ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 3rd, 2011, 01:53 PM   #81
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

That's awesome to hear!! If it were I, I would put a couple hundred miles on a tune before switching. Try various conditions so that you get a tune that suits your overall riding style. Thanks for the update!

Old July 3rd, 2011, 07:39 PM   #82
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Congrats on getting the bike running. Doesn't look like the kit is a true PnP though. What have to be mod so far to get it all up and running?
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:11 PM   #83
diwhiteii
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2013 Ninja 300

Hi Forbitel,

I bought the kit too but I am having some problems getting it runing right so it is not drivable, it keeps shutting off when I give it gas. So I wanted to re-check some things since you got yours running. How did you hook the crank senor connector wires, yellow on the bike to orange on the kit and black with white stripe on the bike to green on the kit. That is how I wired mine according to the service manual. Is that right? I have a 2009 Ninja 250R. Matt from Ecotrons said you had a 2010 250R. I have alot done to my bike, is yours stock? I have a BRT- TIS IC, jardine SS race exhaust, original Kawa throttle bodies from europe and custom velocity stacks for the new throttle bodies. I also have a ton of custom stuff done to the appearence of the bike 13K worth. One other thing did you hook the KEYSW wire, pink on the kit, to the brown ignition wire on the bike.

Hope you can clear this up for me. If anyone else can help me too that would be helpful

Thanks,

David
diwhiteii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #84
diwhiteii
ninjette.org guru

Hello everyone,

I found the problem. My BRT-Tis is vulnerable to electrical surrounding noise, so everytime I would start the engine it would run for a little and backfire then shut-off. After alot of trial and error with Matt from Ecotrons we found this out. I put the original IC controller from Kawasaki and it started with no problem. I drove it around for the first time yesterday and was excited to ride, next will come the fine tuning. If you have the money buy the EFI kit it is worth it. By the way, when I had the carburetors on my bike with all my modifications, Factory Pro dyno tuned my bike and ran into problems with the BRT TIS initially,but managed to tune it. Only problem was they had my bike for two weeks.

Thanks,

David

Old July 5th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #85
randomwalk101
self wrencher

David. Glad you figured it out. Can you wrap the BRT TIS with foil or put some type of insulation to block out the electro interference?

Old July 5th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #86
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Thanks for the interesting update David. I wonder if it would help to use some sort of EMI shield like this: http://www.hollandshielding.com/inde...&id=203&Lang=2

Old July 5th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #87
forbitel
ninjette.org member

Name: telecom

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwhiteii View Post
Hi Forbitel,

I bought the kit too but I am having some problems getting it runing right so it is not drivable, it keeps shutting off when I give it gas. So I wanted to re-check some things since you got yours running. How did you hook the crank senor connector wires, yellow on the bike to orange on the kit and black with white stripe on the bike to green on the kit. That is how I wired mine according to the service manual. Is that right? I have a 2009 Ninja 250R. Matt from Ecotrons said you had a 2010 250R. I have alot done to my bike, is yours stock? I have a BRT- TIS IC, jardine SS race exhaust, original Kawa throttle bodies from europe and custom velocity stacks for the new throttle bodies. I also have a ton of custom stuff done to the appearence of the bike 13K worth. One other thing did you hook the KEYSW wire, pink on the kit, to the brown ignition wire on the bike.

Hope you can clear this up for me. If anyone else can help me too that would be helpful

Thanks,

David
David, sorry for the late response, been busy at work, I hope we can help you to get up and running. Yes, that is correct, the crank sensor is connected as you indicated, Yellow (at CDI harness) = Orange (CKP wire, Kit harness), Black/White (at CDI harness) = Green (crank sensor GND wire, Kit harness).

I initially had problem connecting the KEYSW, I first connected to the Grey wire on the CDI which gave me 12V upon Key ON, however it would not provide enough power to run the system. I decided to connect the KEYSW to the Brown/Black wire in the CDI ignition harness, this wire receives 12V when KeyON and is protected by the fuse block with the same 10A fuse dedicated already for ignition. I discovered that the KEYSW wire is not only a keyON logic sense wire but it is used a main power supply of all externals components, Oxygen sensor heater, gas pump, it is actually what provides power to the external relay, so you need to ensure that the KEYSW is a 12V wire with enough current, the 10A fused ignition Brown/Black did the trick for me.

Having the electrical diagram of the bike helps a lot, Matt (ecotrons) was really nice and gave it to me. If you don't have it Ask him for it or let me know I could send it to you.

