Notices

Old July 17th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #201
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
no, take out their mirror. or kick in their door. Then see if they do that again.
i just smack their window with my 1/2" chain...
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #202
coolcatjames
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r

I had to lane split on my second day on the bike. There was a car flipped over on the highway and 101 was backed up ~2 miles. Stood in traffic for a few minutes and then everybody started giving me weird looks, like why I wasn't splitting. Decided to go with it and saved sooooo much time. Stalled once though, when a truck blocked me and I stopped, forgot to downshift, and tried to start in 3rd. It was embarrassing.

Still new, so I tend not to split or filter, but I'll probably get used to it and try to split more next month.
coolcatjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #203
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I'm actually glad that lane splitting isn't allowed here in Ohio. If it was I know that I would do it, I've already flirted with it a few times, and it just seems far to risky.

As for the pic of the cruiser with two cars on it. It seems to me that the rider wasn't looking at his mirrors, and didn't leave himself and out. I mean it looks like he was sitting in the middle of the lane

I ALWAYS LEAVE MYSELF AN OUT when stopped. I have no problem lane splitting, jumping over curbs, or whatever to avoid a situation like that.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #204
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcatjames View Post
I had to lane split on my second day on the bike. There was a car flipped over on the highway and 101 was backed up ~2 miles. Stood in traffic for a few minutes and then everybody started giving me weird looks, like why I wasn't splitting. Decided to go with it and saved sooooo much time. Stalled once though, when a truck blocked me and I stopped, forgot to downshift, and tried to start in 3rd. It was embarrassing.

Still new, so I tend not to split or filter, but I'll probably get used to it and try to split more next month.
dont do it until you are comfortable with the bike. Then do it
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #205
Magz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Lane splitting is like everything else on a bike, risk management and situational awareness. If something feels unsafe, then legal or not you shouldn't do it. It's not legal where I live and I don't, so take my opinion for what it is, but I definitely feel like there are situations where it would be perfectly safe, and sometimes possibly safer. I always prefer to have the greatest number of options.

And as far as always leaving an out: No battle plan survives contact with the enemy (i.e. cagers). Sometimes there are things you just can't expect or plan for.

Old July 17th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #206
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarith View Post
I tried lane splitting once in 5mph bumper-to-bumper traffic. There were 2 cars on either side of me that slowly converged like they were conspiring to squish me! (Boston area)
They probably did. I've been honked at and had people try to drive me into parked cars more than one time in Cambridge. One particular intersection where 90% of the cars go straight, i turn right and I'm not going to sit in traffic, so I cruise up the bike lane with my signal on, but people don't seem to care, they think I'm just splitting to get in front...

I keep wanting to split more, but hold myself back because I don't want to be that guy. In heat like today though, it's almost excusable.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #207
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

I've been commuting 44 miles every day for the last 2 years (almost). I've put about 17k on my bike and nearly all of those miles were splitting lanes. I've had 3-4 near misses, 1 that could have been a total nightmare. I still do it to this day. I lane split in the rain too.

I disagree with Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
You must not have driven in FL yet. This is totally false for FL and from the stories I hear, most of the US as well. Here in the US the cagers do NOT respect bikes, barely see bikes, and most don't give room for anyone other their own ego.
Many commuters here (CA- Bay Area) are very aware of motorcycles and lane splitting. Riding 2 years, every day, and I've only ever had 1 person intentionally block me. Other than that, I usually find that cagers who are commuting are pretty nice. They move to the edge of the road, some even going into the shoulder to let me pass. I always wave at them or give them a thumbs up. I've even lane split CHP and they don't do anything. As a matter of fact, when I'm behind a CHP patrol car, they generally move to the edge of the road and wave me by.

Lane splitting is dangerous. So is riding a motorcycle. Everyone has their own level of comfort and they should stick to that. My commute home is usually 30-40 minutes. If I was to wait in traffic, that time would easily be doubled on normal days. When you have the odd days with accidents or something else, it triples that number. I thank God every day that I can lane split.

I generally follow a few rules for myself.

1. I only split if traffic is under the speed limit.
2. I only split up to 5 mph faster than traffic.
3. I always scan ahead and consider which cars are possibly looking to change lanes.

I've been driving for 20 years and you get a sense of what other people will do in traffic. If you learn to read those signs, it will make biking safer for you, even if you don't split lanes.

I think the other thing is that in CA, we have HOV/ carpool lanes and motorcycles are allowed in them. This makes it a little bit safer to lane split because people driving on their own don't usually try to merge into the carpool lane. I'm generally more aware of drivers who need to merge out of the HOV lane or just after freeway on ramps because people may want to merge in. Learn the traffic patterns and you can cut your drive time down, with or without lane splitting.

Old July 17th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #208
itsEnZo
ninjette.org member

Name: Jared

Motorcycle(s): None.. YET

Can't say that cagers here in cali are nice first-hand (you know, with no bike and all), but whenever I observe riders lane-splitting, it always seems as though everyone recognizes him and makes room. I personally make room for riders who lane split, and so does everyone else I know. Plus, the waves I get from happy riders make my day haha
itsEnZo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #209
Galaxieman
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 Concours 14

Lane split legally for the first time last weekend while heading from San Diego up to Anaheim (Disneyland!!!). With my wife on the back. Under 35mph, and less than 10mph over what the traffic is doing, it's safer than sitting between the drivers. Didn't have any significant issues, other than getting buzzed by a BMW K1600GTL rider who apparently thought I wasn't going fast enough between the cars. Every time the traffic started rolling again, I moved back over into the lane... no problems.

I did it for years in DC, once I figured out that in 'parking lot' traffic, there isn't anything a police cruiser can do anyway. Basically I was sitting in 95* heat and the temp gauge on the bike hit 236*. My options were lane split and get some air flowing on the radiators, or cook my nuts, since there wasn't any place to pull over for about 2 miles on that section of 395. I chose option 1 . After seeing it work very well in Iraq (of all places) and Korea, it just makes sense. There's all this wasted space between the cars where a bike could simply filter to the front and lessen the congestion. One of those things that makes sense when you think about it, but many can't get past the "You're gonna DIIEEEEEE!!!" safety-nanny nonsense.

Old July 17th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #210
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
I disagree with Mike

Many commuters here (CA- Bay Area) are very aware of motorcycles and lane splitting. Riding 2 years, every day, and I've only ever had 1 person intentionally block me. Other than that, I usually find that cagers who are commuting are pretty nice. They move to the edge of the road, some even going into the shoulder to let me pass. I always wave at them or give them a thumbs up. I've even lane split CHP and they don't do anything. As a matter of fact, when I'm behind a CHP patrol car, they generally move to the edge of the road and wave me by.

I think the other thing is that in CA, we have HOV/ carpool lanes and motorcycles are allowed in them. This makes it a little bit safer to lane split because people driving on their own don't usually try to merge into the carpool lane. I'm generally more aware of drivers who need to merge out of the HOV lane or just after freeway on ramps because people may want to merge in. Learn the traffic patterns and you can cut your drive time down, with or without lane splitting.
I do realize that CA is different. Perhaps you should have paid more attention to what I was saying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo
You must not have driven in FL yet. This is totally false for FL and from the stories I hear, most of the US as well. Here in the US the cagers do NOT respect bikes, barely see bikes, and most don't give room for anyone other their own ego.
As I said, with most of the rest of the US you will NOT find cagers to be as aware or as nice as you experience in CA. Try that in central FL and I'll put money that in less than a month you'll have more "incidents" than in all your time doing that in CA. Here in central FL they generally don't see motorcycles, or if they do it's a mix of don't care, or don't like. Just in the first several months of riding I-4 and side streets down here I've had more cases of cagers nearly running me over/off the road, cutting me off, nearly t-boning me, actually hitting me, or blaming me for their own stupidity all while being cautious and NOT trying to be stupid or lane split than you say you have had in over 2 years of lane splitting.

Don't think for a second that you'll find places outside of CA being as nice to bikers. If you do that you'll put yourself in more danger than you've ever had in CA.

Old July 17th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #211
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

I was mainly referring to your blanket statement: "Here in the US the cagers do NOT respect bikes." Since CA is part of the US, I can't say I'd agree.

Old July 17th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #212
beerhalffull
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 09' Ninja 250R

I can't imagine life without lane splitting. It'd make my commute to San Diego and LA a lot longer and much less fun. Do I think it's real safe? No, not really, but I'm for it.
beerhalffull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #213
lostdaemon
ninjette.org member

Name: Mar

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette

Gotta remember that California is practically it's own country, with a very separate culture from the rest of the US in a lot of respects Take that as you will...
lostdaemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 06:54 AM   #214
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

And Northern CA and Southern CA are like two separate states... lol

Old July 18th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #215
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

I had some dopy c*nt try to take me down today, she watched me in the mirror, pulled in until I got alongside her then pulled out pushing me sideways & almost into the side of an oncoming bus. She blocked up one of the main roads into the city at morning rush hour for almost 10 mins, don't think she realized bikes can't reverse... my left knee slider now has a lovely streak of gold paint from her cage.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #216
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
my left knee slider now has a lovely streak of gold paint from her cage.

another good reason to wear gear haha

Old July 18th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #217
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post

another good reason to wear gear haha
I'm gathering quite a collection on there, Ford silver, BMW blue, Black Cab black, & now (whatever piece of **** she was driving) gold...

