ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old January 19th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #1
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

Replacement Fairings and Painting

Ok, so I laid my bike down yesterday and I want to get it back up and purty as soon as possible so I need some expert help from the best 250 forum ever!

As far as insurance goes, should I file with them? My deductable is $500. I think it would just end up giving me a bunch of hassle and I wouldn't end up saving any money in the long run.

I need a new right turn signal. Really the only parts I need are the "stalk" that leads to the black plastic housing as well as the clear front cover. However, it appears that I can't buy just the "stalk" part so it would be more cost-effective to buy some cheap LED signals off of ebay. My real question for the turn signals is the problem of mounting them. The stock signals mount with that oval rubber grommet with two holes but the turn signals on ebay just show a screw on the end of the signal. How would I go about mounting these? (example: ebay link)

Second, I need help deciding whether to repaint the right fairing or just replace it (replacement is $235). Should I try repainting it myself or just bring it to a shop? My DIY projects don't usually end up how I want them but I might do it myself if the cost difference is massive. I've checked it all over and it has no cracks, just lots of scratches. Also, I'm pretty sure it's just the flat black not the metallic flake paint they added on one of the black 09 versions.

Lastly, I need to replace the right rear fairing tail piece due to cracks. I believe it's part #36040O. The description on kawasakipartshouse.net is
Code:
36040O  SKU: 36040-0062-15Q COVER-TAIL,RH,M.D.BLACK
Can anyone confirm this so I don't order the wrong thing? Here's the parts diagram. The only thing confusing me is that the M.D. in the description I think stands for Metallic Diablo, though I didn't think I had that paint.

Here are some pics of the damage if that affects your advice at all.
Rear Fairing cracks

Old January 19th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #2
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

That is about what mine looked like - the fairings are being repaired - I have the metallic paint, so DIY was out. Shop is waiting for the weather to clear for final paint - the first coat is done, but more sanding before the final paint.

I am hoping it turns out okay, because I have the extended warranty and don't want any hassles about a minor slide. I was also debating on going the new route, but figured I would have these repaired and if they look bad, use them until "it" happens again.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #3
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
That is about what mine looked like - the fairings are being repaired - I have the metallic paint, so DIY was out. Shop is waiting for the weather to clear for final paint - the first coat is done, but more sanding before the final paint.
So does your paint look a lot different from what I have in the pictures? I honestly can't tell if I have the metallic paint or not even though it's a 2009.

Old January 19th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #4
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

You can definately tell in person when the sun is out - from a yard away it appears plain black.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #5
divingtigger
Pedal Power

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja EX250R

There is one ebayer that I've used for all my parts...it was tampa something or other. Dom is a great guy to do business with. As for those signal parts... I can sell you those if you want. I went to some flush mounts

Old January 19th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Your thread got me curious as to the cost of fairings for my '09 SE. From the site you linked to above, it's insane how each of the side fairings are over 490, whereas the regular colors are just over 230. LOL! I can just buy two green '08 cowlings for the price of one '09 SE side cowling.
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #7
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 1000 - 2011, Ninja H2 SX SE - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betlog View Post
Your thread got me curious as to the cost of fairings for my '09 SE. From the site you linked to above, it's insane how each of the side fairings are over 490, whereas the regular colors are just over 230. LOL! I can just buy two green '08 cowlings for the price of one '09 SE side cowling.
woah 490 pretty cheap! My dealer checked and he told me it was 750 per fairing + tax! (850 lol) That's 820 USD, per fairing.
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthechron View Post
woah 490 pretty cheap! My dealer checked and he told me it was 750 per fairing + tax! (850 lol) That's 820 USD, per fairing.
LOL, that's like a third the cost of the bike for 1 fairing. I'm not sure how reliable kawasakipartshouse.net is though. Anyone have any experience with them?

Old January 19th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #9
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingtigger View Post
As for those signal parts... I can sell you those if you want. I went to some flush mounts
That would be awesome if you're willing to sell them. Like I said above all I really need is the right "stalk" part that sticks out of the bike and the clear lens for the housing.

Old January 20th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #10
divingtigger
Pedal Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlarorc View Post
That would be awesome if you're willing to sell them. Like I said above all I really need is the right "stalk" part that sticks out of the bike and the clear lens for the housing.
Send me an offer via PM and we can work it out. I have one inside the house that I can take the parts off of

Old January 20th, 2010, 09:00 AM   #11
PitBull
ninjette.org member

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Quote:
Second, I need help deciding whether to repaint the right fairing or just replace it (replacement is $235). Should I try repainting it myself or just bring it to a shop?
I had a fairing repainted at a shop and in all honesty, it looked better than the factory paint job!
PitBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #12
Small Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Kayla

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 Candy Plasma Blue

Quote:
Second, I need help deciding whether to repaint the right fairing or just replace it (replacement is $235). Should I try repainting it myself or just bring it to a shop?