Are you able to turn it on?
Good Luck
forbitel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #88
forbitel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I found the problem. My BRT-Tis is vulnerable to electrical surrounding noise, so everytime I would start the engine it would run for a little and backfire then shut-off. After alot of trial and error with Matt from Ecotrons we found this out. I put the original IC controller from Kawasaki and it started with no problem. I drove it around for the first time yesterday and was excited to ride, next will come the fine tuning. If you have the money buy the EFI kit it is worth it. By the way, when I had the carburetors on my bike with all my modifications, Factory Pro dyno tuned my bike and ran into problems with the BRT TIS initially,but managed to tune it. Only problem was they had my bike for two weeks.

Thanks,

David
David, Great News, Now I have someone to corroborate that it will put a huge smile in your face once you ride the bike with EFI . I cant wait to save some more money to add a full exhaust system.

Old July 5th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #89
forbitel
ninjette.org member

I will be posting pics soon, thanks for waiting so patently. This is coming from a guy that wants his toys up and running NOW. lol.

Old July 5th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #90
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

My friend with a 2010 250r is actually up for doing this on his bike(I use mine for every day commuting and detest using my car enough that I cannot go a day without riding ), probably come winter time when he's going to store it anyways. We'd be doing this together actually, and I was wondering how hard would this be and how long would it take(with some guidance of course )? We're both pretty mechanically inclined, but neither have us have taken apart a bike to the degree I assume this would entail...
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #91
forbitel
ninjette.org member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiainen View Post
My friend with a 2010 250r is actually up for doing this on his bike(I use mine for every day commuting and detest using my car enough that I cannot go a day without riding ), probably come winter time when he's going to store it anyways. We'd be doing this together actually, and I was wondering how hard would this be and how long would it take(with some guidance of course )? We're both pretty mechanically inclined, but neither have us have taken apart a bike to the degree I assume this would entail...
Etiainen, it was not too hard to be honest if you dedicate a little time first to do some research and get a little educated on an EFI system, so you know what to do instead of trying to find out during installation. it took me 3 half sundays, so I spend 3 weeks without a bike , but mostly because my lack of free time, I think if you have all the tools and knowledge you can get it done in 3 consecutive days maybe less if you keep at it.

Old July 5th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #92
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbitel View Post
Etiainen, it was not too hard to be honest if you dedicate a little time first to do some research and get a little educated on an EFI system, so you know what to do instead of trying to find out during installation. it took me 3 half sundays, so I spend 3 weeks without a bike , but mostly because my lack of free time, I think if you have all the tools and knowledge you can get it done in 3 consecutive days maybe less if you keep at it.
Wow, that actually sounds pretty doable then, how does the installation manual provided compare with the new-gen ninjas?(EDIT: I see they provide the differences between each in the manual) Were there any major differences/issues that you ran into?
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #93
randomwalk101
self wrencher

What additional parts, besides what's come with the EFI did you have to purchase?

Old July 5th, 2011, 11:33 PM   #94
diwhiteii
ninjette.org guru

Pictures of my bike with the EFI

Hello Everyone,

Here are pictures of the whole installation finished. I replaced the the 2 T fuel connectors with better quality ones. I replaced all the tubing with Helix Blue 1/4 fuel line so I could see the fuel moving. I am using a k&N filter at the moment but plan to change to custom velocity stacks when they arrive from australia . I mounted the ECU nicely under the seat, attached the engine temp sensor below the throttle bodies on the back side, plugged the vacuum hole on the tank and turned the screw from ON to pri position (no vacuum). I had the O2 sensors welded at a angle. I installed the MAP sensor on the #1 throttle body, plugged the hole on the #2 throttle body, ran the fuel return line to spot number #3 on the side of the tank, removed the decelleration cable and ran all the wires neatly. The keyswitch (pink) is soldered directly to the ignition wire at the fuse box(brown with black stripe). The CKP orange & green ground wire are soldered at the crank sensor wire harness(yellow wire is positive, black with white stripe is negitive ). Wiring took a while because I like it perfect, plus I enjoy electrical. When all the body parts are put back on you will see nothing. As you'll see I have alot of custom stuff on my bike in the pictures all of my custom fiberglass body work is off because I am still making some adjustments, so I left it off. This information should help you install the kit. Some pictures in the new manual for the EFI kit are of my bike. By the way, as far as the engine mods I have a jardine ss race full exhaust, BRT TIS CDI preprogrammed, and K&N filter. I will see how many pictures I can get on this site. If I cant get them all on, you can give me your email and I can send them to you. I took 45 pictures total. And to you Tri thank you for the link for the EMI shielding I will but some and try it and let you know.

If anyone has any questions about the install feel free to ask.

David

P6271022n.jpg P6271023n.jpg P6271024n.jpg P6271025n.jpg P6271027n.jpg P6271028n.jpg P6271029n.jpg P6271030n.jpg P6271032n.jpg P6271033n.jpg P6271035n.jpg P6271039n.jpg P6271040n.jpg P6271041n.jpg P6271042n.jpg P6271046n.jpg P6271048n.jpg P6271051n.jpg P6271052n.jpg P6271053n.jpg

Old July 5th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #95
diwhiteii
ninjette.org guru

More Pictures of EFI Kit

Here are more pictures.

Enjoy,

David

P6271054n.jpg P6271055n.jpg P6271056n.jpg P6271057n.jpg P6271058n.jpg P6271059n.jpg P6271060n.jpg P6271063n.jpg P6271068n.jpg P6271069n.jpg P6271072n.jpg P6271073n.jpg P6271075n.jpg P6271076n.jpg P6271078n.jpg P7031086.JPG P7031088.jpg P7031089.JPGP7031090.jpg P7031091.jpg

Old July 6th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #96
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
the link for the EMI shielding I will but some and try it and let you know.
Might be EMI, sometimes stuff backfeed's noise down the electrical system.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #97
forbitel
ninjette.org member

David, Congrats on getting the conversion completed successfully. Hey, I was wondering what are you experiences with the kit so far. I noticed that in ECO mode the system does have more torque at the bottom end, but losses torque at the top end. According to the info I got from ecotrons ECO mode tries to do Stoichiometric mixture all the time. the original curve form our carbs seems to be richer at the top end which makes sense since a 0.85 lambda gives you the most torque with the expense of more fuel consumption. Setting the switch to Rich brings back all the torque at the top end. Have you noticed the same?

Old July 13th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #98
randomwalk101
self wrencher

so with this FI kit, the speedo is still mechanical? The kit doesn't replaces the mech as with stock FI?

Old July 13th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #99
diwhiteii
ninjette.org guru

More Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
so with this FI kit, the speedo is still mechanical? The kit doesn't replaces the mech as with stock FI?
The kit does not affect the speedo it is still mechanical. I have digital guages from koso RX-2 GP-Style Speedometer. This is the one I have below. Here are some more pictures of the install and my custom velocity stacks on my Keihin throttle bodies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7121093.jpg (80.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg P7121094.jpg (94.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg P7121095.jpg (76.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P7121098.jpg (93.5 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg P7121101.jpg (90.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (9.6 KB, 530 views)

Old July 14th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #100
Buffalony
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

You gotta post pics when you get those lowers done. Your bike is pretty nice from what I've seen.

Old July 19th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #101
assripp3r
ninjette.org member

Name: Canada

Motorcycle(s): 250

man someone please make an instructional video. step by step. some mechanics wont even touch my tank to add a another pitcock. i like to see this work before give some guy 500 bucks. theres some kits on ebay for ninja 250r and the same guy (mat) but no one bought them there...
assripp3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #102
pop0tart
ninjette.org member

Name: Dash

Motorcycle(s): stolen :(

Quote:
Here are more pictures.

Enjoy,

David
I don't want to imagine how much all those mods ran you, but I would love to see pics of your bike fully faired.
pop0tart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #103
diwhiteii
ninjette.org guru

ALL my Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop0tart View Post
I don't want to imagine how much all those mods ran you, but I would love to see pics of your bike fully faired.
Yes I have a massive amount of money in this bike, it is one of my hobbies. I will take pictures of it with all the fairings,but it is still not painted because I have been going back and forth on what two colors to choose. I noticed that someone also said they want a video. I will work on it when I get back to town in 10 days. I will do a full video and answer questions for people that are undecided on the kit. I have been working closely with Matt from ECOtrons because I have special parts on my bike. If anyone needed help installing the kit I could give you my phone number and help you with any questions. I kit was fun to install and if anyone lived close to San Francisco I could help them locally.

Thanks,

David

Old July 20th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #104
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Yes I have a massive amount of money in this bike, it is one of my hobbies.
I like your answer to the money comment. Right to the point.

There's always been a little friction here on the forum between guys who see there EX-250 as simply basic transportation (in which case the object is to spend as little as possible on it) and the guys who view the bike as part of their favorite hobby. I guess it's human nature to be surprised by or even critical of somebody's choice to spend money in a way that you wouldn't. It's hard to make the jump to seeing the motorcycle (in this case) from another person's viewpoint.

But I'm definitely with you in the "hobby" group when it comes to my EX-250.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #105
MKlein3004
Fighting Texas Aggie '08

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Race), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636 (Track), 2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Street)

When the 250 becomes my track bike, this appears to be something I would consider. I am wondering what kind of power band and reliability this kit has when it is fully tuned. I'm in on this discusion

Last futzed with by MKlein3004; July 20th, 2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: iPad keyboard sucks. Lol
MKlein3004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #106
assripp3r
ninjette.org member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes I have a massive amount of money in this bike, it is one of my hobbies. I will take pictures of it with all the fairings,but it is still not painted because I have been going back and forth on what two colors to choose. I noticed that someone also said they want a video. I will work on it when I get back to town in 10 days. I will do a full video and answer questions for people that are undecided on the kit. I have been working closely with Matt from ECOtrons because I have special parts on my bike. If anyone needed help installing the kit I could give you my phone number and help you with any questions. I kit was fun to install and if anyone lived close to San Francisco I could help them locally.

Thanks,

David
basically its the gas tank project of the kit for me and
The 2xO2 sensors, Find the right spots on the exhaust pipes, drill holes, weld bungs, install the sensors. i hope you can do it like non mechanic can understand. I cant wait...oh and what about velocity stacks? how did you fasten them?

Old July 21st, 2011, 11:56 PM   #107
greg737
-

Here's what my 2005 EX-250 Fuel Injection project bike sounds like.

It's not the kit you're discussing in this thread, this is a "one-of-a-kind" configuration that I put together myself. It uses a Microsquirt FI controller.

Best to watch it on a computer with good speakers, my laptop doesn't do it justice but it sounds just like I'm riding it when I watch on my home computer.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:45 PM   #108
assripp3r
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Here's what my 2005 EX-250 Fuel Injection project bike sounds like.

It's not the kit you're discussing in this thread, this is a "one-of-a-kind" configuration that I put together myself. It uses a Microsquirt FI controller.

Best to watch it on a computer with good speakers, my laptop doesn't do it justice but it sounds just like I'm riding it when I watch on my home computer.

Link to original page on YouTube.

what did I just watch?!?

Old July 23rd, 2011, 01:16 AM   #109
greg737
-

What do you think you just watched?

Old July 23rd, 2011, 01:29 AM   #110
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

old pair of boots

Old July 23rd, 2011, 09:53 AM   #111
greg737
-

Quote:
old pair of boots
So you saw two boots?

Old July 23rd, 2011, 03:31 PM   #112
rusninja

nope but im pretty sure unless your wearing to different boots makes it a pair :P

Old July 24th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #113
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by assripp3r View Post
what did I just watch?!?

That was the boot creek run.

Joking aside, I did enjoy the vid.

So when will a drop in FIS be availabe ? ?

What are the other benefits besides warm-up and custom mapping? I'm guessing a smoother pull is one?

Old July 25th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #114
Johnnyscoots
Over 40 Ninjette Owner

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki VN900C (Black), 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Red/Two Bros. Slip on, 41 Tooth Rear Sprocket)

To quote the inimitable Jeremy (Jezza) Clarkson:

POWER!!!!!!!!!!!

Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:07 PM   #115
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Quote:
So you saw two boots?
If you show me one, I'll imagine the other...

Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:23 AM   #116
rusninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
If you show me one, I'll imagine the other...
i agree ! its not like socks two different shoes and id think it was uncomfortable.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 09:50 PM   #117
pop0tart
ninjette.org member

Name: Dash

Motorcycle(s): stolen :(

Quote:
I like your answer to the money comment. Right to the point.

There's always been a little friction here on the forum between guys who see there EX-250 as simply basic transportation (in which case the object is to spend as little as possible on it) and the guys who view the bike as part of their favorite hobby. I guess it's human nature to be surprised by or even critical of somebody's choice to spend money in a way that you wouldn't. It's hard to make the jump to seeing the motorcycle (in this case) from another person's viewpoint.

But I'm definitely with you in the "hobby" group when it comes to my EX-250.
I also have the compulsive need to buy new parts for the 250, (clip ons, front preload adjusters, rearset adjusters, etc.) but my cbr600rr with EFI, clip on handle bars, adjustable shocks, and stock rearsets that were fine where they were ran me $3800. I feel that if I were to put more than than $3800 into my ninja, I would be an idiot by my own definition. Maybe number crunching is one of my hobbies?

Last futzed with by pop0tart; August 26th, 2011 at 07:55 AM.
pop0tart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2011, 09:20 AM   #118
natek
ninjette.org member

Name: nathan

Motorcycle(s): Honda Ruckus

sounds like a lot of work and money. did anyone end up getting power figures or a build cost sheet?
natek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2011, 05:03 PM   #119
Indetrucks
CVMA #69

Name: Christian

Motorcycle(s): 1st Gen SV650 Race Bikes, Ninja 250R Race bike, 05 YZ125, 73 CB350 Cafe Racer

I'm lost...
Is there a summary on one of the pages?

How much was the kit?
How much HP is it putting out over stock etc...

Didn't see it in the first post.
CVMA #69
Indetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2011, 06:46 PM   #120
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Since I have a pregen, and lack the knowledge/monetary freedom to go about modding this kit to work on my bike, I hope to hear some long term reviews from others as the kit has to deal with intake/exhaust/elevation changes etc and see how it works long term. Then, after college when I get a new 250, this will be on the top of my list of things to do if the 250R isn't FI by then. very cool
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote