ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:54 AM   #1
ajaygraci
ninjette.org member

Name: Angelo

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r, black, carbon fiber full exhaust...2000 toyota 4runner

charging the battery

hey i just got a battery tender and took off the rider's seat by removing the 2 screws and washers..the problem is i cant find where the battery is to charge it... all i see is wires... anyone with a owners manual got any advice? do i have to remove anything else once the riders seat is removed?
ajaygraci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:59 AM   #2
ajaygraci
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r, black, carbon fiber full exhaust...2000 toyota 4runner

bump

Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:09 PM   #3
madcrossover
ninjette.org member

Name: Daniel

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

If you removed the riders seat you are in the correct location of the battery. Im going off my head but I think there is a plastic cover that you need to remove. There are also some plugs on the cover if im not mistaken that you would disconnect also. once you get that removed you should see the battery. I also got a battery Tender and installed the disconnect line for it and ran it to the rear seat compartment.

All in all just keep going down below the seat! Remember what is connected to where!

Hope this helps! I dont have a manual in front of me or I would give better advice!
madcrossover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:11 PM   #4
ajaygraci
ninjette.org member

ahh nvm i removed that black panel thing with the 3 screws and under it was battery.. connected red to + and black to - ...... hope i dont mess anything up... there is wires all over the place down there! .. i can leave the battery in the bike to charge it rite? and also i can leave bike off rite?

Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:11 PM   #5
madcrossover
ninjette.org member

Correct! I dont know if your battery tender came with a quick disconnect cable or not, but all you would have to do is run that cable to your rear seat so you would have easy access. So whenever you need to charge, you would just remove the rear seat and plug in the tender without having to remove the seat or cover! Makes it quick and easy!

Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:12 PM   #6
ajaygraci
ninjette.org member

ohh and the battery charger i have connects to a wall... how would u leave it in ur bike lol ? ive heard people telling me they "route" it and stuff in their bikes... i guess i dont have the same thing cuz the one i have is like the size of 2 textbooks.. but they call it a tender...and thanks madcross .. reassured me that what i did was correct.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:18 PM   #7
madcrossover
ninjette.org member

I have something like this:

http://batterytender.com/product_inf...5b5aebfc91459a

That cable in front of the tender is the cable you would route to the rear seat. Pic is kinda small though.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:50 PM   #8
ajaygraci
ninjette.org member

cool thanks for the link

Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:31 PM   #9
ajaygraci
ninjette.org member

SWEEET my bike is UP AND RUNNING ! gave it an hours charge on 12 Vs and it sputtered 3 times headlights flickering thhen 4th time it started and i took her out ! ... jus put on 16 miles just going around my neighborhood ! hope that charged it up more =) .. ahh finally riding again ! fck i love it

Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:25 PM   #10
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaygraci View Post
SWEEET my bike is UP AND RUNNING ! gave it an hours charge on 12 Vs and it sputtered 3 times headlights flickering thhen 4th time it started and i took her out ! ... jus put on 16 miles just going around my neighborhood ! hope that charged it up more =) .. ahh finally riding again ! fck i love it
riding will charge it, idle should be set to 1500 rpm, but riding will put back more into battery quikcer than idle.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2009, 03:31 PM   #11
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
riding will charge it, idle should be set to 1500 rpm, but riding will put back more into battery quikcer than idle.
I found out the hard way that they don't charge on the alternators as fast as cars do. After jumping it in the morning, then ~20 min & ~15 miles of riding to work, I was stranded at the end of the day . I bought a battery tender the next day and have not looked back since! They are nice to have anyways since it will work on your car, truck, motorcylce, ATV, boat, airplane....
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2009, 03:48 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Yup, idling will actually drain these batteries. The bike needs to be moving (engine at 4k+ rpm) for there to be any extra juice to be able to charge the battery on top of dealing with the immediate electrical needs of the bike.

I'm a little surprised that 35 miles of riding wasn't enough to get the battery back in shape enough to start the bike at the end of the day, but I guess if it's completely dead, that's just not enough. You're absolutely right, the tender is the way to go.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote