ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old December 30th, 2014, 09:20 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[American Motorcyclist Association] - AMA Member Tested: K&N Air Intake and Air Filte

Horsepower increase guarantee

MSRP: Varies
www.knfilters.com

By AMA Member Tester Jeff Massey

I ride a 2008 Heritage Softail that is completely stock. I have resisted the urge of customizing, somewhat because of cost, but mostly because I like the stock look and I am not a fan of loud pipes. When I had the opportunity to test the K&N Air Intake and Air Filter, I was curious but also hesitant, as many questions crossed my mind.

How difficult will this be to install?
I am not someone who regularly wrenches on my street bike, but I was pleased to find easy, step-by-step instructions (complete with pictures) that made installation a snap. Even with my modest skills, it took me less than an hour from start to finish on this project.

What sort of performance enhancement can I expect? Will I notice the difference?
While reading through the instructions, it was stated that the K&N products came with a horsepower increase guarantee. This made sense, with the increase of airflow to the engine, but would I feel or hear the difference? When I first started the bike with the new intake system, the sound wasn’t noticeably louder, but it had a lower, beefier sound that reminded me of my hot rod days as a youth. So far so good!

I was also pleasantly surprised by the responsiveness of the throttle, particularly in low gears, when riding the bike. I have always liked the torque of my Softail, but the power delivery was noticeably enhanced with the K&N system.

Will I need to have my bike tuned or remapped with the new K&N system?
I researched this topic, visiting a number of forums, and there were conflicting opinions. After an hour of searching the web, I decided to ask the experts and gave the K&N Customer Service department a call. Within 30 seconds, a friendly and knowledgeable representative on the phone explained that all K&N products were designed and manufactured within the program specifications of my bike and no tuning would be necessary. I only wish I had called K&N first. They made it easy.

How will it change the look of my bike?
I love the stock look of the Softail, so changing to a new style/shape of air cleaner was a tough decision. Do I want to tinker with something that isn’t broken?

Again, I was surprised by the K&N system. The chrome finish on the intake mount and cone-shaped air filter complimented the nostalgic look of the bike and revealed more of the engine, much of which had been hidden behind the oval-shaped, stock air cleaner.

Anyone looking for a quick, relatively inexpensive way to get better performance out of his or her bike should take a look at what K&N has to offer. I am very pleased with the performance and look of the K&N intake system.

Jeff Massey is an independent AMA Member Tester.

Click here for full story...