to the central valley I felt sorry for all the people that have to ride those long, flat, straight roads to get to the fun stuff. I guess I'm spoiled having all sorts of fun in my back yard.

Quote:
Yes, I understand the section from 166 to Ojai is pretty cool, but I'm not going that far south. I just want to avoid the flat brown crispy oil field lands around Mendota, Taft, Coalinga and beyond. In the far north 33 begins at Tracy, with green farms and a roadway as smooth as glass. I prefer that section when heading south from my area, as I can avoid the seemingly endless drone of featureless and boring I-5. I avoid freeways anyway, as I work weekends and ride on weekdays. Too many trucks and head-in-the-butt commuters during the week.
If I was in Stockton I would get west towards the hills/coast as quick as possible. Once you're closer to the coast the temps come down and the roads get curvier. The north section of 33 looks very boring.

Old April 11th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #10
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

As I mentioned jeffb502, I work weekends and ride workdays. Getting to the coast or even the coastal mountain ranges from Stockton would put me in some of the nastiest commuter traffic (Bay Area) in Northern California. I'll always go for boring if it means it's a safer and less stressful ride! Even the two lane backroads going that way are jammed with impatient and inattentive drivers. Going east to the Sierras is fine, but I'm kind of jaded and bored with that. I'm Jonesing for some ocean!

Old April 11th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #11
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
25 is one of my favorite roads.
Maybe I'll have to try the inland route and take 25 for part of my return trip from the upcoming ninjetter rally.

Quote:
As I mentioned jeffb502, I work weekends and ride workdays. Getting to the coast or even the coastal mountain ranges from Stockton would put me in some of the nastiest commuter traffic (Bay Area) in Northern California. I'll always go for boring if it means it's a safer and less stressful ride! Even the two lane backroads going that way are jammed with impatient and inattentive drivers. Going east to the Sierras is fine, but I'm kind of jaded and bored with that. I'm Jonesing for some ocean!
Stop being such a Negative Nancy . Some of the most fun I've had on two wheels was lane splitting on the 101/134/210 in 4-5pm weekday traffic from Thousand Oaks to San Dimas. Guess that's just me being weird again...

Old April 12th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #12
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Negative Nancy? LOL @ Jeff! If I was to travel I-580 through the Bay Area during the morning commute, I might as well tatoo "Organ Donor" on my forehead!