ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Notices

Old January 29th, 2023, 05:50 AM   #1
jjmaine
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250, '16 Ninja 300

Raising ride height?

What I'm doing is trying a 150/60 rear tire which should lower my bike roughly .5" in the rear but I'd like to end up a little higher than stock so when I install the Gsxr600 shock, I plan to use Ninja 500 dogbones (which should raise it about 1" so I have read) and I'll end up .5" higher than stock in the rear.

I'm wondering how much to raise the front to keep the same geometry? Do I raise the front the same .5" or is there some formula I need to follow?

The other thing is, I have added an Ohlins fork cartridge kit but I want to keep the oem handlebars in the stock position which isn't possible since the Ohlins fork caps sit 7mm taller than the forks. I either need to drop the forks or add risers...

I am wondering If I need to drop the forks (raise the front) anyway since the rear will be a bit higher after the new tire and dogbones which would mean I can just run the stock handlebars like usual?
jjmaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2023, 08:53 PM   #2
Artruck
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ex250 (black), silver 2005 ex250 scrambler, 2003 ex250 donor bike, 2006 kymco people 250

I would say, if you want to raise the whole bike, there is be a limit in the front. You might find it easier to measure the two distances of the dog bones and find a dog bone that splits the difference to make up for the tire change.

As for the handlebars, you may have to find a set of risers that have space for the new fork additions.

You are kind of going in two directions at once with the mods.

The wide rear with slow the turn in, as will a drop in the rear. But the increase in rear height will speed up turn in to compensate for the wide tire. Raising the front will take you back toward the original setup but with the wide tire slowing turn in. Adding higher bars will shift weight back and increase grip on the back slowing turn in.

What is your aim for your handling and geometry? Do you want the same as stock just wider and higher, or are you looking for a different handling setup?
Artruck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2023, 05:47 AM   #3
jjmaine
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250, '16 Ninja 300

I'm trying to get somewhere close to stock after everything but I am sure I'll adjust as I go. I went with a Gsxr rear shock and Ninja 500 dogbones. The 150 rear tire should lower the rear about .5" (have not installed it yet) and the Ex500 dogbones raise it 7/8". To fit my handlebars over the Ohlins fork caps, I bought a set of 1" risers and a friend is currently milling them down to 7mm. Just enough to fit the Ohlins fork caps underneath without raising the bars more than necessary.
jjmaine is offline   Reply With Quote