Ah the joys of bike commuting
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #218
rdrgoB
ninjette.org member

Name: Unspecified

Motorcycle(s): None

It should be legal. But only saying that because after telling myself I wouldn't, I did it anyway in stop and go traffic. Wouldn't feel comfortable doing it at any higher speed though.
rdrgoB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:43 AM   #219
ninjaone
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): CBR

When the highway is a parking lot I will lane split. That's the only time lane splitting should be used anyway.

It's funny because in some places in Europe you can fail your motorcycle license if you don't lane split. It's not only legal, it's recognized as being safer to the extent that you need to do it to get a license.

Regardless of whether it's officially legal or not, I will still do it. In many places police are trained on motorcycles, and they won't care if you split. The only thing highway police care about usually is speeding. I've done it in almost all 50 states and never got a ticket once. My friend got a ticket for it in Boston I think, but it was a really minor cost - less then 100$ and no points. Considering how much time it saves when the highway is a parking lot it's just a risk I'm willing to take. The hundreds of times I do it is worth the 100$ or so on the off chance I get caught.
ninjaone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:28 AM   #220
lgk

I've been talking with my local rep, to ease restrictions on lane splitting.
he seems to be on board but its not the most important thing on his plate.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:12 AM   #221
ninjaone
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): CBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
I've been talking with my local rep, to ease restrictions on lane splitting.
he seems to be on board but its not the most important thing on his plate.
That's really what it comes down to. Driver's don't like lane splitting because it's illegal? Well, I don't like driver's rolling through stop signs, not coming to a complete stop outside of parking lots, and not keeping right except to pass. Those things are all technically illegal in all 50 states, yet there is almost zero enforcement.

Lane splitting when the highway is a parking lot is much safer then any of those activities, so I don't feel bad doing it.
ninjaone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:40 AM   #222
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaone View Post
That's really what it comes down to. Driver's don't like lane splitting because it's illegal? Well, I don't like driver's rolling through stop signs, not coming to a complete stop outside of parking lots, and not keeping right except to pass. Those things are all technically illegal in all 50 states, yet there is almost zero enforcement.

Lane splitting when the highway is a parking lot is much safer then any of those activities, so I don't feel bad doing it.
the reps could easily overturn it if there was enough support.
not enough riders around here care about it.

eta: we just passed having two riders abreast, but not a car and a motorcycle.

Old July 25th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #223
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

I think it should be legal in any state. Sure there are certain times when it is not appropriate, however, there are a great many times it can benefit all traffic, not just to guy on the bike (though he benefits most). Personally I'd only be comfortable in lighter traffic or at stoplights.
JustRidin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #224
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

There's been some progress on this in California. A committee of motorcycle groups, CHP, and state government transportation folks, have come up with some clear guidelines for lanesplitting/lanesharing. These have already been posted up on the CHP site.

Link to thread describing committee's work on BARF

Bullet point version: http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitting.html

More detailed version: http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

This doesn't mean any more (or less) laws, and doesn't mean any new CVC codes. It just makes it that much clearer to a number of different constituents, making it that much less likely that treatment of lanesplitting by law enforcement will be as variable as it is now. There are also efforts to publicize this information to drivers at large, including in the DMV driver handbooks and even over other media outlets.

Some threads of our very own @Jiggles dealing with the variability across LEO's: Thread 1, Thread 2

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #225
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Even though it's not legal here my basic rule of thumb is; Do I feel safe? If the answer is no, then whether it's legal or not, I'm doing whatever I can to make myself feel safe again.

So like the other week when I got behind a salt truck that dumped salt onto the road ever bump he went over. I didn't feel safe there, because it was a fairly twisty road and I had a car up my ass. So the next straight I had, I passed him illegally. I'd rather try to fight a ticket than die.

Old January 16th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #226
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

i do it every single day, multiple times a day.

Hell just earlier today i was behind a cop on a motorcycle, he was lane splitting without lights/sirens and i followed lol. He ended up in the right lane, i ended up in the left..i did teh secret wave, he did a "normal" wave and made a right and i kept goin.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #227
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
There's been some progress on this in California. A committee of motorcycle groups, CHP, and state government transportation folks, have come up with some clear guidelines for lanesplitting/lanesharing. These have already been posted up on the CHP site.
Although I tend to be Mr. Negative when the topic of new laws comes up, I certainly support clarifying existing laws, or in this case permissible standards (as long as they aren't tightening the noose). The outlined points are pretty much exactly what I've always heard, but I still think it's a good thing for the CHP to be posting this as an authoritative source. I was also pleased to see the bottom notes to cagers, instructing them to behave themselves. Although I personally split lanes a LITTLE more conservatively than the CHP outlined, I support their points as a reasonable standard. Did I just say that about a government agency!!??

EDIT: I just noticed this part:
"- Be Respectful --- sharing the road goes both ways.
•Don't rely on loud pipes to keep you safe, loud pipes often startle people and poison the attitude of car drivers toward motorcyclists.
•Other vehicles are not required to make space for motorcycles to lane split. "

LOL, the CHP weighs in on 'loud pipes saves lives'!
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #228
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Yep only times I've ever been pulled over in my life was for splitting. I still split past cops, none of them care
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #229
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

New site to point people to on this topic:

http://lanesplittingislegal.com/

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #230
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

oops. wrong thread.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 12:42 AM   #231
ladyrocket
ladyrocket

Name: Megan

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr3ek View Post
here is my daily commute

Link to original page on YouTube.

I ride like you haha I take too many risks and tell myself "dont do that again" and then BAM there I go again. I split and pass people when its unnecessary

Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:25 AM   #232
wdhansewd
will never be a ninja

Name: Timothy

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Suzuki GSXR 750 SRAD

it makes sense

Found this video and it actually makes sense after watching it

wdhansewd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:50 AM   #233
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

It's good if people are responsible about it, but I've seen so many irresponsible riders in my area I feel like although it would benefit me it'd end up being more trouble for everyone else. There have been a few times where I've been kind of boxed in and see a gap I can split through and checked for cops and went for it just because it was the safer alternative to being surrounded. It does baffle me though that only ONE state in the US allows lane splitting, and it's the one that is most strict about vehicles in general.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:22 AM   #234
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
It's good if people are responsible about it, but I've seen so many irresponsible riders in my area I feel like although it would benefit me it'd end up being more trouble for everyone else. There have been a few times where I've been kind of boxed in and see a gap I can split through and checked for cops and went for it just because it was the safer alternative to being surrounded. It does baffle me though that only ONE state in the US allows lane splitting, and it's the one that is most strict about vehicles in general.
I feel like that alone should tell us and the rest of the states something. If something is actually legal in California, it's probably pretty safe!

Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:52 AM   #235
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjoe View Post
I feel like that alone should tell us and the rest of the states something. If something is actually legal in California, it's probably pretty safe!
i think more states will start to pass these laws when traffic congestion becomes a problem.

the general assembly here is probably going to expand our laws soon.

in terms of lane splitting, i don't think the irresponsible rider will have much impact on the safety of others. his motivation will be a choice of self preservation, or being ***** slapped by Darwin.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 12:58 PM   #236
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
I hate that argument. The squids are already doing it anyway regardless of the law, and if it's made legal, the ones doing is dangerously can still be pulled over for reckless driving.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 04:07 PM   #237
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdhansewd View Post

Found this video and it actually makes sense after watching it

Everyone should watch this video! I watched it a few days ago and it is indeed a good watch. I am now sold on lane splitting. I was never apposed to it, but now I am convinced it is a great thing. In fact, I am probably going to end up doing it illegally. Haha.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 04:09 PM   #238
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Everyone should watch this video! I watched it a few days ago and it is indeed a good watch. I am now sold on lane splitting. I was never apposed to it, but now I am convinced it is a great thing. In fact, I am probably going to end up doing it illegally. Haha.
You joke, but reckless driving tickets aren't a joke

Old February 3rd, 2013, 04:16 PM   #239
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

That's why you don't pull over for the police. Fold your plate and run.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 04:20 PM   #240
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
That's why you don't pull over for the police. Fold your plate and run.
I always thought it would be interesting to see a ninja 250 attempt to out run the police. As soon as our speed tops out it's just a matter of time until they catch up unless there are a lot of nearby side roads lol.