What Color Is Your BIKE?
Small Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2010, 09:09 AM   #13
tiburonsita
ninjette.org member

Name: m

Motorcycle(s): 2009 black Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betlog View Post
LOL, that's like a third the cost of the bike for 1 fairing. I'm not sure how reliable kawasakipartshouse.net is though. Anyone have any experience with them?
yes, I got mind from them prepainted for $235 I believe. Matches the rest of the bike exactly since they are kawi parts. (mine is metallic black also)

Last futzed with by tiburonsita; January 21st, 2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: forgot to specify color
tiburonsita is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2010, 09:29 AM   #14
divingtigger
Pedal Power

There is a shop here that will make any colour paint that you want. They will match a piece if you bring it in...they are really good and fairly cheap too. I'm sure there is one close to you as well. They will put it in a spray can too.

Found the stem and the clear piece and new condition.

Old January 21st, 2010, 10:43 AM   #15
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Hey Kev....in all seriousness...well placed scratches...depending on how you look at riding...are a definite "badge of courage". I mean, these bikes are sooo pretty but, depending on who you hang with, how you ride, how you feel about appearances you could just leave them there. I mean, really, anytime you pull up to a group I can almost guarantee you'll be asked to tell the story. It's up to you but the price of plastics is always very high and if the damage in no way affects the performance or safety...you could spend the money on stuff that does...like the signal...and sliders.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2010, 06:57 PM   #16
MKlein3004
Fighting Texas Aggie '08

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Race), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636 (Track), 2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Street)

i will agree with eddiekay. if i come ride with you sometime you will see my bikes battle scars. cracked fairing where yours is scrapped and slide maks on the other side. only parts i replaced where the tank, got a dent somehow that i can't figure out hoew, the front fairing, had a gigantic whole in it, and now the rear left courtesy of triggen becuase it was too good of a deal to pass up. I honestly believe that replacing the fairings right now on my bike is a waste of money and time. I am not a seasoned rider by any means so i feel that it might happen again. I have confidence in myself but i am still a new rider so things can happen. its all up to you and your pride and how you feel about riding around on a scraped bike. You could easily take a rattle can to it and clean it up a bit to hide the marks and save your money for sliders or other pieces for the bike that can protect it when you get new fairings.
MKlein3004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2010, 09:56 PM   #17
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
Hey Kev....in all seriousness...well placed scratches...depending on how you look at riding...are a definite "badge of courage". I mean, these bikes are sooo pretty but, depending on who you hang with, how you ride, how you feel about appearances you could just leave them there. I mean, really, anytime you pull up to a group I can almost guarantee you'll be asked to tell the story. It's up to you but the price of plastics is always very high and if the damage in no way affects the performance or safety...you could spend the money on stuff that does...like the signal...and sliders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKlein3004 View Post
i will agree with eddiekay. if i come ride with you sometime you will see my bikes battle scars. cracked fairing where yours is scrapped and slide maks on the other side. only parts i replaced where the tank, got a dent somehow that i can't figure out hoew, the front fairing, had a gigantic whole in it, and now the rear left courtesy of triggen becuase it was too good of a deal to pass up. I honestly believe that replacing the fairings right now on my bike is a waste of money and time. I am not a seasoned rider by any means so i feel that it might happen again. I have confidence in myself but i am still a new rider so things can happen. its all up to you and your pride and how you feel about riding around on a scraped bike. You could easily take a rattle can to it and clean it up a bit to hide the marks and save your money for sliders or other pieces for the bike that can protect it when you get new fairings.
you know what? I think y'all are right. I'll just replace the necessary things and leave the scratched up fairing there. I also had the idea that if I ever lay it down on the other side then I'll just take both and paint them white and have a sort of Panda bike.
Cycle gear just sent me their catalog and it looks like I'm in the market for some snazzy new leather pants.

maybe it'll make the bike less attractive to steal too lol

Old January 21st, 2010, 11:44 PM   #18
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiburonsita View Post
yes, I got mind from them prepainted for $235 I believe. Matches the rest of the bike exactly since they are kawi parts. (mine is metallic black also)
Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I'll order some parts from them.