ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 18th, 2016, 10:40 AM   #1
vendrizi
ninjette.org newbie

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Broke Cylinder Head Cover Bolt

Post valve adjustment I was reattaching the cylinder head cover when I broke one of the 4 bolts holding it on. That bolt broke off in one of the parts that holds the cam shafts (excuse my lack of descriptive terms, see picture).

I ordered new bolts, but what is the best way to remove the broken bolt.

1) Keeping everything on the bike drill/easy out that bolt. Covering everything up with rags.

2) Remove that single piece and drill/easy out. Or if I mess up buy a new one. Can I just remove one of the 4 retainers and reattach it at the given torque (I don't know what that is). Or do I need to remove both the retainers for the intake cams and tighten down together?

3) Something else?

Thanks for any input!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 12.30.26 PM.png (126.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20160918_122335.jpg (83.2 KB, 14 views)
vendrizi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2016, 08:34 PM   #2
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Looks like it's drill an easy out time

Is the bottom of the hole open? Maybe you can get it out easier taking it apart... Idk mine is too new to have a valve adjustment yet

Old September 18th, 2016, 09:36 PM   #3
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Left-handed drill bit.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2016, 09:08 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendrizi View Post
...........Can I just remove one of the 4 retainers and reattach it at the given torque (I don't know what that is)..........
Welcome, James !!!

Do you mean you don't know the value of the specified torque or the meaning of torque?

As those are assembled first and then machined together, that top half matches the bottom half of the journal, reason for which you should avoid replacing only the top half.

If you remove the part, you will need a torque wrench in order to tighten those two bolts.

On the engine or out, that stud should be easy to turn out.
If you are not sure about damaging the aluminum thread, just take the part to a machine shop.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2016, 10:18 AM   #5
Cra1g
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS, 2007 Yamaha FZ6

The replacement bolt you need is 92153-0793. Just want to make sure because the parts diagram you have pictured isn't the one with the correct bolt in it.

I actually have some spares of these exact bolts if you want one. Just pay for shipping. Probably quicker than most online parts suppliers.
Cra1g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2016, 12:17 PM   #6
vendrizi
ninjette.org newbie

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

I pulled that retainer off the bike and got the broken bolt out. I tried drilling a pilot hole and using an easy out, but the bit kept walking on the uneven break surface. What worked was flipping it over and drilling into the backside, the bolt just unscrewed itself. Fantastic!

My torque reference comes from http://faq.ninja250.org/torque/ex250f/. Its a little unclear what part this is. I think it is a "Camshaft bearing cap bolts" which says 8.8ft lbs and to tighten in the specified sequence. But I'm not sure what that sequence is.

Thanks!

Cra1g: I already ordered those bolts from a local dealership. $5 shipped per bolt... Arriving Wednesday. Thanks for the offer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160919_121550.jpg (35.0 KB, 3 views)
vendrizi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2016, 02:27 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendrizi View Post
...........I think it is a "Camshaft bearing cap bolts" which says 8.8ft lbs and to tighten in the specified sequence. But I'm not sure what that sequence is......
Torque for those bolts is correct: 8.7 ft-lb = 104 in-lb = 1.2 Kg-m

The sequence is meant for when the camshaft is removed and replaced.
In your case, 1: bolt closer to spark plug, 2: bolt closer to carbs.

Torque for broken bolt is 8.7 ft-lb = 7.3 in-lb = 1.0 Kg-m
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote