Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old June 16th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Neema12
ninjette.org member

Name: Neema

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

New rider looking for gear suggestions!

Hey everyone, I just purchased a 2002 Ninja 250 and am looking to purchase some quality gear before I spend $ on modding the bike. I already have a helmet and am looking around the web for jackets/gloves/pants. I have a general idea about the type of gear I need to look for but would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. My budget is as outlined below, along with a few questions.

Jacket: $200 (Size M/44)
Gloves: $60 (Size M)
Pants: $60 (not a priority at this time, hence the low budget) (Waist size 32ish)

The prices are a bit low but I dont mind buying used and the area I am from has a huge market (craigslist) for gear.

Questions???

1. What do you folks think about the following Honda jacket? Can someone suggest/find a better jacket for the price? Here is a link to the discounted Honda gear.

2. I sent this guy an email about his gear, but is it too low quality? I plan on buying his helmet but figure he may give me a deal on the clothing if I buy it all together, but was worried it may not be good quality?

3. If my budget is $200 for a jacket, is leather better than textile at this price? I live in Northern California and the weather is normally warmer than the rest of the nation. Basically, I never ride under 50 degree weather and up to 100 degree weather, low humidity.

Thanks for the help and I hope to contribute a large amount to the forums once I get my riding going
Neema12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Hi Neema!

Take a peek through this thread, a whole bunch of folks have posted up their preferred riding gear...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #3
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

as for your Jacket. Leather or Textile, hmmm Leather has more protection then textile. Textile is Cooler for warm weather riding. (some or most leather jackets have Zipper ducts, allowing more air flow then normal) but ill have to go with Textile on that!

Too bad $380 wasnt your jacket budget, or you could get the 'White' Stinger leather jacket from SCORPIONusa.com

Nice graphics on it, and the white/black make it Look like a star wars 'Storm-Trooper'
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #4
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Welcome Neema! I'm going to disagree with dave just a little - a good quality leather is going to be the best - you can get perforated to make it cooler, but the cheap leather jackets that aren't as thick will not offer as much abrasion resistance. A good quality textile is going to be better than an el-cheapo leather... but that means it will have to be at least 600 denier or higher
That said - the specific jacket you posted is on the thin side for leather, I would go textile over 1.2 mm leather, but that's just me personally. I feel better with 1.4- 1.6 mm leather.... I don't know where I read it, but somewhere had the 1.6 mm number listed as a good thickness for abrasion resistance. If I can find it I'll link the study for you. I really don't have any inclination to go through all of the links on the other honda page you posted.

Without more info on the craigslist gear, I can't really tell you much, but I'd be a little leary of it - if it sounds too good to be true.....

Um, you do realize that the ninja is a Kawi, right? Why are you looking at Honda gear?

This is a GREAT deal on a really nice textile jacket - not the nicest-looking one I've seen, but a GREAT deal
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/b...le_jacket.html
another good deal, but again, not so trendy
not sure on the thickness of this one:
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/l...le_jacket.html

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Closeouts.aspx

Old June 16th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #5
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Pay what you think your skin, and head, are worth.

Old June 16th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #6
kkim

Neema,

you also need to budget for boots.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #7
andrewwoo
WHEE!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Black Kawi 250R

you should buy the best gear.. its only going on your body.. so i think you should spend a little more..
andrewwoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #8
Neema12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Um, you do realize that the ninja is a Kawi, right? Why are you looking at Honda gear?
If a good Honda jacket is at a price I can afford Ill wear it until I can afford otherwise

Quote:
you should buy the best gear.. its only going on your body.. so i think you should spend a little more..
I know, I a stressing because I WANT to own the best gear and am willing to wear used or off color gear but just don't have a huge budget. I bought a bike that isn't completely running and in the process of fixing it... basically... money is tight but I have a passion for bikes and wanted to start somewhere.

I am almost contemplating waiting to ride until I can afford good gear

I visited my local shop today and tried on tons of stuff. I spent nearly 4 hours in the store asking questions and getting all my info down. I found out I am actually a size 40 jacket. All the gear I liked was super expensive. The Alpinestars jackets I felt confident riding in were ranging from $300-500

I feel overwhelmed with the large amount of information about gear online and cant seem to find a balance between reasonably priced gear and something that is good/safe to wear.

Old June 16th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #9
kkim

check out www.newenough.com

they have a good explanation of each piece of gear they sell with very informative sizing info. beware all size 40's are not the same size, so be aware of what you are buying.

what's wrong with the bike? maybe we can help save you some money.

Old June 17th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #10
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

How about boots! Very important!

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 05:21 AM   #11
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
Pay what you think your skin, and head, are worth.
that being said, I won't get on the bike without full leather
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #12
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

Get what you can afford.
In a perfect world, we all should wear the best protective gears that are on the market. However, we are far from a perfect world. Some people couldn't afford a 400 or 500 jacket or a 700 arai helmet.
Neema - get the best protection for your money.
Example: a jacket that cost $80 gives you a protection level of 8. increase the amount by 100 with $180 jacket that gives you a protection level of 10. Is it worth $100 for an increase of 2?
I paid $79 for my jacket but I feel that I got a full $79 of protection.
Some jackets offer minimal protection but are very desirable in term of look. The majority of the cost to produce those jackets is probably geared toward look.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #13
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

For now get what you feel comfortable with.

To counter that, ride smart. (Well yes you should always ride smart but ride smart now and it will carry with you even when you get your top of the line gear that you reallllly want.)

You have gotten some great suggestions. New Enough is a great place to shop. Also look into last years models. My leathers (Joe Rocket Trixies) were about $500 bucks as a set in 2006. I waited and the jacket dropped down to $115, i scopped that up. Waited a little bit and the pants hit $100, I got that, in 2007. $215 was alright with me

Before I got the leathers I got a jacket that had the back pad, elbow and shoulder guards. It was textile, I think it was like... $90. I didn't have riding pants at first but after my first go down I got myself some Franklin Thomas textile pants.

Always check Clerance. Sometimes it is just because they have a 'newer' style.

Old June 17th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #14
noche_caliente

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22228

Old June 17th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #15
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Take a look at some scorpion jackets, good quality and decently priced.
With your budget you should look at textile gear, good leather is expensive.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #16
noche_caliente

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22278

Old June 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #17
Neema12
ninjette.org member

Hey everyone, thanks for suggestions with gear. After tons of research and visiting local stores to try gear, I made a few decisions on gear I will focus on buying.

Scorpion EXO-700 Rivet Matte Helmet in Yellow

Dark Smoke Tinted Shield

Used Alpinestars Leather Jacket (sz. 40)

and

Yoshimura AF-C Mesh Cordura Jacket

Gloves: Alpinestars S-MX 2 Air Carbon Gloves

Ear Plugs

Pricing
Helmet:$109 + ~$10 shipping @ Newenough
Shield: $40 locally
Jacket: $175 locally for A* and $59 for Yoshimura with free shipping
Gloves: $69 free shipping
Ear Plugs: $5 locally

Total for my priority gear is ~$470

The only reason I am buying a mesh jacket is during the unbearable summer days in northern California. I sweat sometimes when wearing just a cotton t-shirt so I don't think I will be comfortable in a heavy leather jacket. I plan on using the mesh jacket on the super hot 95+ degree days and the leather otherwise year-round. Otherwise, I wont feel safe in mesh when riding. The helmet matches my bike and the tinted shield will be used on during daytime.

After summer when I save more money and gain a little experience I will invest in a pair of boots and textile pants.

Let me know what yall think? I am open to suggestions and comments. Nothing is 100% and I am open to better ideas. However, I am pretty set on my helmet because its the perfect price and color

Old June 20th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

I wouldn't ride at all without boots. Ankle injuries can have an effect on quality of life for decades; saving $200 now just isn't wise.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old June 20th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #19
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I wouldn't ride at all without boots. Ankle injuries can have an effect on quality of life for decades; saving $200 now just isn't wise.
Gee, I wish I had said that.

Old June 20th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #20
Neema12
ninjette.org member

I completely agree that boots provide protection of a very important part of my body. However, I don't want to take out a loan or borrow money to buy something I cannot afford. I still have another ~30 days till I actually begin riding because my bike needs some work done on it and wont be ready for a few weeks.

I search local ads everyday and keep my eye out for boots that I can afford but if I cant buy any during the next few weeks I am still going to ride with the best gear I have.

If I cant find used boots locally, and I do end up getting extra $, I have the following options...

TCX X-Square All Purpose Boot $100 shipped

Most likely I will buy what I can get locally for boots and pants because my limited budget. However, I honestly appreciate the feedback from member because it puts safety into perspective and MAKES its a priority whenever I think about riding which is a major benefit of joining this forum.

Another question: Considering where I live (hot) and the type of jackets I am looking at, would you suggest normal (wrist) gloves or longer racing type gloves with full protection?

Old June 20th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #21
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I wouldn't skimp on short shoe-like boots or short gloves.

Old June 20th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #22
noche_caliente

and you need pants in addition to the boots - just ask Oh Snap....

read this whole thread over on KF if you think the boots can wait until you have extra cash:
http://www.kawiforums.com/newbie-cor...ease-read.html

Old June 20th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #23
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I`d rather get a budget jacket and cheap boots than an expensive jacket and no boots.

Check out eBay - I bought a pair of used AlpineStar boots for just $40 that would have cost me maybe $250 in the store new.

Old June 20th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #24
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Instead of buying a used A* jacket and the mesh jacket, I would buy this Teknic Chicane jacket, its perforated which will help in the hot days (not as much as Mesh I assume). Use the money saved, to buy a pair of motorbike boots.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2009, 02:50 AM   #25
Neema12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Instead of buying a used A* jacket and the mesh jacket, I would buy this Teknic Chicane jacket, its perforated which will help in the hot days (not as much as Mesh I assume). Use the money saved, to buy a pair of motorbike boots.
I understand your logic but that jacket is all sold out in sz.40... I looked around and didn't really find a better option that the two I found... maybe im not looking hard enough

Old June 21st, 2009, 11:13 AM   #26
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neema12 View Post

Most likely I will buy what I can get locally for boots and pants because my limited budget.
You are obviously not looking at the right places online. MOST of the time online is less expensive then in a store. Especially because of all the free shipping and such.

The best bit of advise I got... If you don't need it right away, try it on in the store, then find it online. Chances are you can and do find it cheaper. Once you know your fit your golden.

It takes away from the local shops yes but in a pinch they always have my money...

Just a thought.

Old June 21st, 2009, 11:18 AM   #27
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

I know it's hard to get gear on a budget, but save as best you can and get the best gear you can.
Helmet and Boots are SERIOUS necessities. NEVER skimp on these
I've seen too many riders who can never ride again due to ankle injuries or cracked skulls

Gear saves lives ... ATGATT 4Ever !!!!!
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2009, 08:54 PM   #28
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neema12 View Post
TCX X-Square All Purpose Boot $100 shipped

These boots don't look like they offer a whole lot in terms of foot armor.

I use a pair of these:

These offer fairly good protection, and a surprising amount of ankle protection given that they're low cut. Even still, these are what I consider to be the absolute minimum in terms of foot protection. New enough sells 'em for about $160. Its a great compromise until you can afford something better. You also can't beat the comfort...I've walked around all day at work in these things.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote