ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:38 AM   #1
ChaosFromAbove
Money is a drug.

Name: Chaos

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ZX-6r, 2010 250r (RIP)

GSXRs and Squids go hand in hand.

So my college classes started yesterday and of course I rode my ninja. On the way there i saw 2 people riding gsxrs (both 600s i believe) neither one of them were wearing gear (minus the helmet), shorts and short sleeved shirts. Don't get me wrong it was really hot yesterday, so hot/humid that I wasn't wearing my jacket (gloves, pants, and ankle covering shoes =]). So neways, I get to the college and notice a large row of bikes parked, so of course i parked with them. there were 7 bikes, 4 of them gsxrs one of them a cbr, a harley, and a big assed scooter.

I eventually saw the 4 other gsxr riders and they were all in shorts and short sleeved shirts and tennis shoes. then while i was leaving i saw yet ANOTHER gsxr. It was one of the nicest looking gsxrs i've seen in a while, all white, with black/red lettering, i really liked it...but of course the rider was a friggin squid.

so...i have come to the conclusion that most gsxr owners are squids (at least in south jersey). lol just thought i'd share that with you guys, and wanted to hear your experiences
ChaosFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

I wouldnt stereotype to a specific brand, squids are squids regardless of what kinda mc. I speak from experience cause I ride squid a lot , although on spirited rides/freeway/canyon etc. I gear up. Its funny cause I ride my beach cruiser around and I'm more frightened lol.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:48 AM   #3
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

LOL you know that you were pretty much riding squid too, right? Unless of course your t-shirt and jeans were kevlar coated.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:57 AM   #4
ChaosFromAbove
Money is a drug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
LOL you know that you were pretty much riding squid too, right? Unless of course your t-shirt and jeans were kevlar coated.
lol my jeans are kevlar...but it was just too ****ing hot for a leather jacket. not like i was in shorts or anything. didnt think wearing everything but my jacket was squidly....oh wellz. lol

OH i just realized u ride a gsxr...do u wear gear? I'm not trying to bash all gsxr riders, i'm just saying its a common site here in jersey. I like the looks of gsxrs, its just strange that like EVERYONE has one around here...which is y i guess ther are mostly squids riding them. I'm willing to bet that if the ninja was more popular around here there would b more squids riding them as well

Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFromAbove View Post
lol my jeans are kevlar...but it was just too ****ing hot for a leather jacket. not like i was in shorts or anything. didnt think wearing everything but my jacket was squidly....oh wellz. lol

OH i just realized u ride a gsxr...do u wear gear? I'm not trying to bash all gsxr riders, i'm just saying its a common site here in jersey. I like the looks of gsxrs, its just strange that like EVERYONE has one around here...which is y i guess ther are mostly squids riding them. I'm willing to bet that if the ninja was more popular around here there would b more squids riding them as well
LOL yea I generally wear a jacket. My minimum usually involves a mesh jacket...but my jeans aren't lined. In reality, jeans, lined or not, aren't that much better than shorts haha. But whatever...I actually don't care what people wear.

The gixxer and squid relationship probably has more to do with the fact that gixxers generally go a hell of a lot cheaper than other bikes sometimes. Some of the sales around my area for new gsxrs are pretty shocking haha. That and there seems to be some kind of misguided belief that gixxers make awesome beginner bikes.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:14 AM   #6
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
That and there seems to be some kind of misguided belief that gixxers make awesome beginner bikes.
They have the lowest seat height of the supersports. Guess that makes new buyers feel more comfortable when they sit on them.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:24 AM   #7
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
They have the lowest seat height of the supersports. Guess that makes new buyers feel more comfortable when they sit on them.
That's true. Their engines are also hailed as being some of the most streetable as well. The new ones are ugly as crap, though.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:37 AM   #8
ChaosFromAbove
Money is a drug.

interesting...that makes sense lol. Ur kinda right about the whole "who cares what people wear" thing. Sometimes its just impractical to wear full leathers (like going to school or to hang with friends). I've rode my route to work so much (about 3mi from my house) that I don't wear my jacket on hot days, just because i dont wanna arrive to work sweating. One thing i will never wear while riding is shorts though. I've had a pretty bad accident already while wearing jeans (with a mesh jacket and gloves) and i was lucky enough to come out with the minimal injuries i had.

so if you wanna get rashed up and have a wire brush run through your flesh thats on you lol.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Ninja_Moose
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

That is a majority of people that ride on campus here, helmet and possibly a jacket. Most of the time it will be shorts, regular shoes, and a t-shirt. Doesn't matter what bike/scooter they are riding.
Ninja_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:49 AM   #10
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

I don't think it's fair to label people squids just for not wearing full gear when it's just too damn hot out to do so. Hell, I've hardly worn a jacket all summer.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:13 AM   #11
edbro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

No gear doesn't mean that they're squids necessarily, just means that they're stupid. If it's too hot to wear your gear, leave the motorcycle at home, at least that is what I think.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:32 PM   #12
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

"Too hot" is a lame excuse. A good mesh jacket lets LOTS of air through. I live in Florida and always gear up. If I'm feeling wimpy about the weather I just drive my car.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:46 PM   #13
killerkay3
=°°=

Name: Imran

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha R6 / 2008 Green Ninja 250 (Sold)

I see squids everywhere here, and they ride all kinds of bikes

Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:20 PM   #14
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousD View Post
"Too hot" is a lame excuse. A good mesh jacket lets LOTS of air through. I live in Florida and always gear up. If I'm feeling wimpy about the weather I just drive my car.
+1, don't ride if it's "too hot". would you rather sweat or get rashed all to hell? i'm confident my mesh jacket will hold up just fine. besides, it'll take a hell of a lot longer to grind through the armor in the jacket than it would bare flesh.

at the end of the day........do what you want, just don't bitch about scarred, disfigured, missing limbs cause you wanted to be comfortable.

want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:20 PM   #15
WindMeUp
Small Bike Abuser

Name: Stevo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE, GSX650FK8, DL650K5, CH80K2, AN400K7, SH150i

Gixxer..derrrrrrrr, cutoffs...derrrrrrrrr, short sleeves...derrrrrrrr, tennis shoes...derrrrrrrrr

Please...somebody start an oil thread!

Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:28 PM   #16
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I will confess that last night after tending to all the outdoor furniture, etc in advance of a hurricane I hopped on my bike in tshirt, shorts, helmet, gloves and sneakers. 20 miles later I was at the beach and normally I feel naked riding without my tourmaster mesh jacket.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:35 PM   #17
WindMeUp
Small Bike Abuser

Name: Stevo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE, GSX650FK8, DL650K5, CH80K2, AN400K7, SH150i

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
I will confess that last night after tending to all the outdoor furniture, etc in advance of a hurricane I hopped on my bike in tshirt, shorts, helmet, gloves and sneakers. 20 miles later I was at the beach and normally I feel naked riding without my tourmaster mesh jacket.
I'm getting ready to go Squiding right now....on a Kawasaki, not a Suzuki (that was for the OP)

Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:50 PM   #18
Cuongism

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsketch View Post
"a good mesh" jackets are usually pretty worthless above 60mph
Is this from experience? You seem to justify not wearing gear by devaluing the protection hot-weather gear provides. Obviously they wont protect as much as leather, but it's a lot better than tshirts.
From what I read (reviews and other forums), mesh gear offer pretty good protection. They'll generally have CE armor in the shoulders and elbows. You should still upgrade the back armor if the jacket doesnt have CE armor there since most likely you'll be sliding on your back. The mesh is only at the front and back and the rest is textile which offers good abrasion resistance.
If you crash going over 60mph, would you rather slide a few hundred feet on bare flesh or about 50 feet after (if) the gear gets worn through?

From the ninja250wiki:

If you're looking at mesh gear, the mesh materials tested did surprisingly well on abrasion tests. Most good mesh gear will have ballistic nylon in high-wear areas; look for it. Mesh gear is an excellent idea if you're going to be riding in temperatures from 80 to 95 degrees F, as it will keep you from overheating.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:51 PM   #19
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
From what I've seen of the show about Jersey, everyone there is a squid. They don't even need a motorcycle. As a matter of fact Rhode Island fits in to that group too.

Oh yea, everyone that crashes is a squid too.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 02:07 PM   #20
Cuongism

Quote:
as much as all the atgatt peeps in the thread are flapping the gums, I would bet money most if not all of you ride without all of the gear at times, yet still come to the internet and are like ATGATT ATGATT!!!!
I don't ATGATT at all actually, but it's my choice just like it's yours. I just didn't like that you said mesh gear would be worthless over 60mph which would make others think the same.
If I do plan on getting on the freeway, I do put on a jacket.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 04:36 PM   #21
Flashmonkey

I saw some dood wearing a mesh jacket....but he had shorts on. Like...do the shorts cancel out the jacket?

Old September 3rd, 2010, 04:46 PM   #22
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

I always ride with helmet and gloves - if weather permits, I add a jacket and pants along with Sidi boots. Sometimes, I forgo the jacket for a long sleeve shirt and Icon vest. Everytime I ride without all gear, especially in shorts, I feel like I'm asking for trouble, but the damn heat is too much. I should mention, that I am mainly a fair weather rider, so I don't do much riding in the Summer months here in Central Texas.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:22 PM   #23
ChaosFromAbove
Money is a drug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousD View Post
Sometimes too hot is a valid excuse. I used to own a mesh jacket but it was shreded in my accident (i was cut off on an off ramp and put into a wall). Without a doubt it prevented a lot of abrasion. I swore to myself after that I'd purchase a leather, which i did. I wish i had the money to purchase a new mesh, but between college and other payments, i can't afford it. As for driving another vehicle, I would if I could. Right now my truck is ****ed, it doesn't start up and i'm saving to get it repaired. It's nice to see you have the money to buy nice stuff, but some of us can't afford it and have to make do with what we have. So, that being said, i'd rather ride without my leather jacket on a 90+ degree day then risk heat exhaustion and crash.

P.S. If you want you can send me a mesh jacket so that i can be safe lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
From what I've seen of the show about Jersey, everyone there is a squid. They don't even need a motorcycle. As a matter of fact Rhode Island fits in to that group too.

You can't compare jersey with that stupid show. The guidos on it arent even from new jersey (new york). not to mention the "jersey shore" that they portray is in north jersey, which as every new jersian knows is the fake jersey shore. the real jersey shore is in south jersey.

man i hate "reality" tv...its sad what people refer to as entertainment.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:34 PM   #24
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:

One of those Jersey Shore idiots is from Johsnton, RI (Guido capitol of RI). Lots of Jersey kids go to URI. Probably explains the RI/Jersey connection.
From RI,
Greg

Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:36 PM   #25
ChaosFromAbove
Money is a drug.

Quote:
this thread is a fail,
that may be...but im not gonna lie...its interesting lol

Quote:
One of those Jersey Shore idiots is from Johsnton, RI (Guido capitol of RI). Lots of Jersey kids go to URI. Probably explains the RI/Jersey connection.
From RI,
Greg
lmao...interesting fact...so would u be part of this guidoness?

Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:38 PM   #26
backinthesaddleagain

haha, no disrespect to the Jersey ninjette members intended.
status :Watching the Cat 4 (eh cat3, eh cat 2, 1, tropical storm) in RI.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:40 PM   #27
ChaosFromAbove
Money is a drug.

Quote:
haha, no disrespect to the Jersey ninjette members intended.
status :Watching the Cat 4 (eh cat3, eh cat 2, 1, tropical storm) in RI.
none taken...if anything ur only offending the northern new jersians...but i have to say...the jersey shore is like a train wreck, you see it, it hurts you, but u cant seem to look away.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:46 PM   #28
ChaosFromAbove
Money is a drug.

Quote:
I personally do not think it is right to generalize a whole population as something you do not like. If that were okay then it would also be okay to generalize entire races, religions etc.
i'm not saying i dont like a population, im saying i hate the show thats making the NJ population look bad.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 06:06 PM   #29
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFromAbove View Post
none taken...if anything ur only offending the northern new jersians...but i have to say...the jersey shore is like a train wreck, you see it, it hurts you, but u cant seem to look away.
haha - train wreck

Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:04 PM   #30
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
From RI,
Greg
Greg, I didn't want to use the guido label in case someone got offended, however; that was my correlation.

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; September 4th, 2010 at 08:37 AM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:08 PM   #31
backinthesaddleagain

Hey I am half Italian, my wife is all Italian, so the kids are 3/4 Italian so Guido is ok, much less offensive than some other terms.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:09 PM   #32
Anteraan
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (Blue)

Funny, 90+ degrees here and typical humidity (65+%), and my perforated leather jacket keeps me plenty cool, even with a helmet, protective jeans, and gloves.

Your mileage may vary, but I love my Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:15 PM   #33
ChaosFromAbove
Money is a drug.

Quote:
Hey I am half Italian, my wife is all Italian, so the kids are 3/4 Italian so Guido is ok, much less offensive than some other terms.
i'm half as well =]

Old September 4th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #34
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
That's why you live in RI. The only other place you're allowed to live is in NJ.

I have to say I love Italians. Very colorfull people.

Now those French, that's another story. I guess that's why they have Woonsocket.

Old September 4th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #35
backinthesaddleagain

yeah but woonsocket isn't quite what it used to be nationality wise. I believe a non-French woonsocket mother coached her daughter during a fight before high school one morning against another girl. As they would say in woonsocket, line up side by each, and bring it over here, the car.

Old September 14th, 2010, 05:39 AM   #36
Ultra_Magnus
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2010 VFR1200

You could argue that wearing gear out when its hot is more dangerous. Being hot can be a huge distraction and can lead to an accident.

Plus look at china, 90% of the populace is riding on two wheels with only a half helmet, they doin alright.

That being said, i ride with all my gear 95% of the time. But if whatever reason my mesh got ruined and i had an option to wear nothing or my leather, ide go nothing if it was too hot out.

Ide rather have my concentration.

Maybe once i crash once and get road rash ill change my thought, but it hasnt happend yet..
Ultra_Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #37
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
That's why you live in RI. The only other place you're allowed to live is in NJ.

I have to say I love Italians. Very colorfull people.

Now those French, that's another story. I guess that's why they have Woonsocket.
FUN TIMES IN WOONSOCKET:
WOONSOCKET — The Woonsocket police Tasered and arrested a former police officer after they pulled her over for speeding Friday and she refused to get out of her car.

Marsha Bish, 34, of 195 Main St., Blackstone, Mass., a patrolwoman for the Woonsocket police from 2004 to 2008 and ex-wife of the former police chief, said she would not get out of her car until a supervisor came to the scene.

Bish was charged with possession of marijuana, possession of cocaine, resisting arrest, assaulting a police officer and driving with a controlled substance. She was also cited for speeding and violating the noise ordinance.

Old September 14th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #38
harlumjp
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Totaled 2010 Ninja 250r :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali619 View Post
Its funny cause I ride my beach cruiser around and I'm more frightened lol.
+1

I recently started riding my beach cruiser to work and yesterday I had more close calls than my whole time on the ninjette!
harlumjp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #39
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

ALWAYS a helmet and gloves, I usually slip on my riding shoes as their almost as comfy as my skate shoes and then weather determines if I wear the jacket.

Squidy, not in my opinion. I think of squids as the kids on Gixxers dressed like I do but popping wheelies/doing burnouts/generally being a massive dumbass.
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #40
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i think cindy nailed it... Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Imminently Dead.