Notices

Old October 15th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #1
mochi
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Lola

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Smile Hi, I'm Lola

And I don't have a bike yet

But I am reallllly leaning towards a 2nd gen Ninjette for my first bike. I just took my first lesson this past weekend, getting ready to do my BRC soon, and will get my bike in the Spring.

I am wondering if I should put a deposit on an 09 Ninja 250r now...because I know they sell out quickly and the more I do research, the more I am convinced this is the bike for me. I still have to sit and ride on a lot more before I make my final decision, but it's passionate forums dedicated to this one particular bike that make me think the Ninjette is my ride!

Anyway, I'm female, live in NYC metro area, and CAN'T WAIT to get my ride!!!
mochi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Lola! I agree with you, and think that the Ninjette would be a great bike for you to start out on. It has manageable power, has very predictable handling, isn't excessively large or heavy, and is just a heck of a lot of fun. The only caveat is whether you want a 1st-gen or 2nd-gen. I don't think you'll find many arguments if you think that the 2nd-gen is more stylish, but the problem is that it is still a little costly. Great 1st-gen bikes can be found for $2K, while a new 2008 or 2009 will likely cost almost $5K out the door with the current demand. The other hitch is that if you do happen to have a parking-lot drop, there are few sources for replacement parts other than paying the full prices from Kawasaki, if the parts are even available. While parts for the 1st gen are readily available and much, much cheaper. While there were certainly some improvements made to the 2nd-gen, the riding experience itself for both models is very, very similar.

Either way you decide to go, I'm sure you'll be very happy on a Ninjette!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #3
mochi
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Lola

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Hmm that's good advice, thanks Alex!

I'm just so in lust with the new body on the Ninja 2nd gen but I've heard the ride is the same on the 1st or 2nd gens. It probably makes more financial sense to get a used bike. I won't be in the market until Spring anyway, when some used 08s may turn up.

It's great to get advice WELL in advance of the purchase. I figure I have about 6 months to read and learn as much as I can. But I still can't wait!!!!!
mochi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #4
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Welcome Lola!

I am from the Baltimore, Maryland area. I am trying to make it up to NY I haven't been yet. Probably wont this year but maybe next year.

Alex did give you some good advice. He is nice like that. I have a bias opinion. I love the 250's. I have a lot of fun on mine going anywhere all the other bikes go. I have kept up with the 'big boys' and not had a problem.

Good luck!

Old October 17th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #5
JCCJMM_
ninjette.org member

Name: John-Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

With the price of the 250 skyrocketing, and if I was in the market for a NEW bike, I would have to say the ER-6N or the 650r look mighty appealing...........but I think the 250 is certainly a better "beginner" bike.
JCCJMM_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #6
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Beginner Bike?

I do agree that the 250 is a great beginner bike. We do, however have some pretty advanced riders buying them because they are so much fun to ride. Quite a few of these people run them on tracks. I guess there is even a Ninja 250 class racing on the West Coast. All the magazines seem to rave about them. I know that a lot of people comment on my green Ninja--and a lot of them comment on how nice and quiet it is. I have been riding 50 years and am really not interested in getting anything bigger. My only criticism of the Ninja is that the stock mirrors are useless. I replaced them with mirrors for the larger Kawasaki. There is no change in the looks--they just stick out a little further. It is a five minute job since the bases are the same.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #7
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Name: Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Hey there, I'm from NJ I used to live in the Paramus area. MALL CITY!

I moved to FL some years ago though.

I've never ridden a bike in the city though, but the last time I drove there a pigeon walked out in front of me. He was a typical New Yorker: "Hey, I'm wawkin' heeeeeah!" Welp, he ended up flattened. Too bad, lol.
TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #8
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Hi, Lola

Great duck! Nice bike too. Paramus NJ--back in 1963, I bought a 63 Malcolm Konner split window coupe in silver grey. It was the hottest Vette available at the time--350HP at the back wheels. I was a young college kid racing motorcycles and I thought I died and went to heaven. Wish I still had that car--even though I kept it till 1982. Been riding since 1958. Love my 08 Lime Green Ninja. I have owned and ridden a lot of bikes and quite honestly, I have NEVER seen a 250 in any shape or form come close to a Ninja 250. The bike is simply amazing. I have to admit that I got a chance to test drive a Ninja 650R and have to admit that this is one hell of a machine! It is incredibly fast and the handling is extraordinary--flicks corners like a 250.. I think that the real message finally flashed on me. On the street the 250 will do everything the 650 will do despite its diminutive engine. (We are talking about riding LEGALLY) I plan to customize my Bike some by chroming my wheels--or polishing them out and chroming some of the stuff like pedals and struts. I also need to relocate the directionals and eliminate the rear fender. They are good winter projects since we don`t ride much in the winters here in Maine.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote