ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 16th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #1
snowlife
ninjette.org member

Name: snow

Motorcycle(s): BMW f800gs

Motorbikes for shorter people

I have been researching a low bike for my short girlfriend. The 250r get alot of respect/mentions regarding this topic. (vx/virago 250 is the main learner/cruisers mentioned for lerner&shorter riders, BUT cruiser is not a chance for my GF.)

I found this photo, and I think that she should have raised/platform boots for the ability for feel safe when putting her foot down/stopping.

I found this photo, but I question how easy it is to change gear? (I have race boots and off road boots, the off-road make it hard to change gear (STIFF).) I think the platforms would make it hard/almost impossible to change gear.

See platform boot picture.
http://pnwriders.com/klamath-falls/4...rt-people.html.
Any experiences/thoughts?
snowlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #2
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

snow, why not just lower the bike - IMO that is much safer than trying to compensate with footwear that may pose a problem with the operation of the bike

Old August 16th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #3
zail
ninjette.org member

Name: zail

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

I agree with Kim... I got a pair of Daytona Ladystar boots (Here they are) on the grounds that they are a proper built up bike boot.... I hated them - not only hard to change gear (although many bikes can be adjusted to make the distance between peg and gear change bigger) but also I thought they made it harder to get any feedback about the ride through the footpegs... However, your mate may love them - lots of the women on a UK bike forum I'm on swear by them...

Old August 16th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

As a 5'2" male I understand this problem with seat heights. I can say by all accounts that the 250r is excellent for shorter statured people especially if they are beginner riders. Now as she gains experience I know that Ducati's tend to have lower seat heights and after sitting on a few 999's they feel pretty good for my size. The problem is not fitting in to the bike because as far as reach goes most sport bikes fit smaller people very well (in fact the new Aprilia RSV 4 supposedly makes Max Biaggi look big and is considered very cramped for bigger riders) its the seat height which hurts, the CBR is also another decent bike for those with low inseams. But we are talking about beginner bikes so I say go with the 250, she will get comfortable fairly quick I'm sure with the height.

FYI I use magnum stealth 2 boots for riding in ( they are basically tactical police boots) and they add about an inch (shifting is not a problem for me but you should be able to adjust the shifter slightly if she has a problem.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #5
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
As stated previously, those boots would make riding very dangerous so the best option is tl lower the bike.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote