ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old June 11th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #41
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I have Scorpion Exo pants. I don't remember the model name. Zip out linner makes them wind/water proof and nice and warm in the cold. They are mesh so I don't even know I have them on when the linner is out.

Old June 11th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #42
Redaeon
ninjette.org newbie

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): 2008 kawi ninja 250 (ebony)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I also wear EVS knee guards. The problem with riding pants is that the knee armor moves around too much while on the bike. It only takes a second to throw on the EVS knee guards and they are much more secure and protective than the "floating" knee armor in riding pants. I barely know I'm wearing them, but they offer much better protection. I also have a pair of THOR Force knee guards, which are really well made and comfy, but they don't go on as quick and they're not as comfy as the cheaper EMS knee guards.

Yeah, I will never trust pants knee armor because they never line up completely when I wear them, and they will move if I crash in them..The EVS's are great
Redaeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #43
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

I have the draggin (kevlar-reinforced) jeans with sas-tech knee armor but fortunately I haven't crash tested them yet. For day-to-day riding, though, I usually just wear regular jeans and riding boots. I think I'm shifting to ATGATT though
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #44
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Because I was cruising forums long before I bought my first bike I had already seen too many pictures of road rash. And like Racer X my bicycling days taught me about slow speed road rash. With those two factors in mind I had all the gear before I put a leg over my first bike.

I've been using the TourMaster Flex Pants for almost a year now in everything from 10 degree winters to 95 degree summers. And yea, at a long stop sign they get a little warm, but more from the heat off the bike than they ambient temperature. With the three layers (inner winter paints, inner rain paint, and cortex outer layer) you can customize them for just about any conditions. The full length zippers allow easy in and out with the boots on unless you have the liners in then - just take the foot wear off.

Don, I have the same pants. Only had them about 3 months but they are great. I replaced TourMaster Caliber pants with these. The Caliber were just too warm to wear in the summer.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #45
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfling View Post
From what I understand though, if the guards aren't underneath pants, you risk them ripping right off with the first hit and then still hurting yourself from impact. And from my lowspeed lowside, you wouldn't BELIEVE the amount of scuffing/rash you can get even at 10 mph.
Very true.
I've worn shorts with them only a couple of times. I rode to the lake last weekend in full gear but had my swim shorts and my knee/shin guards on.
I'd say a good 90% of the time I ride I have jeans and my guards on.

Old June 11th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #46
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Ive been wearing no lower body protection at all, Im looking at getting some riding jeans and some boots though. I do wear a Scorpion EXO400 helmet, a Scorpion Hat trick jacket, and Joe Rocket phoenix gloves. I do not recomend the Phoenix gloves, ive only had them for a week and the stitching where the mesh meets the leather on the top of my right thumb is already coming apart.
My scorpion gear is great though and I will more than likely buy more stuff from them.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #47
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Chris - just beware of their cool hand mesh gloves - see my post above

Old June 11th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #48
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

When I go for my break in service at the dealer in a couple of days im gonna see if I can exchange the gloves, im a little nervous about the stitching coming out.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #49
kkim

You should consider doing the 600 mile service yourself and with the money you save buy the best gloves you can find.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #50
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
When I go for my break in service at the dealer in a couple of days im gonna see if I can exchange the gloves, im a little nervous about the stitching coming out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
You should consider doing the 600 mile service yourself and with the money you save buy the best gloves you can find.
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/600_mile_service

Old June 11th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #51
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
Don, I have the same pants. Only had them about 3 months but they are great. I replaced TourMaster Caliber pants with these. The Caliber were just too warm to wear in the summer.
I agree Ryan and I don't feel like any of the armor won't be where it needs to be. There is plenty of adjustment "inside" the pants.

Old June 11th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #52
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
~If you have crashed and were not wearing riding pants or even if you were and had injuries, please share so others can learn how important having lower body protection really is. If you think a pair of riding pants is not needed, please share your views, too.
Back in November, I got complacent and let my front wheel wash out on me in a nice slow right hand turn. I was on my way to the gas station to put the 'jette away for the winter, so it definitely fit into most people's "edge cases".

Anyway, I made the turn at ~15ish and lowsided - wearing a leather jacket, gloves, boots, helmet and jeans .

Crap, did it hurt. It was 34* F at the time, which didn't help the whole pain (or traction) scenario, but I got a grapefruit size bruise on my right hip and some rash roughly the size of a deck of cards around my knee. No medical attention, no big deal - but it felt like when you were a kid and got a rug burn. I'm old enough now that I don't like pain, and it really got me thinking about riding pants. Healed up in about a week and a half, but holy jeez - I didn't think that an impact that slow would do that much damage. I can't imagine what 60 would feel like in just jeans.

As far as my "gear", there's a slight abrasion along a seam of the jacket that no one's seen (even my girlfriend, who would probably steal my keys if she found out I crashed) and my jeans weren't damaged at all - they just had a black mark on them that came out in the wash.

EDIT: My next purchase is definitely armored pants - I'm thinking either A* A-10 or Dainese Drake Air, but I'm having trouble finding them in person and hate the idea of online returns.

Re-EDIT: I'd disagree with the folks up above that call the Icon jeans riding pants... Immediately after my drop I bought a pair of Recon and Victory jeans, and while they both work great as overpants (as they're so baggy that my normal pant size actually works as overpants) they only offer kevlar knee protection. They're baggy enough that I don't trust them to stay put in a crash, and there's zero hip protection - not kevlar nor armor.
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #53
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb48 View Post
Alpinestars Bat pants, Tourmaster Solution boots. It gets hot when you have to stop, but it's OK when it's under 90 degrees and you're moving.

Chris
hey chris, i wear my bat sport pants and alpinestar plus boots everytime i ride, and they are comfortable and not hot at all here in los angeles...maybe it is because i live close to the beach

haven't gone down yet in 52,000 miles, almost all of those in the twisties and canyons, but i am sure they are protective
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #54
cwb48
Mature motorcyclist

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitoy
haven't gone down yet in 52,000 miles, almost all of those in the twisties and canyons, but i am sure they are protective
I haven't been down on mine either (not 52,000, but maybe half of that), but I'm sure they will provide good protection. I know that I feel a lot more secure when I'm wearing all the stuff.

Chris
cwb48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #55
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Wear Icon's Field Armor Knee and Shin Protection under army ripstop cargos. These BDU's are double covered knees and butt and scuff from a slide rather than rip. The ripstop is definately cooler in the Texas heat. Sometimes Icon Strongarm jeans. The pads are low profile and never noticed under any type of pant. Always wear my Teknic Freestyle boots or Harley Dipsticks for foot protection.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #56
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

When I started, I just had joe rocket jeans with icon armor under them.

Bought some leather A* pants about a month later.

Now I just have my 1pc teknic suit.

I feel naked riding the bike in anything less than moo moo hide all over my body.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #57
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterick4o8 View Post
shorts and flip flops usually work well I heard, no?
shorts, flip flops, and no shirt* (saw that the other day on a gsxr)
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #58
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I have a pair of textile riding overpants. They are great - but I only bother wearing them when riding on the open road.
The majority of my riding is short trips or spur of the moment: a 15 minute commute across town, a 10 minute ride to the local mall, a quick 5 minute jaunt down the ocean road to get an ice cream cone, etc. For rides like that, it's easy to grab my helmet, jacket, gloves, and even boots, but I don't bother with the overpants.
When I leave town and head out on the highway, though, the overpants are put to use.

Old June 18th, 2009, 02:50 AM   #59
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Mil-spec cotton ripstop BDU pants. These are the only kind of pants (and shorts) I wear to do anything. I've dropped my bike wearing them, (not trying to sound proud of crashing btw) and these pants held up and kept the skin on my knees. There were burns on my knees from the pants themselves tho so maybe this post is moot.

BTW: the shorts never see the bike.

Last futzed with by tapdiggy; June 18th, 2009 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Clarifying I'm not totally squid.
tapdiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #60
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Mine is a Joe Rocket "Alter Ego". Very well padded on the hip, with knee protection, has a removable water-proof liner and unzippable air vents. The material seems skid-proof, but I don't particularly want to test it.

Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #61
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

http://www.gussetjeans.com/defender_inside_out/
These are likely my next gear purchase. I worked in a textile mill where kevlar was woven. It is the best for abrasion/cut resistance. Also doesn't transfer heat from friction much.