ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 11th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #1
shiftdrift06
ninjette.org member

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): None

Bike doesn't run properly after sitting only 2-3 days

Well a little background on the bike, 1994, had a seized transmission. I bought a used block and swap everything over and got it running.
It has;
Yoshi full exhaust
K&N Pod Filter
Jet kit

The bike runs good, but after 2-3 days, it will run like crap. Usually doesn't idle and dies. Or no power when i tried to ride it.

I usually dissemble the gas tank and the carbs and clean everything. And put it back together and usually runs good for another 2-3 days. And than its crap again.

I have done this about 5-6 times in the last month. I am guessing it is the carbs, but It is really clean. and everything looks good.

I was just wondering what other issue it could be? Can gas go bad or clog my carbs in that short amount of time?
I am open to ANY SUGGESTION!

Here is a random picture of my bike lol.
shiftdrift06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #2
kkim

try using a fuel stabilizer in your gas. Seafoam, Stabil Marine grade, Berryman's, etc.

also, could the station you buy your gas from have water contamination? Have you tried gas from different stations?

A few days just doesn't sound right.

when you clean out your carbs, are you finding the jets clogged or are they clean?

have you adjusted the valves?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #3
shiftdrift06
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
try using a fuel stabilizer in your gas. Seafoam, Stabil Marine grade, Berryman's, etc.

also, could the station you buy your gas from have water contamination? Have you tried gas from different stations?

A few days just doesn't sound right.

when you clean out your carbs, are you finding the jets clogged or are they clean?

have you adjusted the valves?
I have some berryman's, I am going refill the gas and put some in. If that doesn't work, i will try another station.

All my jets are clean, this problems occurred before and after I install bigger new jets also.

I have adjusted the valves, but It could be adjusted again. I couldn't get a good reading.

Old April 11th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #4
kkim

recheck your valves. there have been others who suffered idling problems with their pregens when the valves got (way) out of spec, though if it ran great for 2-3 days for extended periods, I wouldn't suspect that's your problem. Never hurts to recheck, though, especially when you sound doubtful if they were set correctly.

by clean jets, I assume you removed the jets, blew them out and also blew out the passages they screw into?

Old April 11th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #5
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Check the inline fuel filter and maybe inside the gas tank. Maybe it's got some particulate rust or something that's leeching into the fuel. 2-3 days is definitely abnormal.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

I would also make sure your cap is vent correctly.

Had an issue like that with a mower and it was the cap.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #7
shiftdrift06
ninjette.org member

Yes I plan on re-doing the valves again with the engine out. It was too frustrating with it in.

Well here alittle update, just got back from emptying the tank, and putting new gas w/berrymans.

I took the carbs apart again, looks clean, blew compress air in the passages. And yes kkim, i took the jets out and the holders, blew air in them.

I put in new sparkplugs in also. It fires right up and revs great like always. I am having problems with a slipping clutch in high rpms, but thats a whole different problem lol.

My inline filter looks okay, I do notice alittle rust in my tank. but nothing serious. im gonna take a picture.

Jesse, could you elaborate on the cap vent?

Old April 11th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #8
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift06 View Post
Yes I plan on re-doing the valves again with the engine out. It was too frustrating with it in.

Well here alittle update, just got back from emptying the tank, and putting new gas w/berrymans.

I took the carbs apart again, looks clean, blew compress air in the passages. And yes kkim, i took the jets out and the holders, blew air in them.

I put in new sparkplugs in also. It fires right up and revs great like always. I am having problems with a slipping clutch in high rpms, but thats a whole different problem lol.

My inline filter looks okay, I do notice alittle rust in my tank. but nothing serious. im gonna take a picture.

Jesse, could you elaborate on the cap vent?
if the tank is not venting right it will create a vacuum and not allow fuel to go to the bowls

Old April 11th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #9
shiftdrift06
ninjette.org member

I see, the hose on the back of the tank is responsible for venting correct?

Here is a picture, can't really tell but there is alittle rust particle. Might be more on the inside can't really get a good look inside lol.

Old April 11th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #10
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

If it happens again open the tank give it a few mins and see if it starts

Old April 22nd, 2011, 04:42 PM   #11
shiftdrift06
ninjette.org member

Well it did it again today. It only sat for a week this time. I'm not sure if i am doing something when I dissemble the carbs that makes it run good for awhile or if the carbs is actually clogging this quick?

I drained the floats and let them fill back up. No good. The bike has a little bit of rust inside the tank but I cleaned most it out. There is no visible particles in the gas. Just along the walls. Would this cause the problem? I'm also running berryman's fuel cleaner.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 08:56 PM   #12
speedgsx98
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja 2002, 2008 ZX10-R

I'm stumped...Sell it while it's running good! Haha. Seriously, sorry bro. Former motorcycle mechanic here. Not sure what's going on.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:32 PM   #13
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

This is indeed a tough one and since it's not an immediate issue, it's hard to do any kind of process of elimination. The next time it happens, dont remove anything. Instead, unhook one tube, put it back and then see if it starts. Somehow try to do a process of elimination with each tube connecting to different things and see if it'll start. If you pull a tube out and put it back and all of the sudden it starts then we can trace it. If you pull every tube and it still wont start, then we'll think of something else but since you say it works after you pull the carbs and put it back without really doing anything, I'd say start with all the tubes connected to the carb first.

I have very little knowledge of general motorcycle mechanics, but this is how I would approach it since we dont have any particular idea of what's wrong. Goodluck and keep us posted.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:39 AM   #14
kkim

have you tried, as jesse suggested, of simply opening the gas filler cap when the problem comes back and trying to restart the bike to see if that helps?

Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:49 PM   #15
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Dang... That black and red bike looks kool...
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2011, 05:06 PM   #16
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I noticed the inline filter. Does the filter have an arrow on it and which way is it pointing? The arrow should point towards the carbs. If here is no arrow the wide end should on the carb end of the hose. It may help in the way the filter allows fuel to flow to the bowls.
Attached Images
File Type: png Slide3.JPG_thumb.png (702.3 KB, 3 views)
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote